Draft: SEC RB question ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft: SEC RB question ...

Hey guys. I was having a discussion with some SEC fans last night about SEC running backs, and LSU's Tiger Jeremey Hill in particular versus T.J. Yelden. The focus was how good they are, how high they might be taken, and how  I'd hosted that poll two days ago about Ridley and Richardson. Then this morning, the Times-Picayune (Nola.com) was running this poll: http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2013/09/lsu_question_of_the_day_is_jer.html#incart_maj-story-2

Since I value everyone's opinion here, I wanted to see what my Pats fan friends thought of this. Who is the best RB in the SEC? Would you draft Hill? ETc.

Also, if anyone has missed this kid Hill, watch him, and LSU who finally have an offense. He is 6'2" 235, but, supposedly, he runs a 40 in the mid-4.4s. As our draftniks know, those are freak numbers. 

Here are some highlights. I'm more impressed by this kid than any RB at LSU since I've been a fan. That includes Ridley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_8AmF3ZcvIY

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Draft: SEC RB question ...

I don't watch college football, but if you suspect this kid will be drafted in the first round it's unlikely he will become a Patriot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't know if I'm overly excited about either one right now, I think Hill looks stiff (especially in the hips) and he runs upright. I've watched some of his highlights and he gets a lot of room to run - as soon as that ball gets in his hands he gets tall and upright - I'm just not a huge fan of that type of runner. He does look like he has some speed for his size, but it looks straight lineish to me. I think Yeldon is getting such great blocking that it's really hard to evaluate him, but he looks small to me and a little stiff too...he does look like he'd be a good third down back to me though.

Are these guys slated to go first round? I mean they both will be playing in the NFL, but I'm not blown away by either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I don't know if I'm overly excited about either one right now, I think Hill looks stiff (especially in the hips) and he runs upright. I've watched some of his highlights and he gets a lot of room to run - as soon as that ball gets in his hands he gets tall and upright - I'm just not a huge fan of that type of runner. He does look like he has some speed for his size, but it looks straight lineish to me. I think Yeldon is getting such great blocking that it's really hard to evaluate him, but he looks small to me and a little stiff too...he does look like he'd be a good third down back to me though.

Are these guys slated to go first round? I mean they both will be playing in the NFL, but I'm not blown away by either.

I think Yelden has people in his corner. 

Hill is just four games into his sophomore season, so it's a bit far off.

I'd disagree about space. Hill runs very well in traffic; in fact, I'd point to that as a strength. It's difficult looking at highlight reels to evaluate this, because it often demonstrates break aaway runs where the runner is at the second level. 

Unless you watch them weekly, that's a tough assessment. 

He does appear to run upright, but so does Adrian Peterson. Tall backs always give that appearance. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I don't watch college football, but if you suspect this kid will be drafted in the first round it's unlikely he will become a Patriot.

If Hill came out this season, I don't think he'd be a 1st rounder. He's too young, and hasnt the track record. 

I'd place a 3rd round grade on him, so second to fourth round. 

NE won't be drafting a RB in the first, but really, I think you should take a RB every other season, unless you have a franchise back, which NE doesn't have. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I'd disagree about space. Hill runs very well in traffic; in fact, I'd point to that as a strength. It's difficult looking at highlight reels to evaluate this, because it often demonstrates break aaway runs where the runner is at the second level. 

He does appear to run upright, but so does Adrian Peterson. Tall backs always give that appearance. 

No, you're right. I don't watch him every week and I just went off the little bit of internet stuff out there. So I didn't get a chance to watch those runs in traffic, which I think are most important. As far as the tall back running upright thing, you're right about that too, but for every tall back that makes it...there are ten that don't. There isn't too many Adrian Petersons and Eddie George's running around. I'll keep an eye on Hill, I love watching big backs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE]

No, you're right. I don't watch him every week and I just went off the little bit of internet stuff out there. So I didn't get a chance to watch those runs in traffic, which I think are most important. As far as the tall back running upright thing, you're right about that too, but for every tall back that makes it...there are ten that don't. There isn't too many Adrian Petersons and Eddie George's running around. I'll keep an eye on Hill, I love watching big backs.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think the curve is probably similar to other size classes, but so few 6'2" guys ever even make it to notability. It's not a height class you usually see. 

I can think of that kid that the Panthers took from the Ducks 6 or 7 years ago. 5'11" 235? 4.4 40. Stewart? He had the injury bug in college too, but wokred out well until it hit him in the pros. Johnson too. He's tall. 

At any rate. Check out some games. Big backs are fun to watch in college and the pros. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Tough call, I like both guys but would give the edge to Hill. I think Bama has the better running game/sceme which helps Yeldon. The SEC is loaded with backs. I like Gurley from GA but he isn't in the same level as Yeldon or Hill imo. As far as drafting goes I'm a little leary of the Bama backs, they take a beating. 

I'd be happy with either but unless one falls in the draft doubt BB would take them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Has an Alabama RB done anything notable in the NFL recently? Admirttedly, I haven't looked it up but of the ones I can come up with, you have to go back to Shaun Alexander to find a guy who's really lived up to the hype. 

Ingram? He's a 7th rounder/UDFA if he were thrown back into the draft next year. I'd rather have Ridley. Richardson, jury is out but not much to write home about so far. Lacy, too soon to tell. Am I missing anybody?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

The SEC is so tough on RBs that even though these are elite guys it probably takes 1.5 - 2 years off their NFL careers.

I'd rather take a RB from a lesser conference that doesn't take that kind of pounding every week.

Sections
Shortcuts