Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiminycricket. Show jiminycricket's posts

Draft

surprised nobody mentioned Percey Harvin and Jeremy Maclin.

these guys are both the short, speedsters ala lee evans, deion branch, devin hester, steve smith, ted ginn, steve slaton, santana moss, brian westbrook and reggie bush.

with kevin faulk still awesome, but we can't count on him forever.

1st round -- Percy Harvin or Jermaine Gresham
    2nd round -- offensive tackle
    3rd round -- offensive tackle or guard

All other picks - defense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Draft

The safety from Okl Nic Harris has cleat marks all over him from Tebow steamrolling him.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Draft

One guy the Pats could look at for TE is James Casey from Rice. I saw him play in person several times the past couple years. Former baseball player, I think he's 24 and probably goes about 6'3" and 250. Great hands and tremendous productivity in college (111 catches this past season). If it's a deep draft at TE...and I think it is...they could likely get this guy is the 3rd round or thereabouts. Unless Gresham falls into their lap I'd use the higher picks on defense and more defense...or possibly the OL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

We are seeing alot of juniors declare which could mean some quality players will fall. I don't think some will fall enough for the Pats to draft them (Malauaga, Mays, or Curry)but there will be quality present when the Pats are on the clock. I like Gresham, but it is difficult for me to see the Pats drafting a TE with there 1st round pick. I can't see them getting a RB either; when healthy Faulk, Ellis, Jordan and Morris (and even Maroney) make a decent rotation. And RBs are a dime a dozen, they could draft one in the 3rd that could be Faulk's eventual replacement. The only way the Pats draft offensive players is for the O LIne or TE with their first 4 picks. Of the 11 picks the Pats have (I think ?) 6 or seven could be defensive players. Addressing OLB, ILB, SS and even CB could be the mindset. ZB mentioned drafting an undersized DE (for the 3-4) and converting him to OLB and I think that could happen. I like LOadholt on O Line, but there is depth there in the draft so it could be a 2nd or 3rd round pick for the O Line. I also have this feeling that the Pats will draft a a WR. Moss has a two-year deal and they could always improve on GAFFNEY as the 3rd wr.(PS there is depth there too).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I Always thought that straight up trade of a franchised Cassel for a franchised Dansby would be interesting. Double sign and trade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

ZB, Isn't Dansby a 4-3 backer ? Not saying he would be a bad acquisition, just pointing it out. Suggs and Ashmougha would still be the big defensive acquisitions ($$$$), but I still like Dawan Landry for less $$$ for the SS spot. Wasn't Dansby franchised last year ? DO the Cards keep Warner ? Are there any OLineman the Pats could acquire in free agency ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

[Quote]Mayo is 6'1, and Spikes is 6'3. Players usually get bigger their first couple of years in the NFL. He should be around 250+ by the time he plays his 1st NFL game, he's definitely bigger than Mayo. In a perfect world we trade up for Aaron Curry or Rey Maualuga, but Spikes isn't a bad option either, he plays with a lot of heart and emotion and some compare him to Ray Lewis.[/Quote]

Great analysis. I agree. It is so easy to be sold on a player like Spikes. He is fast and makes plays, and looks like he could bulk up a bit and stay dynamic.

Evne though I would rather NE go after an OLB, I wouldn't feel bad about using one of our high selections on a kid like Spikes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Yes, he is. But he is a gargantuan 4-3 LBer who is used a lot like a 3-4 OLB. They blitz him, they drop him back.

He averages about 100 tackels, 5 sacks, 5Pdef and 2 INTs a season. He is 6'4" 250 (most 4-3 backers are shorter and 15-20 pounds lighter).

He could play here in a second.

I expect his contract value to be set by whatever Suggs gets if neither are franchised. Although I have read scouting reports that say he is better, I doubt it.

I don't know if the Cards keep Warner, but if they don't they automatically become suitors for Cassel, IMO.

I would forget about Asomugha. Unless he is willing to take much less than he could get on the open market AND Oak doesn't franchise him again, I don't see him coming here. I love his game, but $10-11 million for any CB is asking a lot. I would rather get a player that had a down season or two, or just draft one than pay that much.

If he were a FA I would imagine NE would offer him something like the $7-ish they were offering Asante as a take it or leave it offer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

What are your thoughts on Dawan Landry, ZB ? The asking price won't be as much as Suggs, Dansby or Ashmougha ? But, if healthy, he could still make an impact and is very young (eg: not a player that would get the franchise tag as opposed to the other three mentioned). If Landry can stay healthy he would be a great fixture in the Pats secondary IMO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I don't know.

He is also kind of young to have had a spinal cord concussion. If Baltimore doesn't hold on to him, maybe we can try him out.

Playing for Rex Ryan means he has experience as SS in 3-4, 4-3 and 42 defensive fronts, which means he has been all over the field.

I would also worry because both of his replacements (Zbikowski and Leanhard) looked as good or better than he had for a year and a half.

And the last thing I read he was still having lingering effects from that hit.

If Sanders gets a better offer somewhere else -- which I wager he will-- a player like Landry could be a name in the hat.

There are some really good safeties in the draft this season, like the obivous Mays. Personally, I really hope NE takes a crack at Patrick Chung. He is a better football player than most in the top two rounds and I think he would be a monster here at SS/FS hybrid alongside Merriweather.

Personally, I love drafting safeties because they are the absolute highest percentage selections a team can make. This kid Chung is better than William Moore, and every bit as good as Mays. He just played on a team with half as much talent as Mays.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

Agreed on Chung. Where do you see him coming off the board? Also who do you like at OLB in this draft?

Do you think a guy like Michael Johnson GT could transition to OLB or maybe a guy like George Selvie from USF. IMO Johnson probally won't be there at #24, but depending on what happens with Cassel and the draft pick(s) the Pats may get, it could be possible for them to trade up and grab a guylike this. THoughts?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Wouldn't you consider Chung late first early third at worst. I guess that means he is a solid second round prospect. Partially because of his height 5'11" 3/4 215, which is a touch shy for a typical hard hitting safety, and partly because he played for the Ducks.

But I can't think of another safety with his nose for the ball or his pound for pound hitting power, and that includes Mays.

Johnson has that long Jason Taylor-esque frame that Pioli and BB drafted for last season with Crable and Redd. But he looks like a clone of them. There is really nothing eye-popping about his abilities, so I would think they would just continue to develop Crable if that was the kind of player they wanted. I think he will be there if they want him, but I certainly don't think he is the kind of kid you move up to get if he isn't.

Other names are Greg Hardy and Orakpo. I don't see a ton of talent in there this season. None ofthem had those crazy dominant careers in college or have those rare physical attributes that say sure thing.

George Selvie is going to back to school to work on getting heavier and stronger, because he is a little too light to be a 3-4 OLD even at 240. He would have had an automatic workout with NE jsut because he goes to SFU where BB tends to visit.

How about Jerry Hughes. He went to TCU and led the nation in sacks.

Frankly I see the talent in this draft and while there are a few DE/OLB prospects peolpe talk about, none of them look really special to me. It is just like last season that way.

Other people might argue otherwise, but that is how I see it. There really are no Merriman or Ware type players in there, IMO. And that is the only kind of player that would warrant moving Vrabel or Thomas inside or splitting reps.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

These are my picks for the Pats and just a guess at who the Pats may draft. Alot can happen from now till the Combine and also what players declare themselves for the draft, but this is my Guess Mock Draft!

#24- Brandon Spikes ILB UF or Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma

#47- Victor"Macho"Harris CB VT or Patrick Chung Safety Oreagon or Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma
    (I could also see Victor Harris going at #24)

#59- Javon Ringer RB MSU or Shonn Greene RB Iowa( maybe WR that fell or TE)

#90- Kyle Moore DE USC or Roy Miller DT Texas

Thoughts likes/dislikes?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtg5017. Show gtg5017's posts

Draft

What are ur thoughts on Aaron Maybin, DE from Penn State. Kiper has him rated as a 97 but I think that's way too high considering he's just a speed rusher. I could see him slipping because he's soooo lean (only 2% body fat, JoePa keeps complaining he won't put on wait), and can only play DE in a 4-3. Would you see BB converting him to an OLB? Because he is a TREMENDOUS sack artist. Just wanted to throw out an unconventional pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtg5017. Show gtg5017's posts

Draft

Also, he's only a redshirt sophomore, so he might stay in school.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiminycricket. Show jiminycricket's posts

Draft

speaking about maybin reminds me of another big 10 lb/de from last year

Lamarr Woodley -- i wanted this guy on the pats

he would look good alongside Jerod Mayo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Draft

If we get the right interest and make the right trade with Cassel, this draft can set us up for the next 5+ years

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

1: Clint Sintim/Brandon Spikes LB: BB continues to overhaul the LB corps.

2: Patrick Chung/Nic Harris SS: A big hitter for the secondary. Mays and Moore will be gone by pick #22 in the 1st.

2 B: Kraig Urbik OG: Has played both OT and OG and BB likes a little versatility. is 6'5 325.

thoughts ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

no no no we dont need spikes are lbs are fine now we have all the youth we need mayb take a sleeper if hes there but we need cbs and ss i like chung and harris.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Randy,

I would argue that NE needs back seven players in general.

That includes ILB, CB, and S . . .and OLB to offset Vrabel's age and bring in pure rushing ability.

So from where I sit if Spikes is a better prospect than any of the remaining CBs then you take him.

gtg5017,

Maybin won't come out. I would be shocked. Biut if he were available when they were called he would have to be in the mix.

TO JDC and Hannah,

Great stuff. I like em both.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I wonder what the possibilities that Everett Brown will be available. He is ranked so high on so many lists.

The kid is a natural athlete who could make the transition to OLB here. I think he would flourish beside Seymour or Warren, and would add all kinds of speed outside that we don't currently have.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft

Guys, One CB that has fallen under the radar is Dominique Johnson.

He is 6-2, 190lbs, and runs a 4.32. Fell under the radar since he transferred from Missouri to Jackson State

Had 5 picks before transferring

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

Titletown,

I was just reading about him and I agree he could be on the Pats radar. I wonder if they'd move him to FS or Safety.

Hannah I like your picks and think it would be a successful draft if the Pats could draft these players.

ZB I watched a few FSU games this year and Brown and I came away very impressed. This draft looks like it's going to be loaded and deep, so if Brown doesn't fall it means some other great players will.
    What are your thoughts on Maualuga? Would he be one of those players you trade up for?

One guy I did like from USC was Clay Matthews DE/OLB. My guess is that he'll probally go somewhere between round 2 or 3. If we don't go LB in round 1, would you have intrest in a guy like him?