Draft and Free Agency - Safety

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Draft and Free Agency - Safety

Sorry guys but you are wrong. Unless you believe goldson playing free safety with mccourty and red bryant(who didn't even give us the chance to sign him...thankfully as he got 35 million) would have been the difference in last years super bowl then you are saying that the 70 million we would have paid to those 2 players were the right moves. We have 5 million or so in cap room without them but they would have beem good moves? 

We are in contention every year because we do not go above market value for good players like that. Because over paying for good players leads to serious problems with the budget sooner then later.

We pay Tom Brady, Mankins, Wilfork, Mayo, Light, Warren, Gronk, Hernandez, Volmer. We give the guys we know are proven system players big long term deals, not flash in the pan popular on blogs free agents 40 million dollars. Its bad business.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry guys but you are wrong. Unless you believe goldson playing free safety with mccourty and red bryant(who didn't even give us the chance to sign him...thankfully as he got 35 million) would have been the difference in last years super bowl then you are saying that the 70 million we would have paid to those 2 players were the right moves. We have 5 million or so in cap room without them but they would have beem good moves? 

We are in contention every year because we do not go above market value for good players like that. Because over paying for good players leads to serious problems with the budget sooner then later.

We pay Tom Brady, Mankins, Wilfork, Mayo, Light, Warren, Gronk, Hernandez, Volmer. We give the guys we know are proven system players big long term deals, not flash in the pan popular on blogs free agents 40 million dollars. Its bad business.

[/QUOTE]

True you keep rolling out Goldsons contract but we had a chance to sign him before he had that great year that got him that contract. If we signed him for multiple years at say $4mil/yr (he got $3mil for a single year so he might have taken that) then would you complain about the contract.

As for Bryant, what was our big weak point this year.... interior run stuffing and ineffective DT's which forced Jones and Nink to get doubled. Bryant was one of the best run stuffing DL in the league and was doubled all the time. You don't think that would have helped?

Gregory isn't much of a SS but I will guaranteed Goldson would have been a better one. So a better S and a better DT (two major areas of weakness) plus an extra mid 2nd round pick 2 years ago (that could have been spent on OL or DL) wouldn't have mattered at all? That's a stretch considering our DT's did little this year (actually one of the worst against the run in the league), the Wilson's basically gave nothing on D, and Goldson would have been better then Gregory.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

If the Pats are going to pay for an "upper tier" free agent, I think I'd prefer it in this order:

1. DL

2. CB (if Talib leaves)

3. S

If Talib stays and isn't too costly, then safety becomes #2.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True you keep rolling out Goldsons contract but we had a chance to sign him before he had that great year that got him that contract. If we signed him for multiple years at say $4mil/yr (he got $3mil for a single year so he might have taken that) then would you complain about the contract.

As for Bryant, what was our big weak point this year.... interior run stuffing and ineffective DT's which forced Jones and Nink to get doubled. Bryant was one of the best run stuffing DL in the league and was doubled all the time. You don't think that would have helped?

Gregory isn't much of a SS but I will guaranteed Goldson would have been a better one. So a better S and a better DT (two major areas of weakness) plus an extra mid 2nd round pick 2 years ago (that could have been spent on OL or DL) wouldn't have mattered at all? That's a stretch considering our DT's did little this year (actually one of the worst against the run in the league), the Wilson's basically gave nothing on D, and Goldson would have been better then Gregory.

[/QUOTE]

No he wouldn't have taken 4 million a year because he got double that after a 1 year deal. And no signing a 35 million dollar run stuffer makes absolutely no sense whatsover when you already employ a 40 million dollar run stuffer. Yet it doesn't stop you guys from citing those 2 players as "guys BB should have got"? Why?

And while I agree that goldson is a more talented player then gregory he is not 42 million better, and going by how gregory outperformed goldson last year while goldson was playing next to the 2nd best corner in the league and a really good ss in Barron then I am thankful we didn't sign the guy.....especially when we have a top 3 free safety in mccourty who plays the same damn position!?!?

"Has the whole damn world gone crazy?"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Just because Gregory had more tackles than Goldson doesn't mean he outperformed him. 

Gregory most likely left his man open or blew his zone a ton so he had to make a tackle. 

Goldson might actually cover Therefore tackles aren't needed. So he can thump

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

No he wouldn't have taken 4 million a year because he got double that after a 1 year deal. And no signing a 35 million dollar run stuffer makes absolutely no sense whatsover when you already employ a 40 million dollar run stuffer. Yet it doesn't stop you guys from citing those 2 players as "guys BB should have got"? Why?

And while I agree that goldson is a more talented player then gregory he is not 42 million better, and going by how gregory outperformed goldson last year while goldson was playing next to the 2nd best corner in the league and a really good ss in Barron then I am thankful we didn't sign the guy.....especially when we have a top 3 free safety in mccourty who plays the same damn position!?!?

[/QUOTE]

Now that's hindsight True, unless Goldson knew that he'd get that type of contract a year before hand. Honestly if Edelman got a decent multi year deal last year do you not believe he would take it? Up to that point he hadn't made a ton of cash. If a good multi year deal was tossed infront of most players who had good but not great years they wouldn't take it? Now that's crazy hindsight or crazy foresight on Goldsons part. It's amazing more players don't do the same. Take a 1 yr deal knowing that they would get a huge deal a year later. Most players seem to enjoy getting multi years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Again true. SS and FS aren't a real difference in our defense. Hell our safties weight combined might be what Harrison weighed. 

If Goldson was in NE he would be a SS, I don't see what u fret about over that

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Again true. SS and FS aren't a real difference in our defense. Hell our safties weight combined might be what Harrison weighed. 

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  The guys played FS his whole career. Safeties can be interchangeable sure, but a good SS can not only play grreat aginst the run and pass, but make the players around him better and quarter back the seco dary. I don't see that from Goldson. He is a roamer and a ball hawk who can hit hard but isn't a great tackler,  he leaves his feet too often looking for the big hits which leads to his fines and suspensions broken plays. If anything I see a safety who's great defense made him look good in SF by allowing him to roam the field and get hands in passing routes, but is now out on an open plain without a dominant front 7. Yet still as I said he plays in a very good secondary and still doesn't make many plays. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  The guys played FS his whole career. Safeties can be interchangeable sure, but a good SS can not only play grreat aginst the run and pass, but make the players around him better and quarter back the seco dary. I don't see that from Goldson. He is a roamer and a ball hawk who can hit hard but isn't a great tackler,  he leaves his feet too often looking for the big hits which leads to his fines and suspensions broken plays. If anything I see a safety who's great defense made him look good in SF by allowing him to roam the field and get hands in passing routes, but is now out on an open plain without a dominant front 7. Yet still as I said he plays in a very good secondary and still doesn't make many plays. 

[/QUOTE]

that is a very good point actually True you that right, but at this point I've just had enough of Gregory. I want a new safety in there. Harmon or Tavon Wilson would work for me

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now that's hindsight True, unless Goldson knew that he'd get that type of contract a year before hand. Honestly if Edelman got a decent multi year deal last year do you not believe he would take it? Up to that point he hadn't made a ton of cash. If a good multi year deal was tossed infront of most players who had good but not great years they wouldn't take it? Now that's crazy hindsight or crazy foresight on Goldsons part. It's amazing more players don't do the same. Take a 1 yr deal knowing that they would get a huge deal a year later. Most players seem to enjoy getting multi years.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, "THATS HINDSIGHT" sure eng. You are the king of hindsight. You have literally admonished every player signing BB made on our past thread. Suggesting they were poor signings at the time they were made...amazing. Dillion, Gronk, Adalius, Hernandez, Moss, Volmer. You must have hated the Rodney Harrison signing, and the Seymour extension must have really twisted your cap, oh and all that money we threw at at that 6th round value QB from Michigan must have got your goat hey eng!?!?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

serious question rusty.. when you found out Welker signed with Denver (before the Amendola reports surfaced) what was your reaction?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

serious question rusty.. when you found out Welker signed with Denver (before the Amendola reports surfaced) what was your reaction?

[/QUOTE]

I predicted it. I said in the summer of 2012 when BB upped Hern after Gronk that Welker just lost his money after rejecting their best offer.

That's a fact.

I knew it was coming.  I assumed most did. Apparently not after seeing PatsEng and TFB12's embarrassing and childish meltdowns.  BB/Kraft don't give WRs 16 million guaranteed over 2 years past the age of 30. 

They did, Welker had no idea Hern/Edelman were leverage, and he had rejected their best offer.  Welker wanted 10 per like a top flight WR and he's not enough of a red zone threat and too old to justify that.

[/QUOTE]

Yup. Welker got 10 per right? Duece bag.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

[QUOTE]

I predicted it. I said in the summer of 2012 when BB upped Hern after Gronk that Welker just lost his money after rejecting their best offer.

That's a fact.

I knew it was coming.  I assumed most did. Apparently not after seeing PatsEng and TFB12's embarrassing and childish meltdowns.  BB/Kraft don't give WRs 16 million guaranteed over 2 years past the age of 30. 

They did, Welker had no idea Hern/Edelman were leverage, and he had rejected their best offer.  Welker wanted 10 per like a top flight WR and he's not enough of a red zone threat and too old to justify that.

[/QUOTE]

hmmm good call. BB didnt think Edelman was leverage though. He would've let JE walk for 1 mil.

I thought things were fine with WW and then heard how Denver got involved and how he came back and told BB to match. so then I thought he was coming back here, then find out BB didnt 'match' (under incentives he did though) so I got really mad just cause we lost a weapon over a million a year. I was pizzed for a solid hour.

then, the Amendola deal surfaced and I was real positive about it. too bad he had the groin injury. I still have faith in him. but I still think BB should've resigned WW

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Oh, "THATS HINDSIGHT" sure eng. You are the king of hindsight. You have literally admonished every player signing BB made on our past thread. Suggesting they were poor signings at the time they were made...amazing. Dillion, Gronk, Adalius, Hernandez, Moss, Volmer. You must have hated the Rodney Harrison signing, and the Seymour extension must have really twisted your cap, oh and all that money we threw at at that 6th round value QB from Michigan must have got your goat hey eng!?!?

Lets go through them one at a time:

Dillion - never said was bad signing just pointed out his red flags and he failed because of red flags. Please point out where I said it was bad.

Gronk - Have said many many times I would do that deal again, please point out where I said otherwise. But as with Dillion, red flags that guess what have come back to haunt him

Adalius - now you get on me for the signing which I have time and time again have said he didn't fail because of performance but because of personality conflicts. You would think the guy who hired him (you know the same one who coached him) would have known his personality would have clashed but never said it was a bad deal (that was you). Then again how was I suppose to know their personalities conflict, I didn't interview him or hire him

Moss - again pointed out red flags and he failed because of red flags but never said it was a bad deal

Vollmer - never said it was a bad deal but again look at red flags and failing because of red flags

Hernandez - If we knew about his past the way the Pats must have when they signed the extension I would say that extension was bad. Too much risk for a guy with such a tainted past. That's one you need to wait out before hand. Good job you found the one case which is really hindsight because we lacked the info the Pats had. Btw he failed because of his red flags too.....

Notice something here about the guys you pointed out, 1 - I never said any were bad deals (though you think I have would love to see you point out I did) except or Hern but that's new knowledge the Pats knew at the time we didn't, and 2 - THEY ALL HAVE RED FLAGS AND HAVE FAILED BECAUSE OF THEM. I keep telling you it's red flags I don't like and to stop signing them. I'm surprised you chose to use them as examples of bad contracts and not of value guys.

Red flags are guys you typically get cheaper, your VALUE GUYS. Goldson didn't have red flags they just didn't want to give market value, my argument is too many red flag guys is bad and sometimes you have to pay market value or above market to get a guy without red flags entering his prime.

But let me ask you so I can clearify. Was me saying Amendola was going to get injured and not provide as much as Welker did with the Pats right after him signing hindsight? Or me saying we need to draft a DT in the early rounds because the interior DL was weak and Wilfork was getting older with more wear for the last 3 drafts hindsight? or how about me saying A. Wilson looked slow and something was off at the end of his Ari career right after he signed that must have been hindsight too right? Btw those are all red flags too injury prone, not investing younger into an aging position with little depth, and an aging player drastically slowing down at the end half of a season and losing his starting position. It's funny you call it hindsight I call it red flags. I guess the difference is I see the red flags and you see it as bad luck over and over and over again.

BTW I love the Seymour extension (you must have hated it had no value), but hated the trade (you must still love it for it's value), I loved the Harrison pick up because he didn't really have major red flags, and as far as Brady considering he came from a comp pick (one of those pesky ones BB couldn't trade), had no red flags, was signed in his prime, and was still paid as a top 10 QB (go figure giving money to a young player with no red flags in their prime) I loved it but you don't like to give market value deals for young players entering their prime with no red flags. No value there

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

Lets go through them one at a time:

Dillion - never said was bad signing just pointed out his red flags and he failed because of red flags. Please point out where I said it was bad. 

You just said it was bad..."failed" equals what? Good? You are saying Corey Dillion failed because of his red flags in order to prove your point that BB shouldn't draft risk/value players! 

Gronk - Have said many many times I would do that deal again, please point out where I said otherwise. But as with Dillion, red flags that guess what have come back to haunt him 

Ok so what is this a back handed compliment? You would of signed him to the same deal but what, wouldn't have drafted an injury risk like Gronk?

Adalius - now you get on me for the signing which I have time and time again have said he didn't fail because of performance but because of personality conflicts. You would think the guy who hired him (you know the same one who coached him) would have known his personality would have clashed but never said it was a bad deal (that was you). Then again how was I suppose to know their personalities conflict, I didn't interview him or hire him 

response:

HA, your still doing it. Adalius wasn't a faliure...he was a faliure!  You think Bill Belichick made a mistake in signing Adalius Thomas who is the very defintion of the type of players you condemn Bill Belichick for NOT signing! Read your own words man. You want stud top rated FA's like Adalius, Dillion etc.. but then say BB should have known not to sign them. Lemme guess you have some guys back in 07 and 04 that you liked better then AD and Dillion as FA's? lol

Moss - again pointed out red flags and he failed because of red flags but never said it was a bad deal

NOW RANDY MOSS IS A FAILURE? 23 tds in his 1st year and a 18-1 record....Moss failed because of red flags...UGHHHH

Vollmer - never said it was a bad deal but again look at red flags and failing because of red flags

Volmer another BB failure to recognize those "red flags" have to be kidding me.

Hernandez - If we knew about his past the way the Pats must have when they signed the extension I would say that extension was bad. Too much risk for a guy with such a tainted past. That's one you need to wait out before hand. Good job you found the one case which is really hindsight because we lacked the info the Pats had. Btw he failed because of his red flags too.....

I can't keep up. So, you think BB and Kraft knew this guy would feel the urge to snuff a guy out sooner or later but went ahead and gave him 40 mill anyway...that doesn't sound very smart.

Notice something here about the guys you pointed out, 1 - I never said any were bad deals (though you think I have would love to see you point out I did) except or Hern but that's new knowledge the Pats knew at the time we didn't, and 2 - THEY ALL HAVE RED FLAGS AND HAVE FAILED BECAUSE OF THEM. I keep telling you it's red flags I don't like and to stop signing them. I'm surprised you chose to use them as examples of bad contracts and not of value guys.

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen. Patseng says we shouldn't have signed Randy Moss for a 4rth round pick because of "red flags" or Clock Killin Corey Dillion due to his..."red flags", or Adalius super freak Thomas because of...."red flags" or extended Rob Gronkowski after catching 28 tds his 1st 2 seasons because of, wait for it..."red flags" and perfect fit receiving move TE Hernandez locked up with Gronk after they were the main ingredeients for Tom Brady's best season of his career. 2 years without a peep and BB and Kraft shouldn't have locked up the core of Brady's 36 td 4 interception TE arsenal? SURE.

Red flags are guys you typically get cheaper, your VALUE GUYS. Goldson didn't have red flags they just didn't want to give market value, my argument is too many red flag guys is bad and sometimes you have to pay market value or above market to get a guy without red flags entering his prime.

But let me ask you so I can clearify. Was me saying Amendola was going to get injured and not provide as much as Welker did with the Pats right after him signing hindsight? Or me saying we need to draft a DT in the early rounds because the interior DL was weak and Wilfork was getting older with more wear for the last 3 drafts hindsight? or how about me saying A. Wilson looked slow and something was off at the end of his Ari career right after he signed that must have been hindsight too right? Btw those are all red flags too injury prone, not investing younger into an aging position with little depth, and an aging player drastically slowing down at the end half of a season and losing his starting position. It's funny you call it hindsight I call it red flags. I guess the difference is I see the red flags and you see it as bad luck over and over and over again.

BTW I love the Seymour extension WAIT...Richard Seymour didn't have any..."RED FLAGS"? WHAT?(

you must have hated it had no value), but hated the trade (you must still love it for it's value), I loved the Harrison pick up because he didn't really have major red flags

WAIT, Rodney Harrison the "Dirtiest player in the league" didn't have any ..."RED FLAGS" he was an aging veteran safety who slowed down and was cut from the team he played for most of a decade...sounds familiar?? Right!, You must have HATED that Adrian Wilson type pick up

and as far as Brady considering he came from a comp pick (one of those pesky ones BB couldn't trade), had no red flags,

He was a slow weak QB with no muscle who couldn't win the starting job on his own team and was passed over 198 times but Tom Brady had no....."Red Flags"!!!??? OK

was signed in his prime, and was still paid as a top 10 QB (go figure giving money to a young player with no red flags in their prime) I loved it but you don't like to give market value deals for young players entering their prime with no red flags. No value there

You have now approached rusty status on this subject. You just condemned every one of BB's moves from above....while saying you are not condemning them...amazing stuff really.

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I think A good safety will help both the CB's and the DL.  I see this and OL as the two weak area on this team.  Brady was sacked 40 times last year.  The center position needs to be addressed.  The DL will need to be added to, but if Kelly, Wilfolk, and Amastead are healthy this does not become an issue.  I would love to see Author Jones, Chandler, and Byrd walk through the door but think this is only a dream

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

True - you don't hear the points I'm making, you can have some red flag players but you can't load up on them which is what BB has done recently. Look at the SB years, maybe a couple of red flag players on the team at a time, now 1/4 of the starters have red flags that repeatedly pop up.

Example of someone you can sign with red flags - Gronk. When healthy one of the best TE of all time. Worth the risk to sign him, however, because of those red flags you need to get him a proper backup.

Example of someone you shouldn't sign because of red flags - Amendola. Has never been healthy and when healthy has shown nothing more than a #2 type of WR at best. Why are you signing him to a long term #1 WR type of deal and putting yourself into a situation where you have to count to be heatlhy?

Another example of someone you shouldn't sign because of red flags - Lloyd. Failed out of every locker room he's ever been in. Why even give him guaranteed money that could come back to haunt you? That's one that cost us additional room to get a better player like Sanders.

My god do you like twisting statements True over and over and over again. There is a certain value point where you can take on some red flags but when you start to pay them real money and start to count on them to play everyday you are setting yourself up for failure, it's that simple. Want an example, this year what was the largest excuss? Injures right? There were 6 starters out of 22 with injury red flags and 5! of them got injured go figure, or was that just bad luck?

But let me ask you True would you sign Edelman to a large multi year deal right now? How about Talib would you give him 6-7mil/yr over 5 years? How about Vereen, would you sign him over multiple years or give Dennard $5mil/yr for 5 years? If not why not? If your answer to any of them is red flags such as injures then you have your answer.

BTW True on this one you are clearly acting like Rusty. Going to extreme's, calling out people on the board, repeating posts on multiple threads, blind devotion to BB, saying the "you think you know better than BB", making stretching statements to prove your point, infering something that isn't there over what others have said, and being hypocritical. All very Rusty like.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Eng let's just drop it(again) you are telling us BB shouldn't of signed guys like Dillion, Moss, Gronk, Hern, AD, because they were STUD football players with checkered pasts. But you liked the Rodney signing(dirtiest player in the league), and the Seymour extension. Your premise is too hypocritical for me and based purely on hindsight.

You knock the way the guy has built a dynasty and if you want to use examples of his multiple misses in the 2nd round, I agree but to now sit here and say- Look even the Moss, Dillion, AD, Gronk, and Hern picks were poor moves is just too far. Just saying BB should avoid the value guys(which his 13 year dynasty has been built on) and go for high rated FA's is a vague and irresponsible statement. BB pays top rated expensive talented FA's they are just his own that he brings in, coaches up and develops into stars. 

Sections
Shortcuts