Draft workout/visits listed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Draft workout/visits listed

In Response to Re: Draft workout/visits listed:
    If we look at the old draft trading chart, we have the ammo to move up if we were targeting a specific player; ie.e Brockers or Barron. 27.  680 31.  600 48.  420 62.  284 94.  124 128. 44 (i'm not sure where this pick is yet, anyone know after the comp picks were awarded) I think we should keep pick 31 as it is a perfect spot to land Branch/McClellin or one of the other 34 OLBs. So, 27 and 48 gets us to 14 27 and 62 gets us to 17 I've seen Brockers mocked a lot to DAL at 14 and PHI at 15 so this would seem to be the range we'd have to move to.  As I said before, we only have a couple of missing pieces on the team.  What if we packaged 4 of our picks to try to get Brockers and Barron? 14.  (27/48)  Brockers 25.  (31/94)  Barron 62.  McClellin or Curry 128. Broyles or Bernard Pierce  (both injured guys who represent big time value if there) We then bring back Carter.  We just need a couple of pieces and we're set.
    Posted by Faucetman

In your scenario faucet, you are using both 1sts to move up to land Brockers and Barron. I agree with your thoughts on Dal and Philly. However, both of those teams also need safety help and could be real candidates for Barron, along with several other teams picking before us.

The more I think about the drop off of talent in this safety class (next year being much better), i think we should be moving either McCourty or Moore to FS and grabbing a CB (where there is better depth this year), and possibly look to draft a big safety later on this draft to back up Chung like Iloka.

I like the idea around Brockers. Package 27/48 to move to 15. Grab Brockers or if by some chance Cox slips, maybe him.

We then trade pick 31 into top of round 2. So a 2nd this year, 2nd next year. 2a we grab Branch. 2b/2c could be a swap between McClellin/Curry (OLB/DE) and Hosley/Robinson/Boykin/etc. Meaning grab each of 1 of those at 2b and 2c.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Brockers would be a nice addition. He would add a kind of versatility to the set. He could (and has) playe 3-tech, under, and END on either side. In practice I think he is a good candidate for left end, across from whoever is playing elephant DE.  He is an incredibly athlete by any regard, but I'm not so sure about BB taking a flyer on an underclassmen that high.  Intriguing, to me, are Bruce Irvin and Ronnel Lewis. Either of these guys could contribute at that elephant position. Given the loss of Anderson, and the uncertainty about a player of Andre Carter's vintage, I see it as a major question marks going in. And both of these men would stand as second round pickups likely, maybe 3rd, meaning NE could address other holes (DB) a bit higher.  All in all, I agree with the draft strategy we are seeing take shape here.  Frankly, I think the offense has enough talent, and NE needs to focus on getting the defense up to snuff. They would get more out of the offense by adding more talent on defense than by adding another star player in the former. A defesnse that could get more timely stops, and more forced turnovers, in short more possessions for the offense (3-4 more per game), could net this offense another 10-14 points per game, especially against stingier opponents. 
    Posted by zbellino

Perhaps you are right on Brockers. Would you do make the trade up for Cox? Similar type of package (27 & 48).

I think if we are looking to replace Carter/Anderson, we need a DE/OLB bigger than both Irvin and Lewis. I like them both, but neither could play 4-3 DE in the NFL. I'm thinking a bit bigger like Curry and McClellin. Both are in the 260 range, and can move between DE and OLB. Both should be had in round 2 as well.

Something nobody is currently talking about is the knee surgery of Spikes. It seems like he will be okay and return to form, but he's missed some significant time inside. Is Fletcher the guy to start with Mayo, or do we consider a kid in this draft that we could play inside? personally, I think Ronnell Lewis could make a very good ILB. I think that is his natural position. he has the hitting capacity of Spikes, but is quicker/faster and better in coverage. he also is a ST stud. I would love to see Mayo/Lewis inside together in a 3-4, with Nink/McClellin/Curry/Branch (take your pick) on the other side.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

If we look at the old draft trading chart, we have the ammo to move up if we were targeting a specific player; ie.e Brockers or Barron. 27.  680 31.  600 48.  420 62.  284 94.  124 128. 44 (i'm not sure where this pick is yet, anyone know after the comp picks were awarded) I think we should keep pick 31 as it is a perfect spot to land Branch/McClellin or one of the other 34 OLBs. So, 27 and 48 gets us to 14 27 and 62 gets us to 17 I've seen Brockers mocked a lot to DAL at 14 and PHI at 15 so this would seem to be the range we'd have to move to.  As I said before, we only have a couple of missing pieces on the team.  What if we packaged 4 of our picks to try to get Brockers and Barron? 14.  (27/48)  Brockers 25.  (31/94)  Barron 62.  McClellin or Curry 128. Broyles or Bernard Pierce  (both injured guys who represent big time value if there) We then bring back Carter.  We just need a couple of pieces and we're set.
    Posted by Faucetman
    The Pats are not moving up to get Brockers heis Immature, over rated and did not test well at all at the Combine and in interviews. He is not the next Richard Seymour.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I love the fact that they are bringing in LSU players. The Ron Brooks kid is Special. He is an athlete that can do it all. Patriots Player if there ever was one. He reminds me of Ellis Hobbs in regards to his Enthusiam, competitiveness and toughness. He is more talented though. Looks like a backup WR. Plays like a linebacker. Can cover kicks with the best of them. Can blitz from the Corner. He isnt the best Cover CB, but will make up for it with smarts and toughness.  I would welcome him for sure. I also like the Taylor kid at safety. I would be happy if we added him. Looks like they are def. looking at CB. Not that we dont have a solid rotation when healthy, but B.B. is always looking for CB's. You can never have enough. I also like the Irvin kid from W.V.
    Posted by patsfan76

There is a great value adding from the bench and surplus players from that defense. Starting at CB, for instance,was hard. Most of LSU's starting CBs will end up as first round locks ... but their backups were still pretty good. If they were on any other team, they might have been starters, which means they might have been higher ranked. 

From that perspective, they are great "values" that can be had late. 

Brockers is tricky ... he is raw, but gifted. I wish he had comitted for another season, but if he did fall to NE I would love them to grab him. Athletes of his caliber are rare at that position. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Draft workout/visits listed : There is a great value adding from the bench and surplus players from that defense. Starting at CB, for instance,was hard. Most of LSU's starting CBs will end up as first round locks ... but their backups were still pretty good. If they were on any other team, they might have been starters, which means they might have been higher ranked.  From that perspective, they are great "values" that can be had late.  Brockers is tricky ... he is raw, but gifted. I wish he had comitted for another season, but if he did fall to NE I would love them to grab him. Athletes of his caliber are rare at that position. 
    Posted by zbellino

So you are an LSU fan:-)

If he went back for one more year to build upon his raw skills and further develop he would be a top 10 lock for '13 that the Pats would have no shot at.

I was thinking picks 31, 63 and a future 1st or 27, 48 and a future 2nd is what it would take to land in the 12-16 range. But are Brockers/Cox really worth it over getting Still, Reyes or Worthy?

It is not like we are desprate for a WR and are deciding between trading up for Floyd or assuming we'd get Hill or an OT and it's a Reiff or Adams choice. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

No big names besides brockers....I dont like that I do like brooks...brockers in our situation with good coaches and vet DL could live up to his potential....the next big sey. If we have to trade up for brockers im fully down... i reli like whitney at olb than brett roy at 94 hes more a safe pick nink like olb brockers as a de/dt whitney initially as a rusher, roy as a 1 n 2nd downer and brooks just like at lsu off the bench at corner would be a great injection of youth

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Posted by Faucetman

that looks good faucet, but we have had better mocks (how relaistic they were we'll see). if we dotn trade up we can land a lot more. unless bb feels he needs brockers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Draft workout/visits listed : haha, nice imagine if we lost two 2nd rd picks instead of one 1st for spygate?? I'd have drafted Brandon Flowers or Tracy Porter since Asante was about to walk. Then we'd have not had the Wheately/Butler picks!!! The commish woulda done us a huge favor if he treated us the way he did the Saints. We had an extra 1st that year (Mayo) and the Saints had no first this year (obv we own it) so if the situations were the same I bet NO gets docked a 1st for sure like we did. Boooo I guess we could also have traded Maroney a year early (a 3rd in return?) and gone with Forte. Or traded Ty Warren off a pro-bowl season (a 2nd?) and drafted Calais Campbell, saved 5 million and put that into an extension for Seymour (more important to keep than Ty BY FAR). But that is more of a 'what if' then just taking 1 of two highly rated CB's that went in the 30's when we ended up drafting to lesser rated ones (Wilhite as well) that draft anyhow. Errrr
    Posted by rameakap

got me smilin man!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Draft workout/visits listed : In your scenario faucet, you are using both 1sts to move up to land Brockers and Barron. I agree with your thoughts on Dal and Philly. However, both of those teams also need safety help and could be real candidates for Barron, along with several other teams picking before us. The more I think about the drop off of talent in this safety class (next year being much better), i think we should be moving either McCourty or Moore to FS and grabbing a CB (where there is better depth this year), and possibly look to draft a big safety later on this draft to back up Chung like Iloka. I like the idea around Brockers. Package 27/48 to move to 15. Grab Brockers or if by some chance Cox slips, maybe him. We then trade pick 31 into top of round 2. So a 2nd this year, 2nd next year. 2a we grab Branch. 2b/2c could be a swap between McClellin/Curry (OLB/DE) and Hosley/Robinson/Boykin/etc. Meaning grab each of 1 of those at 2b and 2c.
    Posted by PatsLifer

The more I think about the drop off of talent in this safety class (next year being much better), i think we should be moving either McCourty or Moore to FS and grabbing a CB (where there is better depth this year), and possibly look to draft a big safety later on this draft to back up Chung like Iloka.  "

thats where i have been

but where's teh wr

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: Draft workout/visits listed : The more I think about the drop off of talent in this safety class (next year being much better), i think we should be moving either McCourty or Moore to FS and grabbing a CB (where there is better depth this year), and possibly look to draft a big safety later on this draft to back up Chung like Iloka.   " thats where i have been but where's teh wr
    Posted by bredbru

i am not opposed to that. this year there are some speedy CBs in the second and third rounds.

Sections
Shortcuts