Draft revisited

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

Draft revisited

I have a hunch the mad scientist was very busy on draft day.  He had a pretty good idea that LM was in decline.  Why else would be draft 3 O-linemen?  He also stashed 2 OL guys on the practice squad the year before.  Training camp and the preseason games were open tryouts for the LG position.  Drafting all these OL bodies was also an indictment that BB didn't like any of the TEs available.  Perhaps he thought he could retrain Mark Harrison for the move TE and it didn't work out.  He did the next best thing and traded for Wright.  By the way, he must have known Mankins would not accept a pay cut.  Did BB do the right thing?  Probably, but we'll see.  I think the retirement of Dante fits into this too.  I think this new O-line will be younger and more mobile, perhaps the beginning a transition to a new QB, who can dart around and extend plays.  A JG (or Russell Wilson)-like QB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Re: Draft revisited

It always takes 2 or more years to get a final read on the draft.  looking back over the last three years give a good picture of the direction that the draft took.  The defense is young and improving.  Jones is ready for an all pro season.  Dennard looks like a steal in the 7th.  I think the first two picks this year are a wait and see.  Easley has not played yet and Jimmy G is insurance.  Looking back at the recent activity of the Patriots is interesting.  Trading Green to Dallas was a way to keep him out of the wrong team's hands.  Worthy looks like a possible good addition at a cheap price.  Getting Wright as a move tight end looks good.   Losing Mankins for a 4th will hurt this year but frees up money to sign other key pieces of the puzzle.  (and don't forget BB has a long memory, you do not hold out!).  The Patriots are poised to add more pieces in this years draft.  They still have their own first 4 round picks.  Have added a 4th and Talib should get them an end of 3rd compensation. That is 6 picks in the top 128!  They still have Mallet to deal which should give them another early round pick.  I believe the OL will work as the season progresses.  Cannon, Cave, Stork, etc will all eventually work into the lineup and the Ol will be stronger.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

He certainly was aware of Mankins' contract situation.  Mankins may or may not be in decline now, but at his age decline is certainly soon to come.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

just to be clear, the Pats did try and renegotiate with Mankins. the team wanted to retain him. even if they paid him this year, they were not going to pay him next year. they made the wise choice to get something for him now, rather than simply release him after the year and assume the cap hit.

I also think we all need to pump the breaks on Wright. conversation has been that the PAts asked the Bucs for a #2 and the Bucs countered with a #5 for Mankins. They settled on a #4, and the Bucs threw in Wright rather than cut him. he was in serious jeopardy of being cut by that team.

to think Wright is a better player than Lafell is incorrect. Wright is a 220 pound TE, who took 99% of his snaps spread off the line. I think it a question if he lasts the year  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

just to be clear, the Pats did try and renegotiate with Mankins. the team wanted to retain him. even if they paid him this year, they were not going to pay him next year. they made the wise choice to get something for him now, rather than simply release him after the year and assume the cap hit.

I also think we all need to pump the breaks on Wright. conversation has been that the PAts asked the Bucs for a #2 and the Bucs countered with a #5 for Mankins. They settled on a #4, and the Bucs threw in Wright rather than cut him. he was in serious jeopardy of being cut by that team.

to think Wright is a better player than Lafell is incorrect. Wright is a 220 pound TE, who took 99% of his snaps spread off the line. I think it a question if he lasts the year  

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if Wright would have been cut, but it's possible. They picked up Brandon Myers  and they like Luke Stocker in the blocking role, and they drafted ASJ, so it's possible. I think they'd have had a tough call there, but it's not given he'd have been cut.

I don't know that anybody is touting Wright as anything more than promising, so what brakes do we need to pump? He is promsing. A rookie UDFA who was productive and fairly consistent playing for one of the worst offensive teams in recent NFL history. That's not all bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if Wright would have been cut, but it's possible. They picked up Brandon Myers  and they like Luke Stocker in the blocking role, and they drafted ASJ, so it's possible. I think they'd have had a tough call there, but it's not given he'd have been cut.

I don't know that anybody is touting Wright as anything more than promising, so what brakes do we need to pump? He is promsing. A rookie UDFA who was productive and fairly consistent playing for one of the worst offensive teams in recent NFL history. That's not all bad.

[/QUOTE]

many here are fairly ecstatic that Wright solves the TE depth issue here. I am stating I am unsure he makes this roster out, and if he does, if he lasts the season. 

he really is not a TE, but more a big WR, and I happen to think that there are 4-5 WR's already here that are better than he. not sure he is worth a roster spot yet. I would like to him in this system, rather than tape of his Bucs games. sure, he runs a nice route, has good hands, but if he cannot grasp this offense, or cannot read what the opposing defense is doing, and react to what they are doing, he won't see the field, which has been proven here time and time again

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to user_4160947's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have a hunch the mad scientist was very busy on draft day.  He had a pretty good idea that LM was in decline.  Why else would be draft 3 O-linemen?  He also stashed 2 OL guys on the practice squad the year before.  Training camp and the preseason games were open tryouts for the LG position.  Drafting all these OL bodies was also an indictment that BB didn't like any of the TEs available.  Perhaps he thought he could retrain Mark Harrison for the move TE and it didn't work out.  He did the next best thing and traded for Wright.  By the way, he must have known Mankins would not accept a pay cut.  Did BB do the right thing?  Probably, but we'll see.  I think the retirement of Dante fits into this too.  I think this new O-line will be younger and more mobile, perhaps the beginning a transition to a new QB, who can dart around and extend plays.  A JG (or Russell Wilson)-like QB.

[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with your assessment.  Why the media thinks that the trade was made spontaneously and then  blabber about the "feelings" and player reactions without examining the longer term planning implications and merits is sophomoric at best.       

The Mankins trade was surprising, but makes perfect sense IMO and was clearly positioned on draft day as you posited.  The good news is that at least two of the OL draft picks must be meeting or exceeding BB expectations and positions a strong future for the O line.  

This is a good example of competent management and why the Patriots can sustain their dominance consistently for over a decade.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Wright can't block at all.  This may be like saying that Edelman the college quarterback couldn't run routes or Steve Neal the Olympic Gold Medal wrestler couldn't put on his football pads.  They eventually learned.  Wright never had to block anyone in college and Tampa Bay didn't switch him over until last August.  Wright started out last year at 220 pounds and he's at least up to 230.  We'll see.

Easley:  he hasn't missed any games yet, but he hasn't practiced much.  I'll assume that he plays with rust even if he's on the field in Miami, so that he's lost the equivalent of 2 to 4 regular season games.  He's beating offensive linemen in 1 on 1 contests, so I expect him to burst through the line like a top ten draft choice.  So far, he's still a bargain.

Jimmy G:  Tom Brady shall suck up all the oxygen for a long time.  So far the Garopper (an old movie with Ronald Reagan) is a genuine steal. 

Bryan Stork:  "unknown injury" is almost always MRSA.  That was probably a wasted pick, but he was healthy on draft day.  There's still a chance that he'll drop onto injured reserve and show up next July, in which case the draft room comes out smelling like a rose.  Not that anyone in the draft room uses rose perfume.

James White:  Good pick.  He'll carry the rock a couple of times at Miami, just to throw the Miami defense a change of pace.

Cameron Fleming:  Excellent pick, with a near-perfect performance in preseason.

Halapio:  Good for a sixth rounder.

Jemea Thomas:  No good.  Toss!

Jeremy Gallon:  One purpose of a seventh rounder is to slide through to the Patriots' practice squad.  Rookie Gallon has been off the field for a month, and probably no NFL team wants him on their 53 man squad, so he should slide through.  In a year he'll know how to run a route tree.  Good use of a seventh rounder. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wright can't block at all.  This may be like saying that Edelman the college quarterback couldn't run routes or Steve Neal the Olympic Gold Medal wrestler couldn't put on his football pads.  They eventually learned.  Wright never had to block anyone in college and Tampa Bay didn't switch him over until last August.  Wright started out last year at 220 pounds and he's at least up to 230.  We'll see.

Easley:  he hasn't missed any games yet, but he hasn't practiced much.  I'll assume that he plays with rust even if he's on the field in Miami, so that he's lost the equivalent of 2 to 4 regular season games.  He's beating offensive linemen in 1 on 1 contests, so I expect him to burst through the line like a top ten draft choice.  So far, he's still a bargain.

Jimmy G:  Tom Brady shall suck up all the oxygen for a long time.  So far the Garopper (an old movie with Ronald Reagan) is a genuine steal. 

Bryan Stork:  "unknown injury" is almost always MRSA.  That was probably a wasted pick, but he was healthy on draft day.  There's still a chance that he'll drop onto injured reserve and show up next July, in which case the draft room comes out smelling like a rose.  Not that anyone in the draft room uses rose perfume.

James White:  Good pick.  He'll carry the rock a couple of times at Miami, just to throw the Miami defense a change of pace.

Cameron Fleming:  Excellent pick, with a near-perfect performance in preseason.

Halapio:  Good for a sixth rounder.

RESPONSE: Regardless of what happens with the other picks, if either Easley or Garoppolo evolve into a very good NFL player, this draft must be considered a success. If both develop as such, it's a grand slam for BB. 

Taking Easley, like taking the injury prone Ras-I in 2011, was a huge gamble. But, BB knows that to beat Denver, he must find a guy who can provide an internal pass-rush. If Easley can stay healthy, he is that guy. So, though I realize it's a huge gamble, I endorse the risk... and the pick.

I loved the Garoppolo pick from the get-go. The Pats had to find an eventual replacement for Tom Brady, and Jimmy G. might be that guy. What I've seen so far in the preseason has done nothing to stem my enthusiasm.

As for the other picks, Fleming looks like the heir apparent to Sebastien Vollmer at RT. Not sure about James White. Lets not forget that undrafted free agents, CB Malcolm Butler and RB Jonas Gray, both look like they can play.

Lets hope that Easley and Garoppolo don't disappoint.   

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I'm pretty happy with most of the picks in this years draft. I question the reasoning behind taking Jemea Thomas when we picked up Revis and Browner. We should have taken the best available TE or maybe a cover LB.

Sections
Shortcuts