Dreadful Defence

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Dreadful Defence

Two weeks to prepare for the Bills and that's the best effort that we can come up with. For the most part we didn't stop the Bills, they stopped themselves, in the ist half with penalties and in the 2nd they fumbled and got picked off when they had a chance to take the lead at the end of the game. To me it mostly added up to astonishly bad defense from guy who is supposed to be a defensive genius.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Dreadful Defence

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Two weeks to prepare for the Bills and that's the best effort that we can come up with. For the most part we didn't stop the Bills, they stopped themselves, in the ist half with penalties and in the 2nd they fumbled and got picked off when they had a chance to take the lead at the end of the game. To me it mostly added up to astonishly bad defense from guy who is supposed to be a defensive genius.

[/QUOTE]

this team scored 9 against houston last week.

we stink.

the odor is strong.

the coaching is awful

genius defensive coach

genius gm

hes whiffinig on defense

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Consider that Buffalo averages about 21.7 points against all the other teams they've played.

They are getting about 29 per game against NE. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't put this much on the HC version. 

To rehash Babe's refrain. 

BB the GM has to carry the blame here.

The players out there in the back 4 are terrible. 

The players in the front seven are good, but not nearly good enough to make up for those other guys. Something really needs to be done. 

Let's hope Talib is as good as he has EVER been when he is ready to suit up. 

we stink.

the odor is strong.

the coaching is awful

genius defensive coach

genius gm

hes whiffinig on defense

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The players in the front seven are good, but not nearly good enough to make up for those other guys. Something really needs to be done. 

we stink.

the odor is strong.

the coaching is awful

genius defensive coach

genius gm

hes whiffinig on defense

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

z you are missing that much of teh front 7 did not play well today.

so  many missed tackles

no linelbnackeers can cover, so there are backs and tes open on every play

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

ouch....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we stink.

the odor is strong.

the coaching is awful

genius defensive coach

genius gm

hes whiffinig on defense

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

z you are missing that much of teh front 7 did not play well today.

so  many missed tackles

no linelbnackeers can cover, so there are backs and tes open on every play

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They didn't. 

That doesn't mean they are terrible. 

The DB corps basically never, ever plays well. 

They have been nailed to the bottom of the league in pass defense metrics for years now. 

The front seven isn't great. But come on ... they have quality players up front. Jones, Fork, Mayo. Et al. 

I really, objectively, can't say I would want ANY player in NE's back four on my defense. Not a bloody one. Really. 

Whereas I would want those three in a second and wouldn't snuff at a few others.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Boy were they bad today. No way to sugar coat it or spin a positive out of it. Let's hope Talib can help. Today was their worst defensive performance maybe ever.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boy were they bad today. No way to sugar coat it or spin a positive out of it. Let's hope Talib can help. Today was their worst defensive performance maybe ever.

[/QUOTE]

What?

Look at your last sentence.  NE's D ALWAYS struggles with Fred Jackson. They failed today, but I still really like this Run D.

4 fumbles created an INT, some pressure and some sacks is not terrible at all, especially with 2 Safeties playing together for the first time.

The Cunningham strip sack set up some of this team's points in the 1st half.  

Every QB in this league throws for 300 yards, dude. No one cares about what happens between the 20s, it's what you do inside them that matter. Last time I checked, I saw TWO big turnovers inside the 20s today while our offense has its collective thumbs up their anuses in the 4th.

I refuse to blame Spikes and Mayo on awful calls nor do I blame the ball bouncing wrong for the Pats when Spikes absolutely knocked Jackson into next week.

Wake up. Everything in this league is stacked againt the Ds.

[/QUOTE]

Everything might be stacked against the D's, but there are some good ones out there.  NE's is just NOT one of them!  Not even close unless you think bottom of the barrell is good.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

I did like the big hits by spikes and mayo despite the penaltiesometimes you just need to drill someone

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

BB needs to send out a wake call to the DC, that jobs are on the line. And Josh McD is no saint either. I think the offense was on the field less than 10 seconds with a 3 and out.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

People say bill is a defensive genius, but that was back then when bill was surrounded by very talented players, look at the patriots defensive rostor and point out anything that resembles what bill had back in the early 2000's. we have maybe 2-3 players on defense, everything else is average or below. Now if you give bill 2 elite DE, 2 DT who can stuff the middle, 1 shutdown corner and an elite safety, mixed in with some average players to fill the rest of the positions no defense we have a top 5 defense. Not because of bill but because we have that many good players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

The Run D was bad as was Wilfork. Is he hiding an injury or was he that indifferent today. He was single covered and still did nothing.

I thought the Safety play was pretty good and not bad with two guys playing back there for the first time again. McCourty actually looks good back there. Not bad.

Pluses:

Cunningham, Dennard, Spikes

Minuses:

Wilfork, Jones, Ninkovich

Would be nice to see this offense ice one game this year in the 4th. JESUS

It's like they feel like they've done enough by moving the sticks which isn't hard with this talent.

[/QUOTE]

Newsflash.  NO NFL team should have to ice a game in the 4th while scoring 37 points and as usual ahead by 2 scores.  Yet this is the story of our lives.  Please get a clue!  No, I didn't say sniff glue, I said get a clue.  That stuff is bad for whatever remaining brain cells you have left.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think at the very core of this defense (in terms of it's problem) is it's coverage at the linebacker spot. It's awful, just terrible. Spikes is too slow and Mayo has got to have the worst instincts of any guy I've ever seen with his ability. As bad as the secondary is (and it's bad) the linebackers kill them, just kill them.

Nincovich should of been taken off the field today he was terrible. This is the problem with him, he's not big enough or fast enough and it hurts us at that spot. I know he knows the defense, but that isn't good enough. It just isn't. He misses runners on the edge...he can't get there. His pass rush consists of him running into a tackle and dancing with the guy until the whistle blows. He misses jams at the line and guys just run free. Never mind the fact that he gets blown off the ball when they run at him. Put Bequette in there. Put Scott in there. Put Francis in there. What's the problem? Is it lazy coaching on defense? Coaches not wanting to risk anything? You telling me that these players can't do it better? Because if that's the case why are they here?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Yep.  Giving up 31pts is not good no matter how you slice it.  This defense stinks.  It shouldn't have been a contest but was because of this defense.   The DBs are terrible.  The front didn't help things out much either.  This was a defensive meltdown.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What?

Look at your last sentence.  NE's D ALWAYS struggles with Fred Jackson. They failed today, but I still really like this Run D.

4 fumbles created an INT, some pressure and some sacks is not terrible at all, especially with 2 Safeties playing together for the first time.

Every QB in this league throws for 300 yards, dude. No one cares about what happens between the 20s, it's what you do inside them that matter. Last time I checked, I saw TWO big turnovers inside the 20s today while our offense has its collective thumbs up their anuses in the 4th.

I refuse to blame Spikes and Mayo on awful calls nor do I blame the ball bouncing wrong for the Pats when Spikes absolutely knocked Jackson into next week.

[/QUOTE]

Bwa ha ahha haha .  What an idiot you are.  

"Every QB throws for 300 yards"?  That would be true except that it's not.  In fact, Fitz has thrown for 300 yards two out of 9 times this year... both against the Patriots fully "rebuilt defense".  And for the moron that keeps yapping about how giving up yards doesn't matter, it's all about points... Now you're claiming that giving up 31 points doesn't matter because they "created" four turnovers?  Let me clue you in on something, chief, not every turnover is "created" by the defense. In fact, you are the one that always says that NE turnovers are Brady's fault, as opposed to being "created" by the opposing defense.  

I'm just waiting for you to pronounce McCourty the  best safety in the NFL for catching a ball thrown to him  and that BB drafted him knowing that he would be a failed CB and he'd be moved to safety and "dominate".  

As for you not blaming Mayo or Spikes.... yeah big surprise.  When have you ever blamed anyone on BBs D for playing horribly?  Mmmmm, never?  Can we all assume you blame Brady for giving up all those rushing yards?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe it would be more accurate if it said, every QB that plays the Patriots throws for 300+ yards.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to BubbaInHawaii's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What?

[/QUOTE]

"Every QB throws for 300 yards"?  That would be true except that it's not.  In fact, Fitz has thrown for 300 yards two out of 9 times this year... both against the Patriots fully "rebuilt defense".  And for the moron that keeps yapping about how giving up yards doesn't matter, it's all about points... Now you're claiming that giving up 31 points doesn't matter because they "created" four turnovers?  Let me clue you in on something, chief, not every turnover is "created" by the defense. In fact, you are the one that always says that NE turnovers are Brady's fault, as opposed to being "created" by the opposing defense.  

I'm just waiting for you to pronounce McCourty the  best safety in the NFL for catching a ball thrown to him  and that BB drafted him knowing that he would be a failed CB and he'd be moved to safety and "dominate".  

As for you not blaming Mayo or Spikes.... yeah big surprise.  When have you ever blamed anyone on BBs D for playing horribly?  Mmmmm, never?  Can we all assume you blame Brady for giving up all those rushing yards?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe it would be more accurate if it said, every QB that plays the Patriots throws for 300+ yards.....

[/QUOTE]

It's insubstantial if QBs throw for more league wide. 

There is still a threshhold, even if it moved, of what constitutes good and bad. 

We aren't (and can't) compare this defense to passing defenses from 1990. 

But we can compare it to others NOW. 

Unless you are willing to posit that rule changes ONLY affected New England, then it's a non point. 

They are still ranked 18th in scoring which is the ultimate stat.  

Bottom four in pass defense, and that plays a huge part in this. 

And let's face it, their run defense is probably over rated as it is. Yes, running up the middle is tough. But Ray Rice and Spiller have shown that you can get around NEs core by attacking the edges. 

How many teams have a defense that is good enough that their offense can come out and run the ball against an offense that scores over 30 points a week and plays with a lead 90% of the time?

NE probably is run less against than the average team, just because they don't really give other teams a chance to run the clock, or to really sit back and play conservative. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BubbaInHawaii's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's insubstantial if QBs throw for more league wide. 

There is still a threshhold, even if it moved, of what constitutes good and bad. 

We aren't (and can't) compare this defense to passing defenses from 1990. 

But we can compare it to others NOW. 

Unless you are willing to posit that rule changes ONLY affected New England, then it's a non point. 

They are still ranked 18th in scoring which is the ultimate stat.  

Bottom four in pass defense, and that plays a huge part in this. 

And let's face it, their run defense is probably over rated as it is. Yes, running up the middle is tough. But Ray Rice and Spiller have shown that you can get around NEs core by attacking the edges. 

How many teams have a defense that is good enough that their offense can come out and run the ball against an offense that scores over 30 points a week and plays with a lead 90% of the time?

NE probably is run less against than the average team, just because they don't really give other teams a chance to run the clock, or to really sit back and play conservative. 

[/QUOTE]

ZB, my only point is that BB pass defenses have always been middling. So, even if the league is pass happy due to rule changes - every team's pass defense should have worsened - but proportionately, so, the patriots pass defense ranking shouldn't have gone from 15th to 30th..., y'now? Plus, 18th in points is lower than what it has been historically. Was it that long ago the Patriots were top 10 in pts. given up? If the current patriots could get off the field on 3rd downs, stop giving up the 20+ yard receptions, and moved back to the middle of the pack in passing yardage given - would that possibly impact the number of points given up by this team?

I think we both agree the pass rush and secondary is still a problem.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

You know it is bad when the sunday night team, which inculdes Rodney, says the offense is just going to have to average 28+ points a game to win.

25. This post has been removed.