draft pick impact

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

draft pick impact

Which of this years draft picks are making a impact? It's still early, so hope other guys step up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Re: draft pick impact

Ridley no doubt. if he can continue to be as productive as he has been in the last 2 games he could be the feature back at some point over this season and hopefully into the post-season.

Overall I think Ridley is going to make the biggest impact but then again I still have high hopes for Dowling simply because our secondary needs a playmaker.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

Anyone remember OL stand-out Solder?  I doubt if anyone of our other 2011 draft picks exceeds his importance to the Patriots (short term or long term!). But I hope others fulfill their projected promise.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Solder.  ProFootballFocus rated the Patriots' O-line as #5 in the NFL in pass protection.  Pretty good contribution for a rookie.  Remember that the line blocks for Ridley too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Nate Solder: He's looked good so far. They've been extremely successful running behind him. On pass defense, he has one sack against credited against him but that should be considered a coverage sack. His penalties were smart plays.
    Ras-I Dowling: He's played a lot like he did in college. Through four games, he's had 2 very good games and 2 games that he missed to injury. If he plays, he helps the Pats a lot.
    Shane Vereen: We haven't seen anything from Vereen so far. With Woodhead perhaps getting injured, we might see Vereen get some snaps next week.
    Stevan Ridley: Each week he has looked good and each week he looks better. He should be earning a lot more snaps next week. Potentially Ridley adds a new dimension for the Pats.
    Ryan Mallett: Inactive so far as a 3rd QB. Great prospect to learn the system. I think he's closer to a Brady in 2000 situation than the Kevin O'Connell situation.
    Marcus Cannon: On PUP, we're getting close to when we could see him come back. Waters has been really good at right guard this year.
    Lee Smith: Not on Patriots
    Markell Carter: On practice squad
    Malcolm Williams: Not on Patriots

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Solder.  In the same timeliness that drafting a DB (McCourty) saved us last year when Bodden went down, Solder has been a savior this year with all of our OL injuries.  He's a stud, and doing quite well anywhere they put him.  Probably not a coincidence that most of our good runs were on his side.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yep, where we would we be without Solder this season? Volmer out and Light coming off of injury= not very good without Solder, although Light has been playing very well!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Solder has the makings of a star. Ridley looks promising and you got to think Vareen will be a third down back that will help. Dowling looked good for a game or two before going down with an injury. I would of liked to of seen a front seven player picked in the first two rounds, lord knows we need it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

I hope Dowling comes back, injuries are piling up more than usual, or it just seems like it. He seems like he is on the start of making an impact.
    Solder, saved our OL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: draft pick impact:
    [QUOTE]Solder has the makings of a star. Ridley looks promising and you got to think Vareen will be a third down back that will help. Dowling looked good for a game or two before going down with an injury. I would of liked to of seen a front seven player picked in the first two rounds, lord knows we need it. 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

agree on all accounts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

it would have been nice to get more instant contributors. most of our rookies seem to red shirt a year. a drawback of over-complex schemes and terminology is not taking full advantage of young, cheap talent. they take injured, raw, or players of different positions/schemes more often than most teams, figuring that even most healthy, experienced, position ready players. 1 more reason to go and stay 43 base- rookie production, lower-risk scouting. we pass on a lot of college ballers that could step right in and start/contribute all/most of their first season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]it would have been nice to get more instant contributors. most of our rookies seem to red shirt a year. a drawback of over-complex schemes and terminology is not taking full advantage of young, cheap talent. they take injured, raw, or players of different positions/schemes more often than most teams, figuring that even most healthy, experienced, position ready players. 1 more reason to go and stay 43 base- rookie production, lower-risk scouting. we pass on a lot of college ballers that could step right in and start/contribute all/most of their first season.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

I think we'll have these rookies make more of an impact later in the season. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i wish the picks on d are as successful as the picks on the o

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Boy, SeattlePat hit it on the head.  The offense is loaded with successful draft picks while the defense is not.  I sure would like to be a fly on the wall when the Pats talk about what they are going to do defensively.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Nate Solder: He's looked good so far. They've been extremely successful running behind him. On pass defense, he has one sack against credited against him but that should be considered a coverage sack. His penalties were smart plays. Ras-I Dowling: He's played a lot like he did in college. Through four games, he's had 2 very good games and 2 games that he missed to injury. If he plays, he helps the Pats a lot. Shane Vereen: We haven't seen anything from Vereen so far. With Woodhead perhaps getting injured, we might see Vereen get some snaps next week. Stevan Ridley: Each week he has looked good and each week he looks better. He should be earning a lot more snaps next week. Potentially Ridley adds a new dimension for the Pats. Ryan Mallett: Inactive so far as a 3rd QB. Great prospect to learn the system. I think he's closer to a Brady in 2000 situation than the Kevin O'Connell situation. Marcus Cannon: On PUP, we're getting close to when we could see him come back. Waters has been really good at right guard this year. Lee Smith: Not on Patriots Markell Carter: On practice squad Malcolm Williams: Not on Patriots
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Excellent breakdown Kyle. I was going to post something, but I'll just agree with this one. 

Ridley has been good ... but don't forget that Solder has played in almost every game because of injuries. He's looked great.

I can't wait to see what Vereen has. This draft could be a lot like the one that got NE Gronk and Hern.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Boy, SeattlePat hit it on the head.  The offense is loaded with successful draft picks while the defense is not.  I sure would like to be a fly on the wall when the Pats talk about what they are going to do defensively.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

They already did something. They switched to 4-3 ... fired about 1/3 of the defense and hired a bunch of new guys. 

That is what is worriesome about the lack of pass rush ... the complete overhaul has done nothing to make this a championship caliber defense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]i wish the picks on d are as successful as the picks on the o
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

It has been a philosophical shift from defense to offense on draft day. We have now started to build this team around Brady. With the drafting of 4 skill position players in the past 2 years it seems we are willing to adapt to the new look NFL and outscore opponents.

Our entire defensive scheme is different then it has ever been and all people ever talk about is that we don't draft edge rushers. Well we don't biltz the Qb! Ever. Perhaps we will work this into the scheme at some point but it appears it is not in the current game plan, so I ask you....Why draft pass rushers if you don't rush the QB?

Here is another thought, Bill Belichick almost never drafts edge rushers.  Unless we are counting Jermaine Cunningham(not sure if he has a pulse) as an edge rusher who else has there been? He likes veterans in that role, or guys that come up in his system who are usually late round or un-drafted FA's.

Anyway, I am not saying I agree with this idea of a defense being an after thought but right now it seems like our plan will be to outscore other teams with a quick strike offense early and drop back in coverage to wait for mistakes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: draft pick impact : It has been a philosophical shift from defense to offense on draft day. We have now started to build this team around Brady. With the drafting of 4 skill position players in the past 2 years it seems we are willing to adapt to the new look NFL and outscore opponents. Our entire defensive scheme is different then it has ever been and all people ever talk about is that we don't draft edge rushers. Well we don't biltz the Qb! Ever. Perhaps we will work this into the scheme at some point but it appears it is not in the current game plan, so I ask you....Why draft pass rushers if you don't rush the QB? Here is another thought, Bill Belichick almost never drafts edge rushers.  Unless we are counting Jermaine Cunningham(not sure if he has a pulse) as an edge rusher who else has there been? He likes veterans in that role, or guys that come up in his system who are usually late round or un-drafted FA's. Anyway, I am not saying I agree with this idea of a defense being an after thought but right now it seems like our plan will be to outscore other teams with a quick strike offense early and drop back in coverage to wait for mistakes.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Wow, TC. 

Considering the defense has been overhauled ... don't you think BB sees these issues? 

It was obvious in the playoffs last season. He didn't draft passs rushers ... but he signed three of them in Haynesworth, Anderson and Carter. He also fired two in Murrel and TBC.

Then changed the entire defense to one that naturally generates more pass rush.

BB isn't building the team around Brady as much as he is desperately trying to correct a defense that keeps failing them. He just isn't doing the later through the draft.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: draft pick impact : Wow, TC.  Considering the defense has been overhauled ... don't you think BB sees these issues?  It was obvious in the playoffs last season. He didn't draft passs rushers ... but he signed three of them in Haynesworth, Anderson and Carter. He also fired two in Murrel and TBC. Then changed the entire defense to one that naturally generates more pass rush. BB isn't building the team around Brady as much as he is desperately trying to correct a defense that keeps failing them. He just isn't doing the later through the draft.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

We're talking about the draft here right? I am sure he sees these issues on defense but if a last minute signing of 3 long in the tooth vets(although I think Haynsworth will have a tremendous impact yet) are his idea to fix a pass rush then I wonder if it really concerns him as much as it does the rest of us?

You know what I mean? If he really thought it was as much of a problem as the media and most of us, then wouldn't he look to draft the JJ Watts/Clay Mathews of the world?

Anyway it doesn't stop with edge rushers either. We have not drafted a DT/DE before rd 4 since..... who is it Brace?  A long way from drafting, Seymour,  Wilfork, and Warren in the 1st rounds 3 out of 4 drafts, wouldn't you agree? It just seems like the draft is not the place where BB is looking to improve the defense.

Lol, I don't mean to make it seem like he is giving up on defense or anything, I just see a completely different scheme(4-3 etc) where we are taking BDB to a whole new level. I have noticed we pretty much only draft CB's lately, which would also fit the premise that BB is focusing on a prolific offense to outscore other teams and wait for desperation mistakes from other teams Qbs

Sooner or later we need to realize that he may not be making mistakes in the draft but that he might have an idea different then ours as to what will make a good defense in today's NFL.(again last year 8th ppg,1st in turnovers) Seems he is giving Brady as many tools as needed to win a SB with a high powered offense before time is up. He might be on to something, guess we'll find out in January!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: draft pick impact : They already did something. They switched to 4-3 ... fired about 1/3 of the defense and hired a bunch of new guys.  That is what is worriesome about the lack of pass rush ... the complete overhaul has done nothing to make this a championship caliber defense.

there supposedly were a lot of good 4-3 pass rushers available. i did not think they would switch because hey did not pick any of those and i did not believe they had on the roster 4-3 DEs who would make above average rushers. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: draft pick impact : They already did something. They switched to 4-3 ... fired about 1/3 of the defense and hired a bunch of new guys.  That is what is worriesome about the lack of pass rush ... the complete overhaul has done nothing to make this a championship caliber defense.

And that's the reason I wanted to be that fly on the wall.  I don't know if it's scheme or lack of talent or what.  It's aggrevating to watch the lack of improvement. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

The last two years have produced some impact draft picks.  McCourdy, Gronk, Chung, and Hernandez all appear to be ready for the big time.  Soldier, Ras I , and Ridley all look strong this year.  The jury is still out on some of the draft picks.  Spikes, Cunningham, Brace, Deadrick, Price, Vereen, etc need to get on the field and prove their worth.  If they can get over the injury bug, this could be a strong team.  The undrafted free agents have been superb.  I think by the end ofthe year, this team will be on a roll

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Easy, they guy that most complaint about getting drafted but has had the biggest impact so far due to injuries, Solder.

He's not only playing very well he's done it on both side of the line.  he's made a few mistakes but over all he's playing better than most expectations.

Sections
Shortcuts