Draft tidbits

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Draft tidbits

Had a chance to listen in on a conf call with some draftniks who take these mock drafts and pre draft discussions very seriously. Some tidbits;

-the TE position has 3-4 legit high draft choice options. After these supposed few, there is a drop off in talent to players that may not make a team out of camp, more PS candidates.  If the Pats are going to make a move at this position, it appears round1 or 2 is where they need to shop

-similarly, the CB position has 3 legit options to make an impact in the NFL in short time, and after those 3 the drop off is quite significant. If pats are looking for CB help ( most likely not) they would need to offer in the first round

-if the draft were to be held today, the consensus was that only 2 QB's are off the board when the Pats pick. This is not good news for the Pats. 

-unanimous agreement that Andre Williams will not be a bull rusher in the NFL, as the defenders are simply too big, too strong and too good tacklers for him to be such a physical runner, and he doesn't possess the required speed, quickness, hands or blocking ability to be drafted prior to round 4. It's possible he could be the first back off the board (Steelers) but it more likely he slides to the 5-8 back off the board

-numerous teams looking to trade back. Wouldn't surprise if the Pats TRADED UP if a player they really like is available at 20ish. Also would not surprise on the clip side if they trade out of 29 with a team trying to grab a QB before Houston and Jacks draft in rd 2. The consensus was that Jacks would be the team to trade up with the Pats, and move ahead of the Texans to get the QB they prefer before Texans select. 

-seems pretty sure Svitek will not be back. Seems the Pats really, really like the in house options over a mid round draft choice for the OL. My earlier thought was the Pats offer in rounds 1-3 for an OL, but sounds like that is not correct

-there was unanimous consensus that the pats would not select a WR

-there was unanimous consensus that the Pats need to address LB depth as the cupboard is bare. Most were not impressed with Beauharnis in last years draft and feel he is not an option other than maybe ST

disclaimer; I was not part of the call and was simply listening on speaker phone with someone who was part of the conversation. The exercise was part of due diligence for draft day and the on air personnel to familiarize themselves with the pats when it is their turn to choose. 

Goes without saying; Reiss knows this team inside and out and has made great strides in his football knowledge. He is without question the go to guy for anything Pats. 

Also goes without saying; I have always been very, very impressed with Bedards ability to break down tape and see things from a scouts point of view. He is simply the best. Period. However, Field Yates is right there with him. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Draft tidbits

Interesting.  I've been thinking LB is something the Pats will grab early--maybe even with their first pick.  I've long thought they might pick a WR (given the apparent depth in the position) if they don't like any of the TEs.  If they do pick a TE, then I think WR is less likely.  Once the Pats re-signed Wendell, I felt they were willing to get by with the OL they have.  My guess is they are focusing on finding starting quality talent in the defensive front seven (LB, DT, and maybe DE), then looking for potential starting talent at TE/WR, then looking for depth in other needed positions (RB, QB, OL, S, maybe even CB if the right guy drops) 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I had posted the above using my sons login by mistake. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

I thought it was you . . . but when I saw ronk1 went back to 2008 I was wondering how someone with media connections like RKarp's had been so silent for so long . . . 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I thought it was you . . . but when I saw ronk1 went back to 2008 I was wondering how someone with media connections like RKarp's had been so silent for so long . . . 

[/QUOTE]

Haha. My son is home from grad school for the holiday and was using my iPad trying to figure out the BDC problems and he was using his old log in. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

good stuff thanks for posting. But the reality is these "draftniks" no little more than some of the posters in here. Stay well.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Lol, sounds a lot like with the draft thread has been discussing actually, minus the WR part. How do we get our own shows  >.>

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to ronk1's comment:

Had a chance to listen in on a conf call with some draftniks who take these mock drafts and pre draft discussions very seriously. Some tidbits;

Thanks for the info.

-the TE position has 3-4 legit high draft choice options. After these supposed few, there is a drop off in talent to players that may not make a team out of camp, more PS candidates.  If the Pats are going to make a move at this position, it appears round1 or 2 is where they need to shop

I'd say 4 decent to good  and 1 very good in this class, think CJF will be available in the 3rd if they wait that long, but they may look to target a Niklas or Amaro or ASJ in Rd 2... I personally don't like any TE's not named Eric Ebron, in Rd 1.

-similarly, the CB position has 3 legit options to make an impact in the NFL in short time, and after those 3 the drop off is quite significant. If pats are looking for CB help ( most likely not) they would need to offer in the first round

I'd prob go with 5 good/very good CB prospects... Dennard and Gilbert being the Top Tier, then Fuller, Roby and Verrett filling up Tier 2... all of which should be gone inside the Top 40 or so and all have Rd 1 talent, IMO.

-if the draft were to be held today, the consensus was that only 2 QB's are off the board when the Pats pick. This is not good news for the Pats. 

I'd prob agree... though it could be a good thing if a team is looking to move up to snag the 3rd and BB is looking to move back a bit.

-unanimous agreement that Andre Williams will not be a bull rusher in the NFL, as the defenders are simply too big, too strong and too good tacklers for him to be such a physical runner, and he doesn't possess the required speed, quickness, hands or blocking ability to be drafted prior to round 4. It's possible he could be the first back off the board (Steelers) but it more likely he slides to the 5-8 back off the board

5-8th off the board sounds far more likely that first back off the board.

-numerous teams looking to trade back. Wouldn't surprise if the Pats TRADED UP if a player they really like is available at 20ish. Also would not surprise on the clip side if they trade out of 29 with a team trying to grab a QB before Houston and Jacks draft in rd 2. The consensus was that Jacks would be the team to trade up with the Pats, and move ahead of the Texans to get the QB they prefer before Texans select. 

Yeah, I'm sure most teams are looking to acqure more picks due to the abundance of talent avaialble in this class.

-seems pretty sure Svitek will not be back. Seems the Pats really, really like the in house options over a mid round draft choice for the OL. My earlier thought was the Pats offer in rounds 1-3 for an OL, but sounds like that is not correct

Could very well be possible, I have them targeting OL on Day 3, but a sleeper name in Rd 1 is Joel Bitonio, if they're looking to target the OL that high.

Good, so that means they will... and I hope they do, this class is absolutely, filthy loaded with them and they could score some value.

-there was unanimous consensus that the Pats need to address LB depth as the cupboard is bare. Most were not impressed with Beauharnis in last years draft and feel he is not an option other than maybe ST

I agree, very underrated topic/positional need... I think this extends to edge rush as well, where they have little depth as things stand today.

disclaimer; I was not part of the call and was simply listening on speaker phone with someone who was part of the conversation. The exercise was part of due diligence for draft day and the on air personnel to familiarize themselves with the pats when it is their turn to choose. 

Goes without saying; Reiss knows this team inside and out and has made great strides in his football knowledge. He is without question the go to guy for anything Pats. 

Also goes without saying; I have always been very, very impressed with Bedards ability to break down tape and see things from a scouts point of view. He is simply the best. Period. However, Field Yates is right there with him. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Good, so that means they will... and I hope they do, this class is absolutely, filthy loaded with them and they could score some value.

Ha ha, love it. MB knows Belichick is unpredictable. Good thread.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Depends on whether BB trades down once or twice...there are not very many good TE's, CB's, OL's, S's or ILB's in this draft...if you need them or want them you have to get them early...No matter how often you run the mock draft generators, even with trades, you see , in terms of TE's, CJF lasting, at best, until early in the 4th, with Amaro and Ebron in the 1st, usually Niklas and sometimes Amaro in the 2nd.....After the 3 annointed great OT's, you have the guys from Tennesse in rds 3-4 and later, and a spinkling of big guys throughout rds 4-6....You can pick up a few huge guards in rounds 3 and 4, but how athletic they will be is very questionable....

The real strength of this draft is WR and DL...there are also a decent fleet of RB's given the "use 'em up and discard them" approach most teams utilize these days....we're living in the age of the "2,000 carry" limit...WR's can be had throughout this draft...so too useful DL's....if you want 4-3 OLB's you can get them in rounds 3-6...QB's...I wouldn't go nuts early on any of them...you can grab a development QB any round after 4 and the ones taken prior to that may not be any better.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I dunno about the QB situation.  Bridgewater may have bombed but Carr has stirred interest.  So maybe three in the 1st round?  The recent talking down of Bridgewater has me suspicious as well.  He wasn't my top guy but to be pushed out of the 1st round sounds pretty radical to me.

Overall, the analysis comes as no surprise.  TEs and Safetys are in high demand.  We'll probably see a lot of reaching at these positions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dunno about the QB situation.  Bridgewater may have bombed but Carr has stirred interest.  So maybe three in the 1st round?  The recent talking down of Bridgewater has me suspicious as well.  He wasn't my top guy but to be pushed out of the 1st round sounds pretty radical to me.

Overall, the analysis comes as no surprise.  TEs and Safetys are in high demand.  We'll probably see a lot of reaching at these positions.

[/QUOTE]

In any event, we're well positioned to grab some late fallers and/or trade down for more picks in rounds 3-5, the "sweet spot" in this draft for talent AND value.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Reiss has come a long way in the last 5 years. He said he only started watching football in 1991. I was in 10 years in by that time, and we're about the same age.

Bedard is a good analyst, but his anti-BB bias here affected his analysis here at times.

Yates is good.  Not sure how these kiddies get these jobs, but they clearly have some kind of a connection. Breer had daddy and I wouldn't be shocked if Yates's daddy had some kind of a connection for him.

Regardless, many here can go toe to toe and then some with these people.  

[/QUOTE]

RUSS

You get the jobs the same way you get any job: by showing up and being around the important people you can learn from, volunteering/doing internships, showing them how passionate you are to be open, learn and give, making connections and staying connected, continuing to stay humble and always developing your knowledge base.

You could do it. You have the knowledge and passion! 

Sometimes, timing is an issue and it is definitely harder starting later in life but one should never use that as an excuse. 

Saints DC, Pete Carmichael Jr. was a good friend of mine while he was at BC as a student and playing baseball. He had played QB in HS but his real dream was to head to the minors after BC just to experience the baseball lifestyle.  There were no offers and it never happened. Instead, he found himself an unpaid assistant-ship at a small NH school coaching lineman. He took it and after about 15 years of really s**t jobs, the Saints asked him to join them. He is really just a humble, hardworking guy who always tries to help anybody around him and  just kept going. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ronk1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Reiss has come a long way in the last 5 years. He said he only started watching football in 1991. I was in 10 years in by that time, and we're about the same age.

Bedard is a good analyst, but his anti-BB bias here affected his analysis here at times.

Yates is good.  Not sure how these kiddies get these jobs, but they clearly have some kind of a connection. Breer had daddy and I wouldn't be shocked if Yates's daddy had some kind of a connection for him.

Regardless, many here can go toe to toe and then some with these people.  

[/QUOTE]

You are not one of them

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

You have a son in grad school? I pictured you being much younger, that's not an insult - I could care less how old anyone is around here - it's just I pictured someone who is connected a little bit with the media to be younger.

Good stuff as usual, personally I'd love to see us trade back a little and land Amaro or Bishop Sankey - I just think either of those guys could come in and help from day one. Amaro just looks so polished catching that football - I don't think you can underrate that - you can draft on potential all day long, but in the end they may never be able to catch like him. And Sankey is just a joy to watch, this is a guy who has a knack for knowing exactly where to go with that football...same as Amaro...he has a skill that can't be taught. These two will be instant offense for some team, neither may be "top 15 talent", but I think both will be very productive.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You have a son in grad school? I pictured you being much younger, that's not an insult - I could care less how old anyone is around here - it's just I pictured someone who is connected a little bit with the media to be younger.

Good stuff as usual, personally I'd love to see us trade back a little and land Amaro or Bishop Sankey - I just think either of those guys could come in and help from day one. Amaro just looks so polished catching that football - I don't think you can underrate that - you can draft on potential all day long, but in the end they may never be able to catch like him. And Sankey is just a joy to watch, this is a guy who has a knack for knowing exactly where to go with that football...same as Amaro...he has a skill that can't be taught. These two will be instant offense for some team, neither may be "top 15 talent", but I think both will be very productive.

[/QUOTE]

MHurl

I watched a lot of Texas Tech games. Amaro reminds me more of a good slot receiver than a TE. Yes, he catches well despite a reputation for small hands but Tex Tech did not use him as a blocker and I don't know how tough he is; so I am not sure if I would spend a 1st round pick on a guy is basically a slot receiver. NFL teams are desperate for TE so Amaro may do well in the draft but I would not risk until the end of the end of 2nd or 3rd round.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

MHurl

I watched a lot of Texas Tech games. Amaro reminds me more of a good slot receiver than a TE. Yes, he catches well despite a reputation for small hands but Tex Tech did not use him as a blocker and I don't know how tough he is; so I am not sure if I would spend a 1st round pick on a guy is basically a slot receiver. NFL teams are desperate for TE so Amaro may do well in the draft but I would not risk until the end of the end of 2nd or 3rd round.

[/QUOTE]

Don't care for him that much...he's been dropping of late...speed not there for a guy who doesn't block well...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

MHurl

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think he goes second round now with the way things have gone for him in workouts, he didn't run all that well at the combine and I heard he dropped some passes at the combine too. I know a lot of people are kind of down on him around here, but I like his ability to catch passes and I think he can be taught to block, because the guy has the size for it. Maybe I'm wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

MHurl

[/QUOTE]

Don't care for him that much...he's been dropping of late...speed not there for a guy who doesn't block well...

[/QUOTE]

Yeah that seems to be the consensus, but I like him. I know he didn't run well at the combine, but on film for a guy his size I thought he ran really well. And I just love the way he catches the football. I have seen guys who caught the ball well in college come into the league and seemingly forget how to catch the ball...Daniel Graham was  a pretty good pass catcher at Colorado and then he came here and fought every ball thrown his way. Dobson was supposed to be one of the best hands catchers in college football last year and then he came here and was shaky catching the ball last year...so I guess you never can tell, but Amaro looks like he will catch 60 balls a year too me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes I do, and a daughter a few years older than him. 

I also see a RB in the Pats draft plans assuming the board falls the way they think. Sankey or Hyde make sense for me. I heard a thought of the Steelers over reaching on Williams from BC, they like him quite a bit. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

For some reason (boredom) I decided to try one of those mock draft simulators, fanspeak.com. Kind of interesting, but what happened is when pick 29 rolled around, the highest rated player was Dennard, the CB. So, I picked him. 

So, is that a good pick, BPA? Or do you pick for a more pressing need? You can never have too many CBs, right? And Revis is probably one and done, his cousin is on the team, etc.

By the way, if it matters, I drafted the first 4 rounds only and took Hyde, Quarles, McCarron and Stork after Dennard. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For some reason (boredom) I decided to try one of those mock draft simulators, fanspeak.com. Kind of interesting, but what happened is when pick 29 rolled around, the highest rated player was Dennard, the CB. So, I picked him. 

So, is that a good pick, BPA? Or do you pick for a more pressing need? You can never have too many CBs, right? And Revis is probably one and done, his cousin is on the team, etc.

By the way, if it matters, I drafted the first 4 rounds only and took Hyde, Quarles, McCarron and Stork after Dennard. 

[/QUOTE]

I ended up trying this using need as 1st criteria and then best player as 2nd criteria. I will say there were some interesting choices if you use best player available as the only criteria.

Ended up with…

Hageman Rnd 1

Yankey    Rnd 2

Richburg  Rnd 3

Clarke     Rnd 4

Feidorowicz    4

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes I do, and a daughter a few years older than him. 

I also see a RB in the Pats draft plans assuming the board falls the way they think. Sankey or Hyde make sense for me. I heard a thought of the Steelers over reaching on Williams from BC, they like him quite a bit. 

[/QUOTE]

I can see why some teams would over reach for Williams, he probably looks like a super hero in workouts and he does have some skill. I just think he goes down too easily for a guy his size, plus he runs through some huge holes. I do like his ability to get positive yards when he is met in the backfield though.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'd draft Dennard in a second if he's available.  They look set at CB in the short term, but Revis' future in NE is uncertain and I believe Browner is one strike away from a one year suspension, or something of the sort.  Dennard is arguably the best, most complete CB (a premium position) in this draft and could start opposite Revis from Day 1 and be their #1 for years to come.  At the end of the day, I don't see him lasting until #29.

Sections
Shortcuts