Draft wishlist... need the draft gurus.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Draft wishlist... need the draft gurus.

Draft gurus on these boards, tell me what you guys think about these prospects...

DT Jesse Williams (6'3 320) in round 1. Has been compared to Vince Wilfork as a stud who can't be moved. How lucky for us that we have Vince for him to learn from. 

Draft Da'Rick (however you spell this fools name) Rogers (6'2 206) in round 2. Has been called Baby Julio Jones thanks to his unique size, speed and athleticism. Easily a first rounder, but his drug related past might watch him sink to the second of third round. Can line up in the slot and in the outside

Draft Bacarri Rambo (6'1 220) in round 3. Good tackler, good size, very instinctive, good learner and was a best compared to La'Ron Landry. Like Rogers, Rambo (kick@$$ name BTW) has first round talent, but off the field drug related suspensions might keep him on the board until day two. 

Well? If I were playing GM, these would be my first three draft picks, but knowing BB, he's going to trade down to get a 4th, 5th and 6th rounder. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Draft wishlist... need the draft gurus.

Williams won't be there.  He's a higher draft pick.  The better chances are for Hankins or Jenkins.  As  far as Da'Rick Rogers goes he's kinda slow isn't he.  I'd prefer someone who played in a major conference as well.  I don't see Rambo lasting that long but time will tell.  I see the Pats trading the 2nd pick right now and I've been damned good at calling those shots the last couple of years.  Right now it's too early to call but as it stands I see them trading that pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

Williams won't be there.  He's a higher draft pick.  The better chances are for Hankins or Jenkins.  As  far as Da'Rick Rogers goes he's kinda slow isn't he.  I'd prefer someone who played in a major conference as well.  I don't see Rambo lasting that long but time will tell.  I see the Pats trading the 2nd pick right now and I've been damned good at calling those shots the last couple of years.  Right now it's too early to call but as it stands I see them trading that pick.

4.40 for a man his size is not slow, Anquain Bolden runs a 4.71, slower than Welker, and people wanted him. And the 4.40 was the slowest speed, his best speed is 4.34. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I've read Rogers as a 4.5.  I don't think that Bolden is that slow.  At least he didn't show it in the playoffs.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Also, for his lack of play against elite players, Torrey Smith played in Maryland and look at him now. Also, Williams should be there, DTs aren't sexy and most GMs might pass on Willaims. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Draft gurus on these boards, tell me what you guys think about these prospects...

DT Jesse Williams (6'3 320) in round 1. Has been compared to Vince Wilfork as a stud who can't be moved. How lucky for us that we have Vince for him to learn from. 

Jesse Williams is an extremely interesting prospect. MB likes him a lot and I can see why. The kid has size and power with decent speed. But, the kid is very raw and will need time to develop. He gets vertical way to often and doesn't have that explosive burst you want to see in interior rushers. His hand placement needs work and he needs to develop pass rushing moves as bull rush seems to be his lone stand by. He should go someone in the mid 2nd to mid 3rd. Using a 1st on him my be a bit high given other more polished DTs available but the kid has a high ceiling if he can reach it

Draft Da'Rick (however you spell this fools name) Rogers (6'2 206) in round 2. Has been called Baby Julio Jones thanks to his unique size, speed and athleticism. Easily a first rounder, but his drug related past might watch him sink to the second of third round. Can line up in the slot and in the outside

You spelled his first name correctly but he's closer to 6'3" which makes him slightly more valuable. This kid is a fighter at the line and in the air. He has top 20 talent with the combination of size and toughness. His drug related incident will knock him out of the first as well as other character concerns which may have lead to his dismissal from his team. He isn't quick off the line and doesn't seem to have a second gear but has a long stride. So, it might take him a bit to get up to speed but once he reaches it he's pretty fast. Not the best route runner and doesn't have great YAC ability but is a plus blocker and will make the tough catches. He should be a mid 2nd to late 3rd round pick

Draft Bacarri Rambo (6'1 220) in round 3. Good tackler, good size, very instinctive, good learner and was a best compared to La'Ron Landry. Like Rogers, Rambo (kick@$$ name BTW) has first round talent, but off the field drug related suspensions might keep him on the board until day two. 

Rambo really lost out not entering the draft last year. The suspension really hurt his stock but he came back very strong and played well down the stretch. Still the concern this kid might not be willing to listen to advice about staying clean is what will knock him into day 2 and possible to the late 3rd. He has a ton of talent and I think Landry is a good comparison because the question is if he'll ever full utelize his talent. During senior bowl he was solid but not up to his talent level as he appeared to be going through the motions and was disinterested. Depending on how teams feel about his character concerns he could go anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th

Well? If I were playing GM, these would be my first three draft picks, but knowing BB, he's going to trade down to get a 4th, 5th and 6th rounder. 

Not bad, I like taking the chance on Rogers because I think we need his fight in the receiver core and if we trade back the 1st to the 2nd J Williams would be a good pick up. Rambo though I'm not sure I like. With the other two you can see they play hard regardless of the situation but with Rambo I see more of a me first type of attitude which could become an issue in contract talks or motivation from time to time. His on field production is unquestionable but I'd want to know where his motivation was before using a pick on him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

4.40 for a man his size is not slow, Anquain Bolden runs a 4.71, slower than Welker, and people wanted him. And the 4.40 was the slowest speed, his best speed is 4.34. 

I've heard from a lot of places Rogers is a 4.5-4.6 guy. Walterfootball has him at a high 4.4 speed but they get most of there times from game tape which tends to lead to fast and slow times depending on a guys stride and Rogers has a very long stride. It will be insteresting to see his combine results

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

I've read Rogers as a 4.5.  I don't think that Bolden is that slow.  At least he didn't show it in the playoffs.

Boldin actually ran a 4.71 at the NFL combine. 4.5 for rogers who is about 4 inches taller than boldin is really good.

4 inches taller? inch and a half, 2 inches at most. AT least according to all documentation at reputable sources.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Boldin actually ran a 4.71 at the NFL combine. 4.5 for rogers who is about 4 inches taller than boldin is really good.

4 inches taller? inch and a half, 2 inches at most. AT least according to all documentation at reputable sources.

4 inches, 2 inches, he's still faster than Anquan. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Hard to say without knowing what the Pats do during FA first. ..or the likelyhood, post combine, of where those players are expected to be drafted?

I do not dislike any of the players you listed.

With any WR it has always been will Brady get on the same page as him. Can he learn the system. Is that player willing to put in the numerous hours and work to get it? Do you know anything about Rodgers work ethic and character makeup?

If you are suggesting going after a safety and not a cornerback then are you also suggesting the Pats will sign Talib or move McCourtey back to CB? Are you writing off Tavon Wilson who is a safety they just spent a 2nd round pick on last season?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

4 inches, 2 inches, he's still faster than Anquan. 

In shorts and t-shirt? Does he play faster? Its always amazing to me how much discrepancy there is with players between what they run like in a dash in shorts and T-shirt and how they play.

Can he make sight read adjustments fast while running at full speed? Does he carry his pads with the same speed as he runs in pajamas?

I have no idea but I do not dislike him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In shorts and t-shirt? Does he play faster? Its always amazing to me how much discrepancy there is with players between what they run like in a dash in shorts and T-shirt and how they play.

Can he make sight read adjustments fast while running at full speed? Does he carry his pads with the same speed as he runs in pajamas?

Hey Low to answer some of your questions. Rogers can be caught from behind and lacks the ellusiveness and quick change of speed/direction to make adjustments at full speed. He's not a very fluid WR and rounds off corners. He'd have trouble getting separation from most DB's but he makes up for it in fighting for the ball and size. Not a great jumper but has a good catching radius and can take a beating while keeping possession. He's a more of a toss it up and let him go get it type of WR (ala Boldin) then the Welker type of gaining separation with elusiveness and quick change of directions.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Hard to say without knowing what the Pats do during FA first. ..or the likelyhood, post combine, of where those players are expected to be drafted?

With any WR it has always been will Brady get on the same page as him. Can he learn the system. Is that player willing to put in the numerous hours and work to get it? Do you know anything about Rodgers work ethic and character makeup?

If you are suggesting going after a safety and not a cornerback then are you also suggesting the Pats will sign Talib or move McCourtey back to CB? Are you writing off Tavon Wilson who is a safety they just spent a 2nd round pick on last season?

1.) Don't know squat about Rogers as a player, I don't follow NCAA, but Tom Brady is Tom Brady. He should be able to demand and command respect from a rookie. And I'm tired of the diva attitude Brady picked up, if a WR isn't on the same page work with him. It's part of the reason I'd rather see Welker move on. Tom just gives up because he knows Welker is there. 

2.) I'm suggesting we resign Talib and keep McCourty at S, even then, we have a need at the SS position because Gregory and Wilson both suck eggs. Gregory isn't talented...at all and Wilson is dense. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Hey Low to answer some of your questions. Rogers can be caught from behind and lacks the ellusiveness and quick change of speed/direction to make adjustments at full speed. He's not a very fluid WR and rounds off corners. He'd have trouble getting separation from most DB's but he makes up for it in fighting for the ball and size. Not a great jumper but has a good catching radius and can take a beating while keeping possession. He's a more of a toss it up and let him go get it type of WR (ala Boldin) then the Welker type of gaining separation with elusiveness and quick change of directions.

Thanks

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I want to say Boldin was coming off a pretty serious knee injury heading into the draft that year and it was part of the reason he fell...also part of the reason he ran so poorly. Boldin is and always has been a long strider, but you're right though, he was never really a burner. I imagine a couple of years after his knee injury he was running in the 4.5 range, but I could be wrong...and certainly he isn't doing that now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

1.) Don't know squat about Rogers as a player, I don't follow NCAA, but Tom Brady is Tom Brady. He should be able to demand and command respect from a rookie. And I'm tired of the diva attitude Brady picked up, if a WR isn't on the same page work with him. It's part of the reason I'd rather see Welker move on. Tom just gives up because he knows Welker is there. 

2.) I'm suggesting we resign Talib and keep McCourty at S, even then, we have a need at the SS position because Gregory and Wilson both suck eggs. Gregory isn't talented...at all and Wilson is dense. 

That might be a lil bit harsh for Wilson as a rookie in BB's system. You may ultimately be right but seems a lil early.

He played in all 16 games so stayed healthy.

He had more tackles (41), INT's (4), and Passes defended (6) than any of the following players did in their rookie seasons.

Brandon Meriweather

James Sanders

Patrick Chung

Other 2nd round safties for other teams that Wilson had a better rookie season than

Rahim Moore

Taylor Mays

Rookie seasons very statistically similar to Wilsons

Nate Allen 

Eric Weddle 

Wilson may end up being a dud but seems early to write him off.

If the Pats keep McCourtey at Safety, sign Talib and Arrington, and miracle willing, you have a healthy Ras-I then I think you have enough to carry on with Gregory and Wilson for another year. Not to mention Dennard.

Especially if you can generate some interrior pass rush and Jones takes a 2nd year step forward.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

Jesse Williams is the top player on my board.  Very good size/strength type with good quicks, both up the field and to the flanks... he's a bit raw as a passrusher, but can push the pocket from the interior... he's a kid that I feel can come in and contribute from Day 1 and should immediately improve their rush defense, which is already pretty good.  Very strong at the POA and can eat a double, versatile with the ability to play the 5 or NT in a 34 or inside in a 43... very good football player with upside, IMO.  He could be off the board before 29, but I think he makes a ton of sense if he's there.

Long term, he provides the "heir apparent" to VW as NE's primary inside defender.

Haven't done much research on Rogers, but it looks like PE and others have him covered pretty well. 

As for Rambo... On the positive side, he does have good size and ball skills, on the negative, he has character red flags and isn't a real physical player, something I think they're missing.

He's a kid with the talent to eventually start at the S position in the NFL, though I'm hoping they bring bring in more of a banger (i.e. Elam/Rd 1, Cyprien/Top 50, DJ Swearinger/Rd 2-3, Motta/Rd 3-4, Josh Evans/Rd 3-4 & Shawn Williams/Rd 3-4, etc.).  Personally, I think Tavon ca n give them what Rambo can give them, but they don't have an intimidator on the back end.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

not bad 49. all legit.

i dont have dt as highest need (further, if i got a dt, id want a guy who can penetrate consitently. our de schem needs to cahnge imo to keep up with todays elite teams).

to have a good defense in the nfl these days you need a pass rush (ideally with the front 4).

so i have pass rusher as top need in fa or draft.

rogers is one of the big  outside wrs i have as a pick in this draft for us(though at the lower end of the wrs i have in mind)

rambo i have a a value pick if we go safety in the draft. i dont have safety as a top 3 need for us (with 3 draft picks)

ive outlined my thoughts on this for several months. heres a summary:

with 3 picks, if we get a pass rusher in fa, a take the top cb avail ie rhodes, then big outside speed wr with hands.

with no pass rusher in fa, im looking to either trade up to best pass rusher in reach (ie ansah) or grab the best avail. (lastly, there is the risky option of trying to nab carradine in rd 2)

top 3 needs pass rusher, cb, wr.

then o line, speedy cover lb, safety, dt 

in that order.

schemewise a move to hittign bigger wr further downfield than 4-5 yards every down

josh learning hwo better to mix in the run and having multiple threats inthe game at the same time (including rb behind the qb) adn better gameplans (or replacing josh).

and on de, bb swicthing to more aggressive defensive scheme through the whole seaosn (against most teams).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Jesse Williams is the top player on my board.  Very good size/strength type with good quicks, both up the field and to the flanks... he's a bit raw as a passrusher, but can push the pocket from the interior... he's a kid that I feel can come in and contribute from Day 1 and should immediately improve their rush defense, which is already pretty good.  Very strong at the POA and can eat a double, versatile with the ability to play the 5 or NT in a 34 or inside in a 43... very good football player with upside, IMO.  He could be off the board before 29, but I think he makes a ton of sense if he's there.

Long term, he provides the "heir apparent" to VW as NE's primary inside defender.

Haven't done much research on Rogers, but it looks like PE and others have him covered pretty well. 

As for Rambo... On the positive side, he does have good size and ball skills, on the negative, he has character red flags and isn't a real physical player, something I think they're missing.

He's a kid with the talent to eventually start at the S position in the NFL, though I'm hoping they bring bring in more of a banger (i.e. Elam/Rd 1, Cyprien/Top 50, DJ Swearinger/Rd 2-3, Motta/Rd 3-4, Josh Evans/Rd 3-4 & Shawn Williams/Rd 3-4, etc.).  Personally, I think Tavon ca n give them what Rambo can give them, but they don't have an intimidator on the back end.

i was wondering when the local draft wiz would pop in!

a little off topic but is all this nonsense lately gonna affect manti on draft day? the media is treating this silliness like the kennedy assasination for pete's sake!

let the kid just play football..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

a little off topic but is all this nonsense lately gonna affect manti on draft day? the media is treating this silliness like the kennedy assasination for pete's sake!

i made a lengthy analysis of the whole sit when it came out.  wont do it again here.

from what i see sense, hes dropping in need overall, therefore teams wont have to take him as high if they want him.

seems he dops some but not bigtime. 

so far appears top half rd 1 before the mess to bottom 3rd of rd 1 so far (the drop)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

On manti...I think his stock slips a bit, but its not just the silliness , he didn't show up in the most I,portent game of the year. He is still a good player, land will go,I think in round 1. Maybe to cincy. Given their needs 

I like Jesse Williams mainly because he is big and strong and has yet to reach his full potential. He is raw as a pass rusher, and just raw as an overall football player. He hasn't been playing the game long. With the right coaching, development and start ing next to vw, watch out . I also like that he is versatile...I think he can play on any line configuration which also means we can sub Vince or move him around more with confidence. He would be a solid pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Personally, I think his play vs. Alabama will effect his draft stock more than the Lennay situation, though Alabama makes most players/teams look bad.

Kid is a proven/seasoned player that can stay on the field for all three downs, so a the end of the day, I think he's a lock for Rd 1, likely Top 25 pick... not sure he every shoulda been mentioned as a Top 5 or so kid to begin with.

Sections
Shortcuts