Drafting and dealing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Drafting and dealing

What do you think is best, the conservative way the pats traditionally draft trading down, accumulating picks so you get a lot of good players   Or going all in like Atlanta did trading the farm for julio jones?

I'm curious to see how long the falcons will be competitive.   We all can see how we'll the jests got going all in.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Drafting and dealing

I dont think either way is right or wrong, I think it all depends on the player or players you are targeting! If there is no stud available and you trade down for extra picks it increases the chances on hitting on a player. For every Julio Jones there is a Ryan Leaf. But when you hit (e.g. RGlll) it is well worth the price!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I agree with Quagmire... giggitty... it really all depends on available talent and need of your team... though I'd add that QB is prob the only position worth breaking the bank for, IMO. 

It's clear that BB has generally preferred to stockpile picks, giving himself flexilibity... but the rookie salary cap and relative reduction in financial risk may cause him to change that philsophy a bit, as evident by his trading up multiple times in Rd 1 last season.

At the end of the day, I still think it's all about value and that you'll continue to see him move up and down to acquire what he feels provides said value.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I like the value approach the majority of the time, but you can't save all those picks forever.  Once in a while it is good the cash some of that "draft stock" in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The Pats don't have the farm to trade this year (just 4 picks), so it's not much of an issue for the moment.  The Falcons will be fine because they have a young franchise QB. The Jets...not so much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Trading up 5-10 spots in the draft seems to have worked out well for BB.  Jones, Hightower, and Gronkowski come to mind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Pats don't have the farm to trade this year (just 4 picks), so it's not much of an issue for the moment.  The Falcons will be fine because they have a young franchise QB. The Jets...not so much.

[/QUOTE]

I think the Talib situation might get interesting.  He will either sign with the Pats or the Pats will be outbid.  If they're outbid, that potentially could end up being a compensatory 3rd round pick.

BB might end up being the draft mastermind of all time if he sent a 4th rounder to Tampa Bay and recieved Talib plus a 3rd rounder in return.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the Talib situation might get interesting.  He will either sign with the Pats or the Pats will be outbid.  If they're outbid, that potentially could end up being a compensatory 3rd round pick.

BB might end up being the draft mastermind of all time if he sent a 4th rounder to Tampa Bay and recieved Talib plus a 3rd rounder in return.

[/QUOTE]

The compensation is based on FA's lost versus FA's signed. If they let Welker and Talib go and do not sign anyone they would probably end up with a 3rd and a 4th, but if they bring in players of similar value they might get something lower or nothing.  

Sections
Shortcuts