Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

On safties.

Chung is probably the best out of all the safeties (as of today). Moore is dropping quickly. Why I don't know. I think the best I've seem Moore is as a tweener, 1st to 2nd rounder type. This is not a good year for the safety.

Micheal Johnson is a borderline 1st rounder.

The 23rd pick is a sweet spot right now. A player could drop to them or they can get the ILB or CB they want with that pick. They don't have to look at that 25th ranked player. Look at where the player is ranked. If he isn't in the top 24 the Pats aren't going to look his way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I actually agree, although it is early to really pin where people are going to line up so hard as to say who isn't worth the pick.

Mayo was on the bubble of first and second this time last season. I also think Alphonso Smith is much better than you are giving him credit for.

But there is a chance with the talent in this draft that a good tackle drops and that would be the choice over lesser talent.

B.J. Raji wouldn't come here. He isn't really a fit unless they see letting Wilfork go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Draft

Raji wont last to us, he can dominate as a NT or DT, too many teams want and need him.
    deseeko, why wont we get 09 draft picks? I strongly think MC will be trade early after he is Franchised. Prop for a 1st this year and a 3rd next with escalators that can raise it to a 2nd

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

I fully expect Maybin to be there at 23. Whether or not the Pats pick him is the question.

I would expect one hell of a deal for them to trade this pick. It's a deep talent pool this year and to give up this pick would prove costly to the Pats future.

They could use a guard too. No question about it. The Pats could use some help on the OL.

Gresham is returning to Oklahoma. I think that TE would be on the radar but the Pats can make due with what they have. The big chance to land one would be with their 2nd pick in the second round. James Casey and Jared Cook are in the area at this date. Casey looks like he's moving up the board so he may become out of reach.

BJ Raji has really scooted up the charts after the senior bowl. Some have him in the top ten now. Personnally I don't think he belongs there but what do I know. And I would have to agree with Z. Raji is going to be a NT or a DT in a 4-3.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft

Maulauga might be the best player to come out of this draft and he is a perfect fit for NE. Bruschi is hurting us more than Vrabel, who doesn't want to move inside anyways. My idea is to package Cassel and our #1 to SF and move up to the 10 spot and get Maulauga. Besides their first pick we get their 3rd this year and 2nd pick next year. Or something like that. I don't think Guyton is necessarily our answer at starting ILB, though he would make a great 3rd ILB.

I think McDaniels will take Maulauga at #12 otherwise.

And if that doesn't work out I say we take Percy Harvin (insurance and future replacement for the invaluable Kevin Faulk, Wes Welker and another receiver) @ #23 or Clint Sintim. Then focus on CB/ILB/S in the second round.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScottJ123. Show ScottJ123's posts

Draft

I say the draft is wide open until we see what BB and company are doing with Matt Cassel this would change the whole draft if we get another pick in the first round.

Scott J

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

The Pats won't get Raji unless they plan on letting Wilfork go (not happening) or Raji is there at 23 and is the best available player (also not happening). The trade of Cassel to SF for Maualuaga may happen, but I still think that Tampa Bay and Minni are in the race for his services.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I am not so sure Maybin is there at #23. He is the bestpass rusher in the draft by many account. A lot of people see him going to SF anyhow.

Ush, what up,

I would place a trade-up for Maualuga on extremely long odds. Maualuga isn't as highly regarded as some people think. And I jsut don't see the Pats signing off on such a trremendous exhange of value.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

The issue I have with Maybin is the question is he 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. You mentioned size earlier ZB and I think that matters depending on what team plays what defense. BTW you were right about Lamar Woodley ZB. Would the Pats rather have him over Meriweather, now ?

I agree that only the trade of Cassel or a trade up would net Maualuga. And I can't see the Pats brass trading up get him.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

Last year in the Pats/Saints trade.
    The Saints give a 3rd round to move up from 10th to 7th and got a 5th to boot. So I guess it could take a 2nd round to move our first up enough to where Maualuga is supposed to go at. Maybe a 3rd with no boot?

Does that sound about right?

Like I said earlier. Do you go get who you want?
    Do you take who falls to you?
    Do you wait till you find a FA that want's $$$$?
    Either way we have to get someone to fill Teddy's shoe's soon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

Laurinaitis ILB would be there. At least he's in the neighborhood for now.

I don't talk about trading Cassel until it happens. It will tell a lot of things. If he isn't traded that means Brady will not be ready to go. If he is traded, to who? Who ever wants him will dictate where the draft pick will be. Not some guess whether it be to KC or SF and such. And would it be for a #1 this year or a #1 at all? The Cassel thing is wide open.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

yea its kind of annoing not to know what the deal is with cassell is he traded or not come on lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

The only problem I see here, USH, is that BB is not getting fair value for the two firsts; he moves up and only nets a 4th round pick 2010. For two firsts you get a shot at Aaron Curry (the best LB in this draft ?) or at least he should. I'd rather the Pats brass keep the two firsts and use one of their 2nds to move up with say the Minni pick to grab Mauluaga. I still think the best trade scenario if they want Mauluaga is to trade Cassel to SF for the 10th overall. Denver will be attracted to any offer that involves getting multiple picks because they have no one that can play D.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft

Hogrulz,

Ok even better...but I'm not sure BB will want to move up any further than 10 because it becomes cost prohibitive and Maualuga seems to be more of a pure ILB than Curry anyways, who projects to go even lower than 10.

And I definitely agree that Denver will want multiple picks in the first round to rebuild their non-existent D.

What's the deal with Tank Williams this time around?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I am not anooyed about the Cassel situation. The trading season hasn't even started so we can't possible know what will happen. Haha.

Oh, Maualuga. It is really hard to find faults with this kid. But he has numerous disciplinary issues and isn't as fast as most teams like. That makes him slightly less attractive to 4-3 teams looking for that speedy center fielder type. So I wouldn't be suprised to see him go off the board at something like 16 or 17.

I think his size makes him nearly protoypical as a 3-4 MIKE.

My point is that you need to find a team willing to cough up a #12 for this kid, would need to be paired with a team willing to give up points to move down. IOW, Denver would have to be up there and not really see anything they want. Because they ain't getting two firsts for a #12. Not for Maualuga. I don't see many teams wanting to give up major value to move up for an ILB.

If NE had the #10 and were offered #22-23 I am pretty sure they would trade out instead of drafting Maualuga.

I think Hannah hit it on the head. Something like #23 and #57 would be a better deal for #12. That is like 1100 for 1200 with the tax of 100 for moving down.

But in reality, with a player like this you wait until he is approaching a value point you like and you get on the phone. If NE had a major b0ner for this kid maybe . . . but who was the last player they moved up for?????

I agree that there should be a spread of defensive picks this offseason for Ne. They can't be satisifed with their defense last year.

And I wouldn't rule out a CB in the first . . . Ne is really under-invested in the backfield, and it shows. Aside form Meriweather they lack a play-maker in the back four.

Although adding someone like Maualuga would free Mayo to really run loose and make plays himself.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Draft

I think Maybin is an exciting player but his weight is an issue at 236 lbs he is going to have to gain weight to play stand up OLB or DE

one thing i think could increase his stock is his ability to play a OLB/DE/SS role similar to AD's role with the Ravens two years back

if he can stop the run, drop back and recognize coverages he could be the replacement for a Tank WIlliams like project and it would allow the patriots to play a 3-5 like defense on first and second down

this would be extremely exciting for our defense because it would allow us to Blitz more with our LBs and ends... it would also provide similar trickery that the Ravens simulate... and that same trickery often develops into turnovers and INTs for Reed in our case Meriwheather

i really think we need to get more exotic with our defense, to prevail against the pass and create turnovers which will all ultimatley create a fear that will resinate with our competition

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Where did you read he was 236? He is 250 lbs.

That is right were is should be. 3-4. 240-270 rare exceptions on either end.

So 250-60 is the sweet spot.

250 is very light for a full time DE, which rarely goes as low as 260, although Jason Taylor played hybrid for years at something ike 240.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Draft

i read on Scout.com that he is 236... 250 could easily be his weight at the combine or his weight from pre season, but 236 may in fact be his playing weight...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Draft

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/1/16/726131/olb-aaron-maybin-penn-stat

this is another link that list him at 236!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Draft

i once arrived at a camp at 215 after 20 double and some triples i was 298... and the coaches fead us five times a day, mostly eggs, meat and garbage you cannot eat otherwize

there is now way you cannot lose 15 lbs with a college program unless you have a secret

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Draft

sorry i meant 198

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Draft

5. Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
    6'4", 236 pounds... 12 sacks as SO
    - "Project Mayhem" is only this low because he's raw and lacks experience. He's also an outstanding athlete with burst, but he's got some growing up to do. Given time, a good situation and some solid coaching, he'll be the best end to emerge from this draft class.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/ncaaf/players/l.ncaa.org.mfoot-p.62202

heres another one

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Scout.com tracks their weight out of highschool.

He weighs in at like 245 for games, and probably wants it to hit 250 before the draft. 236 is probably a listed weight from some time ago.

Sections
Shortcuts