Draft day trade of picks, get two 1st round OLB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Tart, this is a win now league if a coach needs a player to complete a need for his team and knows his job could be on the line why not? Doesn't matter what picks he has next year if he gets fired.

We've seen stranger things before and it's Maybin and Barwin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

No, it doesn't make sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I think those were rare exceptions to be honest. Usually a mid to low round pick doesn't net you a pick in an earlier round i.e. a low 2nd rounder netting a future 1st rounder etc... I've been watching the draft for several years now and have noticed that in many instances trades involving future picks involve picks that are in the same round of the pick that's being dealt with the idea that it may be a higher pick next year.

I know this much, #34 is a good pick to have because I truly believe that short of trading for Peppers, that that pick could easily be dealt for a 2010 first rounder. Normally there is a run on CB & LB every year usually after the #20 pick because at that point the "elite players" are snatched up and teams start focusing on position of need over BPA. Because this year is a deep LB draft, I think that teams may wish to trade for the #34 pick when other teams start making their run on LB's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Your arguement, Tart, was that you can get a future 1st from #47. As support you claim: Last year the Pats traded the 3rd rounder they got from NO #69 to SD. For the #78 and this years 2nd round pick #47. In essence the Pats moved back 9 spots for a 2009 2nd rounder.

In reality the Pats did not just move back 9 spots in the 3rd, they traded a high 3rd for a future low 2nd (the #78 was from NO and not included in the SD deal). Transfer that to what the Pats can do in the 2nd round: trade a high 2nd (#34) for a future 1st (mid to low).

I think Angel is right that the #47 does not likely get you a future 1st.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Would it make since for the Pats on draft day to send Detroit the 34th pick and 1st 2010 to Detroit for their 21st if RM or Brian Okapo fall to 21? at 23 they get Barwin or Connor.

They could trade 47th for 2010 first round or would this not make financial since because of the bigger contracts for 2 1st rounders?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Actually Tart, the #69 the Pats traded last year to SD was from Oakland (not N.O.). The previous year the Pats traded their 3rd (low 3rd) for Oakland's 2008 3rd (projected high). They then turned that high 3rd to SD's 2009 2nd round pick (projected low 2nd).

In 2007 the Pats traded their 1st round pick (#28) to SF for their future 1st round pick. That 2008 pick was projected mid to low but SF did much worse than expected and NE would up with Mayo. That same year SF traded the #42 to Indy, who targeted OT Tony Ugoh, for Indy's 2008 1st round choice (projected low round pick).

Because Indy had Tony Ogo as a 1st round pick on their board they were willing to give up a future first (low in round) for the #42. Would a team give up a future 1st for the #47? Maybe but I doubt it.

What I think may happen is that if one of the QBs slip to the #23 (Sanchez, Safford or Freeman), some team may make a move for that spot. Say to CAR for their 2nd and a future 1st. The Pats could still get a solid OLB at the #34 and have two 1st round pics in 2010.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I don't think anybody is going to trade a first rounder for the 47th, and I don't think the Pats would or should trade a future first rounder to move from 34 to 21.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

The only way that a team would be able to trade a 2nd rounder for a future 1st rounder would be if the 2nd rounder is a borderline 1st, as in picks 33-35. Therefore if a 1st round rated player slips to the top of the 2nd, then a team may entertain a trade for a future 1st in that scenario because of the value. Also, I don't believe that this is a great draft in terms of elite talent. What this draft has is lots of very good players but not very many great ones.

Barwin & Connor are the same person but his name is actually Connor Barwin. I do understand your thought process in terms of wanting those players. However, the Pats could just as easily package #23 & 58 which is equal to the same amount of points as the # 12th pick and still target Maualuga or Orakpo. Furthermore trading #34 and #89 is 705 points which could net the Pats the #26 pick so that they coulkd get Barwin if they wanted to. I know that that is a bunch of trades which makes it unlikely but theoretically they could have two 1st round picks and target those players you mentioned all without dealing away a future 1st from 2010.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

"The only way that a team would be able to trade a 2nd rounder for a future 1st rounder would be if the 2nd rounder is a borderline 1st, as in picks 33-35."

angel, with all due respect, I couldn't disagree with you more. Last year the Pats traded the 3rd rounder they got from NO #69 to SD. For the #78 and this years 2nd round pick #47. In essence the Pats moved back 9 spots for a 2009 2nd rounder. I absolutely believe a team would give up a 2010 1st round pick if there was a player they really wanted at 47. A team like Minnesota, for example, who most likely will be picking at the back of the round any way.

We have seen time and time again. Future 1st round picks have diminished value when there is a player you want available.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

[Quote]

Actually Tart, the #69 the Pats traded last year to SD was from Oakland (not N.O.). The previous year the Pats traded their 3rd (low 3rd) for Oakland's 2008 3rd (projected high). They then turned that high 3rd to SD's 2009 2nd round pick (projected low 2nd).

In 2007 the Pats traded their 1st round pick (#28) to SF for their future 1st round pick. That 2008 pick was projected mid to low but SF did much worse than expected and NE would up with Mayo. That same year SF traded the #42 to Indy, who targeted OT Tony Ugoh, for Indy's 2008 1st round choice (projected low round pick).

Because Indy had Tony Ogo as a 1st round pick on their board they were willing to give up a future first (low in round) for the #42. Would a team give up a future 1st for the #47? Maybe but I doubt it.

What I think may happen is that if one of the QBs slip to the #23 (Sanchez, Safford or Freeman), some team may make a move for that spot. Say to CAR for their 2nd and a future 1st. The Pats could still get a solid OLB at the #34 and have two 1st round pics in 2010.

[/

Thanks for the correction. However, it is entirely irrelevant to my entire post. The point was what you can get for the #47 pick. Not where the Pats got the #69.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

For this situation I would give Detroit #23 and a 5/6 rounder for their #20. Then I would hope that either Barwin or Connor (haha) is left at #34, or throw in another late rounder to move up from 34.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I doubt we move up in the draft, everyone said we would do it to get Vilma and what did we do? We stayed put and drafted Ty Warran instead and that turned out fine. Screw moving up stay put and draft the BPA

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Why would the Pats do this? They have 7 picks in the first 3 rounds of a very deep draft.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]For this situation I would give Detroit #23 and a 5/6 rounder for their #20. Then I would hope that either Barwin or Connor (haha) is left at #34, or throw in another late rounder to move up from 34.[/Quote]

kk, yes my mistake it's supposed to be Barwin and Maybin. Come on already people let it go lol.

I don't think Barwin will be there at 34 might not be there at 23. Move to 20 and get who? OT or OLB?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]Why would the Pats do this? They have 7 picks in the first 3 rounds of a very deep draft.[/Quote]
    7 picks? 1 1st, 3 2nd 1 3rd and another possible compensatory pick but that still remains to be seen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The answer is simple. Where does the team dealing the first expect to be selecting the next season?

In this case, I don't think Minny would do that. But that is just my impression.

However, take a team like Arizona, who could just as easily win a poor division and make it deep in the playoffs. Lets say there is a running back (for instance, not argument) that they like there? A player they think has really slipped (maybe Donald Brown?).

Ok, so maybe they think it is worth it, banking on the fact that they might only move down a little bit if Brown is the difference maker?

Sections
Shortcuts