Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I just know what I read. Here is rotoworld and Miguel'ssalary cap page for Seymour and NE.

Seymour is due to havean $11.34 million salary cap charge. The "top" dollar defensive ends get about two to three million less than that. Wilfork carries about a $2 million dollar cap figure. I suppose he will be looking for a contract that tops Kris Jenkins' deal which was about $6.5 million, so seven?

So given that neither player is going to count max agianstthe cap in their first season, you could easily extend both and use the savings against the cap on Sey to offset the losses against the cap on Fork with about one million in between.

Here are the links.

I am less optimistic about Mankins. He makes peanuts and as a pro-bowl offensive lineman any extension near market value would dramatically mess with the salary structure on the offensive line. Could you see BB/Pioli spending ~$9million a season on Mankins?

I think it is more likely that they target guards in the draft and add a free agent or two bolster the defense.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=1134

http://www.patscap.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsNut79. Show BostonSportsNut79's posts

Draft

Hannah, why do you think the Pats will draft another quarterback if they trade Cassel? They drafted O'Connell last year in the 3rd round. I could see them grabbing a veteran quarterback for one year behind Brady while O'Connell still learns the system. However I don't think they will spend another high pick on a quarterback when they did last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

Z,

You think they will re-sign Seymour this offseason to reduce his cap hit? I would favor that but hope he won't be playing on a bum knee the rest of his career. Didn't seem to stop him this year until the end of the season. If we locked up Seymour, Wilfork and Green on top of Warren, our D would be set for the rest of Brady's career. All we'd need are some good OLBs to replace Vrabel and Thomas. I think OLBs are the key to our defense, much more important than the secondary. With such a dominant D-Line, there's no way opposing O-Lines can handle the big three plus two elite OLBs like Vrabel and Colvin. Suggs would come in handy here ... anyone know any draft prospects who would make good OLBs in our system?

I say we extend Mankins. Light is already making a lot, and Koppen isn't doing too bad either. Don't know about Neal and Kaczur and O'Callaghan are still getting their initial draft based salaries. No reason not to extend a guy like Mankins and draft a guard to replace Neal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

brian cushing olb usc

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from codered43092. Show codered43092's posts

Draft

get Hakeem Nicks with a 2nd, and then Jasper Brinkly with a 3rd

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

What up Randy,

IMHO, Cushing is a dud. I have watched him play and he is routinely that last guy in the pile. He isn't the dynamic player some people think he is, and would be a poorly suited OLB. Of course, that is my evaluation.

What up Mighty,

Aren't we back where we were last year, when it comes to rushing OLB's in the draft? Which defensive ends look like they could transition. Me and a bunch of other people predicted the spectacular failure of Gholston.

After the top few guys are gone I see George Selvie, pass rusher extraordinare. He is from USF so we know BB will at least work him out, and has the build and stats that "look" like a guy who could transition. He is really fast and has a ton of moves.

That is partially why I hope they can lock on with a player like Suggs, even though he may be too rich for the kind of cash NE has. He answers so many questions. He could truly be a transformative player for this defense.

The reason not to extend Mankins is that he will cost almost as much as Koppen and Light put together. If I am Mankins' agent I would look for a contract a little higher than what a 32 yr old Alan Faneca just got a $40million over five seasons. So something like $45 million over five? Sound right?

He could give a home town discount, but if he doesn't, do you seriously see NE paying one of five lineman almost as much as they pay Brady, Moss or Seymour?

Plus the draft has a ton of great talent on OL. I think Duke Robinson will be available where we pick, and he could be much better than Mankins or Neal ever were. He is much larger but just as athletic.

OL, especially guard, is a lot easier to fill than 3-4 END or NT, yet they cost more. Add to that the NE history of letting high priced lineman walk and it makes me doubtful. The chances of finding anything close to Sey on the FA market or around #24 in the draft is non-existant. The chances of picking a player or two of Mankins' potential are actually quite good over a two year span.

IMO, a good option would be to let him play out 2009, use the money elsewhere, and just franchise him in 2010 to give them a couple seasons while they develop younger guys.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

idk about cushing as well i though i saw him around the ball alot but hey.... mark herzlich seems to be a beastt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Yeah Cushing is around the ball a lot. But he is never making TFLs or big plays. NE has tons of players who are "around the ball" but who does something about when they get there?

Maybe I'm wrong,but he looks slow for such a young guy.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

[Quote]

I've narrowed our 1st pick down to several possibilities, NE usually takes the best player available over needs.

[/Quote]

Based on what? Every year people say this, and aside from taking back to back TEs high, every year they draft to need, and most years get accused of reaching.

Look at it this way? What will they need in 2010? That is usually how they pick. Maroney, Merriweather, Mankins, Warren, etc.

They took Warren over Polomalu who was a waay higher rated pick, and everyone bliotched that they "reached" at Warren because they needed a young DE.

BB addressed this in an interview and basically said BPA doesn't exist because at the end of the day you need to have a roster spot for whoever you pick.

Also, Mays will be off the board.
    Your list has some good names, although I would be shocked if they took a RB first, and BJ Raji won't be here because they wil resign Wilfork.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Draft

After the disaster that was taking Maroney with their 1st round pick in 2006, I doubt the Pats ever draft a RB that high, at least while Belichick is in charge. Especially after the sucess they had with B. Jarvis-Green Ellis this year. If they expect Mankins to leave after 2009, they need to look towards his replacement, so Duke Robinson makes sense. Not a sexy pick, but then again neither was Mankins.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Duke Robinson would be a monster pick.

If he wasthe first pick at #24 it could look like this:

#24 -- Duke Robinson
    #48 -- George Selvie
    #56 -- Pat Chung
    #88 -- Javon Ringer

Something like that would be great, although I don't know if you could count on Ringer sitting at 88.

If we get a first rounder from someone like Minny we could use one of them to get a player like Brandon Spikes and then use the Selvie pick to grab someone like D.J. Moore if available.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Draft

Clay Matthews Jr. Good bloodlines, very hard worker, great on special teams (3 time USC Special Teamer of the year). Probably be around in 3rd round because his combine won't be eyecatching.

Lots of players going tonight. Can't wait to see the next Reche Caldwell or Chad Jackson running around the field for Gators.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

I really like watching Brandon Spikes and the high-intensity he plays with on defense. He plays aggressive and is always around the ball on that fast UF defense. If the Gators win tonight I'd imagine that he declares himself for the draft!

He may not be there at #24, but there is always a possibility of moving up a few spots to grab a player like this.

Thoughts?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

idk i believe guyton is fine can some one tell me what u guys dont see in guyton listen he packs on some wieght .. this offseason he will be a beast .. he is so fast he can play safety point is he had 30 sumthin tackles this year and he only played 30 percent of the snaps so he was on pace to get like 90 tackels if he played 90 percent of the snaps he is great in coverage as well. so figure it this way if he played as much as mayo he was on pace for 105 tackles not bad at all

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Guyton is good, but isn't a good fit for what we need our other linebacker to do. NE needs a stout stack and shed type ILB. I am not even sure Brandon Spikes fits that bill,but man is he good.

I think a young Seau would fit the bill . . . . somone who can toss a gaurd and amke a ply on a RB. Guyton is much more of an open field tackler who is good at wading through garbage.

But yeah, Guyton flies around out there. He can be fun to watch.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Yeah, Gresham loks nasty. Outside the penalties so doesn't Robinson.

Spikes looks good too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Wow. This is exactly what I expected. A defensive slug fest.

I really hope Florida wins this one. I just don't want to hear all the whining about split championships if Oklahoma ekes this thing out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

man this draft is stacked alot of high pics in this game gresham i want that guy so bad does anyteam have 2 first round in the draft this year . besides that guyton i want him to start next year hes got talent thats why i said let him bulk up he will be good i remeber seeing him almost chase down yamon figurs in preseason. How do u guys feel about vince redd he is a monster who seems like he could have some bit hit potenial.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

This has been a great game, but I'm a little shocked that UF's offense isn't moving the ball down the field like they have all year.

I saw BB and Kraft as well and BB actually smiled for a change, was that his girlfriend?

Gresham is a game changer and he will continue to do damage in this game.

Spikes has been playing great and ZB you may be right on him not fitting our style D, but he clearly has a nose for the ball regardless.

ZB what are your thoughts on Everette Brown DE/OLB from FSU?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

i like everette brown hes def up in top 5 pass rushers in this draft

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

Yea they could be the future mayo is allready a stud .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Draft

We need a strong safety either through trade or draft, not another free safety but a 6"1-2 inch 220 pound variety ala Rodney Harrison... until that player is acquired tight ends will eat our lunch every Sunday.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Yeah Gresham manned up.

My point isn't that Spikes doesn't fit, it is just that he looks a lot like Mayo.

Doesn't BB always keep a light and a heavy inside?

Bruschi/Seau
    Bruschi/Johnson

There is alwaysa hefty 250+ guy who can toss a fullback and make a play, and then a quicker guy (Mayo) who runs around and makes plays.

Shoot, I could be wrong, I would love to see Spikes here, I just don't think this team would want to carry two 245 pound ILBs.