Draft 5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brackula. Show Brackula's posts

Re: Draft 5

As expected, Coach Bill ANNIHILATED my perception of what we should be doing, in the first 2 rounds!

And that is fine with ME! In Bill We Trust!

By far, the most underrated aspect of managing a football team is the Salary Cap, the constraints of which force all teams to plan a good 3 to 5 years ahead. While that may seem ridiculous ~ and of course it IS ~ the ones who fail to do so ~ and that's at least 25 of the 32 teams, frankly! ~ continually and constantly watch, helplessly, as their teams get torn apart, as they are forced to let more of their Core leave than they can possibly afford.

The rest of the league was cutting the distance between them and Coach Bill, ere the last 4 years...

But Coach Bill is pulling away, surging, once again, and doing so right before our very eyes...VERY reminiscent of Bill Walsh and the Miners of the latter 80's.

In short, Coach Bill wasn't feeling the love for Maualuga, Matthews, et cetera...or any of the rest of the Top 32. He just didn't see them as being worth investing a Gold Chip Pick in...or, more importantly, in investing precious Salary Cap Room in.

Now, we've got 4 2nd Round Picks, and 4 3rd Round Picks.

That...is INSANE.

That is INSANE.

Right now, most Yankees are howling in rage, because Coach Bill didn't draft anyone most'f us'f ever HEARD of.

But those folks don't realize how SEISMIC this weekend's event have BEEN.

The most damaging attribute of The Salary Cap Era has been DEPTH. Had the Salary Cap not forced us ~ even with the truly MAGNIFICENT management of Coach Bill and Counselor Pioli, ere the last 9 years ~ to strip down our Reserves to vulnerable levels, we wouldn't've bottomed out at Running Back in 2005, at Wide Receivers in 2006, at LineBackers in 2007, and at QuarterBacks in 2008.

We would've, most likely, won an additional 4 Super Bowls...and been working on our 7th consecutive, right now.

The Salary Cap is EVIL.

DEPTH.

Depth of Talent.

Depth of young, talented players of Skill and Ferocity at all positions.

Because of YEARS of judicious, patient, and disciplined management of Draft Picks and Veterans, Coach Bill has put us in...an extraordinary position.

We went into this draft with the deepest and most talented team in the WORLD. In the WORLD.

We went into this draft with two guys who I'm betting will soon be considered the Greatest Coach AND the Greatest QuarterBack of All Time.

We went into this draft with a fusion of talent, experience, depth, and youth that is the ENVY of all other 31 teams.

And now we're in the middle of surging FAR ahead of where we already were.

8 picks in the first 3 Rounds???

The value of having a DEEP roster of young, talented, and dedicated professionals, playing for BEANS...can NOT be overestimated.

We are going to have ~ minus whichever number of picks we trade forward to enhance NEXT year's draft ~ anywhere from 6 to 8 Top 3 Round picks ~ and an equally advantageous position NEXT year! ~ who we'll be able to lock up for 5 YEARS, as they and the other young talents we already have infuse a TIDAL WAVE of Speed, Power, and Ferocity into this team of passionate, self-sacrificing GREATS that it is truly a privilege to root for.

Coach Bill just took out a Lien on the next 5 years.

As INSANE as it is to even say it, the best years of the Patriots are almost certainly
    yet to come.

I can't believe it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

They did a lot of work on Tate pre-draft. He'll be a great pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Tate is another outstanding pick.  He'll fall into line just like everyone else does in New England, and he's one of the 3-4 most talented receivers in the draft.  #3 receiver by 2010.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I would have thought Ne would go for a TE here. And thus was projecting them to tackle WR in the fourth.

But it is hard to argue with Tate.

It looks like Ne is putting together a farewell party for Ellis Hobbs.

Brandon Tate is another potential steal for this team. Great speed and hands. Underdeveloped as a wideout, as he was the deep threat that ran opposite Hakeem Nicks, but like Murhpy he is a kid who would do well to watch Moss and Galloway to learn how to parlay his natural speration skills into big-time catches.

I feel more comfortable about Tate staying with the team than I did Chad Jackson a few years back.

So a great value pick.

I am happy about the ILB players left on the board. Jason Phillips, Jasper Brinkley, Darry Beckwith and Tyrone McKenzie are all still there.

My fave is Darry, but I see rational for all of them. Still some good lineman too. And I am a little non-plussed. I rated the TE's much higher than this this year. But glancing at the board, I see that a lot of spots that I would have had the TE's going went to (preceived to me) DB reaches in the second.

I thought the DB draft was anemic this year. After Butler and Chung who were both borderline firsts IMO. The only prospect I liked in the second was Sean Smith. So any of the other DB's, from Delmas to Moore, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on until round three.

McBathh, Byrd, Sherod Martin, Delmas, Moore, were all 3rd rounders to me.  Maybe Delmas and Alphonso Smith would be intersting at #58.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Nice post Brackula. Pats trade #89 to Titans for next years 2nd rounder. Awesome man!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I like trading #89 as well. At the worst it pushes it out to next season. At the best it could improve that pick dramatically if Tennessee stinks next year.

I am stoked. Ne has met every need except depth at ILB and rush threat OLB and a TE going down the road. But maybe they think they can resign Watson on the cheap and move forward with a Watson Baker combo?

There are so many ways to go now.

I wish they had grabbed Barwin at some point. They should have offered #72 and #89 for Barwin straight up. LOL.

Whatever. I won't gripe about such a cool draft.

I am glad to see Barden go so early. I am not glad that he went to NJ though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I think this will go down as one of BB's better drafts, every guy he has taken so far should make our roster and the fools complaining obviously haven't been through this draft process too many times before.  Never doubt BB has done his homework on these guys and every pick so far has been a need position.

We don't need an outside linebacker.  Pierre Woods is going to be a monster this season, Crable will be a solid back up.  If we sign Jason Taylor or another salary cap casualty before the start of the season it will be for depth and situational pass rushing.  Outside linebacker was highly overrated by the "experts" in this draft and we already have one of the best in the league with A Thomas.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

woods!dead wood! come-on.maybe crable,or tully.AD is good for the LOLB,but is starting to get up there in age.his replacement will be needed in a year,or two.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

OMG! The Titans gave NE a 2nd for #89!!! WTH? Great move.

Yeah. Woods and Crable need to play. You can't hang on to veterans forever. Eventually you have to let the young guys play and find out what they can do.

Woods as a starter to begin? Well. He can rush the passer better than Vrabel did last season. The Pats coaches rave about how he is very dangerous from a pass rushing standpoint.

But I am worried that he isn't as saavy and could give up as many big plays in coverage and failing to get the better of a TE at the point of attack as he will create with his speed in the backfield.

I feel the same way about Crable, but I think he has far, far more upside than Woods has and can be a good zone defender based on length and I know he can set against a TE. And going down the road will be a player for NE.

So maybe they have developed to the point where they can mask those weaknesses and capitolize on their strengths.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

I was hoping the Pats would land Barwin but with how the draft is panning out so far no complaints and I was also thinking they may land Jason Williams but the Cowboys grabbed him early.

Just think ZB if they want Brandon Spikes next year they could package their new picks and grab him hopefully anywhere between 8-15.

I still would like the Pats to draft Brinkley and R. Jennings but I'm prepared to be disappointed when they go to another team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Hey Bill..just a reminder...pick #97 is a compensatory pick...YOU CAN'T TRADE THE DAMN PICK..NO MORE EGGS FOR NEXT YEAR...you gotta pick a football player....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The Titans just drafted a player I liked a lot but are having a very mediocre draft.

I think the worst draft so far has to go the Raiders. Closely followed by the Jests, and then Denver. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

The Pats take Tyrone McKenzie another nice pick. ZB you must be lovin this draft!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I am hoping for Tyrone McKenzie as well. They are both solid two down guys. But I think McKenzie projects as a better potential three down guy based on his intellect.

Choosing a football player over an athlete I guess.

NE worked out Jennings and Andre Brown. Different players though. A HB/FB tweener wth soft hands versus a raw but talented home run threat.

It seems every year I hope NE takes a mid round back. But they always seem to wait until much later or not take one at all.

Devin Moore is still my late round guy!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Oh SNAP!!! Speak of the Devil!!!

Ne takes another of my boys! Tyrone McKenzie!!

Great pick!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Yea well the way you have been picking the Pats guys I might as well pencil in Moore lol.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Dude. I am loving it.

However, if this doesn't work out I will get lynched four years from now. I have never had so many players I talked up come off for NE.

But in my mind every one of them are quality football players. McKenzie will be a player here. Trust me.

Smart. Quick. And Powerful at the point of attack. And he can play inside or outside here, which adds versatility.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brackula. Show Brackula's posts

Humble thanks, JD! Coach Bill is RIDICULOUS!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

He's versatile,  but does he project better inside or outside?  I would guess inside.  Good pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Dude. Moore would cap it off.

They worked him out as well.

All of the players here were guys they worked out.

I thought McKenzie was a 4th rounder though. But he makes so much sense. Now between him and Guyton they have legit competition. I think he wins out. Mayo can cover up some of his range problems, but Guyton can't be the kind of take on player I think McKenzie can be. Guyton is faster, but McKenzie has a better burst.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Inside of course. He just has the suddenness to do some work outside.

After watching BB make visits to USF every single year I started watching them. They have a heck of a program for a small school.

McKenzie is the second best linebacker prospect on the team too. Next season they have George Selvie coming out who should grow into a great OLB prospect from DE. He took a step back in 2008, which explains why he committed to his senior season. But with a bounce back year he could be on the edge of the first or higher as a pass rusher. If he doesn't bounce back he will be much lower. But man is he a prospect too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

They don't pick unitl the end of the 5th so thats probally why they grabbed him there. Either way they must of saw something more in him than Jasper Brinkley and they went ahead and grabbed him. Good draft so far and all they need now is a punter, RB and maybe a TE.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

So they don't pick until the #170th selection.

OK.

I had them taking Devin Moore there. I hope he is there. Some might say it is early, but criminy, he is sucha measurables player, I would hate for NE to pass on him.

The rest will be gone.

I wish NE had been able to come away with an OLB/DE, but once again NE shows they simply don't like projecting those players like I do, or that they are high on their curent roster.

An interior guard might have been good, but I suppose from a needs perspective, that would have taken Brandon Tate off the board. Even though I would have thought Murphy would have been a better option, NE has shown time and again they don't mind taking a player who has an injury question if the "fit" is right.

Let's hope Tate can channel some Michael Jordan magic. LOL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

What about Kory Sheets from Purdue? He could be a nice 3rd down RB and may last till the end of the 5th.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I like Sheets, but he wasn't one of my kids. I like Moore because of hands. Anyone with that many KR yards has to have great hands. That is essential to a third down back.

Ringer is still on the board. But I understand why. I thought he might go by the late third.

So Jennings, Brown, Moore, Sheets. Hmm.

I would take Moore still if forced to choose, but only by a hair over Brown.