Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

[Quote]What up Hannah,

I agree. Although I would say that Rivers looked a heck of a bunch better than Crable and Wheatley put together. Also, Wheatley's injury raises not just serious but grave concerns about his future in the NFL. They will not simply release him, but having his surgically reconstructed wrist bust open again had to send shivers down their spines as it is essentially worst case scenerio with such a promising selection.

Any kid who cna be a big time playmaker in the Big-12 conference, which is stocked with high efficieny spread offenses is worth looking at. His game was awesome, but he was viewed as a reach based on concerns about that wrist. Literally,a ton of scouts doubted that he could ever sustain an NFL career because it had become so fragile.

If I am NE I am looking for insurance via free agency or the draft now. Especially after seeing what the secondary looked like this season.

And I am glad you appreciate the fact that a ton of sacks do come from pass coverage. Simply bull rushing the QB isn't enough in an era that has seen the proliferation is ultra-quick timing passes and coach to QB coordination that allows QBs to get the play in and come to line in time to adjust.

Moreover, great coverage can turn an incomplete hurry into an intercepted hurry.

I don't expect any of those players to emerge right away. But I expect this NE team to try and add more talent at a few positions because when healthy this club is competitive with anyone, and a few more players makes them stratospheric.[/Quote]

I still think Rivers will be a good player (just not as good as Mayo). My only point was it's not fair or reasonable to evaluate a rookie while he's injured. The problem with Wheatley's injury is that it looks like it will be nagging and persistent, but the Pats trainers and med staff no more about that than I do at this time. I do believe this defense can improve. If your the 11th or 10th ranked defense in the NFL there is obviously room for improvement. I'll trust BB and Caserio to make the right moves.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Well, try paying attention during games. He was there. Almost all the time. Reading Reiss is great, but the games are there for the watching, and I already provided video evidence to that effect. So you are wrong. End of story for me.

As far as Reed. It is over. I won't discuss it because you are way too emotional. The play is simply not that cut and dried.

And furthermore, chastising people that work with Ed Reed evinces a monumental immaturity. This is someone's job you are talking about. I disagree about Ed Reed, but even if I didn't I would never expect someone to sacrifice their livliehood because they were working next to someone who commited a felony.

So that story concludes for me as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Draft question:

If the Pats secure a second first round selection from trading Cassel, and Percy Harvin is still on the board when they select, do you take Percy Harvin.

I was watching PTI (I don't know why) and WIlbon brought up a great point. Harvin is a game changing player on a team that already has offensive talent.

I could imagine the kind of force NE could have if they had Harvin coming out of the backfield and Welker and Moss.

I am not sure myself, but I wanted to see what you folks thought of Harvin as a fit here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

New Mock Draft
    Depending on what the Pats do during FA and what happens with Matt Cassel, the Mock Draft's will continue to change!

#23- Clint Sintim Virginia ILB/OLB 6-3' 254lbs or whatever CB falls to us Vontae Davis Illinois CB 6-0' 204lbs/DJ Moore Vanderbilt 5-10' 182lbs/ Steve Smith Utah CB/FS tweener 6-3' 214lbs/

*You know just as well as I know that BB could draft a sleeper that wasn't mentioned by the talking heads*

#48-Patrick Chung Oregon Safety 6-0' 200lbs or Trevor Canfield Cincinatti OG 6-5' 305 or Jasper Brinkley South Carolina ILB 6-2' 275( Brinkley may be had with their other 2nd round pick)

#59(?) Dominique Johnson Jackson State CB 6-2' 200lbs or Jared Cook South Carolina TE 6-5 242lbs or Evander Hood Missouri DT/?DE 6-4' 295

After the 2nd round its as good as anyones guess!
    I really hope the Pats sign some solid FAs and have a great draft as well.

Do any of you guys think the Redskins might realease either Jason Taylor or Marcus Washington?

THoughts?

ZB I think with a xtra 1st round pick go for it and pray he doesnt turn into Chad Jackson! Also hope he's not fragile like he seems to look at times..............

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I like Sintim a lot. I love watching Viginia play too.

But I doubt they take two DBs in the top four selections. They have a lot of needs that could be addressed.

I am thinking that if Cassel gets them a first rounder we would be looking at:

1LB
    1DB
    1OL
    1 skill position (RB, TE, WR)

That answers the age in the LB corp, or the missing starter depending on how you look at the other ILB spot. The weakness in the DB corp. the dpeth of the OL and the possiblity that one or more of the OL leaves. And adds a skill position player.

I could think of a ton of conigurations around the Vikings pick alone:

22 Russel Okung
    23 Sintim
    46 Chung
    57 Javon Ringer

I think Sintim at 23 might be a little high though. I think Okung is the athletic type of lineman they tend to look for, and it does't hurt that he hsa tons of mirror-slide experience in the spread offense.

It is a shame that Spikes is returning to Florida, well not if you like Florida, but he is a good fit in some ways.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

sintim is pretty good wouldnt mind him but def want dom johnson chung or steve smith utah . any of those would be fine

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

[Quote]Draft question:

If the Pats secure a second first round selection from trading Cassel, and Percy Harvin is still on the board when they select, do you take Percy Harvin.

I was watching PTI (I don't know why) and WIlbon brought up a great point. Harvin is a game changing player on a team that already has offensive talent.

I could imagine the kind of force NE could have if they had Harvin coming out of the backfield and Welker and Moss.

Not entirely sold on Harvin. Is he injured ? Has he declared ? He strikes me as WR/RB tweener. People are comparing him to Ted GInn or Desean JAckson. A gamechanger at the college level for a very very good team. I know he'll go higher in the draft, but Crabtree stikes me as a potentially better NFL player. Does Harvin play the slot over Welker ? Does he take Faulk's role, eventually, in the backfield ? The only thing I can see Harvin being on the Pats is the #3 receiver over Gaffney. And you don't draft #3 receivers in the first round. He could be a good player in the NFL, I just can't see the Pats drafting a WR in the first. Just my two cents...ZB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

[Quote]Well, try paying attention during games. He was there. Almost all the time. Reading Reiss is great, but the games are there for the watching, and I already provided video evidence to that effect. So you are wrong. End of story for me.

As far as Reed. It is over. I won't discuss it because you are way too emotional. The play is simply not that cut and dried.

And furthermore, chastising people that work with Ed Reed evinces a monumental immaturity. This is someone's job you are talking about. I disagree about Ed Reed, but even if I didn't I would never expect someone to sacrifice their livliehood because they were working next to someone who commited a felony.

So that story concludes for me as well.[/Quote]

Z,

Why can't you have a conversation without resorting to personal attacks? I don't pay attention? I'm too emotional? I evince monumental immaturity? I would say if you have to resort to these personal attacks, they say more about you than me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Implying that I never heard of forward progress isn't an attack? LOL. You cna quibble semantics but none of this is a personal attack.

But seriously. Listen, I just want to end this. Last year's draft thread went on for months without an arguement.

Saying you are emotional isn't an attack, it is a fact. I can't debate that. You see is as something and I can't change it.

Yes it is . . no it isn't is terrible football talk.

As far as paying attention. That isn't an attack either. You said you pay attention to Reiss implying that I should pay attention to Reiss. I said you should pay attention to games instead.

To be honest if you didn't notice that Crable got all the reps at OLB in the games, or notice him getting reps in the link then you weren't paying attention. I am sorry but you are debating a fact like it is an opinion.

I will be more than glad to keep talking draft stuff and Pats stuff with you mighty, but this particular conversation ran its course when it started.

So lets get back to some good draft talk instead of talking about this stuff!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Yeah, that is what is so intriguing about Harvin.

His build is very similar to Brian Westbrook or a large Darren Sproles, so I don't wonder about him playing RB.

I think when we operate from the spread he would do just fine as long as he could learn the blocking assingments. It doesn't take a giant to run a chip, just some technique and timing. Beleive me, I was taken out by kids half my wieght in high school because they knew what they were doing.

As far as what he would do. Well imagine Faulk having the ability to split out any time. Or imagine Welker with the speed to take the rock out of the backfield.

The kid hs tons of talent accross the board, and seems like he could be a dynamic addition to our spread formation.

At any rate, he makes more sense as an offensive addition than drafting a traditional franchise back who would need 25-30 touches to really prove his worth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft

[Quote]Yeah, that is what is so intriguing about Harvin.

His build is very similar to Brian Westbrook or a large Darren Sproles, so I don't wonder about him playing RB.

I think when we operate from the spread he would do just fine as long as he could learn the blocking assingments. It doesn't take a giant to run a chip, just some technique and timing. Beleive me, I was taken out by kids half my wieght in high school because they knew what they were doing.

As far as what he would do. Well imagine Faulk having the ability to split out any time. Or imagine Welker with the speed to take the rock out of the backfield.

The kid hs tons of talent accross the board, and seems like he could be a dynamic addition to our spread formation.

At any rate, he makes more sense as an offensive addition than drafting a traditional franchise back who would need 25-30 touches to really prove his worth.[/Quote]

Z,
    Starting to see the light now to the options Harvin would bring to our offense huh? lol. I agree that this kid is a load of talent and isn't just another Florida WR who'll bust. And your point about using him in the backfield and motioning him out wide would create headaches for opposing D's. Also, he would bring explosiveness to our return game as well as I think he's got trustworthy hands and could return both punts and kicks. I know WR/RB/KR isn't our #1 need but I think it's a no-brainer if he slips to the 2nd round...which I don't think is completely unrealistic, but maybe not probable. I would almost guarantee he'll be there @ #23 though.

We'll see what happens with Cassel...which will be extremely interesting because it remains to be seen how aggressive BB and co. will be in what they demand for him since everyone knows we are NOT going to want to be on the hook for his cap hit. I predict something like a this year's 2nd or 3rd round pick and a next year' 2nd or 1st round pick. We have enough picks this year and BB always likes to stockpile future picks. I wouldn't count on us picking up an xtra 1st rounder this year. We'll see....whadda ya'll think?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

Sintim should be in the area of the 24th pick no question and Harvin doesn't seem like a fit for the Pats.

The way things look to me as of now is that the CBs aren't going to be there for us unless the Pats reach. Things will change of course because it's early yet. It looks to me we the Pats are in excellent position for a LB draft. First to picks could Sintim and Clay Matthews. Might be able to pick up Javon Ringer with the 3rd pick. Not bad!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Gary,

I feel the same way. I don't think any of the top few corners make it down to #23 this time around, and there is way to much talent at other positions at #23 to really justify reaching down for someone like Moore or Alphonso Smith.

I also like Ringer. He is a player worth taking a shot on. I don't know why there isn't more buzz about him, but he was dominant. He reminds me of Kevin Faulk in that they were both excellent runners who had great hands, but had the knock of being quicker than they are fast.

If NE hasn't taken an skill position by the third or late second he is worth nabbing at least as a backup to Kevin.

Ush,

I am still debating Harvin in my head. His greatest asset is the one that is most likely to evaporate at the prolevel. In college he looks like the flash because defenses are just plodding at that level. In the NFL there will be three to four players that can run with him, and five or six that can meet him at the edge. And let's face it . . he ain't breaking any tackles.

But yes, his shiftyness, quickness hands and speed are a tempting combination indeed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

ZB, If given the choice of Sintim vs Vontae Davis vs. Harvin; I take Davis over Harvin and Sintim over both of them. Not because I think Harvin will be a bust, just because Sintim or Davis would be needed players for the Pats D (cf; coverage sack). I also believe the Pats needs on D surpass our needs on offense. I could even see a scenario where OL is addressed over WR in the first (Oher drops; Duke Robinson is available etc...). Thoughts ZB and others.....?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

I think IF the Pats look at the O on day one. They have to be thinking TE or OL. Lets face it Waston is 50/50 (drop/injury) at best and Thomas can't crack the line up. If they’re looking at OL they are looking at someone athletic. The reason I think this is all the Welker/Moss screens or RB draw approach they like to use. One big reason for our success with it is our OL. I see many teams try the WR screen and no one can run it like we can. In 07 Stallworth was pretty successful with it and the browns tried till they gave up. I think taking a "gamechanger” high in the draft is reaching for any team. Lets face it a gamechanger needs 10 other people to do there job. Just my stinky OP

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

On a lighter note A. Otogwe looks pretty good as db and still much much cheaper than Ashmougha (which ain't happening). Anyone that wants to start a FA thread: I will post. Just for the heck of it here Atogwe's stats and let's face it the Rams have a defense that is much worse than the Pats:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AtogO.20.htm

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

JOHNH,

Out of St. Louis I think it is far more likely that the pats take a stab at Bartell. My feeling about FA with NE is that the player has to be very special, or represent a special bargain. O.J. is going to look to cash in, but will likely be franchise tagged by St. Louis.

My feeling is that their VB Bartell will be available.

Although I have always said, I cna't see BB getting involved in any non-bargain corners on the FA market.

I agree with Mike Reiss' latest comments that NE will address DBs in the draft.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Ohyes,

Yeah, it is fun looking for OL forNE. A ton of people go looking for the biggest baddest, but their MO has always been drafting 305-315 athletich kids withbrains.

I think Russell Okung fits that bill. He is fast, He is smart. The question is waiting for him. 23 might be a reach, and 47 he is likely gone. Although McShay has him going #22 to the Iggles.

I don't think Oher is their kind of player, he is sloppy and not really a good athlete.

LOL. ESPN has Ne taking Cushing. I really hope not. That kid is possibly the most over-rated player in the draft.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

Haven't seen Okung play. He is listed as 6'5 290. That seems small for an offensive lineman, unless he's the center. Could be the wrong numbers ? Also heard he was staying for senior year ???? Who then is left at O Line Robinson. Loadholt, Jason Smith ? ZB, do you think Andre Smith is worth a top 5 pick (eg: Pace, Ogden territory) ? I would rather the Pats take the best or second best LB from the SEC than the second best LB from USC. It seemed to work with Mayo. Does Laurentaitis fall ? So many questions and far to much time until draft day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

Hi Guys.

I really feel at this time if Sintim is there that's the pick. The CBs, although badly needed, just don't measure up playerwise. It seems Davis continues to fall and Sintim maintains his spot regardless of the juniors coming out.

One item here. Sintim will rise in this draft. I'm pretty good at this. He'll be out of the Pats reach come draft time. I hope I'm wrong here.

I can't get excited about Cushing and I definately don't see an offensive player taken with the 1st pick. Too much defensive talent out there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Draft

you all should Check out this cat Sean Smith from Utah he is 6 foot 3 210 lbs and he played CB not safety

i think the pats grab this cat at 23 if he is available and move him to FS

reportedly he can run a 4.3 and he shut down Bamas big wide out

This is just the kind of guy BB likes as long as the kid has the smarts and the desire to play i think he is a quality pick

what do you think

this was reported on www.scout.com

thanks

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Okungis great,but last time I checked he was mulling coming out. Looks like you are right. He is staying. C'est la vie.

He is actualyl 305 now, or at least I found him listedas that. 290 might have been his weight out fo highschool.

300-10 is more than enough weight to play anwhere on NE's line.

But he won't be here regardless.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Smith is an option in the second round definitely. He is from Utah State, not Utah.

I don't know if he is a BB type of guy, because I don't know to much about his ethic.

But I know his record of success. If he puts up the type of combine that Utah State says he can he could skyrocket like Rogers-Cromartie did last season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

yea smith is a great athete his stock will rise real fast

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

Sorry Z, Smith is out of Utah and played safety.