Draft 4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

Maybin is an attractive option, I think. You can't teach that quick first step he has.

If he falls to #23, I think we take him over all the other LB's.

The only question is that he plaed @225lbs at Penn State.

Puttin on 25lbs of pure muscle in 2 months is a little strange to me. I'm sure everything was on the up and up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Draft 4

Pats, thanks for the link. Can't help but think Mike Mamula.

Maybe you're right and he'll be the best of the bunch.

But having started only 10 games in college after arriving as a 166LBS walk-on...

....that's a gamble we might not want to make on the 1st round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

ok, so let forget Peppers for a bit

Here is a question for all my pals here.

If Andre Smith does in fact slip that far and is available at #23, is he a pick?

He really doesn't fit the profile, but had three dominant years, versus two bad days?

I just wanted to see what people thought.

Prior to missing the bowl game he was seen as the best prospect in the draft. So in some respects it would be a heck of a slip.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Well, I think the problem for Maybin was always keeping it on. If you followed him, he reported to camp at 240 once (IIRC) but he loses weight as the season progresses.

I am pretty sure he said he has been close to this weight in the offseason before.

So that in itself is a concern.

Although he is such a tremendous athlete, I think eh gets nabbed early.

So here is a question :

Maybin versus Johnson

One year wonder versus inconsistent great.
    Questionable size (maintanance?), versus maxxed size.

Which would you pick?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

I know Maybin actually has longer arms than Johnson! Or so I've heard.

One player plays with heart, excels as a raw player, and is one or two years younger than the other.

That other is 3 inches taller, 15-20 pounds heavier and is equally athletic, equally chiseled, but no more physical, and no more tough.

Both have sub-par instincts, limited experience, and have been labeled by a few as one-dimensional and workout warriors.

Both would seem to have the potential to prove those critics wrong as 3-4 OLB/DE hybrids.

Special thanks to the nfldc mock drafts I mindlessly ripped from, lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f53f26&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Kirwan has Curry dropping to number nine. I know this is totally implausible, but for the sake of discussion, do you think we'd trade up to #9 for a talent like that? Imagine Curry and Mayo roaming the middle . . .

I have a goofy smile on my face just considering the possibilities.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 4

I can't see Curry dropping as far as #9. He's the closest player to being a sure thing in the NFL. It might take a 3rd or 2nd to get Curry, but he would be worth it. There was a discussion in last year;s forum about who the best LB was (Rivers Mayo etc..) This year it is clearly Curry (like Willis was in 07). This would be a huge move; to go from #23 to #9 could prove very costly. The Pats would be set at the linebacker position for the next five years.

Hiya ZB, Smith could improve his stock if he projects himself to be a RT or RG and not a LT. He'll lose some money if he falls, but could end up on a contender. Shed some pounds and become a quality starter on the O Line. I still like Levitre and Robinson and Urbrik at OG as possible 2nd or 3rd round picks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft 4

I can't see Curry dropping as far as #9. He's the closest player to being a sure thing in the NFL. It might take a 3rd or 2nd to get Curry, but he would be worth it. There was a discussion in last year;s forum about who the best LB was (Rivers Mayo etc..) This year it is clearly Curry (like Willis was in 07). This would be a huge move; to go from #23 to #9 could prove very costly. The Pats would be set at the linebacker position for the next five years.

Hiya ZB, Smith could improve his stock if he projects himself to be a RT or RG and not a LT. He'll lose some money if he falls, but could end up on a contender. Shed some pounds and become a quality starter on the O Line. I still like Levitre and Robinson and Urbrik at OG as possible 2nd or 3rd round picks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

I don't think he'd drop either, but if he did, I'd trade up for him in a heartbeat. Just one of those 'what if' scenarios that the mock draft prompted.

I think I'm going to write up a list of every prospect we should target in each round, regardless of position. I know we might trade picks or acquire players, but assuming the picks we already have, I'm going to presnt five or six scenarios for each pick.

Why? Because I'm just that geeky. *grin*

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]I am confused about all the attention Clay Mathews is getting.

He had a great combine. Gary Guyton had a great combine.

Would someone explain to me how Mathews is a 1st round pick?
    [/Quote]

School. Position (the way he wasused), film, and pedigree.

I think his stock is too high. I also thought that Guyton would have been drafted.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

[Quote]

[/Quote]

On an other year with more blue Chippers, #9 is probably where Curry would fit. Most teams probably aren't excited about paying a non-sack artrist LB more than any other player at this spot, as good a prospect as he is.

RE: Smith. I was talking about #23. I can't think of many power RT to make it into the first round. But I think he has good LT upside with some conditioning, mostly mental. LOL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Barwin's pro day is today. Still waiting for the numbers and reports to come in. Here's a Dolphins forum discussing whether he should be picked at 25:
    http://www.phinscentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4163&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=0c2366a7c838bffc0158280535d9856a

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft 4

Barwin at #23? I've been seeing this a lot lately. I think that a bit high for an unknown who's looking at playing a OLB. He is a Patriot written all over him but that's just too high. Trading the #34 pick has been around some as well. I can't see this happening either unless there is some kind of package deal to land Maualuga.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Barwin just ran a 4.48 and a 4.52:
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090319/SPT0101/303190050/1062/SPT

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

I like my mock here

#23 Connor Barwin
    #34 James Laurinatis
    #47 Brian Robiskie
    #58 Patrick Chung
    #89 Fenuki Tupoui
    3C Coye Francies

Rd 4 Brenard Scott
    Rd 5C Andy Kemp
    Rd 6 Trade
    Rd 6C Best Available
    Rd 7 Trade

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

For some reason, i've seen Chung slip a bit lately

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Title, I love your draft, but not sure that Francies will be there that late. I bet Laurenaitis could play outside too if needed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

Francies didn't have the best combine, add in the character issues and he should last till the early 4th if we take a pass

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft 4

Yeah, and the thing that is almost too good to be true about Barwin is that every report indicates he is really smooth in the drills. He looks like a football player, who happens to be a tremendous athlete. Great combo.

What a good guy to take at #23.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

I'm sold. Barwin at #23. 100%. This guy NEEDS to be a Patriot.

We could draft members of the 2008 Olympic Chinese Gymnastics team the rest of the way as far as I'm concerned as long as we get Barwin.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 4

Honestly after this workout I'm slightly concerned that he might not even be there at #23.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Draft 4

Wait, aren't they a little underaged? =p

Seriously, though, this guy is insanely talented. The Patriots will get more out of him than any other team; he just fits too perfectly not to come here. I feel the same way about James Casey on the other side of the ball, and I think those two form an amazing defensive/offensive duo of extremely athletic, versatile players.

I have a special feeling about this season. =)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft 4

Here's the video of Barwin's workouts today. Just scroll down a couple posts.

http://bearcatsportspage.blogspot.com/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

now lets just see Barwin get taken #21, where we SHOULD pick

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft 4

but Barwin is no doubt my top target in this draft.

Sections
Shortcuts