Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

joshuatree

I like Nic Harris also. He looked like he covered well in pratice. But practice is practice. I didn't notice him in the game. I tivo'ed it so I'll go back and look again. Harris is listed at 6'3" 230lbs. Harris is closest to Bo Rudd at 6'3" 235 and Tank Williams at 6'2" 223lbs

I also won't to see if Ayers from TN can drop in coverage. Maybe he could be a later round pick up as a DE/OLB convert. At the very least I think he could be a 3rd and long pure pass rush guy.We've all seen how that's went lately for the Pats. Some people think Maybin could be a pick that makes the switch. Maybin looks to go earlier so I think that's just to much risk. We need sure things in the early rounds. English looked good in the game at OLB. I can see why he's on the rise.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

Z, I think Kiper understands that he needs to mix up his rankings a bit to generate readership and discussion. The two ILBs have been a part of the draft conversation for two years now, so they aren't new or exciting to Kiper's readers.

I think Maualuga has as good a chance at being a Pro Bowler as a rookie as anybody, and since he is much better known than some of the other rising prospects, its easy to nitpick his game and put a down arrow next to his name. Just my 2 cents.

As far as Laurenaitis, I'm wondering if he could play some of that role that BB envisioned for Tank Williams last year, dropping back a little bit, in addition to more traditional IlB duties.

I'd be happy to land either, but happier with Maualuga.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

Didn't Kiper call Mankins and Wilfork reaches ? There is a reason he is on ESPN and not GM of a reputable NFL team. I still believe it would be difficult for the Pats to get Mauluaga at #23. He was, arguably, (with Taylor Mays) the best defensive player on one of the best defenses in the country. Heck Kiper probably had him rated in the top ten if he declared last year. The only thing (hope, hope) that can cause his slippage to continue is a poor showing at the combine. I do believe that Laurenaitis could fall to #23 more so than Maualuaga....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

I like Maualuga alot, but I don't think the Pats should trade up for him unless he drops out of the top 15. If he's there at #17 or something like that and the Pats think he's their guy then go for it.

This is huge year for the Pats and they need to find guys for the future. Trading picks to move would cost them some elite picks(2nd/3rd rnd) and I just don't see that happening. Hopefully I'm wrong and we do land someone like Maualuga or Everette Brown.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

Like I have said before, that 23 spot looks sweet for now. There are several LBs to look at as well a couple of CBs. If you don't get one you just pick the other. This is no need to move around in the first round.

One note on Kiper. He's all over the place all the time just before the draft. Nobodies draft board looks like his. I believe what arodrambone said. He mixes it up to create dialog.
    JohnHanna - Mankins was called a reach by a lot of folks. Wilfork fell to us so I doubt he was concidered a reach. At the time it was the perfect pick for the Pats. Wilfork was a top 15 on everyones draft board that I saw at the time. I remember wishing for the Pats to move up and get him somehow thinking that that would never happen. I couldn't believe it when we landed him!
    Personally, I'm not a real big fan of Maualuga. But, that's just me. I'm more excited about landing Laurinaitis who has the same size and is faster.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

Yeah, Wilfork fell to us. Warren was considered a slight reach but not by too much.

Very interesting point Z about Maualuga potentially being a liability on 3d down. I'm still unsure how bad he is in coverage, and what the results showed on the field. Would you rather have Laurenaitis? If Maualuga's coverage is adequate, his bruising hits might make up for it, especially late in the game after the starting RB has been drilled 7-10 times already. I guess I'll be looking at the linebacker drills at the combine, for whatever that may be worth.

I think Cushing would be a very safe pick, even if he would seem to duplicate Thomas to a degree. Maybe his pass rushing is underrated. I still wonder if Michael Johnson could make the switch and develop some technique and motivation. He would block a hell of a lot of passes, and some field goals as well. He'd probably get killed against the run though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

Oops, Z you responded to my post before I even published my post:)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

And I missed your elaboration before sending that "oops"

Yeah, if we were losing Thomas or Vrabel, Cushing might make more sense

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

ZB, Whoops I just threw a # out there, oh well no biggy! Last year I thought Laurenitis looked pretty solid, but after watching him in a few games this year I kept seeing him make tackles 5-7 yards down the field and not in the backfield. It should be interesting to see where he ends up and what kind of D he plays in. Love his dad when he was Animal of Legion of Doom. Good times!

Arod, I also wonder if Johnson could make the move. I guess I want to see the Pats draft the next or closest thing as possible to Willie McGinest.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

Didn't mean to rag on Kiper too much; just some of idiots that post mock drafts that seemingly give advice to men that are better than them at what they do.

EG: "Belichick might have to have his hoodie examined for brain leakage if the Pats don't draft a linebacker here". Yeah and after you're done writing that you can wash his car.

Sorry about the rant, ZB I still like Sintim in the 1st and Chung in 2nd. I am starting to like English. All those posts and I am still kinda where I started. Draft a LB and safety. And get Barden with the Asante comp. pick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

Z, where do you put Laurenaitis? Borderline like Cushing or elite like Maualuga? The best of the borderlines or the worst of the elites?

Sometimes I wonder whether the linebacking situation is more stable than we assume. Depending on what they think of Crable and Guyton, they might not even think of it as a first round option, unless Maualuga dropped to 23.

I also wonder how willing Vrabel would be to move inside.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

You still get props for Lamar Woodley though, ZB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

ZB, I think you called it with moving Vrabel inside. The Pats depth inside IMO is weak compared to the depth they have at OLB. With Bruschi/Izzo good years behind them, it might be the right thing to do for the team. Unless of course Guyton showed BB he's got what it takes and they will add depth either in the draft or F/A.

OLB depth: Adalius Thomas, Mike Vrabel, Pierre Woods, Shawn Crable, Vince Redd, Darrel Robertson, and Angelo Craig (Some good young talent)

ILB depth: Tedy Bruschi, Jerod Mayo, Gary Guyton, Bo Ruud, Larry Izzo and Eric Alexander

Do you think BB will let the young guys battle it out for that starting OLB spot if Vrabel is moved to the inside? Maybe see a rotation of Woods, Crable and Redd? Depending on what they do in F/A of course.

Do any of you guys think the Pats will bring in a veteran ILB like Zach Thomas to rotate with Bruschi and Guyton? He almost signed with them last year and may want to get as far away from Dallas as possible.

Also is this the year BB continues to break his drafting trends and takes a CB in the 1st?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

Frantz Joseph what do you guys think about him he plays for FAU small school but he had 140 tackles and has a high motor out on the Field seriously guys check him out could be a sleeper

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

Vrabel stays outside. He's great inside, but taking on guards took a toll on him after 2005 and 2006. He had back problems.

No need for a corner or safety. We're all set there.

OL or LB, preferably OLB. Who would fit at OLB in our system? I don't know any college players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiminycricket. Show jiminycricket's posts

Draft

we need defenders who can slow down a passing game.

belichick has not adjusted his defense towards the pass in the last few years. the run defense is solid, but the pass d is weak.

need to start blitzing again and get some pressure on the QB to slow down the opponents passing game

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Draft

No time to spend here ..... but real quick......look at the numbers ..... they brought in a number of LB's to "learn" their system.....Crable, Woods, Redd Guyton, Mayo, Ruud, etc. It's clear they will draft elsewhere in April. My gut on their priority list is TE DB DL and OL. Obviously not going out on a limb here.

The mix of Floyd Reese, Casserio and BB will make for a solid evaluation process. Say what you want .... Pioli was great ...but he didn't make tackles or score TD's. So I don't think they will miss a beat here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Draft

[Quote]No time to spend here ..... but real quick......look at the numbers ..... they brought in a number of LB's to "learn" their system.....Crable, Woods, Redd Guyton, Mayo, Ruud, etc. It's clear they will draft elsewhere in April. My gut on their priority list is TE DB DL and OL. Obviously not going out on a limb here.

The mix of Floyd Reese, Casserio and BB will make for a solid evaluation process. Say what you want .... Pioli was great ...but he didn't make tackles or score TD's. So I don't think they will miss a beat here.[/Quote]

Yeah. I agree. I expect though that TE, DL, and OL are more secondary concerns though to cornerback and a lesser extent, safety. I'd also add a big inside linebacker to that group and maybe even a receiver. So that leaves a fairly large list of players to target in the first couple of rounds. Trade Cassel, and some of these holes could filled for this season and seasons to come just with first day selections.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Draft

This years draft eval is mostly done, so any Pioli magic will still help for this year. We will take the best available that fit our system. Maybe ILB Maluaga in the 1st, maybe a OT in the 1st and ILB Brinkley in the 4th. I think we need an additional ILB OT OG TE CB SS DL and if someone has a high value for the round a RB or WR

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

At this point, is Vrabel average, above average, or below average as an OLB?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft

Love these guys who just drop in here without reading a lick of any of the previous posts...lol.

Z...that was a sick post...highly informative...thanks for taking the time.

I read somewhere that someone within the Pats organization said they were looking for a pass rusher in this draft. I'm assuming that means an OLB...because it seems like our D line's job isn't as much to get to the QB until they've determined that it isn't a run or a screen...correct me if i'm wrong. Whether we take an OLB early will say a lot about what they think about Crable, Redd and Woods.

If I were to pick one spot to where I think we try to draft a starter with our first pick...it's CB. If either Sanders or Rodney come back we're fine at Safety with Merriweather in the picture. Wheatley could be a starter but his wrist is obviously a huge question mark at this point.

And Wilhite seems like our nickel back, but not necessarily a starter on the outside. Delta O'neal made a few plays, but was brutal to watch more often than not.

At this point I think I'd take Alphonso Smith or DJ Moore @ 23 and then hope Sintim falls to us in the 2nd round.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

Z, I was just re-reading Shawn Crable's scouting report on NFL.com:
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/shawn-crable?id=214

I'm guessing he will be improved this year, hopefully with stronger legs. I'm trying to compare him to Michael Johnson, who seems to be slightly better in just about every category. But probably not so much better that they would pick him with #23.

Michael Johnson is the player who I would have the most regret if we passed him over and he turned out to be great. But Groves was somewhat similar last year, dropped in the draft, and didn't do much for Jacksonville.

Sections
Shortcuts