Drafting Strategy of Thomas Dimitroff

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

Drafting Strategy of Thomas Dimitroff

I like the way Atlanta's GM moves up rather than down to acquire players they think are highly rated in areas they have targeted as a critical need. Julio Jones is the obvious example but now Dimitroff may be targeting Dion Jordan or Dee Millner.

In my opionion, if you are on the cusp of a title shot then this is the correct drafting strategy.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22097692/trade-talk-heating-up-around-league-with-draft-week-away

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Re: Drafting Strategy of Thomas Dimitroff

And this is what makes New England so good for so LONG. Its not about one year, its about building teams for long periods. No Doubt it worked out for julio. But what if Jordan or Milliner dont live up to the hype. It cost a lot to move into the top 5 and if it doesn't pan out it can haunt you for years to come. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

And this is what makes New England so good for so LONG. Its not about one year, its about building teams for long periods. No Doubt it worked out for julio. But what if Jordan or Milliner dont live up to the hype. It cost a lot to move into the top 5 and if it doesn't pan out it can haunt you for years to come. 

Both ways have pros and cons, look at BB trading down for all those picks that never made an impact. Quality over quantity vice versa. It's a crap shoot, we killed it on the T.E.'s but missed dearly on secondary.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

As I've said before, I think there are pros and cons to both strategies.  Ultimately, though, whichever you pursue, your ability to evaluate talent is key.  If you go for the high round guys, especially, you better do a good job of evaluating talent because the cost of making a mistake is high. If you go for value, mistakes don't hurt you as much, but you also need to be good at recognizing undervalued talent or you may end up with a lot of middling players and no real impact guys. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

I agree that its riskier to move up and I am not advocating that this is always the right way to go but in the Patriots situation, isn't a player like Star Lotulelei or Sharif Floyd  worth the gamble? Most Patriots fans acknowledge that the Patriots could greatly benefit defensively if they had a penetrating 4 down DT that could line up next to Wilfork and create real pressure on opposing QB's. So my point is if you are a good team with a critical need it makes sense to go get that player even if the risk is higher. Stockpiling players that may add depth is less important than going out an getting a big time playmaker - even if there is a chance you might be wrong.

The Falcolns are similar in that they have a very talented team with a  few major holes and I like the fact that Dimitroff is bold enough to go take a chance like this,

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

id rather win 5 titles than be in the playoffs 10 years in a row and win 3.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to poopsteo's comment:

Both ways have pros and cons, look at BB trading down for all those picks that never made an impact. Quality over quantity vice versa. It's a crap shoot, we killed it on the T.E.'s but missed dearly on secondary.

+1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

As I've said before, I think there are pros and cons to both strategies.  Ultimately, though, whichever you pursue, your ability to evaluate talent is key.  If you go for the high round guys, especially, you better do a good job of evaluating talent because the cost of making a mistake is high. If you go for value, mistakes don't hurt you as much, but you also need to be good at recognizing undervalued talent or you may end up with a lot of middling players and no real impact guys. 

my complaint

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It can cost you just as much to move down and not have them pan out either. How many picks have we used on CB's or WR's? Would it have been worth it to package those picks and get a top 10 player that would still be on the team? For example 09's where are picks where we could of had Clay Mathews, Vonte Davis, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt. Not saying either stratergy works but both could lead to issues. Right now the Pats need talent not quantity of players. Moving up increases th likelyhood he talent is real whil moving back increases te chances of busts. With the team only needing a small amount of talent moving up might be the better strategy then moving back provided you locked up the people you want for the future

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Going for broke doesn't guarantee titles. The Patriots are in the hunt most every year. They would have your precious 5 titles if not for a couple of bad bounces.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Got to hand it to Atlanta, they were very aggressive in building that team and it's paying off. I've got to think if we were as aggressive during that three year period when we had more draft choices than anyone in football, we would of won another Super Bowl.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Going for broke doesn't guarantee titles. The Patriots are in the hunt most every year. They would have your precious 5 titles if not for a couple of bad bounces.

they might not have the first three or all three if not for some good fortune either

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Many pink helmets here don't think what Dimitrioff learned from BB is valuable, because BB isn't a very good GM. Didn't ya know?

why should they? you never acknowledge Bellichick's debt to Parcells and Young

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

It can cost you just as much to move down and not have them pan out either. How many picks have we used on CB's or WR's? Would it have been worth it to package those picks and get a top 10 player that would still be on the team? For example 09's where are picks where we could of had Clay Mathews, Vonte Davis, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt. Not saying either stratergy works but both could lead to issues. Right now the Pats need talent not quantity of players. Moving up increases th likelyhood he talent is real whil moving back increases te chances of busts. With the team only needing a small amount of talent moving up might be the better strategy then moving back provided you locked up the people you want for the future

this is the case i have made here for a few years (to only jeers).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Got to hand it to Atlanta, they were very aggressive in building that team and it's paying off. I've got to think if we were as aggressive during that three year period when we had more draft choices than anyone in football, we would of won another Super Bowl.

agreed (still might have won if we had a top league offensive corrdinator).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

they might not have the first three or all three if not for some good fortune either

exactly. bb cuts it too close to teh vest imo. too conservative. just as easily could have lost 3 we won.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to stewart7557's comment:

I like the way Atlanta's GM moves up rather than down to acquire players they think are highly rated in areas they have targeted as a critical need. Julio Jones is the obvious example but now Dimitroff may be targeting Dion Jordan or Dee Millner.

In my opionion, if you are on the cusp of a title shot then this is the correct drafting strategy.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22097692/trade-talk-heating-up-around-league-with-draft-week-away

Look for him to move up to draft Notre Dame TE, Tyler Eifort

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Atl past 5 years have won 13, 10, 13, 9, 11 games. The wins have coincided with the arrival of Ryan. Seems a pretty good bet as long as Ryan is playing this will be a double digit win team always in the hunt. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

test

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Many pink helmets here don't think what Dimitrioff learned from BB is valuable, because BB isn't a very good GM. Didn't ya know?

Dimitrioff learned at BB' s knee no doubt. His player management has been magnificent. He makes similar cold hearted decisions to BB. BB knows how to create tremendous opportunity in this cap climate, and Dimitrioff is following the blue print.

Then they do the opposite with that created opportunity.

I can't ever see BB signing a free agent RB to big money like Turner did. 

I can't ever see BB trading those draft picks to move up to top 5 to choose a WR 

I can't see BB trading for TGonzo

I can't see BB using a top 3 on a QB 

I truly, truly, truly wonder if Brady played hard ball and wanted Flacco, Manning or Rodgers money if BB would have signed him or traded him. 

I also contend that Kraft is very, very involved with NFL policy. When it comes to the team discussions, especially personnel and salaries, BB does a very good job of playing politician with his owner, as seen on the NFL network when discussing Vince. But make no mistake it is 100% BB making every decision on every player and money involved. I also contend trying to balance financials and BB's decisions is very, very much on Jonathan Kraft these days more so than Robert. BB would never leave the team because of football issues. He would leave from what he perceives as ownership issues. The one football issue Robert Kraft and BB would draw the line in the sand is Brady. 

I think it is also very clear that if BB didn't think Brady could play at a high level for the next 5 years, the contract would have not been signed. Additionally, the " team friendly" contract Brady signed with the guarantees and bonuses gives Brady his money guaranteed, but removes the cap pressure from team building (BB) and puts the pressure on the wallet (Kraft). This is the culmination of BB understanding Brady's value, talent and ability to maintain that level for 5 years, Brady wanting to remain a Patriot his entire career but still get paid ( he got more guaranteed money than Flacco but came out of looking like a saint), and Kraft wanting to bang out the stadium every week and be on national TV more so than any team and build the brand which is very much due to Brady.

Blank is making a lot of decisions that BB is making, itis not (yet) on Dimitrioff. I bet Ryan gets a Flacco contract, which would be opposite of what BB would do. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

LMFAO I love this type of comment.  Everyone who is a fan of this team should know nothing is guaranteed.  See 2007.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The best team doesn't always win the super bowl. Some of the best Steeler teams didn't win the super bowl. Some of the best 49er teams didn't win the super bowl. The Patriots have had a team good enough to win it all in 8 of the last 12 seasons by my estimation. (9 if Brady doesn't go down in 2008) That's something to brag about yet some are complaining.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

It is very easy to look at the player chosen in a trade up and say 'brilliant move', but what doesn't get looked at is the lost opportunity that was given up to move up. To be specific, they gave up two 1st rounders, one 2nd rounder, and 2 fourth rounders for a single wide receiver. He is good, but would anyone here actually make that trade for the Pats today for Jones? Or really for any receiver?I doubt it.

That is just a huge lost opportunity for any team. You are saying that Jones by himself is better than say a starting OG, starting DE, a #3 CB, and a rotational DL and OL combined. Now picks are not necessarily going to pan out so maybe you drop half of that haul. But what have you really gained ... 2011 - Wild Card loss and record of 10-7, Conference Champ loss and 14-4.

If BB had made that trade and gotten those results almost every poster on this board would be listing all the players they didn't get because of the trade, and calling for his head.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

The best team doesn't always win the super bowl. Some of the best Steeler teams didn't win the super bowl. Some of the best 49er teams didn't win the super bowl. The Patriots have had a team good enough to win it all in 8 of the last 12 seasons by my estimation. (9 if Brady doesn't go down in 2008) That's something to brag about yet some are complaining.

fair enough-well said

Sections
Shortcuts