Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Hey, I think there is a chance that Maualuga is there hangin'around. The way I look at it is that most mocks have literally like fiveor six pure linebackers going in the top twenty and I think that is ust unlikely.

Curry, Cushing, Orakpo, Brown, Maybin, Maualuga, Laryngitis. I have literally seen a mock that has all of these 3-4 type cats off the board. I just look at it like two will likely slip.

It is a GREAT 3-4 year in the draft, but we knew that would be the case last season when it was jam packed with 4-3 ends trying to sell themselves as tweeners like Harvey and Gholston.

Now it is the reverse, and I wonder if a 4-3 team will really be excited about spending a high first rounder on a 250lb DE who might end up getting manhandled against NFL caliber offensive tackles when he could be standing up for a team like NE.

Then I look at teams like NYJ and SD who are 3-4 but won't likely be looking OLB after lsat season.

And I laugh because we get to pick before Miami.

So lets say SF lets one of these guys go, I don't see the Texans taking a stab in the dark. Just my 2 cents.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

m

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Draft

Hobbs ran a 4.45 at the cobine, not a super burner, but far from super slow either. I am not a fan, but he isnt a snail

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

JDC,

I have done both at high school level. No college. Haha, you'd laugh, but I have my master's in English and I'm purusing my PhD. Not football. LOL.

As far as Cushing and Mathews, well neither of them get me ripped.

I like Maybin and Brown, with Sintim as a backup, and I think the possibility is real that one of the first two will be there when NE selects.

SF takes their pick and NE gets a crack at the other one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tscjigga. Show tscjigga's posts

Draft

For the short 5'9 corners. Bill Belichick likes our corners to have fluid hips and quick change of direction, thats why we consistently go with guys like Terrence Wheatley or Ellis Hobbs. Samuel being 5'10 had these qualities, though he had an inch over the rest.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tscjigga. Show tscjigga's posts

Draft

Don't want Brian Cushing, he is a steriod user.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

Cushing def roided. Maroney is going to have a break out year. wouldnt want to waste a 1st round on RB when we have solid Hbs already athough i wouldnt mind taking Rashad Jennning if he is around 3rd rnd so we will see .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

First Maualuga is a ILB not OLB.
    Do you guys think he could be worth the #10 pick over all and moving to make it happen?
    Can anyone remember how we moved back 2 spots last year and what it cost the team that did it?

In hind sight Mayo was very much worth the money and the pick.

Mayo was projected as late 1st round. Everyone said BB never takes a LB high and system was to hard to pick up in the first year. What we got was. WELL YOU KNOW!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

[Quote]

For the short 5'9 corners. Bill Belichick likes our corners to have fluid hips and quick change of direction, thats why we consistently go with guys like Terrence Wheatley or Ellis Hobbs. Samuel being 5'10 had these qualities, though he had an inch over the rest.[/Quote]

Exactly. Quit bashing Hobbs. Hobbs was playing with serious injuries the past two seasons which are likely due in no small part to getting gang tackled on kick return duties. Back in 2006 before he was injured he was a stud at CB. One day someone else will be returning kicks, Hobbs won't be playing hurt, and our secondary will rock.

Now if only BB knew a cure for the glass wrist ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

Yea wheatly has talent .. just gotta fix that wrist and he will be a starter

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

[Quote]Hey, I think there is a chance that Maualuga is there hangin'around. The way I look at it is that most mocks have literally like fiveor six pure linebackers going in the top twenty and I think that is ust unlikely.

Curry, Cushing, Orakpo, Brown, Maybin, Maualuga, Laryngitis. I have literally seen a mock that has all of these 3-4 type cats off the board. I just look at it like two will likely slip.

It is a GREAT 3-4 year in the draft, but we knew that would be the case last season when it was jam packed with 4-3 ends trying to sell themselves as tweeners like Harvey and Gholston.

Now it is the reverse, and I wonder if a 4-3 team will really be excited about spending a high first rounder on a 250lb DE who might end up getting manhandled against NFL caliber offensive tackles when he could be standing up for a team like NE.

Then I look at teams like NYJ and SD who are 3-4 but won't likely be looking OLB after lsat season.

And I laugh because we get to pick before Miami.

So lets say SF lets one of these guys go, I don't see the Texans taking a stab in the dark. Just my 2 cents.[/Quote]

Of the big 5 I see Laurenaitis slipping and would include Maybin and Cushing. I can't see Curry or Maualuaga or Orakpo slipping far enough for the Pats to draft them. It is the draft, though, and some kid is always one crappy Combine showing from slipping. I didn't see much of the Senior Bowl stuff so I'll take your word about Alphonso Smith. I still have some difficulty believing the Pats will draft a corner in the 1st.

Which O Lineman falls, ZB ?

Await your response.

I got drunk at a Motel 6 last night, in case anyone's asking.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

Zb, That's great man and good for you! Goodluck with that and keep up with the great posts. I'm curious if you've read any good football books worth reading?

I'm not sure about the Chargers myself. If LT2 doesn't restructure his contract and he's released or traded, then I could see them going with RB at #16. I can't see Maualuga slipping past the Chargers if he's still on the board Imo.

I think I may have already asked, but what do you think of Michael Johnson? If he doesn't have a big combine do you see him slipping out of the top 20?

Just a change of pace, who do you guys like at the WR position besides the obvious Michael Crabtree?

I watched alot of Maryland games the past few years because one my buddies played for them and I liked what I saw in Darrius Heyward-Bay when he got passes thrown his way. Their a good running team, but when it came to passing they were below average. Like I said when Heyward-Bay got the ball thrown his way he was close to a sure thing of catching it and very athletic after the catch.

Who do you guys like at the WR position in this draft class and who do you think could land on the Pats roster?

Myself I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats draft a big body-type in the later rounds, maybe 5th or 6th. A big guy like Jaison Williams or Patrick Turner. Whether they fit the Pats mold or not, I'm not sure just something I'd like to see. Thoughts?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

I wouldnt mind a big Body Type WR also wouldnt hurt . Are deep Threat would be even more respected. Cal Poly WR Ramses Barden's . He is also very impressive 6'6 hes out of a small school they said he needs to polish his game ... but could be solid WR in the nfl he will be 2nd Day pick As well what do you guys think about him he has crazy hands also.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tscjigga. Show tscjigga's posts

Draft

WR is a bigger need than many people think.

Moss is getting up there in age, and I definitely don't want to resort to our 2006 WR depth with Gaffney and Caldwell.
    I would not mind if we went WR in the first even. It would help make Brady's transition from his injury much easier.
    Many people forget that the success we had in 07 was partly due to Donte Stallworth. We need another WR like that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

Well Said Stallworth was a deep threat and a screen threat because when he got the ball man was he gone shame we didnt resign him, yards after the catch was his specialty he had wheels

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

This draft is sprinkled with WRs throughout the draft. It's very possible to land a couple of them. My hope is that we don't spend a high pick on a WR. I feel there is a high need for LB and CB and that is where the focus should be. Luckily, the Pats spot in the draft order has players there that can fill need positions. Pretty unusual.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Congrats on the 300th post guys! Keep the good talk coming.

If NE can indeed net a first this season for Cassel's services, I wouldn't be against getting a WR either.

Like TSC, it sounds like a wierd case at first, but you have to consider that Gaffney is coming off the books after making $1.3 million. The Pats need a dependable WR anyhow, and yes, Moss won't be around forever.

The average salary NE can expect to pay a rook from 19-28 is about $2million per to $1.6 million per season. So it would almost be a simple replacement through the draft. If a WR like Nicks is available Ican't see him bottoming out to be worse than a guy like Gaffney anyhow.

If Ne has only one selection or intends on trading one of their two out, I would think other needs would take priority.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Draft

[Quote]Davidwa,

Ellis Hobbs Plaxico Burress, SB42. LOL.

But seriously, it isn't a huge factor, I would take the best corner available as opposed to the biggest any day.

That said, to capitalize on a player like this you need him at a value point, not in the first when he is on the bubble. He isn't tall, he isn't physical and can't press, those aren't hyper necessary here, but elsewhere they are so taking him #23 seems a little "reachy" to me.

But if they thought he was the piece that is missing go for it.

As it stands I am sure he will get a workout with the Pats brass, at least for the way he has played at the senior bowl practices (3INT in three days).

Like you said, a lot depends on the combine numbers he puts up. If he shows he can jump, and comes out with the timed speed and shuttle speed people expect he could rise to the point where a #23 is worth it.

God knows NE needs some help in the secondary.[/Quote]

Hello ZB,

I see A Smith as having the potential to be a slightler smaller Ty Law type & that could benefit any team. Ty Law had some huge interceptions for the Pats & many more deflected passes.

RE Hobbs, In watching that SB, IMO he was the best DB on the field for the Pats that day. He made some plays even tho he had the toughest assignment of gaurding the Giant's best WR. He also played hurt in that game because the team needed him to. If a game comes down to one play to decide it at the end you can be sure that a lot of earlier plays could have made a difference also.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Of course I see Laurinaitis slipping first.

I am really thinking of the trio of DE/OLDplayers that are all a bit small to be NFL defensive ends.

I mean a team withsmall defensive ends has 265 pounders like Freeney. So I look at Orakpo and those guys and figure that 250 pounders are par for the course in a 3-4 OLB setup.

Then I wonder who is going to drop a top 15 selection on a kid like Everett Brown to play DE at 25o lbs?

I think Maybin is the least likely to slip, simply because he is regarded as the best of the crop and has a natural landing spot in SF where he would be a great compliment to Willis. Willis and adominant Maybin would make SF have a great young core.

I think Orakpo is the most liekly to fall, just watching him. But it could be Brown.

Ironically, I don't think either is as promising as Sintim, who was my second favorite LB this year until Spikes decided to stay home. Although that is only because he has taken reps in 3-4.

After watching the senior bowl Cushing looked much better which has me a little conflicted.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft

Why does everyone like to put down Gaffney? He's a very good #3 receiver. Moss didn't exactly have glue hands this year either. That being said, if we get a 1st for Cassel, I'd like to see Percy Harvin in Foxboro, along with a defensive back. While Moss is still here, that threesome of Moss, Welker, and Harvin with Tom Brady would be almost comedic to watch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

David,

Yeah, people miss that much about Smith. He has a knack for getting to and being aroudn the ball that Hobbs didn't have.

And he has man coverage skills that Samuel could only dream of.

Also,to the poster that brought up Hobbs' 4.45. That is just adequate for a CB, and for a small CB it can actually hurt them if they don't have other abilities.

Smith stands to run in the mid 4.3's which should be comfortably within the top ten, and about the same as Wheatley.

I am not saying he is a the pick NE should make, but comparisons to Hobbs should stop at the height, because his ceiling is much higher.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I didn't rip Gaffney at all. I am just stating a fact that if you can get a player that you project to be as good but ahs a much, much higher ceiling for the same price it isn't a bad option is it? It is replacing that salary with a player who cna be that split end now, and maybe eventually take over for Randy, which we know Gaffeny won't be able to do.

If they brought Gaffney backat the same figure I would beall for it. He is as solid a split end as you cna hope for when you flanker and slot guy are Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

You can't have all-stars everywhere, and Gaffney (if he comes back) should see a rennaisance again with Brady at the helm. It took Cassel to week 11 to start making reads that had Gaffney out there anyway. He really came on toward the end of the season, and it was only because they were throwing it his way.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft

I just heard of this prospect, Herman Johnson, LSU, from Walterfootball.com, Rated as the #2 Guard in the draft, the kid is an absolute monster at 6-7 382, maybe the Pats go draft him if Duke Robinson isn't on the board at #47.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Herman is huge, but that is it. He is waay weaker than he looks. He is also antithetical to the kind of offensive lineman NE brings in.

I tend to look in the under 330 group because the average NE lineman has been about 310 pounds, and the largest is a backup at 330.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

You and I feel the same way.

They will make the rounds in this deep draft. What a great year to have extra picks, and the prospect that Cassel could land them another is awesome.

Levoir is the guy you were thinking of and he did look the part. It was reassuring considering that a couple back-ups might be gone.

I think everyone wants Maualuga. He would be the perfect counterpart to Mayo in the middle. I just wonder if NE will think they are set there after Guyton's suprisingly effective rookie campaign.

Sections
Shortcuts