Drafting a DE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwPATRIOTSww. Show wwPATRIOTSww's posts

Drafting a DE

This is my first year really watching college football, and the main reason honestly is to get a good view of players in the draft. I think we will use one high pick for a DE. I like Billy Winn from boise st. but he plays DT in a 43 and he is still a junior. 6-4 290. who would you like to see the pats draft at DE?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeepguy2358. Show jeepguy2358's posts

Re: Drafting a DE

I'd go for Da'Quon Bowers from Clemson.  This kid is leading the nation in sacks and a true DE.  I've had the privilege of watching him.  He is a beast.  Give him a couple years and the next pick out of SC will be Marcus Lattimore.  He is only a freshman and has rushed for over 1100 yards before the game today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Allen Bailey - Miami

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

JJ watts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

Allen Bailey from the U!!! The guy is a BEAST. If hes still available when we pick...if we get him it will prob be with the oakland pick b/c the guy wont be there at pick 32.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In Response to Re: Drafting a DE:
    [QUOTE]Allen Bailey from the U!!! The guy is a BEAST. If hes still available when we pick...if we get him it will prob be with the oakland pick b/c the guy wont be there at pick 32.
    Posted by patriots1a2[/QUOTE]

:-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Why even get hung up on prospective prospects for next year?  BB will pick some one that everyone complains about, until the season starts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

Fairley from Auburn is a DT who can pressure the pocket and might eliminate the need for a rush OLB.  Real good against the run too

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think this is all going to boil down to where Oak's pick is. If it is a top 10 I'm thinking they will go for a 3 down DE but if it lands in the mid to late teens I'm thinking it would be Quinn/Kerrigan or their choice of the top OT's in the draft

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

we're not going to draft a DL early. We'll get our improved pass D from adding an OLB or two, a CB, and maybe a S.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]we're not going to draft a DL early. We'll get our improved pass D from adding an OLB or two, a CB, and maybe a S.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

With the exception of Mayo, BB has picked only DE's with picks in the earlier picks (Wilfork [21 is close enough], Seymour, Warren). He's also been said to think the linemen are the easiest to predict and most reliable to judge with early draft picks. Those he finds are the hardest to translate into the pro's are WR's and DB's. So it's a safer bet he'll go with a lineman then anything else.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

You want the defense to improve in 2011??  Then wish for BB to get a LB who can pass coverage the middle of the field. 

All this DE talk is nonsense.  You have safeties that can roam with confidence and a pass coverage LB to compliment Mayo, you'll have your synthetic QB pressure.. JUST like they had in the Super Bowl years. 

How little people forget that the Patriots won without a big name up front. But this is New England-- totally enamored with aging superstars!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hinkle. Show hinkle's posts

ironhead heywood's boy from oregon

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drafting a DE : With the exception of Mayo, BB has picked only DE's with picks in the earlier picks (Wilfork [21 is close enough], Seymour, Warren). He's also been said to think the linemen are the easiest to predict and most reliable to judge with early draft picks. Those he finds are the hardest to translate into the pro's are WR's and DB's. So it's a safer bet he'll go with a lineman then anything else.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]
    Predicting how the player translates for BB is much easier than the position. It's not going to matter the position. DL isn't going to be the one taken. There's no roster spot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamiemerrick. Show jamiemerrick's posts

Fairley may be gone by the time of Oakland's pick. I could see the Pats using the Carolina pick at the top of the second round to draft DE Christian Ballard of Iowa. Underrated player with protoypical 3-4 DE size.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

We need a DE with the Raider's pick.  Fairley of Auburn is best, but will be selected before we pick.  JJ Watt from Wisconsin is my choice; fine player with size, speed, motor to be a great fit for BB and Pats.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I'm with BTown,

No matter who you think it will be, you will be wrong. BB will pick a "reach" that most will hate but end up being one of the best in the league at what ever position he chooses.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire2. Show Quagmire2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drafting a DE : With the exception of Mayo, BB has picked only DE's with picks in the earlier picks (Wilfork [21 is close enough], Seymour, Warren). He's also been said to think the linemen are the easiest to predict and most reliable to judge with early draft picks. Those he finds are the hardest to translate into the pro's are WR's and DB's. So it's a safer bet he'll go with a lineman then anything else.

Dont forget Seymour was drafted to be a DT and played DT his first couple years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drafting a DE : Dont forget Seymour was drafted to be a DT and played DT his first couple years.
    Posted by Quagmire2[/QUOTE]

Lol I meant to put DL but put DE by mistake. Wilfork isn't a DE either : P

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I have no idea what BB will do except that it will be smart. Iwould take JJones first and Watt second and then an ol. Fairly will be long gone by the Oakland pick and Bowers is a top 5 pick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Fairley is a beast, but with Auburn going to the BCS Championship game he going to get massive attention ... he's gone before Pats pick.

Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA,  may be there; pass rusher supreme, with non-stop motor.  He's played agst top notch teams in a strong PAC-10. This guy could be the missing ingredient Pats need.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I think this is all going to boil down to where Oak's pick is. If it is a top 10 I'm thinking they will go for a 3 down DE but if it lands in the mid to late teens I'm thinking it would be Quinn/Kerrigan or their choice of the top OT's in the draft

Yes good points

If the Oakland pick is 9-14 (little chance of it being better than 9) then I'd assume one of Watts, Fairley or Dareus will be there, or be just a 3rd rd pick away from trading up 2-3 spots to grab.

If the Oakland pick is 15-19 (I doubt it is any worse than 19) Then I would say grab Quinn, Ayers or Kerrigan.

At our pick (worse 26 best 32) I say try and trade up (if we didn't have to already) to get either one of those 3 OLB's who falls into the 19-24 range or trade up to get an OT in Sherrod or Carmini who can be  groomed under Light for a year.

With our pick at 33 or 34 I'd like to get massive RB Daniel Thomas, he provides exactly the type of style B

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

I bet they're really interested in DeMarco Murray.

Cameron Jordan of Cal is someone to keep a close eye on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

There seems to be about 20 or so DL who are projected to go in the first 2 rounds.  I've never seen anything like this.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]There seems to be about 20 or so DL who are projected to go in the first 2 rounds.  I've never seen anything like this.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany[/QUOTE]

There are but of those 20 really I only see 5 fitting in our sytem well and 3-4 making a switch to OLB in a 34 system. Now of course of those 5, 3 are top 15 picks and 2 most likely in the top 8  so that's why I'm thinking if the pick isn't in th 12 or below range they might try to replace an OLman or get that pass rusher they are missing. However, as I said last year I still think the CB position is now full with Bodden and McCourty the solid starters and Arrington and Butler being good nickels but then again BB surprised me last year and it's worked out great. I don't see a S worth taking that high though and I'm never high on taking a WR or RB that high. It's funny how many people wanted to trade up and grab Spiller and now look at him. I'd rather have Woody then him right now.

Right now I'm thinking, assuming they don't trade back but even if they do I still think they take 6 in the first 3 rounds, they go an OL, DL, DE/OLB with the first 3 picks then go RB, S, and either WR/CB/OL in the next 3