Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

Fresh Kick, A whole lot of great underclassmen would have to declare for the Pats to have a shot at Maualuga (sp) with where their pick where it is right now. And I can't see the PATS Brass trading up to get him. I only saw enough Pac 10 games to know that Maualuga and Mays are good players. I know its a great program (see Cassel LOL) and USC could see as many as 6 players off the board by round 4 (Cushing, Sanchez, Ellison, & the DT guy Moala or whatever).

Another thing I want to add is that the Lions should draft Andre Smith and sign UFA Kurt Warner....It's always wise to build from the line out. Maybe they take another WR with the Dallas pick, but they should get the BAP or the best OG. Just my thoughts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

Hannah, I understand Maualuga will probally go in the top 15, but I was just thinking if he was there at #13 Redskins pick or #14 Saints pick would you think about trading up for one of the best LB's(IMHO) in this draft. Just curious what you guys think!

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats draft a WR with their #46(Pats moved up one spot because who ever advances from NFC both have 9 wins). IMHO this WR class seems really deep. Guys like Derrick Williams, Darius Heyward-Bey and maybe even Hakeem Nicks could be around. Depending what happnes in FA of course this could change.
    THOUGHTS?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

Alot of mock drafts have Spikes rated pretty high if he declares; I don't want to be Captain BuZZkiller, but there is a slight possibility he's gone by #22.

"The Patriots will draft some offensive linemen no one has heard of and he'll be a starting guard on a team that plays in the Super Bowl"--

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

i like dom. johnson looks like a cromartie type playr

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

I do think a WR is possible, but not in the 1st or 2nd rounds or maybe even 3rd unless we take him with the Asante comp. pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

I believe the prototype for CB has changed a little; the CBs are becoming as big and fast as some of the receivers; this has to happen for teams to have any chance at stopping an effective passing attack.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

yea very true john i was looking at rosters i saw a 6'4 corner on the raiders who rand a 4.32 . Jaison williams wouldnt look bad as a pat as well wr out of oregan. jan 24th senior bowl will be pretty god showcase of talent

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I don't think height is a prerequisite, but it would certainly help to have one tall CB.

All things being equal you take the taller player, but all things are seldom equal and I would take a more physical corner who is 5'11" than a soft player who is 6'2" as I think NE's major problem is that none of their corners can Jam.

Quickness and recovery speed and intelligence are great, but they don't mean a thing if the CB is soft.

Also, Jammer is good, Cromartie had one good year, and is a fundamental mess who is frequently out of position, but is still young enough to coach up. And SD has zeros int he safety department, so I wouldn't hang it all on their CBs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

Is there a Ty Law type in this draft? He seemed like a near ideal mix of physical, speedy, and smart. He was good against the run, yes?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from letohb31. Show letohb31's posts

Draft

[Quote]Is there a Ty Law type in this draft? He seemed like a near ideal mix of physical, speedy, and smart. He was good against the run, yes?[/Quote]

The best corner I've seen this year is Malcolm Jenkins from Ohio State. Seems to have great overall awareness, speed, quickness, and best of all, he can tackle. Check out his career highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s82SCXjRgoY

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from letohb31. Show letohb31's posts

Draft

But either way, I don't think drafting another young CB is the best idea for the Pats. They just drafted two last year. They need an established shutdown corner from free agency. You can't deny a great veteran (not old, but established) DB's effect on young ones.

For example:
    Ty Law - Asante Samuel
    Rodney Harrison - Meriweather, Eugene Wilson (for a time, then he sorta dropped off)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

[Quote]I don't think height is a prerequisite, but it would certainly help to have one tall CB.

All things being equal you take the taller player, but all things are seldom equal and I would take a more physical corner who is 5'11" than a soft player who is 6'2" as I think NE's major problem is that none of their corners can Jam.

Quickness and recovery speed and intelligence are great, but they don't mean a thing if the CB is soft.

Also, Jammer is good, Cromartie had one good year, and is a fundamental mess who is frequently out of position, but is still young enough to coach up. And SD has zeros int he safety department, so I wouldn't hang it all on their CBs.[/Quote]

What I like about Jammer is that he is a solid tackler. Also CBs that have good recovery speed and can make great reads on the QB/Ball are also valuable traits for a DB. Speed and height matter, but they don't matter much if the player is out of position to make a play on the ball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

Bring Me asomouga !!!!! if we get him that would be real nice best corner in the leaguuueeeeeee

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

Ashmougha will want 10-12m per. He's better than Asante. Unless Al Davis suffers a heatstroke/braincramp and trades Ashmougha to the Pats, I can't see this happening.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft

Right now i like the idea of Spikes @ #23...everyone who thinks we're fine at LB is insane...we had to call two guys off the street to finish the season. Bruschi is old, Seau almost definitely is done, Guyton has potential but is unproven and didn't even last the season....if Spikes is available I'd grab him...unless of course there are plans to address ILB in FA.

Otherwise...Gresham is an absolute stud...though I don't know if we'll have a chance to grab him unless we use 23 on him or of course we get an extra 1st round pick from a Cassel trade. I personally think Ben Watson has hands of stone...though he is athletic and can block...so if there is a bigger need to fill at 23 even if Gresham is there I would say fill the need.

I think Shonn Green's running style fits the personality of a NE running back...but again I'm not sure we need to pick an RB as high as he will go.

I'm not the biggest college football fan so i don't know all the prospects, but Herzlich from BC might be a good fit at ILB no? What round is he currently projected to go in?

Personally I love Harvin, but I doubt we'll take him.

Oh and we definitely won't be signing Asomugha...did you notice how we consistently had success throwing at him vs. Oakland? I think that was partially to check him out and probably partially because Moss knew he couldn't cover him.

Keep this thread strong! Last year's draft thread was the best thread ever. Go Pats!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

I heard Spikes will declare because his brother is serving a life sentence. Not sure what to make of that. Maybe attorney fees or something for an appeal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Ush, Spikes is BIGTIME and I would love to get him. But I see so many scenarios where ILB is "fixed" via FA, so I am not holding out much hope.

1.) Payfor Suggs andmove Vrabel inside like in 2004-5. He did great there then and is one of the few LBers on the dquad that can actually stack and shed.

2.) Get someone like Dansby and move Vrabel in or Keep Dansby in.

3.) Get Bart Scott outright.

4.) Some LB is returned in a trade for Cassel like the trade Reiss proposed that would have Chad Greenway and lower picks comig from Minny in return for Cassel.

Gresham is all that is man. He would add a new diimension to this offense. I can't help but feel that in the absence of a pressing need at LB NE would go with OL in that area. But Gresham would be a great selection.

I don't think Asomugha's performance against Moss rules him out. I think his salary bracket does though. Not many players can shut down Moss one-on-one. In fact, I can't think of any in the NFL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Yes,

Taylor Mays will not be declaring this draft. That certainly doesn't rock the draft, but it shakes it up a bit.

I like Oher, but everytime a name like that comes up I stop and think about how the Pats have never maintained a 330 lb starter. I don't think it rules him out, but I think it points to a profile (smart, quick) that they look for in an OL.

I see Oher as a RT prospect at the next level anyhow because of his lack of agility, and I think that is part of the reason he might be dropping.

In ways this profile is actually a good thing, because it allows the Pats to target players that are lower on the list for a lot of other teams.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

The secondary doesn't matter. Let's get reinforcements who can help control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. We're pretty good in that department anyway, we just need to add to depth

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaack. Show jaack's posts

Draft

trade cassel to KC for first round draft and pick up def lineman.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

The seconday most certainly does matter. It is the defining difference between the Pats of 2005-7 and the pats of 2003-4.

This team has trouble getting off the field. It is because they have trouble controlling the middle of the field.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

are weakness is secindary and u noe it

Sections
Shortcuts