Drafting of Offensive skill players since Brady

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveM1967a. Show DaveM1967a's posts

Drafting of Offensive skill players since Brady

The Pats drafting of offensive skill players in the high rounds has been a disaster.  Everything else Bellichick does is of course is incredibly good and we're truly lucky to have him coach our team.

But, listing the draft picks.

Maroney  1st round
    Chad Jackson 2nd round 6th pick
    Ben Watson 1st round
    Kevin O'connell 3rd round
    Dave Thomas 3rd round
    Bethel Johnson 2nd round.

Actually, since Brady, the Pats have not drafted one good skill player on offense that's still on the team (Branch/Givens/Graham were good in our system, but have done zero outside it).  

Doing this off the top of my head, maybe I'm missing someone.  I think we should stick to O-line and Defense on draft day and continue to trade for our offensive skill players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Drafting of Offensive skill players since Brady

You are only naming teh bad people to make your point. What about Matt Light? Dan Koppen? Deon Branch? David Givens? The Ghost? Steve Neal was not drafted but we found and developed him so what about him? Nick Kazcur has been a starter since day one so how about him? And Maroney is not as bad as most make him out to be if you look at his numbers when he is healthy he is good. Same thing was said about guys like Fred Taylor early in their careers and he went on to rush for over 10,000 yards in his career. Have we missed big on a few guys? yes we have but you saying we havent drafted anyone good since Brady is not only wrong its stupid too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveM1967a. Show DaveM1967a's posts

MVP, did you read the post?  I said skill positions, noting we should stick to drafting O-lineman as the Pats have had great success there.

Deion and Branch were good players for the Pats.  Agree with you there, but we didn't sign them and they have done nothing since.  Which makes me think they were decent players, certainly not very good players. 

Can you just admit that the last 5-6 years, there's been no good skill position players drafted by the Pats, which is weird, considering their great drafting at other positions, and trading for skill guys (Dillon, Moss, Welker)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

In Response to Re: Drafting of Offensive skill players since Brady:
    [QUOTE]MVP, did you read the post?  I said skill positions, noting we should stick to drafting O-lineman as the Pats have had great success there. Deion and Branch were good players for the Pats.  Agree with you there, but we didn't sign them and they have done nothing since.  Which makes me think they were decent players, certainly not very good players.  Can you just admit that the last 5-6 years, there's been no good skill position players drafted by the Pats, which is weird, considering their great drafting at other positions, and trading for skill guys (Dillon, Moss, Welker)
    Posted by DaveM1967a[/QUOTE                                                                                                                                                                                                 
    You got a point about the picks you've mentioned but maybe Bill knows he has had some bad luck with some of his Off/skill picks and that's why our top 3 WR's,2 RB's and 2 TE's came via trade or FA.I really don't care how he gets good players  as long as he keeps getting them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveM1967a. Show DaveM1967a's posts

Cow, completely agree.  I'm just bringing up a weird weakness, maybe the only one, where scouting offensive skill guys just isn't working, as compared to everything else, most definitely trading for veteran WR/RB.

Also didn't count Tate, the 3rd round WR, not on the roster. 

Sections
Shortcuts