Draft experts please explain

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Draft experts please explain

Yesterday when the Pats moved up twice, it seemed the feeling on the board was the Pats were "going for it" this year.

But today, they take a reach/development pick and trade out of the 2nd round with the other pick.  Kinda the opposite of going for it.

So why the different strategies over the two days?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: Draft experts please explain

BB has a plan

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In Response to Re: Draft experts please explain:
    [QUOTE]BB has a plan
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Is it a good plan?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Someone in the Pats draft room said "We need a guy named Travon!" and BB agreed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

People have a short memory of how our secondary looked last year.  Edelman?  McCourty switching to safety?  Guys off the street?

The Pats are "going for it" every year.  Most "experts" say it may take a year or two for Jones to add weight.  So, it's not like BB was shooting the whole thing for this year and mortgaging the future.

Does anyone remember all the moves BB made after the draft last year???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft experts please explain : Is it a good plan?
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it is. BB saw something the kid can bring to the team. I support his effort to retool the defense for anothe SB run.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]Someone in the Pats draft room said "We need a guy named Travon!" and BB agreed.
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

Did he say "I love it when a plan comes together" after the pick?? and after the pick was announced did someone jump up and say "what you talking about foool!!!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft experts please explain : Is it a good plan?

According to the stats over the last decade, nobody has a better one!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]People have a short memory of how our secondary looked last year.  Edelman?  McCourty switching to safety?  Guys off the street? The Pats are "going for it" every year.  Most "experts" say it may take a year or two for Jones to add weight.  So, it's not like BB was shooting the whole thing for this year and mortgaging the future. Does anyone remember all the moves BB made after the draft last year???
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

Secondary was awful.  My point was I think they could have taken him at 62 and taken someone else at 48 that would have been gone by 62.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Could have....would have.....should have

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft experts please explain : Secondary was awful.  My point was I think they could have taken him at 62 and taken someone else at 48 that would have been gone by 62.

Agreed.  But turn this around.  Are we sure he isn't as good as H. Smith, ND?  Most guys on the board seem like they would have been happy with taking Smith at 31.  I'm not convinced Smith is anything special at all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft experts please explain : Secondary was awful.  My point was I think they could have taken him at 62 and taken someone else at 48 that would have been gone by 62.
    Clearly there was nobody else in that range he was especially enamored of.

This kid appears to be as close to a sure thing as a special teams gunner as you'll find.  Nobody on the board is a definite "sure thing" anywhere that they would make a difference.  I'm trying to look at the players who were left through BB's eyes; there are players who might compete, but nobody who I'd say are definites to even make the roster right now.

Special teams was not good for the Pats last year.  You help an area of need (special teams), and maybe develop into depth at another area (safety).  I'm not jumping up and down at the pick, but I find it laughable at all the Chicken Littles on this board who act like we passed on Andrew Luck for this kid.

Also, my pick for #48, Brandon Thompson, is still around.  I'm hoping he's the pick at 90.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]People have a short memory of how our secondary looked last year.  Edelman?  McCourty switching to safety?  Guys off the street? The Pats are "going for it" every year.  Most "experts" say it may take a year or two for Jones to add weight.  So, it's not like BB was shooting the whole thing for this year and mortgaging the future. Does anyone remember all the moves BB made after the draft last year???

AGAIN...it's not that the Pats took this guy...it's when they took him that stinks!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft experts please explain :      AGAIN...it's not that the Pats took this guy...it's when they took him that stinks!!
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Would you have been okay with the Pats drafting H. Smith instead of Hightower?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]Someone in the Pats draft room said "We need a guy named Travon!" and BB agreed.
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

Nihhhce...

I swear to god, and we're talkin' 7 years here=The Round 2 bell chimes, and Bill Belichick says, "Alright fellas, I'm takin' a nap...you know how crabby I can get- Really, 'Member 2010 when I was semi-awake durin' those mid-rounds?  Right- I was just altogether ornery...slightly rude even.  Anyway, as usual, wake me as Rd 6 starts winding down..."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft experts please explain : Would you have been okay with the Pats drafting H. Smith instead of Hightower?

What are you talking about? Can you explain why BB felt obligated to take a guy who everyone else had rated as a 7th round pick at best, in the middle of the second round???? I thought that BB was big about getting value for his picks? Where's the value in drafting this guy with the 48th overall pick????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft experts please explain : Would you have been okay with the Pats drafting H. Smith instead of Hightower?

So I guess you're right...Tavon Wilson is a pretty smart choice to use a mid Rd 2 draft pick on-  Huh?  What?  How'dyou do that?  Where am I?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft experts please explain : Clearly there was nobody else in that range he was especially enamored of. This kid appears to be as close to a sure thing as a special teams gunner as you'll find.  Nobody on the board is a definite "sure thing" anywhere that they would make a difference.  I'm trying to look at the players who were left through BB's eyes; there are players who might compete, but nobody who I'd say are definites to even make the roster right now. Special teams was not good for the Pats last year.  You help an area of need (special teams), and maybe develop into depth at another area (safety).  I'm not jumping up and down at the pick, but I find it laughable at all the Chicken Littles on this board who act like we passed on Andrew Luck for this kid. Also, my pick for #48, Brandon Thompson, is still around.  I'm hoping he's the pick at 90.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOT

Interesting point about "starting gunner" . BB is a big proponent of field position and a great gunner will facilitate that with limiting punt returns , ala Tebucky Jones ( #1 in 1998). If he is a serviceable , intimidating ( and maybe cleanly now with the new permissive rules) Safety than maybe we have something.

I think the question is could we have got him later and more players ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft experts please explain :      What are you talking about? Can you explain why BB felt obligated to take a guy who everyone else had rated was a 7th round pick at best, in the middle of the secopnd round???? I thought that BB was big about getting value for his picks? Where's the value in drafting this guy with the 48th overall pick????
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

I say he may be as good as H. Smith.  So, instead of taking one in the first round, knowing he needs a safety, he takes one in the 2nd that I believe he thinks is as good as Smith.
    As for "ratings" I read people on the board drooling over Wolfe and Wolfe was rated lower on nfl.com than Wilson.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In Response to Draft experts please explain:
    [QUOTE]Yesterday when the Pats moved up twice, it seemed the feeling on the board was the Pats were "going for it" this year. But today, they take a reach/development pick and trade out of the 2nd round with the other pick.  Kinda the opposite of going for it. So why the different strategies over the two days?

i don't know anymore. Maybe he thought that the guys we got yesterday  were all he needed along with a special teams player. i was thinking another potential starter on defense would have been the way to go, but he knows his team a lot better than me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft experts please explain : So I guess you're right...Tavon Wilson is a pretty smart choice to use a mid Rd 2 draft pick on-  Huh?  What?  How'dyou do that?  Where am I?
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Everyone's an expert on draft day.  We'll find out in Sept. who can play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Draft experts please explain :  I think the question is could we have got him later and more players ?
    Posted by mgraham[/QUOTE]
    I think the thing people have to remember is that it only takes ONE other team who also likes him to blow that all up.  With the number of BB disciples around the league, it's possible he thought, no, he might not be around later.

I agree it's a reach, but we don't have BB's information.  He's not infallible, but he's also not, as another thread so colorfully put it, a clown.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I hear what he has to say about the kid, and I see him on the field.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Oh no, the "reach argument" rearing its ugly head. That's what everyone said about Mankins and Vollmer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Shoot me, shoot me now.
    We spend months reading and studying and discussing draft "value" and then Bellichick reaches into a fish bowl and pulls a name out.
    NOBODY NOBODY NOBODY had this kid rated this high. You say the "genius" must have seen something in this kid nobody else saw....might I point out Butler and Wheatley and Merriweather and Price and Brace etc etc.
    This was just a flat out slap to the face and nose snub on the part of the genius coach to all us draftniks. The "genius" wants nothing more that to prove us all morons.
    I really hate this guy right now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

[QUOTE]Shoot me, shoot me now. We spend months reading and studying and discussing draft "value" and then Bellichick reaches into a fish bowl and pulls a name out. NOBODY NOBODY NOBODY had this kid rated this high. You say the "genius" must have seen something in this kid nobody else saw....might I point out Butler and Wheatley and Merriweather and Price and Brace etc etc. This was just a flat out slap to the face and nose snub on the part of the genius coach to all us draftniks. The "genius" wants nothing more that to prove us all morons. I really hate this guy right now.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

I can't help but laugh at you and your ridiculous post. Troll much? LMFAO