Draft 5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Draft 5

The more I hear D guys coming for workouts the more I think we are taking a LT with 23.  BB probably has a guy he wants in the second round for OLB and wants to grab a LT to protect Brady.  IMO he's building the biggest smoke screen we've ever seen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I say we trade w/ Houston for #15 and draft Rey Mauluga.  Trade #58 as well, and pick up a 3rd rounder next year.  I firmly believe Mauluga and Mayo will make the best young ILB duo in the NFL, and when Barwin comes in, the best LB crew in the game

#15 Rey Mauluga
    #34 Connor Barwin
    #47 Patrick Chung
    #89 Lawrence Sidbury
    #97 Fenuki Tupoui
    #124 Coye Francies
    #170 Andy Kemp
    #199 Stephen McGee
    #207 Brenard Scott
    #234 Trade for 7th rounder next Year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Kiper's latest mock: #23: Donald Brown, RB #34: Connor Barwin, OLB #47: Sean Smith, CB #58: Pat White, WR/QB #89: Cornelius Ingram, TE #98: Scott McKillop, ILB Interesting picks.  Can't say I'd be upset with a draft that netted Barwin and Smith in round 2, but there are better picks than Brown and White, in my opinion.
    Posted by pyegian

I really liked Kiper's mock.

Although I have to express my reservations about Brown in the NFL. I have watched him run, and he is a dancer, although he ahs some good moves. But I wonder how fast he will look when his "big game" is against the Colts or Steelers and not SUNY Buffalo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLACFAN. Show FLACFAN's posts

I say we trade w/ Houston for #15 and draft Rey Mauluga.  Trade #58 as well, and pick up a 3rd rounder next year.  I firmly believe Mauluga and Mayo will make the best young ILB duo in the NFL, and when Barwin comes in, the best LB crew in the game #15 Rey Mauluga #34 Connor Barwin #47 Patrick Chung #89 Lawrence Sidbury #97 Fenuki Tupoui #124 Coye Francies #170 Andy Kemp #199 Stephen McGee #207 Brenard Scott #234 Trade for 7th rounder next Year
    Posted by titletownfan

I love your first three picks.  The patriots defense will be set for the next 5 years.  Wow!  Talk about a hard hitting defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wafostermisionero. Show wafostermisionero's posts

Gentlemen God Bless!

I think reamer is all over the Draft, he makes some great points IMO...Dallas and Carolina would both love to get back into the first round...and you can get the same player value wise @ #34 so why not gain a few picks for 2010?  For example, I would love for Dallas to send us their 1st Rounder next year plus their 2nd Rounder this year 51 for #23 or something to that affect...

I say our first selection of the draft will be at #34 - Darius Butler, CB. At #47 I like Clint Sintim, OLB, at #58 I like Jamon Merrideth, OT. At #89 I like Duke Robinson, OG and @ #97 I like
    Rashard Johnson, SS.

Bottom Line is the Pats are targeting certain players with which they have put a certain value upon. They will probably get say 6 good players from this year's draft while once again stockpiling picks for the future...keep in mind it is a good draft between picks 20-60, same rating and value.

Butler - CB, Sintim - LB, Merrideth - OT, Robinson - OG, and Johnson - SS = 5 Future Starters
    AND WE STOCKPILE FOR NEXT YEAR!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

wafo, great draft. I'm thinking D-Fence now:

#23 Larry English - he would be a starter by mid-season
    #34 M Johnson - you can't have enough big, athletic DE. Can he bulk up to spell Seymour?
    #47 Jarron Gilbert - BB starts to use more 4-3 sets and lets Gilbert and Johnson get after the QB
    #58 Patrick Chung - Chung is falling on many boards...scouts are doubting his cover skills and his abillity to play cover-2. He's the new Rodney Harrison

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I wouldn't be so sure that Carolina and Dallas really want into the first round. This season, there isn't much enticing talent in there. And once you trade, every year you try to recuperate the picks you traded up with only delays the inevitable.

I am inclined to think that Dallas and Carolina will look at this year's draft, with a stronger second than first, as a great place to take that hit.

Your own point about #34 being as good as #23 makes the argument for why Carolina and Dallas won't want to cough up what could be a better selection in what is very likely a better first round draft next season to take a crack at a player that is borderline second anyway.

Just my two cents.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradythebest. Show Bradythebest's posts

Guys,

I know we like to stock pile picks for next year every year. But this is delaying to shore up our defence and Brady has only 4-5 good years left. I would say, move up to get an extra extra 2nd or third round using (4th) 5th, 6th and 7th round picks.

I will be happy if we get any of this combinations.

#23 - Best available OT  
         or Rey Malaluga (if He is 3down LB) 
         or Clay Matthews 
         or Pettigrew (Do not know much about him but if he is any where closer to Tony Gonzalez) 

#34 -Connor Barwin (OLB/TE)
        or Evander Hood or any other DT (If they can replace Seymour)
        or Vontae Davis (CB)
        or Darius Butler (CB)

#47 - Patrick Chung (Saftery)
          or Louis Delmas (Saftey)

#50 - Brian Robiske (WR) (Traded UP using 3rd and 6th & 7th)
          or Best available WR

#58 - Donald Brown (RB)
          or Andy Levitre (OG)

# 97 - Best Available Player

I like to get one D-line and O-line out of this, which will position us to succeed next 4-5 years and either Gary Guyton or Shawn Crable will develop into a solid starter

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

I have to disagree with Kiper on a couple of things.  First I doubt we take a RB in the first.  I think we have to go defense there be it Hood, Ayers, Butler or Maualuga.  I agree that Barwin is a 2nd round pick and he likely won't last until #47.  He's an absolute physical freak and very much a BB player but he'll need time to develop into a quality OLB.  He's never played the position and has a lot to learn about dropping into coverage.  We have the luxury to take him play him a little at TE and perhaps as DE in some passing situations to use his speed.  In a couple of years he could become an excellent OLB.  If James Laurinaitis is there at #34 he'd be hard to pass on because he's more ready to contribute and it a position of equal or greater need. I would love Sean Smith at 47 just because of his height.  With TO now in the division it doesn't hurt to have a guy that can compete with the taller receivers.  It seems like every team has a 6-3+ guy on their team now.  I think Miami and NYJ have to be thinking about getting taller at CB.  Miami has a couple of taller guys but the Jets don't. I can't see Pat White lasting until #58 since the Jets go at 52 and Denver at 53.  If we want White, it is going to have to be at 47 unless we trade up from 58. If we draft Barwin, we don't need a TE since Barwin may end up there anyway.
    Posted by Faucetman

Good posting Faucet
    Kiper's latest mock:

#23: Donald Brown, RB
    #34: Connor Barwin, OLB
    #47: Sean Smith, CB
    #58: Pat White, WR/QB
    #89: Cornelius Ingram, TE
    #98: Scott McKillop, ILB

I have to say replace Brown with     Butler @ 23.

Bodden may really be a real one year deal. I hope he play's well and stay's. Just think we could be looking at another 3rd Rd comp pick for a CB if he finds the $$$. Hobbs won't bring big $$ in FA so he may stay. Let's hope him or Whilhite become the slot CB. Springs age and health are a ? Wheatly's wrist ? So I think the need is pretty high.

As for Barwin I say replace with      English @ 34
    I agree with you about Barwin. Although @ 34 I'm not sure we can use a luxury pick. We need a OLB. I'm hopeing the best for Crable. English in Sr Bowl set the edge well and crashed down the line very well in the run game. I could see maybe him and Crable on the edge's in the future. Putting AD inside beside Mayo or rotating as he's no spring chick and has been injured.

Sean Smith @ 47 maybe they'll see him as the best safety.Or they take the best safety here. I think if Meriweather can't add the weight or technique to stop getting dragged.t Then let him cover the back half. More ballhawk like ED Reed. It seems to be more of his natural role. Although he did well blitzing toward the end of last year. When Pees got the sack to send him. Sanders seems like a warm body

Pat White I don't think that he last this long either. Some team will pull the trigger before 58.So we take BPA TE,RB,OL, DL,WR 

Mckillop @ 98   I think this could be the steal of the draft. He played very well at Sr Bowl. Not a flash guy just a football player He just makes tackles. First time I have heard of anyone bring up his name besides me.
    LINK  http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/scott-mckillop?id=71395

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

At 23 I hope the Pats address front 7 on the D.  With 2 starters on the DL becoming F/A after '09 and missing quality at OLB and ILB, these are the biggest need areas.  I would not rule out Bulter but think Davis is not smart enough or disciplined enough to be a Patriot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

The Pats need a DL plan for sure. I don't think anyone want's a cheaper version of anyone on the line.You just think cheap DB's looked bad last year? Top talent just don't seem to be in this draft. Everybody's got IF's. Don't let that push them up I say. But it will.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Ohyes,

I'd be very happy with your draft.  But, I doubt White will be there at 58 and I don't like the idea of taking him higher than that.  I know I've been talking up Pat White but at 47 he becomes too expensive and he won't be there at 58.

If we're going with Butler I don't see the need for Sean Smith even as a safety.  This just isn't a good year for safeties.  If we had to go safety I'd wait until later on.  I like S. Smith at corner.  I think he's fast enough, fluid enough and very tall.  With the off season pick ups of Springs and Bodden I think adding one CB is enough.  I'd not be surprised if we don't take a CB at all but I'd would like to keep S. Smith away from the Jets, Dolphins or Bills. 

When I look at players most likely to be lost after 2009 I think they would be Seymour, Green and Neal.  I'm still holding out hope we re-sign Wilfork and Mankins.  Kaczur could stand upgrading even if we keep him.  I'm pretty high on Cadogan at 89.  He's big, fast and very smart.  The one thing we don't know is how does BB feel Guyton and Crable are developing.  If he's happy that both will improve, our weakness at LB might not be as bad as we all think.  I haven't heard any talk of bringing in Maualuga or Laurinaitis so I've got to think he's happy with the Bruschi/Guyton tandem but could look to add a ILB in the later rounds.

23  Ziggy Hood
    34  Robert Ayers
    47  Brian Robiski (package 6&7 to move up)
    58  Rashad Jennings
    89  Gerald Cadogan
    97  David Bruton
    124 Brandon Hughes

Seymour, Green, Neal, Galloway, and Morris could all be replaced by these guys heading into 2010.  The savings would be in the range of $25MM which we can use to go out and acquire some stud F/A.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'll put in a plug for Everette Pedescleaux at #98.  He's a small school project, but at least he's a huge project.  Road graders on either side of the line are hard to find, but they're usually better than no road grader at all.  He's listed as a 7th rounder in some places, but several teams are intrigued by him.

Another project would be Larry Johnson, DE/LB at Georgia Tech.  He deadlifts 660 lbs.  Not too bad in coverage.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Faucet

not that because we like them they get picked
    but I could go with:

#23 Butler                       / because of reasons I listed earlier
    #34 English                     / Same
    #47 Robiski / best safety  / I don't see Galloway as long term & J. Sanders is 
                                         a warm body at best
    #58 Jennings /TE             /back by commity is ok if it's not the over thrity gang
                                         alot of TE's and our's don't produce 
    who could really say who's there in the 3rd. I know we need to HIT at least through 3 rounds.
    I'll stick on McKillop. He's my sleeper. It was TE Cook but he blew up at the combine. Coffee RB from AL is another. 
    I agree with you about both lines though. I think this could be the draft to get good depth from maybe find two starters. Not saying Ventrone/ Richardson never make anything but like keeping Izzo around for years even though he could not back up at LB. I'll get pounded for that. We don't want to keep calling Seau and Law back in. We have been saving and paying forward for a deep draft or a certain guy. I think this maybe the year. Maybe not ALL-IN but close.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet not that because we like them they get picked but I could go with: #23 Butler                       / because of reasons I listed earlier #34 English                     / Same #47 Robiski / best safety  / I don't see Galloway as long term & J. Sanders is                                       a warm body at best #58 Jennings /TE             /back by commity is ok if it's not the over thrity gang                                      alot of TE's and our's don't produce  who could really say who's there in the 3rd. I know we need to HIT at least through 3 rounds. I'll stick on McKillop. He's my sleeper. It was TE Cook but he blew up at the combine. Coffee RB from AL is another.  I agree with you about both lines though. I think this could be the draft to get good depth from maybe find two starters. Not saying Ventrone/ Richardson never make anything but like keeping Izzo around for years even though he could not back up at LB. I'll get pounded for that.  We don't want to keep calling Seau and Law back in. We have been saving and paying forward for a deep draft or a certain guy. I think this maybe the year. Maybe not ALL-IN but close.
    Posted by ohyes

I love Butler and Robiski.  English I'm okay with but not super stoked about because he isn't very fast, 4.82.  Are you talking about Jennings the RB out of Liberty?  I think he would be a tremendous value pick. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Paul Kruger from Utah, 6'4" 260 DE/OLB.  Looked dominant against Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, plays well in space and can rush passer.  Haven't heard his name mentioned much, seems like a Pats type guy. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

I agree that the DL is a major concern going forward. Actually, both lines lose starters and depth next year, and if we don't shore up our lines, we'll see the rest of our team take a step back. Hood, Gilbert, Jackson, Hill, Pedescleaux, etc, could provide good value on D, and for offense I'm a big fan of Meredith, Unger, Canfield, Cadogen, Lang, and other simliar guys. Tough, intelligent, competent players with versatility and upside.

My next thought is that corners are getting ridiculous contracts, so I'd like to see either an upper echelon CB in the first three rounds, or two or three UFAs in camp. I know we've met with a few small-school guys, like Derek Cox for example. who show a lot of promise. I'm still holding out for Jenkins, but I just don't think he'll fall to 23 . . . I can dream, at any rate.

I think if OLB were a priority, we wouldn't have let Vrabel go for such a pittance. Maybe I'm wrong, but something tells me that BB feels the replacement is already on the roster. My money is on Crable. Still, why not take a guy if represents good value?

I feel the same way about WRs. We're pretty well stocked, but only for the next few years.  This is a great WR draft, so why not grab a few developmental players and give them a couple years to grow and adjust to the pro game?

So to recap: OL, DL, CB, OLB, WR, Let's go for quality over quantity this year. We can address LB, S, TE, and RB next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I think safety is a far bigger need than CB at the moment.  Besides that the needs are spot on.  However, I may be enticed by taking Darius Butler, this draft may be nice.

#23 Darius Butler-CB
    #34 Connor Barwin-OLB
    #47 Jarron Glibert-DE
    #58 Patrick Chung-SS
    #89 Gerald Cadogen-OT
    #97 Rames Barden-WR
    #124 Terrance Taylor-DT

Rd 5C Andy Kemp-OG
    Rd 6 Trade
    Rd 6C Brenard Scott-RB
    Rd 7 Trade  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

The only problem I see with the Butler, Barwin, Gilbert, and English's of this draft is that they are from small schools and faced sub-standard competition.

BB likes his top draft choices from big schools and big conferences.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

I love Butler and Robiski.  English I'm okay with but not super stoked about because he isn't very fast, 4.82.  Are you talking about Jennings the RB out of Liberty?  I think he would be a tremendous value pick. 
    Posted by Faucetman

Faucetman
     I know you ant bringing up a 40 time for a OLB. Larry's floor is: He can set the edge,crash down the line inside to stop the run ( which by the way is what I noticed first ) get to the QB/ run the arc well,play with his hand in the dirt/ stand up. He's even endorced by BIG Willie Mc!!   LINK  http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fad3a9

As for the crashing down inside. I was refering to the Sr Bowl. I admit that is the first time I saw him. As for small schools some of the biggest players come from them and College/Bowl games I think the Sr Bowl removes the Rah Rah from the college game. Also where I saw McKillop first. There not Pat White or USC LB's so they don't get the same level of Face time. They both played their butt off as did Robert Ayers and David Veikune.

Yes Jennings RB from Liberty. He was in the Sr Bowl also and ran very tough. I had forgot him till you brought him back up. I've TiVo'ed the Game just to see whoever we take. So with my luck we'll take underclassman :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucetman  I know you ant bringing up a 40 time for a OLB. Larry's floor is: He can set the edge,crash down the line inside to stop the run ( which by the way is what I noticed first ) get to the QB/ run the arc well,play with his hand in the dirt/ stand up. He's even endorced by BIG Willie Mc!!   LINK  http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fad3a9 As for the crashing down inside. I was refering to the Sr Bowl. I admit that is the first time I saw him. As for small schools some of the biggest players come from them and College/Bowl games I think the Sr Bowl removes the Rah Rah from the college game. Also where I saw McKillop first. There not Pat White or USC LB's so they don't get the same level of Face time. They both played their butt off as did Robert Ayers and David Veikune. Yes Jennings RB from Liberty. He was in the Sr Bowl also and ran very tough. I had forgot him till you brought him back up. I've TiVo'ed the Game just to see whoever we take. So with my luck we'll take underclassman :)
    Posted by ohyes[/QUOTE]

BB personally called out English as one of those tweeners that he seemed to like.  If we went with English there would be no need for Barwin and English is much more experienced and ready to step in and contribute.

I think Rashard Jennings is a poor man's Beanie Wells.  Beanie's a bit bigger, a bit faster and played for a major school.  However, Beanie has been prone to injury and his running style makes that concern likely to continue.  Jennings has very good hands, can break a tackle with strength.  My only concern is his smarts.  He struggled academically which could also be a reason why he transferred from Pittsburgh to Liberty besides the selfless reason to be closer to his father who is ill.

I have Jennings at #76 right now which is good value and low risk.  If we could trade down a little with 58 into the 3rd round I'd love him around 70.  I know it looks like we are set at RB for this year but are we really?

Morris missed 3 games in 2008, 10 games in 2007
    Maroney missed 13 games in 2008, 3 games in 2007
    Taylor missed 3 games in 2008 but was a pro bowler in 2007
    Faulk is the most consistent back but turns 33
    Green-Ellis will have a hard time making the team even though he showed flashes last year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I think safety is a far bigger need than CB at the moment.  Besides that the needs are spot on.  However, I may be enticed by taking Darius Butler, this draft may be nice. #23 Darius Butler-CB #34 Connor Barwin-OLB #47 Jarron Glibert-DE #58 Patrick Chung-SS #89 Gerald Cadogen-OT #97 Rames Barden-WR #124 Terrance Taylor-DT Rd 5C Andy Kemp-OG Rd 6 Trade Rd 6C Brenard Scott-RB Rd 7 Trade  
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

I love your picks and reasoning.  One thing to remember is Tank Williams is coming back from injury.  He's a big in-the-box safety who has started most of his career.  I also see Springs playing more safety now that he's older (and likely slower).  If we were to draft Butler as you suggest (not a bad idea) I don't think we need to draft a safety too.  We'll likely carry 9-10 DBs.

CB:  Bodden, Hobbs, Wheatley, Whilhite, BUTLER cut: Mike Richardson
    S:    Brandon Merriweather, James Sanders, Shawn Springs, Tank Williams cut: Ventrone, Spann

If we draft a Safety too who do we cut if we are carrying 9 DBs?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I would love to take one stud DL and one stud OL with 2 of those 4 top picks.  We have to look past 2009 and see what our needs are in 2010.  IMO we will lose Green and big Sey after the season on the DL and Neal and possibly Kaczur on the OL.  I would love to draft their replacements now so they have a year to learn our system and improve before they are called on to start.  The only player in range that "could" replace Seymour is Ziggy Hood.  However, if we drafted a stud pass rushing DE like Ayers, Gilbert or Sidbury I could see cutting Green now and freeing up his cap.  I could also see Green becoming part of a big trade to the Panthers for Peppers.  The Panthers need DE help and OL help.  We could trade Green, Kaczur possibly Neal and a pick like 34 or 47 and save $5.8MM in cap to sign Peppers.  Let's assume it's pick 34 which has been discussed.  Our draft could look like this.

#23  Hood (replaces Seymour after 2009)
    #34  Peppers from Carolina (-Green, Neal and Kaczur) OLB and DE need met
    #47  Eric Wood (replaces Neal) fast, big pulling Guard Day 1 starter
    #58  Andre Brown RB from N. Carolina State.  6-0, 224 with 4.37 speed. Cut Green-Ellis
    #89  Gerald Cadogan 6-5, 309, 4.99.  Day 1 Starter at RT replacing Kaczur
    #97  Jasper Brinkley 6-2, 252, 4.67 adds depth at ILB

I think this would be one heck of a draft especially with Peppers coming to NE. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Faucet
    @23 I think English has the best atleast he can do this list.
    I think your spot on with the RB's in check for this draft. you can check out the Maroney thread for my thoughts on him. Alot of good Rb's to be had. As much as I loved Moreno at GA I don't know if it will translate. I look around the league and see all different kinds that have success. I think a RB has to fit a system maybe as much as a linebacker. No way did I think Slaton at Houston would work and thought Mike Hart at Indy was a sure thing.

On the Safety deal. I think Sanders is a warm body. Where's the Clark hit on Welker from Sanders dirty or not? Where's the Ed Reed back half ball hawking? Where's the BOO sanders ( I hate Boo He's the 4th LB in a 4-3 system) in the box run stuffing? and last but not least Where the Hell is he when Hobbs is getting beat Deep? Not that I blame Hobbs everytime because I don't. You see other teams safety's do it.You know that coming from out of the screen shot to blow someone the Hell up or take a pick the other way./ Springs and Tank = big health ? we don't need good IR guys. It seems Tank will be a sub-package guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Going-the-Distance. Show Going-the-Distance's posts

If the Patriots don't trade out/package their 1st round pick, I envision them drafting one of the following with their 23rd pick: Darius Bultler (CB), Evander"Ziggy"Hood (DE), Brandon Pettigrew (TE) or a RB (perhaps Brown or Moreno) .  By the time the Patriots select in the 1st round, I don't anticipate any first round grade DE/OLB's to be available.  Larry English and Connor Barwin, although intriguing prospects, appear to project better in the second round (at the 23rd spot I think both would be a reach).  The rest of the draft is simply too difficult to predict.  Undoubtedly, the organization will be making several moves on draft day as they will not be selecting 11 players, and thus using all of their allotted draft choices this year.