DRAFT CHATTER THREAD!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: DRAFT CHATTER THREAD!

Just checked the 4th rounder is the 5th pick of the round so almost a late 3rd rounder in terms of value.

2nd round - picks 20 and 27

3rd round - picks 21 and 29

4th round - pick 5

7th round - picks 20, 23, and 29

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they manouver a bit more, but ...

I would expect them to use the 5 picks in the 2-4th round for:

1 receivers

1 CB

1 DT/DE

1 OL

And either a second WR, a second DT/DE, or a coverage LB

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

If Geno Smith is still around do you draft him 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

You're a comic genius.

In response to easylost's comment:

patriots should draft smith in 2nd round.  think he'll still be available.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

Manti Teo still on the board

Ravens.

and I guess not!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Teo still around

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

I just premature edraftulated.

LOL!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

A lot of good players for round 2

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to bredbruu's comment:

In response to mia76's comment:

Yes!!! Now that is value!

2,3,4,7 so we now have two 2s, two 3s, a 4 and 3 7s.

who is goign to win a sb fro those rounds? we need 3 diference makers.

if everyone else is stupid and lets 3 changemakers drop that low good for us, otherwise volumes of picks dont win sb players do

The Pats weren't going to get three impact players out of this draft, by keeping their 29th overall pick. I like the deal. This is a deep draft. With the 52nd, 59th, 83rd, 91st, and 102nd pick...the Pats are in a better position to do some damage.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from easylost. Show easylost's posts

mallet's got bricks for brains and coaches don't trust him anyways.  scouts remarked that he couldn't throw the deep ball.  and barkley's a better pro qb, and he'll be drafted before smith.

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

You're a comic genius.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Manti Teo still on the board

Ravens.

He's a head case.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I have this strange feeling the Patriots will pick the honey Badger possibly in the 3rd round

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

mallet's got bricks for brains and coaches don't trust him anyways.  scouts remarked that he couldn't throw the deep ball.  and barkley's a better pro qb, and he'll be drafted before smith.

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

You're a comic genius.

I wouldn't waste any pick on Smith.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I don't think the Badger will get picked tomorrow. He's too much of a knuclehead. I wouldn't be surprised if we get him in the 7th.

I have this strange feeling the Patriots will pick the honey Badger possibly in the 3rd round

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

I really wanted Patterson. Good trade but still... didn't expect to even have a chance at him.

Patterson is big, fast, and a good return man. But, he's also very raw. if could take him a couple of years to develop. A guy like Robert Woods doesn't have his upside...but is more ready to contribute immediately. There are plenty of good players still available. My hope is that The Pats trade Ryan Mallett for additional picks tomorrow, and that Matt Barkley or Ryan Nassib fall to the late second round...to the Pats.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Goodnight all. See y'all tomorrow, for rounds 2 and 3.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

I really wanted Patterson. Good trade but still... didn't expect to even have a chance at him.

Patterson is big, fast, and a good return man. But, he's also very raw. if could take him a couple of years to develop. A guy like Robert Woods doesn't have his upside...but is more ready to contribute immediately. There are plenty of good players still available. My hope is that The Pats trade Ryan Mallett for additional picks tomorrow, and that Matt Barkley or Ryan Nassib fall to the late second round...to the Pats.  

Yeah, I'm not too upset because this is a really deep draft. The Jets' WR last year was supposed to be big, athletic and raw as well and couldn't catch to save his life. There are still a lot of solid WRs left. I'll get over it haha

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Hey - so some people think the talent at 29 was going to blow away the talent at 52 and 59. I guess they may be the same ones that were praying we would trade up for the fast tall WR last year that the Jets stole out from under our noses, now what was his name ... hillock or some thing like that - you remember the pillock that couldn't catch the ball.

I didn't see any can't miss talent available at 29, but I saw a lot of good players still available, half of whom will still be available at 52 and 59. With a few holes in the team still to fill, no way we were trading far enough for a single 'can't miss' prospect and going home with a single good player and a few prayers taken in the 7th. You want a receiver - I suspect the pats will get two, one in the second and one in the thrid or early fourth. And that worked out pretty well for them in terms of their TEs and their RBs. We have already added three DE/DTs in free agency, and we will probably add one more in the middle rounds. We added a S in free agency and we will probably add another in the middle rounds. We lost a back-up OLine in free agency and will probably add one in the middle rounds. Only half of that was possible at the start of the draft.

People seem to think there is some magic quality in a high first round pick, but as every team has proven at least once (and many prove more frequently) in the last decade the first round is full of busts as well as miracles. Give me quality volume ever day. You still make as many mistakes, but since you are making twice the picks you get more players that succeed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

One thing you learn following the Patriots on draft day is don't look for them to draft in their assigned position in round one. I personally like the trade and no way did I expect them to get 4 for 1. BB is a freakin genius! Now he can draft the best availible player and not be tied to a possible flop! All of the receivers and corner backs they wanted were still on the board at 29 and i'm betting that Patterson was the only one they would have drafted that high. So now that we got that out of the way it's time for BB and company to get to work!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Hey - so some people think the talent at 29 was going to blow away the talent at 52 and 59. I guess they may be the same ones that were praying we would trade up for the fast tall WR last year that the Jets stole out from under our noses, now what was his name ... hillock or some thing like that - you remember the pillock that couldn't catch the ball.

I didn't see any can't miss talent available at 29, but I saw a lot of good players still available, half of whom will still be available at 52 and 59. With a few holes in the team still to fill, no way we were trading far enough for a single 'can't miss' prospect and going home with a single good player and a few prayers taken in the 7th. You want a receiver - I suspect the pats will get two, one in the second and one in the thrid or early fourth. And that worked out pretty well for them in terms of their TEs and their RBs. We have already added three DE/DTs in free agency, and we will probably add one more in the middle rounds. We added a S in free agency and we will probably add another in the middle rounds. We lost a back-up OLine in free agency and will probably add one in the middle rounds. Only half of that was possible at the start of the draft.

People seem to think there is some magic quality in a high first round pick, but as every team has proven at least once (and many prove more frequently) in the last decade the first round is full of busts as well as miracles. Give me quality volume ever day. You still make as many mistakes, but since you are making twice the picks you get more players that succeed.

"as every team has proven at least once (and many prove more frequently) in the last decade the first round is full of busts as well as miracles."

including bb. and his track record the lower the pick is much worse as i smost.

and teh best guys are nto going ot stick around till the end of rd 2.

well see how it all turns out..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to bredbruu's comment:

In response to Paul_K's comment:

BB and the front office love those seventh rounders, where the rest of the league hates them.  Seventh rounders mean that you grab a pretty good developmental player that otherwise might sign with anyone, and you steer him into your training camp.  Odds are fair (because the Patriots are superb at picking Edelmans and Cassels with these picks) that the player will stick, but odds are good that the player will wind up on your practice squad and not be stolen away.

Fifth and sixth rounders generally get stolen by some 5-11 team. 

The gold is mostly in second rounders, although third rounders are pretty good, considering.

very good teams are gettign better. pats are back to drafting jags it seems

Same old rigid value system that BB over-relies on that gets this team nowhere. 2013 will be the same as the past several years : the offense will carry this team and the D will be bottom 1/3. Another year wasted and the TB window continues to close.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I'm not questioning the BB way but I will say if this kid Patterson or a Hunter, Keenan Allen Or Tank Carridine becomes the next STUD I will be pissed - I understand extra picks but there were some Good recievers and D lineman out there at 29-I don't know what will be there at 52? These extra picks thing hasn't worked out great for the Pats -Getting kinda old-The Pats don't have a lot of holes -Just for once take the best Frikkin players in the 1st 3 rounds and be done with it -cause I will guarrrentee you the next 5 picks in rounds 2-4---- maybe 2 will stick!! And maybe only situational players - getting kind of old-Think Bills a great coach but when it comes to the Draft _ he is flawed!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

No disrespect to anyone but I'll take BB's player assessment and approach to the draft to anyone's in this forum.  Not saying you guys don't know what you're talking; simply saying what my preference is.

I like the trade and expect BB's not done moving around the board to go after the player that he wants.  By more than a few accounts offered by people who do this for a living this is a draft where the value is more in the 2nd day and beyond. 

I realize people are tired of hearing about Brady so I'll simply offer that Mike Wallace was picked in the 3rd round and Alfonso Dennard was picked in the 7th.  Wallace worked out pretty well and Dennard appears to be a pretty serviceable CB.