DRAFT TALK...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

DRAFT TALK...

three regular season games left, but ive been looking forward to the draft since training camp... my second favorite time of the year (first is playoffs).

what do you guys think?  please just leave your thoughts WHAT ARE THE PATS GONNA DO?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Re: DRAFT TALK...

move down and acquire mediocre talent..... WR receiver seems to be a big need, LBer has people waiting in the wings (Crable and Mackenzie) Oline always needs help. But last Sunday showed the only receiver we have is Welker 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Harley, hope u are wrong.  We need OLBs badly!  A young RB really bad.  The other areas of need depend on who we keep and who we lose.  And don't forget we have 2 young WRs out with injury that played well in real games, unlike the injured LBs who never made it that far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

That's what make the draft so hard. Do they draft a OLBer or commit to the ones they have? And so on down the line...go with Maroney ( 'cause he is running better) or draft a RB, draft WRs or go with what we have. I guess that's why I'm armchair coach and BB make the big money.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichicksDisciples7. Show BelichicksDisciples7's posts

In Response to Re: DRAFT TALK...:
    Harley, hope u are wrong.  We need OLBs badly!  A young RB really bad.  The other areas of need depend on who we keep and who we lose.  And don't forget we have 2 young WRs out with injury that played well in real games, unlike the injured LBs who never made it that far.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

i don't understand why so many people feel the need to continually disrespect maroney. when the pats give him the ball more than 10x a game, the guy has delivered.  Not to mention the fact that he has scored 8x in the last 8 games. i do agree with you that we need another running back to compliment maroney because in this league you need to have 2 solid running backs in order to succeed in the running game. A change of pace, bruiser back is what we really need. But i definitely agree with you on the OLB needs. The reason our secondary has looked so awful is due to the fact we have absolutely NO pass rush. when a quarterback has 6-8 seconds to find a receiver, he's going to pick apart the secondary every time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i would like a more conventional draft out of the pats this year... i dont want to watch the entire first round without the pats picking anyone... we need an immediate impact player in the D front 7 and i want to see that addressed ASAP... i would be okay with trading up with that oakland pick in 2011 to get Ndamukong Suh could be an automatic starter to replace big sey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

C.J. Spiller of clemson is the next kevin faulk i think.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Fowler and ALL:

I'll give ya my Mock.  ALL the guys I'm choosing by several Mock Sites are On the Draft Board for the Pat's given selection spots, and so therefore most certainly attainable as it stands right now.  Here you ALL go: 

~Round 1Von Miller Texas A&M/Jerry Hughes TCU BOTH 3-4 rush OLBs-Let them seperate themselves during Draft/Combine...  Personally though, I actually like Miller's speed and production more, but some might take him to be a bit underweight at @ 240 lbs.  Yet with a 4.60 40y speed, and something like 20 TFLs and 15 Sacks, I'll survive putting him in the weight room this offseason.

~Round 2 (pick 1):  Jared Odrick 3-4 DE/DT Penn State-6'5 300 lbs.  41 TTs, 10 TFLs, 6 Sacks.  Smart player & Hard, hard worker.  Personally, I actually believe Odrick will be targeted in Rd 1 by several 3-4 teams, but as it stands now, We would be able to snag him here. 

~Round 2 (pick 2):  Eric Decker WR Minnesotta.  6'2 215 and 4.52 speed.  Perfect size for a #2 possession wideout and the perfect player.  Not the fastest, but makes up for it with superb NFL-esque route running, great on-field awareness and an excellent work ethic.  Would be higher, but got injured this year.

~Round 2 (pick 3):  DEALER'S CHOICE (I'm actually going to let BB choose here, but he HAS to choose 1 of the following-See I'm a nice guy to a degree):
    DEFENSE:
    <Corey Wooten DE Northwestern-monster @ 6'7 280 lbs.  BB drafts youth on the Dline, and although Wooten is somewhat inconsistant, IF anyone can tap his potential, BB can (Arthur Jones DE/DT Syracuse, a close second).
    <O'Brien Schofield 3-4 rush OLB Wisconsin-Yes another 6'2 240 something 4.60 fast OLB.  Somewhat undersized, but in a downsizing with speed in a pass-happy NFL, I'll take someone who's fast as he!! & Productive with 51 TTs, 19.5 TFLs, 8 Sacks (Joe Pawelek ILB Baylor, a very, very close second).
    OFFENSE:
    <Dennis Pitta TE BYU-It'd be nice to have an effective TE on the Patriots.  Good size @ 6'5 250 lbs and good speed @ 4.66 40y.  Another hard worker with somewhat decent production considering He had over 1000 yards (ya know, more than any other Div 1A TE)...not bad (Ed Dickson TE Oregon a very distant second).
    <Mike Johnson G Alabama-Might be off the board, but available as of now.  I firmly believe in Drafting O-Lineman later, BUT WITH 2 of our starting Pat's Guards as Free Agents with noone really in the wings, and Johnson @ 6'6 305 lbs, a Guard that has played Tackle as well...I'll live with "wasting" a pick on a O-Lineman (Evan Royster RB Penn State a very close second).

Thoughts ANYONE?
    ~And NO, Belichick has zero choice except to go with ONLY the player options I've offered

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

i would like a more conventional draft out of the pats this year... i dont want to watch the entire first round without the pats picking anyone... we need an immediate impact player in the D front 7 and i want to see that addressed ASAP... i would be okay with trading up with that oakland pick in 2011 to get Ndamukong Suh could be an automatic starter to replace big sey.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

I hear this a lot about them trading out of the first round.  I don't know how many trades they have made but the truth is before this year the Pats have picked in the first round every year (2 times in 2004) going back to 2001.  In 2000 there was no 1st rd pick but they did draft Brady that year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

In Response to Re: DRAFT TALK... : I hear this a lot about them trading out of the first round.  I don't know how many trades they have made but the truth is before this year the Pats have picked in the first round every year (2 times in 2004) going back to 2001.  In 2000 there was no 1st rd pick but they did draft Brady that year.
    Posted by shenanigan

i know that trading out of the first is not something theyve done often, i just dont want it to become the norm... if that makes sense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

i i would be okay with trading up with that oakland pick in 2011 to get Ndamukong Suh could be an automatic starter to replace big sey.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

that's the move BB needs to make. secure the #1 pick and get Suh. This guy is lot better than seymour was in college.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

I know I may get slammed for this, but here it goes. More than a LB, RB, DB or WR, what the pats need is a LOCKER ROOM LEADER. Having said that, I believe Tim Tebow is the best candidate to come in and be humble, play whatever position he is asked, and develop into a locker room leader that puts on emphasis on teamwork and winning. Regardless of how they use him, I think his athleticism and attitude are exactly what we need these days.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

No rookie is going to be a locker room leader.  We would need a good vet for that.  And please dont draft Tebow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

ok...ummm let me put this gently... Tebow is a great guy from all accounts, but he is not someone the Patriots would ever pick or should ever pick unless they want to take a flyer on him with the last pick of their draft board (obviously he will be gone by then but you get my point).
    Maroney is ok RB but I would still list RB as a need position along with LB, WR, and DE.
    As for who you take when it depends on who is avaiable. I am a firm believer of taking best available on your board and not reaching more then a very little. If you really want someone move up or down or whatever you need to do. @011 is the draft I can't wait for with OAklands #1 likely being a top 5. And even if the draft is weak you can get a solid player that early!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

Right now , it's tough to figure out just where the Pats first selection in 2010 will be .
      It could be anywhere from #20 ( meaning they just missed out on the last wildcard spot ) to #32 ( Hello SB ring number 4 ... although after barely beating a mediocre Panther team that started a mediocre no-name Qb ...at HOME , closer to #20 seems more likely  )

If their first round spot is currently up in the air...then their 2nd rounder(s) are even more of a mystery as the Pats have both the Titans and Jags 2nd rounders in 2010 .

The Titans started off in the crapper after a brutal 0-6 start culminated with their Foxborro floggin' . Then after their bye they forged an amazing 6 - 1 record ( Only a loss at Indy marring their turn @ ) Now they actually have an outside shot at the Playoffs .

The Jags season also started off badly at 1 - 2 until  a week 4 win against the Titans got them rolling . They rattled off their own impressive winning streak until the Titans beat 'em 3 weeks ago , followed by a win vs Buf and a loss to Miami that put them at 7- 6 and currently holding down the last AFC wild card spot.

Best draft case scenario is obviously to have both "lose out" to end the season ( though I'd personally like to see Jags knock off INDY on Thurs , and it's hard to see how Titans losing to Dolphins on Sunday helps the Pats present cause )

Pats actually play Jags in Foxboro in 2 weeks ~ that one should have major playoff AND Draft ramifications .

My best guess is both Titans and Jags finish the season at 8 - 8 and we get awarded picks somewhere around # 18 and #19 of the 2nd round .

If the unthinkable occurs and we drop our next 3  ?
    ... we too would be 8-8 .

In which case our 2nd round picks might end up becoming a very improbable 18 , 19 , & 20 .

( Wonder if the Rams would take our # 1 and three #2's for SUH ? )

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Not the pats style at alll to move UP , but i think this could be the draft to do so. There are alot of really good players that will be in the top 15. Maybe Dunlap , Mcclain , right now our 2gap scheme isnt working because of the players we have , they could help. Also could U imagine nightmare Cody n Big Vince side by side!? Yea I know we need pressure believe me I know , but Im a "best player available guy" and i wouldnt get and olb that just cause we need one. Also think maybe Spikes teamed up w/ Mayo , Or a Berry or Mays. We need safety help as well and they could be GREAT. I wouldnt touch a rec. till late 2nd round. And think bout RB early 2nd.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Tebow , cmon , r u cerial? First no rookie is gonna step in n become a locker room leader , sorry , but that foolish. He never proved that he can play QB postion straight up , and most importantly I throw-up a lil' everytime I hear that moral garbage. PRODUCE , I dont care a bit if ur a nice guy or not. Your not coming over for thanksgiving n we're not going out share a coke n a smile.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Another OLB to replace Adalius Thomas when he is gone. They only need one because Crable will be a great NFL player, that's why Belichick still has him on the team. 

A RT. Kaczur can't block a five year old. 

A young WR. Moss-man and the great white Wes need help. 

That's about it to me. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I'm waiting on who comes out for the draft because if it is a gold rush for availability this could be a really deep draft.  It is where a guy like Hughes could drop some.

The Pats will stay in the 1st round because of the talent I expect to be there.  Last year I thought they would move out of the 1st round because I didn't see any one there that I would draft.  When Maualuga dropped, I couldn't believe it.  I thought the Pats would bite but passed on him.  That sent a message that this guy had some issues.  That was confirmed when he dropped out of the 1st round entirely.  Because of last year don't think the Pats make a habit of this.  Last years discussion on the draft was that it was one of a bunch of 2nd round type talent.  I thought the Pats did an excellent job in getting four 2nd round picks and got some nice players out of it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think the Pats make a run at a FA WR, and don't draft one next year. Perhaps Greg Jennings if he is not already locked up with a contract?

They still have Tate who will come back next year and I think will make a nice #3/#4 option for Brady. Moss, Not sure what I would do with him, but he is clearly not the #1 option he once was. Too inconsistent. 

I think the Pats again focus on D this draft and look at OLB's and possibly corners. I don't think Wilhite is a starting corner. Nice nickel guy. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Moss is the #1 guy.  He's just the scape goat for what's happening.  He is not a problem.

A couple of things.  The OL.  Vollmer does so much for the cure here.  All we need is one more stud and this thing is fixed.  There may be a couple of guys let go so depth will be a problem here as well.

Even when the Pats got Galloway this team was short on WRs.  So, I would hope we would be in the market for some WRs this off season.  Having Tate in the wings is nice. 

The rush is the key.  This has to be fixed.  I would make it priority one by FA or draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

Fowler and ALL : I'll give ya my Mock.  ALL the guys I'm choosing by several Mock Sites are On the Draft Board for the Pat's given selection spots, and so therefore most certainly attainable as it stands right now.  Here you ALL go:  ~ Round 1 :  Von Miller Texas A&M/ Jerry Hughes TCU BOTH 3-4 rush OLBs-Let them seperate themselves during Draft/Combine...  Personally though, I actually like Miller's speed and production more, but some might take him to be a bit underweight at @ 240 lbs.  Yet with a 4.60 40y speed, and something like 20 TFLs and 15 Sacks, I'll survive putting him in the weight room this offseason. ~ Round 2 (pick 1):  Jared Odrick 3-4 DE/DT Penn State-6'5 300 lbs.  41 TTs, 10 TFLs, 6 Sacks.  Smart player & Hard, hard worker.  Personally, I actually believe Odrick will be targeted in Rd 1 by several 3-4 teams, but as it stands now, We would be able to snag him here.  ~ Round 2 (pick 2):  Eric Decker WR Minnesotta.  6'2 215 and 4.52 speed.  Perfect size for a #2 possession wideout and the perfect player.  Not the fastest, but makes up for it with superb NFL-esque route running, great on-field awareness and an excellent work ethic.  Would be higher, but got injured this year. ~ Round 2 (pick 3):  DEALER'S CHOICE (I'm actually going to let BB choose here, but he HAS to choose 1 of the following-See I'm a nice guy to a degree): DEFENSE : < Corey Wooten DE Northwestern-monster @ 6'7 280 lbs.  BB drafts youth on the Dline, and although Wooten is somewhat inconsistant, IF anyone can tap his potential, BB can (Arthur Jones DE/DT Syracuse, a close second). < O'Brien Schofield 3-4 rush OLB Wisconsin-Yes another 6'2 240 something 4.60 fast OLB.  Somewhat undersized, but in a downsizing with speed in a pass-happy NFL, I'll take someone who's fast as he!! & Productive with 51 TTs, 19.5 TFLs, 8 Sacks (Joe Pawelek ILB Baylor, a very, very close second). OFFENSE : < Dennis Pitta TE BYU-It'd be nice to have an effective TE on the Patriots.  Good size @ 6'5 250 lbs and good speed @ 4.66 40y.  Another hard worker with somewhat decent production considering He had over 1000 yards (ya know, more than any other Div 1A TE)...not bad (Ed Dickson TE Oregon a very distant second). < Mike Johnson G Alabama-Might be off the board, but available as of now.  I firmly believe in Drafting O-Lineman later, BUT WITH 2 of our starting Pat's Guards as Free Agents with noone really in the wings, and Johnson @ 6'6 305 lbs, a Guard that has played Tackle as well...I'll live with "wasting" a pick on a O-Lineman (Evan Royster RB Penn State a very close second).    Thoughts ANYONE ? ~And NO, Belichick has zero choice except to go with ONLY the player options I've offered  
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

jerry hughes is A LOT better than Von Miller, its just that Hughes doesnt get the respect  or credit he deserves because he plays for TCU. if he played for florida or usc or texas he would be a top ten pick. easily.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I would like to see them get a replacement for Seymour, unfortunately they will probably pick somewhere after 20th in the 1st.  When they got Seymour he was the 6th pick overall thanks to a 5-11 record. 

The best option to get a premier player may be a trade or free agency.  Moving up in the draft is unlikely, I don't think a lot of teams are willing to trade or the price will be very high.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

move down and acquire mediocre talent..... WR receiver seems to be a big need, LBer has people waiting in the wings (Crable and Mackenzie) Oline always needs help. But last Sunday showed the only receiver we have is Welker 
    Posted by harleyroadking103

Lol, so true.  Every Pats fan should compile a list of top rated talent that everyone knows will have an immediate impact and fill a need... then forget about it.

Here's the Pats recent history:  Trade down out of decent draft position, acquire a mind boggling number of late round picks, then cut everyone except for a couple undrafted free agents.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: DRAFT TALK... : Lol, so true.  Every Pats fan should compile a list of top rated talent that everyone knows will have an immediate impact and fill a need... then forget about it. Here's the Pats recent history:  Trade down out of decent draft position, acquire a mind boggling number of late round picks, then cut everyone except for a couple undrafted free agents.
    Posted by fuzzy1

Here is good link to the Pats draft history.  I don't think it shows what you would expect.  The Pats use thier first round picks and those picks are starters.  The do better than most considering they almost never get to pick before 20th in the first due to thier record.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/nwe.htm

Sections
Shortcuts