Drafting RB's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Drafting RB's

I started a discussion about LB's measurables earlier and decided to look at the Pats RB's.  Other than Faulk, all have various heights from 5'11" to 6'2" but all weigh the in the same 220 range.

1.C.J. SpillerClemson5-111954.35
      2.Jahvid BestCalifornia5-101954.35
      3.Jonathan DwyerGeorgia Tech6-02354.50
      4.Ryan MathewsFresno State5-112204.50
      5.Montario HardestyTennessee6-02154.55
      6.Joe McKnightSouthern Cal6-01904.40
      7.Charles ScottLouisiana State6-02344.60
      8.Ben TateAuburn5-112184.50
      9.Anthony DixonMississippi State6-12354.60
    10.James StarksBuffalo6-22114.50

If I were to stick to this model, both Spiller, Best, and McKnight are too light.  Dwyer may be too heavy as well as Scott and Dixon.  So that leaves Mathews, Hardesty, Tate, and Starks at the right weight range that BB likes.  All 4 seem to have a decent amount of rec's, but Starks is off the charts.  He might be one to go after in the later rounds.  I know the competition level might not be great, but his measurables and stats are.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Drafting RB's

be nice to pick up some good hard hitting RBs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I agree.  Maybe Dwyer wouldn't be so bad.  How big are some of the other Big Backs in the league?

Jacobs is around 260ish, right?  Is the Jets Shonn Greene over 240?

Maybe he's what we need, but it's someing out of the norm when it comes to the Pats backfield.  Fred Taylor is listed at 228.

It would be nice to draft Spiller or Best, but I think they are better suited for the 3rd down role and picking either at 22 would be too high.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

What about  Blount?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

dwhite1220, Blount is 6'1", 240, and runs about a 4.6 40. He's pretty quick/agile but is obviously one of the bigger backs available.

I'd take him in a heartbeat, though. I think the Pats could really use a power back like LGB.

PatsFanGermany, I think the measurables speculation is really interesting. If the Pats draft a RB, I'm curious now as to whether BB will draft someone with similar physical attributes to the backs they already have, or go with someone different. Personally, I'd love to see a nasty physical runner who can really pound the ball and who the Pats can count on in short yardage situations. For where they'll be selecting, Mathews is my top choice right now, but after him I have my eye on Scott and Blount.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Toby Gerhart 6'1" 235 - pounds the rock, punishes defenders, doesn't go down until there are two or three hanging off him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

IF we get a 3rd round pick do you think Blount  would still be on the board?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

"Toby Gerhart 6'1" 235 - pounds the rock, punishes defenders, doesn't go down until there are two or three hanging off him."

..and, he hasn't fumbled the ball ONCE in his entire collegiate career. Don't think BB hasn't noticed that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Give me Toby Gerhart ANY day of the week and twice on Sunday.

No to Ryan Mathews. Saw him play a few times. Choked in his bowl game. Fumblitise. and a few times I saw him have chance first and goal from the one and two yards lines and could not move a pile.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Gerhart is a stud I could see him but I also don't rule out Spiller as the first RB they take and I say first because I think they take two RB's before the end of the 4th round. That is a position they need immediate upgrade at and that is even if they decide to bring Faulk back (I hope they do he has a couple good years left).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~Like Dixon and Dwyer personally.  And The stats I've seen on Dixon and Dwyer say that they're both faster (not totally sure on Dixon's overall).  But RE: Dwyer, I've seen it stated that he's very nearly 6'1, Is 225 lbs-235lbs, and that He runs, or at least-Can run a 4.4 40yd...and the thing is, He LOOKS like he can in each and every highlight film I've seen of him.  RE: Toby Gerhart, I've seen it listed that he can run a 4.55 40yd, but usually I've seen it as a 4.6 40yd...and the thing is, After seeing his highlights, they gotta change something-like a 4 to a 7 maybe, or perhaps add a few extra numbers...'cause good lord, IF Gerhart actually did that, It must have been 4 years ago on skates going down a wind tunnel perched on the side of a cliff.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Laz I guess USC and all the other defensive players on the teams in this video must all run slower than 4.7 or the other numbers you are thinking about.

Backs don't hit home runs in the pros at the same rate like in college. So the top end speed is less important to me. Give me a quick guy with great vision and can move the chains in a pile when necessary.

I am not impressed with the Dixon film I have seen so far. Dwyer first few films I saw were equally unimpressive. I have seen some other recently on Dwyer were he did more than just run fast through huge gaping holes so I feel a li'l bit better about him.

Top end speed is not a guarantee on how good the back is. I hope you don't honestly believe that?

Does anyone remember what Emmit Smith, Cory Dillon and Larry Johnson ran in the 40? It wasn't blazing I'll tell you that. Some people actually thought those guys would be too slow for the pro game.

When Corey was here the thing that impressed me most wasn't his power but his vision and ability to setup his blocks. It won't matter if you can break away once you hit daylight if you never setup your blocks or have the vision to find th hole or cutback lanes in the first place.

I don't think anyone questions Maroney's "speed". They question his vision.

Not to mention we still play in NE and if we get back to being good enough to have the home field advantage throughout the playoffs we could certainly use a guy like Gerhart. Balance, power, and vision. Speed won't help you so much as nimbleness in the snow.

Just my two cents though...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I am not impressed with the Dixon film I have seen so far. Dwyer first few films I saw were equally unimpressive. I have seen some other recently on Dwyer were he did more than just run fast through huge gaping holes so I feel a li'l bit better about him."

~Lo-FB...and THIS is the real question at hand regarding Dwyer.  Namely, How much of his overall success can be attributed to Ga Tech's open formation option-offense, and how well, or won't- that translate when he gets to the big leagues? 

I just personally know or believe (and expressed long ago)-That NE needs a Bigger, between the tackles back, Who has enough speed to go the distance, SO that NE's Offense can keep the oppossing DTs honest enough to stop flying through the O-Line gaps in order to get to Brady and/or limit his most successful trait-pocket prescence (and even moreso-stepping "up" in the pocket)-The DTs can now fly in (or do their best to try to) without a care in the world in regards to one of our current RBs being a decent enough threat to first, make it by those DTs (quickly and with the body size-enough to negate a mere arm tackle), Agile enough to make a move on the LBs, And Fast enough to outrun the oppossing D's secondary... 

~I believe Dwyer offers by far, that best potential here.  But again, just my take...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

the problem with highlight clips on youtube is that they all look great. i like blount a lot, on his clip, he looked no better than maroney on maroney's clip.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~Blount, Dwyer, Dixon...ALL these guys would work for me.  Bigger backs have been by far the more successful RBs in NE during BB's and TB's tenure here (A. Smith, C. Dillon, and even S. Morris looked good before his chest injury).  And not simply because of the details I talked about in my previous post, But We are a "Pass-First" Offense for the greater part...and we're built that way on the O-Line.  Less-maulers like Philadelphia has, for instance.  Smaller O-Lineman, more nimble, better at pass-blocking than run-blocking smashmouth...

~So If NE doesn't have a bigger back, that can break some of these tackles/defender's bodies, arms, or whatever that aren't eaten up by bigger O-Lineman/O-Lineman adept at a more a standard running offense-AND a RB who /still make guys miss/has some of the speed to still be an endzone distance threat, THEN on standard plays where we LOOK like we're gonna run, and ACTUALLY do run, Then  someone the size of C.J. Spiller (5'11/195lbs) or even Maroney's size, The RB simply won't get the job done (i.e. "Run Play"-non 3rd down plays where Faulk does a draw for a decent gain against a spread out Defense/non-Play action fake pass-plays where we look like we're gonna run and end up passing, BUT actual 1st & 2nd down-Look like a Run and Do a Run play)... 
    ~There's an actual Reason Why Noone remembers a smaller N.E. Runningback blowing up any number of big gain/TD plays during the past 2-3 years...and so there's more to this than merely keeping a Defense "honest", and there's more to this than merely helping out Tom Brady's best trait of stepping up in the pocket by having a between-the-tackles guy...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Laz I guess USC and all the other defensive players on the teams in this video must all run slower than 4.7 or the other numbers you are thinking about.
    Backs don't hit home runs in the pros at the same rate like in college. So the top end speed is less important to me. Give me a quick guy with great vision and can move the chains in a pile when necessary."

Low-FB~

That's a far, far better highlight film than the 2 others I saw on Toby Gerhart previously...  Still, a few worries on Gerhart.  You made mention regarding the option Offense of Jonathen Dwyer and the large running lanes that Ga Tech is subsequently therefore able to allow Dwyer...Agreed (and made previous mention of it).

Yet Stanford's O-Line looks like a bunch of monsters who's run-blocking syle greatly benefits Gerhart as smashing run-blockers (and I saw noone ever near Gerhart in the backfield)...more important though, N.E.'s O-line isn't built as an NFL-based bunch of massive O-Lineman, and block less for a running game (made mention of this in post just prior)...  Gerhart DOES have great vision, but imo his better trait Is that he patiently waits for blocks to develop adequately before hitting the hole...just like Lawrence Maroney.  Which again, would be simply fantastic for both guys IF NE's Offense was built that way (i.e. with a bigger, run-blocking O-Line like Phili, or even like Tampa had during the Jon Alscott years)...

~I just have to say, after the youtube clip you offered, I'm Much More sold on Toby Gerhart than previously...But in the end though, The biggest concern I have with Toby Gerhart is that he might be a tougher fit for NE, and some might work better...and not because of our schematics, but because the players we have at other skill positions already...and not Tom Brady, no...Wes Welker for one. 
    ~See Welker's a white guy at a predominantly black guy position, Just like Gerhart would be another white dude at a black dude's spot...and for me lol, that's simply pushing the envelope too far.  I mean seriously, there's only so much one can or even-should expect from a white guy in the NFL at a skill spot (yes, and I'm white)... Seriously?  lmao...a white back being a star in the pros...who do you people think we are?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I'm just drooling at the thought of any of the stud RBs being discussed here becoming a patriot. along with a WR or two this would put us right back in the mix of elite offensive powers in the NFL. We haven't had a young stud power back in decades.

Corey Dillon maybe, but he didn't have much left in the tank by the time he got here.

I'm thinking maybe a Dillon type of bruiser who runs over people, wears down defenses and is durable would be preferable to a scatback type like spiller.