Draft thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Draft thoughts

-RKraft does still run the team, not BB. Not a single questionable character taken and Lyerla hanging in the wind for ever. I applaud the focus on character issues, and glad Kraft stepped up

-IMO no reaching. No TWilson. No D Harmon. 

-hello Dave D. This is clearly going to be his OL, and not a continuation of Dante. Big, strong, nasty. This will not be a pulling, nimble foot OL. It will be smash mouth. Connolly and Wendell in trouble IMO. Let's rank these OL drafted in 2-3 years, not today, and see how many are on the team. Wouldn't surprise me if in 3 years Cannon is the only holdover. Tricky situation both player wise and financially for the OL to be in this state of flux

-I really like Jimmy G as a student of the game, hard worker and quick release. What I like most: he can and will learn this offense. He is accurate. He won't take sacks. 

-smarter and more informed than myself have already opined on Easley. There is no need for him to play right away. I am not going to compare him to other injured players. But let's stop with "no precedent"....Pats chose Easley at 29 and chose Ras at 33. They have done this before. Didn't work out with Ras, but no reason why Easley can't be a grand slam.

-watching White he looks like Ridley when he came out of school. White however has the rep of never fumbling. Speaking of which seems like the Law firm has run it's course in Cinnci

-I still maintain if no WR taken 1 or 2, a later round choice isn't going to make this team. Too many players and contracts already here. 

-all of these drafted players most likely have very, very minimal impact on the team this year. This draft is with an eye 2-3 years down the road, and this years players that step in are named Kline, Cave, Boyce, Collins and Ryan. 

-I understand that Keller was waiting to see how the TE drafting unfolded. Pats nt choosing a TE is fairly positive in terms of Keller coming here

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Draft thoughts

Rkarp, I posted this in another thread, but it seems relevant to the discussion here, so I'll repeat it below the line.  Looking at the rumoured UDFA signings, Pats seem to be addressing the TE and LB depth needs there.  We'll see if any of those guys pan out.  I'm thinking, though, this is likely to be a one TE offense.  When Gronk is in, we've got our guy, and there's no issue.  The need at TE, therefore, is for a guy who can share the back-up role with Hoomanwanui and play on those occasions when we do want a two-TE formation.  

As I've said many times, I don't watch much college football so I can't judge how good any of these players really is. That said, here are my impressions of the Pats' draft:

What I Like

• Everything I read about Easley makes me think he's the disruptive DL the Pats really need. Like many others, I worry about the injuries, but assuming he's healthy, he's the kind of guy that (along with Chandler Jones) is going to make a lot of QBs have bad days. BB is moving toward a more aggressive, attacking front seven and guys like Easley, Jones, and Collins could be fun to watch. Maybe the next time they face a guy like Manning in the playoffs they get some pressure on him and disrupt his timing.

• I like the Garoppolo pick. I understand the fans who would have liked to have seen us use that second rounder on someone who would have helped us this year. But with Mallet's contract ending after 2014, it makes a ton of sense to get a third QB in now so that in 2015 we have a back up for Brady who knows the system. Everything I read about the kid makes me think he's right for the Pats--even "righter" than Mallet. His strength seems to be his mental skills--smart, quick study, and good decision maker. Belichick likes guys who play smart. In my opinion, the most important trait in a QB is the ability to make quick, correct decisions. The second is to release the ball quickly and accurately. Garappolo apparently has those skills, and that's a big plus. Whether he's Brady's successor or not it's way too early to tell. But he does seem to be Mallet's successor and we needed that this year rather than next.

• I like all the OL picks. I think most, if not all, will end up on the practice squad if they even make the team, but BB has given us three chances to get one guy who can play. I like those odds.

• The RB, WR, and CB are all filler kind of guys, but decent camp competition at positions where depth helps.

• I'm intrigued by Zach Moore. Wondering if this guy could turn out to be the sleeper of the draft. As a hybrid DE/OLB he fills a position of need too.

What I don't like

• I'm still not sold on the pass receivers we have. I really wanted either a TE or a WR who could start--and ideally both. I do think, however, that we would have had to have picked one of these in the first two rounds to really get anyone with much of a chance of making an impact in year one, and given that, I'm okay with the Pats having gone with Easley and Garappolo instead.

• I worry about depth at LB. Maybe we have more depth there than I think. Nink is a wildcard who can play the position if we get desperate (and have DEs to replace him, which we may have). But still I would have loved to have seen a quality guy at the LB position.

Given where we are today, I'm feeling pretty good about the defense, as long as Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo, and Easley are all fully recovered and healthy. The secondary is strong (even without a great SS) and the front seven--at least in the starters--is athletic and talented. I really like the starting D. Depth may still be a concern, but I think (if healthy) this defense will be very good. The offense still has a number of question marks. The OL (with Vollmer back and assuming one of the new OL works out) should be okay. Brady is Brady. But the skill positions around Brady remain full of question marks. Can Ridley really be the lead back or will he be benched for fumbles? Can Vereen stay healthy? Is there a decent TE to fill in for Gronk until Gronk gets healthy--and once Gronk gets healthy will he stay healthy? Will any of these receivers be an impact player? Given the personnel, the likelihood is we are a one TE offense, which means we probably need three decent WRs. Do we have that? I'm not sure. But hopefully Dobson really can be a decent number one and Amendola isn't the injury-prone bust he looked like by the end of last year. Ideally Lafell ends up being the guy who replaces Hernandez, Gronk is healthy, and Amendola, Edelman, and Dobson (and maybe one of the others) produce a decent rotation at the other two positions. Time will tell. I'm not 100% confident in the offense, but overall I still like where the team is in May.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Thanks, rkarp, and, prolate, I'm in essential agreement.  Overall optimistic but the concerns that you've expressed are pretty much mine as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think the three offensive linemen they selected are the key...one of them needs to turn into a player, I imagine it will be the center...the tackle they drafted kind of reminds me of a Greg Robinson Randall type (and I don't know if that's a good thing).

I like Easley - the injuries are a major concern for the simple fact that they happened to him. What does that say about his body makeup? Some guys just don't have the tendons to do this type of stuff. I think if healthy he adds a dimension to the interior of the line that we have been trying to add for years, Belichick even went so far to have Cunningham rushing up the gut to provide some kind of push in there. As much as I do like Easley, I don't think this is a can't miss kid even if healthy...he is small, he does almost get engulfed by blockers on occasion, and I don't think he adds much at all at end.

I like White for where he was selected...nice vision, good pad level, can get outside, can make a guy miss, is well built for his height, he doesn't fumble and he can catch.

i don't like the quarterback selection there - we are a team with some real needs at linebacker, defensive line and tight end and we spent a valuable second rounder on a guy who may never be our starting quarterback.

Overall I'd give the draft a C.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pro, good insight. What I disagree on, and with most here, not only you, is WR. I do think Amendola is elite, in much the same way Wes was. I also really, really like what JE brings at WR. But the guy that intrigues me the most is Boyce. I found him to be electric last year, and had hoped the Pats found ways to put the ball in his hands more often. I am not thinkingmofmtrying 100 catches, but 35-40 catches with YAC ability to score at any crease taken. 

I am not sold on Lafell. I do think Dobson will be a solid #2 with spikes against certain coverages. I think Thompkins struggles to make the team, especially if the Pats have finally drafted a KR/PR that is also listed at WR. 

I simply don't see Nink at LB, and actually heard him say last year "that ship has sailed". As a DE that will occasionally drop back in coverage, no problem. But as a LB he will be picked on and taken advantage of with most any QB in the NFL. Wouldn't surprise me to see another FA brought in to compete. Think Tracy White type. 

I happened to bump into Buchanon a few times this offseason. He is bigger, and I think he surprises in his year 2 jump. He looked impressive, hope he can transition the look to production

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Good stuff here, and surprisingly all on point without a lot of hyperbole. I do think this draft reflects the managements analysis of the roster as a whole. I think they really like the starters and key back-ups across the board and didn't see a lot of options in the draft where they were drafting to really challenge those starters. The exception being O-Line where they in effect triple dipped having ignore the position for the last two drafts and with an eye to the interior three spots.

The move tight end position is interesting because it really is more a big receiver than a TE - Hern was never a great blocker so maybe they aren't really that high on finding another TE to fill that role.

On receiver - unlike previous draft picks, last years crop seemed to gel with Brady pretty well when they played - you didn't see the level of frustration with them that he had with previous WRs. I think that bodes well for their continued development and were we actually going to find a better option in the mid rounds than those already on the roster? And I find the late pick of Gallon intriguing - he is a guy that has been told he can't make it at every level and has gone out and set records - sort of like Welker. Add in the Michigan connection with Brady and who knows.

The RB position is a little weak and next year maybe an area that needs a lot of attention with contracts expiring, but it has been so devalued by the NFL that there are always a lot of FAs available cheap and/or late in the first two rounds of a draft.

LB - the depth issue is a bit of a concern, but the players we are really looking to replace are late draftees/UFAs so between waver wire and the UFAs and the young guys on the team we may have that covered - the starters are 2 first rounders and a second rounder so I don't think the team felt desperate to find someone in the draft.

D-Line - would have liked a big body and certainly some concern with Easley, but Armstead is presumably in the mix this year and the team knows a lot more about him now than they did last year having had him in the building if not on the field all last year.

O-Line - some big bodies coming in, some decent young bodies already on the team. I would have liked to see a true guard selected instead of Easley, but maybe the team really didn't like the top end of the draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pro, good insight. What I disagree on, and with most here, not only you, is WR. I do think Amendola is elite, in much the same way Wes was. I also really, really like what JE brings at WR. But the guy that intrigues me the most is Boyce. I found him to be electric last year, and had hoped the Pats found ways to put the ball in his hands more often. I am not thinkingmofmtrying 100 catches, but 35-40 catches with YAC ability to score at any crease taken. 

If Amendola plays like he did in that first Buffalo game last year, he can be like Wes.  What bothers me (even more than the injuries) was the fact that he disappeared late season.  Maybe there were still injury issues, but he just wasn't making much of an impact and was almost invisible in the playoffs. Collie looked better.  We'll see how he does this year with some more time in the system and hopefully better health.

Maybe a bigger concern for me at WR, though, is the ability of either Amendola or Edelman to stretch the field, catch the ball reliably when they are running directly downfield, and provide that big target for Brady who can also fight for the ball in tight coverage.  Edelman wasn't very effective in the Broncos playoff game, I thought.  He did get open, but he either couldn't get to the ball or he couldn't win battles on the sidelines.  He's a small target who requires perfectly thrown deep balls and whom the Broncos covered successfully with just a single defender.  Dobson (or Thompkins) really needs to step up to give us that complementary receiver to the Amendola/Edelman slot types.  Where I do like LaFell is his size.  He's not a TE or an H-back, but he's got a little of those characteristics in his size and blocking ability.  The Panthers used him in the backfield a lot and I see him sort of taking the Hernandez role on the team.  

I'd love to see Boyce work out, but last year he just didn't seem to be able to make the field.  I assume it's more learning the system that he needs to do, so hopefully he takes a big step forward this year.  His speed could be a big asset.  My fantasy right now is that this Jeremy Gallon kid turns out to be the next Troy Brown too . . . but at this point it is pure fantasy. 

If Gronk is healthy, things do look a lot better.  He actually can stretch the field . . . and his size is a nightmare for DBs, so the offense looks very different when he's in.  The question is whether he'll be 100% after that knee injury.   

I am not sold on Lafell. I do think Dobson will be a solid #2 with spikes against certain coverages. I think Thompkins struggles to make the team, especially if the Pats have finally drafted a KR/PR that is also listed at WR. 

I simply don't see Nink at LB, and actually heard him say last year "that ship has sailed". As a DE that will occasionally drop back in coverage, no problem. But as a LB he will be picked on and taken advantage of with most any QB in the NFL. Wouldn't surprise me to see another FA brought in to compete. Think Tracy White type. 

I don't see Nink as a main LB, but he can back-up there in a pinch.  Right now we have the three presumed starters: Hightower, Mayo (who hopefully will be full recovered), and Collins (still inexperienced, though talented), Beauharnais (a bit of a mystery, but maybe the primary back-up), and some special teamers listed as LBs, plus a few DEs like Nink who could probably play LB if we need. I agree we'll see more FAs coming in during the summer.  Apparently there already a few rookie free agents signed, and veterans may show up as the summer progresses and even after final cuts.   

I happened to bump into Buchanon a few times this offseason. He is bigger, and I think he surprises in his year 2 jump. He looked impressive, hope he can transition the look to production

I'm hoping he adds to the mix at DE. We've got a few developmental players there as well as the experienced Will Smith, so I'm feeling okay.  I think both Armstead and Easley (assuming health for both players) can also rotate into the DE position.  Overall, I'm okay with the guys with their hands in the dirt (assuming Wilfork and Kelly are both back).  But the stand-up guys seem thin to me.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I think Bb was too early with the Qb, unless he becomes that good, but 

I am one who thinks another immediate impact player was needed more, not a lot of yrs with TB left

this is yr two for our wrs, the second hardest position to learn, and learning our system and getting Tbs trust , I couldn't see another rookie wr,.

After reading all the reviews of teams and players, this seems to have been a depth draft. After top 4 not including bottles every player had ?s

And with the large number of under class men, many players will need more time

I do like the FA Te justin Jones. He will be along with Easley the most interesting to watc IMOIMO

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

One other thing we may want to speculate on when thinking about the offense is the role of the backs.  Are they going to be playing a bigger role in the passing game?  And how much will we try to be the running team so many fans seem to wish we were?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

I think Bb was too early with the Qb, unless he becomes that good, but 

I am one who thinks another immediate impact player was needed more, not a lot of yrs with TB left

Maybe this is a sign BB plans to stay after Brady leaves? Regardless, I do think a reliable back-up QB is a necessity because Brady could get hurt at any time and at his age, decline could set in fast. I don't know how good Mallet really is, but signing him for any length of time as a back-up is going to be difficult.  Getting a chance to play has to be goal number one for Mallet so he's going to want to sign with a team where he has a better chance of getting on the field than he'll have with the Pats.  With Mallet likely gone, developing a new back-up QB is imperative. 

this is yr two for our wrs, the second hardest position to learn, and learning our system and getting Tbs trust , I couldn't see another rookie wr,.

I think this almost shows why getting a back-up QB this year was so important. If the system is hard for receivers, it's doubly hard for QBs and giving the future back-up a year to learn while Mallet is still here makes a lot of sense.

After reading all the reviews of teams and players, this seems to have been a depth draft. After top 4 not including bottles every player had ?s

And with the large number of under class men, many players will need more time

I do like the FA Te justin Jones. He will be along with Easley the most interesting to watc IMOIMO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One other thing we may want to speculate on when thinking about the offense is the role of the backs.  Are they going to be playing a bigger role in the passing game?  And how much will we try to be the running team so many fans seem to wish we were?

[/QUOTE]

Pro I don't think the offensive philosophy changes. I don't think you can pigeonhole them offensively as they usually take what the opposition is giving them.  They will game plan week to week based on the strengths and weakness of the opponent and make the  needed in game adjustments.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pro I don't think the offensive philosophy changes. I don't think you can pigeonhole them offensively as they usually take what the opposition is giving them.  They will game plan week to week based on the strengths and weakness of the opponent and make the  needed in game adjustments.

[/QUOTE]

Very true.  At the same time, though, they can only do what their players allow them to do.  With Gronk, Hern, and Welker they definitely de-emphasized both the deep/perimeter passing game and the run game.  Last year, without the two TEs, they went to more of a three receiver offense and (at times) ran the ball more.  The game plan is always  the result of a combination of what the other team does and what your own team can do. The question I'm interested in now is just what will their particular mix of offensive players allow them to do?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Pat's Fan

Pro, honest debate, on the Qb, if he becomes a good Qb, you are right

i am also liking the Moore.lb pick, very athletic, but raw, we would then have 5 Lbs. Can he progress like Collins did? He may have to

lost in Jet Land

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Very true.  At the same time, though, they can only do what their players allow them to do.  With Gronk, Hern, and Welker they definitely de-emphasized both the deep/perimeter passing game and the run game.  Last year, without the two TEs, they went to more of a three receiver offense and (at times) ran the ball more.  The game plan is always  the result of a combination of what the other team does and what your own team can do. The question I'm interested in now is just what will their particular mix of offensive players allow them to do? 

[/QUOTE]

They will use what is at their disposal. As always when talking about this offense you have to preface all comments with if healthy… They will ride Gronk  when he returns, Edelman & Amendola will both be in the 70 plus catch range and Dobson and Lafell will provide those intermediate sideline routes as well as those intermediate to deep curls and in cut routes. The question i have is how are they going to use Boyce?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pat's Fan

Pro, honest debate, on the Qb, if he becomes a good Qb, you are right

i am also liking the Moore.lb pick, very athletic, but raw, we would then have 5 Lbs. Can he progress like Collins did? He may have to

lost in Jet Land

[/QUOTE]

If Grappollo turns out to be inept as a back-up, then the pick really will be a bust, but conceptually I like the idea of getting a good back-up now and from what I read about Grappollo, his mental skills make him a good fit. 

I really do hope we find a Collins-like LB in one of these undrafted guys.  BB going for raw talent or small school talent is a good strategy.  He's trying to find the overlooked guy who has the ability but isn't refined enough yet to get picked by other teams.  The question, though, is how soon someone like that can contribute.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Hey! Good thread. I was getting despondent concerning this forum. But if we can get the adults in one room... Some good points made here.

A note on White - I made this point on a thread on him but I will repeat here: I think he has many of the same qualities as Kevin Faulk. Not a dancer - makes quick decision and one cut and goes north and south. Quick step, sneaky hard to get direct shot on. Smallish but knows how to use his body to pass block effectively. More power than one might think in a RB his size. Can catch the ball. ... I will add that Kevin had fumble problems early on. White has "small" hands but he has a rep for not fumbling.

My guess is they see another Kevin Fault type, quality player. And that is a guy who adds clutch plays coming out of the backfield even if he is not a guy you game plan around.

A note on TEs: this year's group was considered by most to be a bit weak overall. Perhaps none of them impressed enough to warrant a pick while they were still on the board. And perhaps we will sign Keller. That wont get us much blocking but it will help in the passing game some.

A note on WRs: I do believe we have 2 good WRs in Amendola and Julian. ANd I do think that Dobson will emerge has a solid player of not more than that. Boyce still has a chance to emerge too as does Thompkins and both showed some flashes (especially Thompkins). You have to keep in mind that (1) few WRs have break out rookie seasons and (2) this offense and this QB are more demanding about running it the way you are expected to which makes it even harder for a rookie to impact. It also puts more intellectually on a player new to the system and you might expect a couple more drops than otherwise because they are so focused on just running the play the right way. When I look at last year I think there is a pretty good chance 2 of our rookie WRs emerge as dependable players and maybe one of them as something more. And heck, we could get a little lucky and get more than that. Frankly it would not surprise me. At this point I like all three though I know that the odds are one of them will not pan out the way I think. --- ANd LaFell looks like a very good compliment to this group of receviers. Glad his is on the roster.

A note on Easly: we don't know if he will be another Gronk in being a special player. We don't know if he will be another Gronk in being off the field come playoff time. We do know he has tons of upside. We also know he is not here to replace Vinny. ANd this brings me to my point: Vinny was not Seymour. Easly is not either of them. If he ends up being special the future of the D line couldl be constructed with him in mind. ANd that might mean going in different ways to emphasize different talents and so different players.

A note on the O line: If we are going bigger and meaner then Cannon may end up starting at G this year. And it is possible that Stork will have a shot at working and then playing himself into a starting spot as well.

A thought about the defense: with Revis and Browner coming in and the development of some of the young DBs the secondary (if healthy) is looking very good. I wonder if there might be some flexibility developed up front in terms of pass rush and stunts that might take advantage of certain players abilities and throw some uncertainty into the minds of the opposing QBs and OCs. A smaller pocket and a little pressure could go a long way with this secondary.

A thought on JG: IF they really like this guy - and I guess they must because they took him in round 2 and with this team that is no small thing to do - I cant complain about the pick. It really surprised me but he seems to have a deep list of the very exact things you would think BB would be looking for in our next QB:

1. Dedicated

2. Very sound mechanics

3. Very strong football intelligence

4. Good vision of the field

5. Strong arm that can make all the throws

6. Accurate

7. Can throw on the run

8. Some athleticism

There have been guys draft MUCH higher in some years that do not seem to have his qualities coming out of college. Sanchez is one example. ANd there are many others.

We do NOT need to be thinking he has to start by year 3. Year 4 would be a real possibility and in fact he could end up starting as late as year five (and so on his second contract) assuming we like him and he likes the team. In the meantime backup QB is a guy you never want to have to put on the field but if you do have to (and you have a playoff caliber team) you really want a guy who can come in and play like a starter and not a clip board carrier. By year 2 you would hope he is starting to be a viable player if called on. And by year 3 a value if he has to take the field.

Assuming JG is good enough to be TBs successor then this was a good pick.

One last thought: I do hope they extend Vereen and Ridley. If WHite is the next Faulk then this would be a very good trio with enough talents to handle an injury to one of the group. A guy like Bolden is a good 4th player. And if not Bolden they can find someone to replace him as a value in the stable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

For those of you who said this draft was not about this coming year you are absolutely correct. This draft for the O-line was about 2015, For the QB was about 2017.

For this year they will look to get Easly in the mix and then after this year they will look to him to be a major contributor.

JG was drafted to be the back-up in 2015 & 2016 and if Brady  is done after his contract expires and JG has progressed then he will become the starter if not they will draft another QB in the 15 or 16 draft. 

Stork will be given a shot to compete but I look for him to take over center duties in 2015… I have a feeling Connelly is getting moved back to center and Wendell gets cut.

White will contribute this year as part of the rotation in the backfield… if he is the real deal and turns out to be a solid dependable back then I think Ridley is gone after next year.

Fleming was drafted as insurance to Solder and Seabass health. He also protects them if they can't resign Solder after his rookie contract.

Halapio is also about 2015. I don't expect Connelly and Wendell to be back after 2014 so Stork and Halapio get to cut their teeth for a year and provide some really good training camp competition along the O-line.

Moore for my money is the most intriguing pick of this draft class. His physical attributes remind me of Willie Mac 6'5 270. I know it is a long shot but if they can teach this kid how to play football this will turn out to be a home run. This is exactly how 6th round picks should be used in my humble opinion.

Thomas and Gallon… end of the draft guys who bring specific things to the table. Will never be starters but perhaps they find a niche with the team. Odds are they don't make the team but how many end of the draft guys around league make teams.

Overall not a sexy draft but more with an eye to the future. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

For those of you who said this draft was not about this coming year you are absolutely correct. This draft for the O-line was about 2015, For the QB was about 2017.

For this year they will look to get Easly in the mix and then after this year they will look to him to be a major contributor.

JG was drafted to be the back-up in 2015 & 2016 and if Brady  is done after his contract expires and JG has progressed then he will become the starter if not they will draft another QB in the 15 or 16 draft. 

Stork will be given a shot to compete but I look for him to take over center duties in 2015… I have a feeling Connelly is getting moved back to center and Wendell gets cut.

White will contribute this year as part of the rotation in the backfield… if he is the real deal and turns out to be a solid dependable back then I think Ridley is gone after next year.

Fleming was drafted as insurance to Solder and Seabass health. He also protects them if they can't resign Solder after his rookie contract.

Halapio is also about 2015. I don't expect Connelly and Wendell to be back after 2014 so Stork and Halapio get to cut their teeth for a year and provide some really good training camp competition along the O-line.

Moore for my money is the most intriguing pick of this draft class. His physical attributes remind me of Willie Mac 6'5 270. I know it is a long shot but if they can teach this kid how to play football this will turn out to be a home run. This is exactly how 6th round picks should be used in my humble opinion.

Thomas and Gallon… end of the draft guys who bring specific things to the table. Will never be starters but perhaps they find a niche with the team. Odds are they don't make the team but how many end of the draft guys around league make teams.

Overall not a sexy draft but more with an eye to the future. 

[/QUOTE]

Great thread guys, thank you. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Not happy with the first pick.  Don't like picking surgically repaired kids to play a violent mans game.  I loved the QB pick in the 2nd and don't know anything about the rest.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

• A lot of people seem to feel 1 or more of the rookies are destined to replace Wendell/Connolly.  That may happen in time, but I'm doubtful it happens in 2014.   And anyone want to guess the only 2 offensive linemen who played and started all 16 regular season games?   While everyone on both sides of the ball were dropping with injuries, guys who can make it through the NFL grind in the trenches should count for something.  That said, if the Pats make a real run at the SB in 2014 at least one of the rookies will need to be in the O-Line rotation this year.

• I really hope they can move Mallett before Week 1.   That probably means he will have to show significant progress in the preseason.   I don't want the Pats carrying 3 QBs all season.  It's a waste of a roster spot.  In the last few years with injuries depleting the roster a lot of the guys who dressed had to play.  No backup is going to get regular season minutes with TB healthy.  And, God forbid if TB goes down, count me as someone who believes his replacement will be found on the waiver/FA/inactive/retired list.   I don't think BB would trust Mallett or JG to take the helm in 2014.

• Easley needs to play meaningful snaps if the Pats make a SB run in 2014.  Hopefully he with Armstead et al can reduce VW's snaps to around 50%. 

• If 2014 turns out to be a championship season the Pats will need to click on all cylinders like the Red Sox did last year.   VW, Kelly, Mayo, Vollmer,  all need to return to play at an effective level.  At least one rookie O Line guy needs to play in rotation - not necessarily start.  Easley MUST be in the D Line rotation.  Ditto for Armstead (consider this his rookie season too).  And like the Red Sox "hit" on just about every FA signing in a big way, most of the offseason Pats FA signings are going to need to contribute.  We can't have another A. Wilson.  So, Revis, Browner, LaFell, Smith, and maybe even Chung need to be factors.  That's a lot to ask for.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey! Good thread. I was getting despondent concerning this forum. But if we can get the adults in one room... Some good points made here.

A note on White - I made this point on a thread on him but I will repeat here: I think he has many of the same qualities as Kevin Faulk. Not a dancer - makes quick decision and one cut and goes north and south. Quick step, sneaky hard to get direct shot on. Smallish but knows how to use his body to pass block effectively. More power than one might think in a RB his size. Can catch the ball. ... I will add that Kevin had fumble problems early on. White has "small" hands but he has a rep for not fumbling.

My guess is they see another Kevin Fault type, quality player. And that is a guy who adds clutch plays coming out of the backfield even if he is not a guy you game plan around.

This is what I was getting at with the backs.  Vereen has already shown some good receiving ability. I don't know what White can do, but getting a guy who can contribute in the passing game as well as the running game gives them another way of getting an effective passing game, even if the TEs and WRs aren't the best. I've heard some intriguing things about Finch (the UDFA they apparently signed) too. None of these guys may make the team, but they suggest an attempt to do more with the backs in the passing game.     

A note on TEs: this year's group was considered by most to be a bit weak overall. Perhaps none of them impressed enough to warrant a pick while they were still on the board. And perhaps we will sign Keller. That wont get us much blocking but it will help in the passing game some.

It's funny how opinions vary so much on the quality of these TEs.  Yesterday I think someone was claiming that eight of them would be good NFL players.  Who knows?  It seems though that the Pats weren't that impressed.  

A note on WRs: I do believe we have 2 good WRs in Amendola and Julian. ANd I do think that Dobson will emerge has a solid player of not more than that. Boyce still has a chance to emerge too as does Thompkins and both showed some flashes (especially Thompkins). You have to keep in mind that (1) few WRs have break out rookie seasons and (2) this offense and this QB are more demanding about running it the way you are expected to which makes it even harder for a rookie to impact. It also puts more intellectually on a player new to the system and you might expect a couple more drops than otherwise because they are so focused on just running the play the right way. When I look at last year I think there is a pretty good chance 2 of our rookie WRs emerge as dependable players and maybe one of them as something more. And heck, we could get a little lucky and get more than that. Frankly it would not surprise me. At this point I like all three though I know that the odds are one of them will not pan out the way I think. --- ANd LaFell looks like a very good compliment to this group of receviers. Glad his is on the roster.

I think the Pats must feel comfortable.  Honestly, I didn't like where the receiving corp (including both TEs and WRs) was at the end of last year and I don't like the fact that Dobson's foot is fractured, but you're right that it sometimes takes a few years for receivers to develop and maybe this group will be much more effective this coming season than it was late in the season last year. 

A thought about the defense: with Revis and Browner coming in and the development of some of the young DBs the secondary (if healthy) is looking very good. I wonder if there might be some flexibility developed up front in terms of pass rush and stunts that might take advantage of certain players abilities and throw some uncertainty into the minds of the opposing QBs and OCs. A smaller pocket and a little pressure could go a long way with this secondary.

Glad you brought this up.  It's a very good observation.  With better man pass defenders in the secondary, it's less risky for the front seven to be aggressive (or to send safeties and corners on blitzes).  Good man-on-man cover guys like Revis allow for a more aggressive pass rush.  With better cover CBs and more aggressive athletes like Chandler Jones, Collins, and Easley up front, a more energetic pass rush could finally materialize in Foxboro. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

• A lot of people seem to feel 1 or more of the rookies are destined to replace Wendell/Connolly.  That may happen in time, but I'm doubtful it happens in 2014.   And anyone want to guess the only 2 offensive linemen who played and started all 16 regular season games?   While everyone on both sides of the ball were dropping with injuries, guys who can make it through the NFL grind in the trenches should count for something.  That said, if the Pats make a real run at the SB in 2014 at least one of the rookies will need to be in the O-Line rotation this year.

• cave and the rookie both can beat out Wendell, and the $$$ the Pats gave Wendell bear that out. Cannon too could beat out Connolly. That's what camp and preseason will sort out. I think the Pats are thinking Cave, Kilne and Cannon move up this year, with the rookies on the PS, except for Stork

• I really hope they can move Mallett before Week 1.   That probably means he will have to show significant progress in the preseason.   I don't want the Pats carrying 3 QBs all season.  It's a waste of a roster spot.  In the last few years with injuries depleting the roster a lot of the guys who dressed had to play.  No backup is going to get regular season minutes with TB healthy.  And, God forbid if TB goes down, count me as someone who believes his replacement will be found on the waiver/FA/inactive/retired list.   I don't think BB would trust Mallett or JG to take the helm in 2014.

• BB has complete trust in Mallett. If not he would not have been here all these years. JP doesn't take a snap the entire year in a regular season game.

• Easley needs to play meaningful snaps if the Pats make a SB run in 2014.  Hopefully he with Armstead et al can reduce VW's snaps to around 50%. 

• Easley best bet is for 20-30% of the snaps, with Armstead and Siligia getting snaps as well.

• If 2014 turns out to be a championship season the Pats will need to click on all cylinders like the Red Sox did last year.   VW, Kelly, Mayo, Vollmer,  all need to return to play at an effective level.  At least one rookie O Line guy needs to play in rotation - not necessarily start.  Easley MUST be in the D Line rotation.  Ditto for Armstead (consider this his rookie season too).  And like the Red Sox "hit" on just about every FA signing in a big way, most of the offseason Pats FA signings are going to need to contribute.  We can't have another A. Wilson.  So, Revis, Browner, LaFell, Smith, and maybe even Chung need to be factors.  That's a lot to ask for.

• you are underestimating the players from last year that did not start. Cannon, Kline and cave all in the program will move ahead while the rookies look to contribute in a year or two

[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

There can be no doubt where the Pats think we lost the AFC Championship game...the interior O line...they are looking to make changes and solidify the O Line for the next several years to ease the transition from Mankins when his contract is up, in case Vollmer's leg is still a mess and if Cannon votes with his feet and leaves after his contract is up.

TE is a major problem right now.....Once Gronk left Hoo-man and Willaims could not get it done...unless Joe Don Looney Duncan can produce a miracle we are in deep trouble here...something has to be done with this position - maybe they'll pick someone up off the waiver wire during camp or the end of camp.

Easley, if his knees hold up, will be a revelation. If not, we still have depth on the D line if the boys are healthy enough to produce and stay on the field. Failing a good report from the docs and utility from the vets, we're in big trouble here and may not win the division.

LB is thin, thin, thin...I think this is why you'll see us in sub-defenses most of the time utilizing 5 DB's, and most often a 4-3 for our "regular" formation. I think we'll also see Nink in the middle from time to time...he does not rush the passer well any longer and we have to hope the two new corners can produce a far higher share of coverage sacks than last year...The kid from Iowa makes this team at LB, he's a two year captain and an academic All-American, a perfect BB warrior from a school he trusts and knows well.

White is a solid back who played against good competition every week and produced without fumbling...he catches passes out of the backfield and runs both inside and outside, plus he can pass block. He'll be here for his full ration of 2000 carries. I think  one of the current backs does NOT make the squad and the name could shock all of us.

Thank the good lord above that Miami's O Line will be in disarray for most of this year and that the QB situation for Buffalo and NY are as usual, not good. If the many things we need to go well do go well, we win the division and maybe the AFC...otherwise, BB will hear it...loud.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

I love the arrogance of proclaiming "Kraft stepped up".  Give me a break with this pathetic routine of yours. BB has never knowingly taken a player that might go off the rails, so enough with that crap. 22 year old prospects are immature and are not sure things.  

BB took Dennard in 2012 because he's friendly with Bo Polini who vouched for Dennard. I can name many questionable players Kraft signed off on like Cox, Dillon or even Moss when he was here. Get off your high horse with this sanctimonius tone you use here on this board.  

Every draft is different, but BB would resign if Kraft was telling him what to do in the personnel department. It's a well known fact Kraft does not meddle within the process.  Of all the NFL teams, NE by far and way creates the best environment for players because of the environment itself. If the player isn't into it, they're gone. It's that simple.

You act as if you have some kind of inner working info like you're friends or an employee of the organization. You're not.  You know nothing other than transferring speculation from whoever your little sources are.

Another good draft for need and hopefully for quality as well.  That makes 5 straight good drafts.

Will Brady be ready in January? I know the D will be yet again, as long as they're healthy this time.