Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

are weakness is secindary and u noe it

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

wr playing Linebacker never seen it never will lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

[Quote]Ush, Spikes is BIGTIME and I would love to get him. But I see so many scenarios where ILB is "fixed" via FA, so I am not holding out much hope.

1.) Payfor Suggs andmove Vrabel inside like in 2004-5. He did great there then and is one of the few LBers on the dquad that can actually stack and shed.

2.) Get someone like Dansby and move Vrabel in or Keep Dansby in.

3.) Get Bart Scott outright.

4.) Some LB is returned in a trade for Cassel like the trade Reiss proposed that would have Chad Greenway and lower picks comig from Minny in return for Cassel.

Gresham is all that is man. He would add a new diimension to this offense. I can't help but feel that in the absence of a pressing need at LB NE would go with OL in that area. But Gresham would be a great selection.

I don't think Asomugha's performance against Moss rules him out. I think his salary bracket does though. Not many players can shut down Moss one-on-one. In fact, I can't think of any in the NFL.[/Quote]

Agree on Ashmougha ZB and I might say the same about Suggs if the Ravens don't re-up. We can all debate who will be franchised (Suggs. Ashmougha and maybe Dansby) and who won't. Regarding any FAs it's always a good idea to look at the cap situation of their present teams. One of the reasons I mentioned Baltimore in an early draft thread was because of their cap situation and the FAs they had entering the market. Can they sign them all (Lewis, Scott, Landry and ofcourse Suggs) ? Gresham would be a decent selection, I just don't see TE as being as big a priority right now as SS, OL or OLB. Mays would have been a top 15 (10?)so that does alter things a little.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

Um, the secondary most certainly does not matter. Hobbs and Samuel were just fine in 2005-07. You're saying Samuel (before he was good) and Gay were better? Granted, Eugene Wilson played pretty well in 2004. Anywho, our secondary is fine. Let's get better up front.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

I say fix the DBs. The defensive backfield hasn't been the same since Law left. It showed some promise of being fixed but Samuel left and Harrison's age is starting catch up with him (injuries).

I don't know what happened to the pass rush. It wasn't there for some reason. Who gets the blame in the front seven? The Pats have a lot of money tied up with these guys. What gives?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

Z,

So what you're saying is that Rodney Harrison by himself in 2004 made the secondary better than Samuel and Hobbs when they were at their best in 2006, or Samuel, Hobbs and Harrison in 2007? I don't think so.

We've already addressed the secondary in the past two drafts with Merriweather, Wheatley and Wilhite. Hobbs is good and we've been developing Sanders for our system. Those 5 guys are a fine secondary.

We need to groom talent around the big 3. I don't know what Green's problem was this year but he excelled in the final games of the season. We can't toss him aside because of one bad year. Vrabel, Colvin, and AD are approaching the end of their careers so we should try to find replacements for them. Maybe there's no one who can fill in (Suggs doesn't count cause he comes from the dirty criminal Ravens). In that case, we just add depth all around the team, though guard is looking like the area of quickest need once Mankins and Neal leave after this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

ur a joke wilhite sucks and wheatly is just another hobbs seriously wee neeed a shutdown corner get serious guy

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

Yes, Wheatley is another Hobbs, because in case you haven't noticed, that's the kind of corner BB likes. I know all you guys want some seven foot tall, 250 pound corner who will squash wide receivers at the line of scrimmage, but BB actually knows what he's doing.

All the LBs we took this year with the exception of Redd cannot play 3-4 OLB. Maybe Thomas, Vrabel and Colvin (I'm not giving up on him) will be fine for years, but they will be 32, 34, and 32 this season, whereas our CBs are in their mid-early 20s. So if you're looking for an area to get younger and add depth for the future, it's OLB.

And Hobbs is a #1. He was ahead of Samuel in 2006 until Samuel transformed into left-side extroardinaire.

I saw what Ed Reed did against the Titans on Saturday. He tried to paralyze Chris Johnson after the play was dead. That is unlike anything I've seen. I'm not talking cheapshots and late hits here. I'm talking criminal assault. Suggs is his teammate and has to share responsibility for that. He's not welcome here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

Z,

You're the best capologist here. We have about $20M in space but also are losing 20 players. So if we only have $20M to fill 20 spots, doesn't that severely limit us?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

malcom jenkins would be nice but hes goin really early

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

crable can play 3 4 and so can all of are lbs u think every lb we draft plays 3 4 no but they adapt as did mayo ...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

im not impressed with james sandfers at all and really think we could get a better safety a hard hitter and put merrriweather back at fs were he belongs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

The problem with the secondary (even though our run D may have been worse) is that young players had step in and play well (Meriweather, Wheatley, Wilhite). Difficult task when you're a rookie. If you look at the Pats history with DBs (Wilson, Asante, Law, Gay) they tend to be better their 2nd or 3rd seasons rather than their first. So, while the expectations are high, you do have to exhibit some patience regarding the secondary. It's an issue, but it can be partly solved by giving more playing time to the young players for them to learn. I do agree that SS is an issue because Rodney is older, and I also agree that this could be addressed during the 09 draft.

The issue I have is that the Pats defense is not the top 6 or seven defense it was a season or two ago. I see the Ravens and Steelers front seven (3-4) as currently being better than our front seven. I believe that this is a problem that will be solved both by FA and the draft.

Also believe are young players will get better whether that means putting them in nickel or dime packages or whatever. BTW injuries go a long way towards limiting a player's development (Crable, Wheatley) and it's not fair to assess a player's value after he has spent time on the PUP list. These players, unencumbered by injuries, will perfrom better in their 2nd or 3rd seasons so it's difficult for me to write them off after their rookie years, especially, when recent Pats history would indicate they will get better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

true about wheatly and crable but gay sucked he didnt progress law was a first round pick and wilson was average as well and well asante was rare but was good u cant rely on the past especiall when wilson was ok gay sucked and law was a first rounder with talent

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

I never said Redd couldn't play 3-4 OLB. I said he was the only one we drafted last year who can. Crable is more of 4-3 LB pass-rush/coverage LB. Unless he bulks up substantially, he cannot set the edge in the running game, which is the first requirement for a 3-4OLB.

I never said we drafted any busts ot OLB.

You want a press corner, but we've done just fine without one for 4 years. Plus, unless you're really good at it, like Winfield, it's a risky tactic to play, as it's easier to get beat deep.
    Basically, I don't know why you guys are advocating that we change our entire philosophy at CB when we just spent two draft picks getting guys who fit our current philosophy. What is the point in wasting high picks on corners year after year? I think BB knew what he was doing when he took Wheatley and Wilhite and will move on to other areas with the day one picks. Maybe there are no guys who can play 3-4 OLB who can be taken on day one, but I strongly doubt he takes another corner or tries to get a new safety to learn a system that Sanders has mastered.
    On the other hand, we've got a lot of picks and no glaring needs, so I wouldn't be surprised by any position drafted. I expect him to spread the wealth around.

Oh, and you think after we bring back the important guys, like Paxton, Gaffney, Izzo, Hanson, Evans, and Hochstein, we'll have $15M in space? That would be sweet. Let's use some of it to re-sign Seymour and Wilfork and hopefully Mankins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

[Quote]true about wheatly and crable but gay sucked he didnt progress law was a first round pick and wilson was average as well and well asante was rare but was good u cant rely on the past especiall when wilson was ok gay sucked and law was a first rounder with talent[/Quote]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

crable is strong and at agood size for a rushing olb his legs are a little small and could get bigger but hey will will see with that situation . wheatly is a liability he seems really fragile so we still need adress the cb wilhite wasnt a high pick he went 4th round . why do u hate the fack of a bigger corner we need a shutdown guy end it at that even vontae davis would be good

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

Z,

Wheatley and Wilhite fit the same profile as Hobbs and Samuel: quick, agile, and excelent at stripping the ball. BB/SP have publicly said many times this is what they are looking for in a CB.

Why do you keep implying I said something about BB's ability to draft an OLB? All I said was he didn't pick any last year, other than Redd. Crable is not a 1st down OLB in our system. He does not have the build to set the edge. You are simply wrong on this point.
    The past three seasons we've been #2, #4 and #8 in points allowed. Maybe we've had problems in this area or that area, but overall we've maintained a consistently strong D. There are no glaring needs. We just need to continue to build up depth.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

Z good work exactly what i said up there but in more depth proving that guy up there that he is clearly wrong and talking out his A$$

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft

Yeah guys, don't go calling Crable a bust. Kid looked like a beast in the pre-season, shame he got injured, really wanted to see him, and the Pats could have needed him.

I don't think we should take a LB in the 1st round, instead, wait till the 2nd Day and take anybody who slipped out of the first few rounds, always a few of those. I feel we have some solid young LB's, but we need to get rid of Alexander, Izzo, and those guys.

Some LB's we can get later include Zach Forsett and Jasper Brickley, Brickly was a 1st round prospect until he blew out his knee, a nice risk in the 5th-6th round.

I like Gresham with our pick in Round 1, and the selecting Vontae Davis with the other pick (Minny, Detroit)

I think Patrick Chung and an OT would be good in rd 2

On day 2, Select Zach Forsett and a OG in rd 3, Pat White in Rd 4, Brinkley in Rd 5, and go Best Available 6-7, prefer RB, OL, or DL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft

Also, see if we can somehow get Dominique Johnson in the draft.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

Hey, I get my information from the best sports writer who posts regular updates on this website in the column Reiss' Pieces. His name is Mike Reiss. And last time I checked, he never made up a story about the Patriots video taping other teams practicing before the Super Bowl. That alone makes him the most reliable daily columnist in all of Boston.

And if you read Reiss back in training camp (how many of your Scouts were at Pats training camp every day?), he said Crable projected as a 2nd and 3rd down pass rusher. Maybe he's not as good in pass coverage as I thought he was, but that hardly makes him a better 3-4 OLB.

Stopping the run and setting the edge is the first priority for 3-4 OLBs in our system. He might rush the passer well from the OLB position, but that doesn't make him a 3-4 OLB. He wasn't on the line in college, so how do you know from all your tape that he can set the edge?

Maybe he will turn out to be a great every down OLB for us. But his build is completely different from every other OLB we've had -Vrabel, Willie, Colvin, AD, even TBC. You say he's strong enough despite his build. We shall see. I say, BB continues to look for OLBs for the future, and his plan isn't to have Crable be his starting first down OLB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

riess isnt a scout and just because he didnt post about video taping doesnt mean he is an all out scout its just no enouf evidence till we see him next year how do you not think he is a every down backer he is big and rugged . He had a pic in preaseason and looks to be a good athlete. If anything redd needs to work on his build he will be pretty good nxt year we also have angelo craig. Darrel Robertson. they both have good builds and rush.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

ricky - take Gresham off your wish list. He's not coming out.

Sections
Shortcuts