Dreadful Defence

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: Dreadful Defence

In response to ipotnyc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

THe NFL Network is starting a talent show "America's Next Top DB" - the winner gets to start in the Pats backfield if they make the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

You mean that is not how they got the guys back there now...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boy were they bad today. No way to sugar coat it or spin a positive out of it. Let's hope Talib can help. Today was their worst defensive performance maybe ever.

[/QUOTE]

What?

Look at your last sentence.  NE's D ALWAYS struggles with Fred Jackson. They failed today, but I still really like this Run D.

4 fumbles created an INT, some pressure and some sacks is not terrible at all, especially with 2 Safeties playing together for the first time.

The Cunningham strip sack set up some of this team's points in the 1st half.  

Every QB in this league throws for 300 yards, dude. No one cares about what happens between the 20s, it's what you do inside them that matter. Last time I checked, I saw TWO big turnovers inside the 20s today while our offense has its collective thumbs up their anuses in the 4th.

I refuse to blame Spikes and Mayo on awful calls nor do I blame the ball bouncing wrong for the Pats when Spikes absolutely knocked Jackson into next week.

Wake up. Everything in this league is stacked againt the Ds.

[/QUOTE]

You     need    help.

Go    get    some.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Every QB in this league throws for 300 yards, dude.

[/QUOTE]

You really are a complete tool. The average QB is throwing for 233 yards a game junior.

If any fools felt you had an iota of credibility left, they just cannot after this.

You're actually here trying to spin that this PUTRID, PISS POOR, PATHETIC game from the defense was not too bad. LMAO@U

You severely need help.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]

The Run D was bad as was Wilfork. Is he hiding an injury or was he that indifferent today. He was single covered and still did nothing.

I thought the Safety play was pretty good and not bad with two guys playing back there for the first time again. McCourty actually looks good back there. Not bad.

Pluses:

Cunningham, Dennard, Spikes

Minuses:

Wilfork, Jones, Ninkovich

Would be nice to see this offense ice one game this year in the 4th. JESUS

It's like they feel like they've done enough by moving the sticks which isn't hard with this talent.

[/QUOTE]

Agree with most of what you say, but I would move Dennard to the minus column. He seemed to give up alot of passes and yards today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I was off deer hunting the past couple of days, but I wanted to add a few stats to my comments about the Bill's game. After the Rams and London, I was pretty optimistic about the defense but sunday it took at least a couple of steps backwards. The Bills amassed 481 yards total, outgaining the Pats by almost 150 yards. In fact, the Bills had more yards than any other team in the NFL last weekend, including all of the victorious teams.  35 1st downs 7-11 on 3rd down; the run defense was shredded for 162 yards and Fitzpatrick threw for over 300 yards against the secondary. Can't figure out if it's the coaching or the talent level but this is the time of year when teams should be improving, but last sunday's effort was the worst one of the year turned in by this defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Two weeks to prepare for the Bills and that's the best effort that we can come up with. For the most part we didn't stop the Bills, they stopped themselves, in the ist half with penalties and in the 2nd they fumbled and got picked off when they had a chance to take the lead at the end of the game. To me it mostly added up to astonishly bad defense from guy who is supposed to be a defensive genius.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't put this much on the HC version. 

To rehash Babe's refrain. 

BB the GM has to carry the blame here.

The players out there in the back 4 are terrible. 

The players in the front seven are good, but not nearly good enough to make up for those other guys. Something really needs to be done. 

Let's hope Talib is as good as he has EVER been when he is ready to suit up. 

this team scored 9 against houston last week.

we stink.

the odor is strong.

the coaching is awful

genius defensive coach

genius gm

hes whiffinig on defense

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

z you are missing that much of teh front 7 did not play well today.

so  many missed tackles

no linelbnackeers can cover, so there are backs and tes open on every play

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They didn't. 

That doesn't mean they are terrible. 

The DB corps basically never, ever plays well. 

They have been nailed to the bottom of the league in pass defense metrics for years now. 

The front seven isn't great. But come on ... they have quality players up front. Jones, Fork, Mayo. Et al. 

I really, objectively, can't say I would want ANY player in NE's back four on my defense. Not a bloody one. Really. 

Whereas I would want those three in a second and wouldn't snuff at a few others.

[/QUOTE]

yes i  agree.

woudl be nice to have one lb who can cover.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

nice thread with very good contributions from all

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I take two positions.   First, the defense is what BB wants it to be, up to a point, and what BB wants isn't what most fans and the media expect.  Second, the Patriots defense looks pretty sub-par compared to many years. 

The New England defense is usually built around stopping the Jerome Bettuses of the NFL.  A huge massive nose tackle or two huge defensive tackles, some 290 pound defensive ends and three extremely heavy linebackers can plug any hole up the middle. 

No defense does everything well.  Flyweight C.J. Spiller ran around the Patriots' ends way too much.  Also, the heavy-handed approach doesn't get as many sacks as the Indianapolis Dwight Freeny and Robert Mathis blitzing approach.  If it weren't for Chandler Jones New England would be getting almost no sacks at all.  This approach tends to leave the backfield exposed. 

Under Bill Belichick's rather specialized defensive system, the defense should be giving up primarily short passes up to the 50 yard line and should hold the opponent just shy of field goal range on third down, or shy of the goal line on third down.  I assign a fairly low point value on all individual first downs that don't move the football into scoring range, especially if the ball is thrown for short passes, and I suspect that BB does also.  As a result, we see lots of long opposition drives, a few interceptions and fumbles, a few punts, and rather low opposition scoring. 

Also, the defense's mainstay, if the offense has done its job and put them up 14 points or so, is the prevent.  New England ran the prevent all of the fourth quarter and it almost failed them.  If I had to make a suggestion I'd say get some life into the Patriots' absolutely colorless vanilla prevent defense.  Then again, New England is running rookies in the backfield so they have to go plain vanilla.  At the very last second the prevent worked, but only because a Buffalo rookie receiver finally blew his job. 

I think that about half of the public's criticism of this defense is earned.  BB is starting rookies, and then they're getting injured so BB is starting some real wild cards.  That's one good reason why BB is taking a shot at Aqib Talib.  The non-criticizing other half is BB loving his prevent.  Statistically, prevent defenses and prevent offenses win a higher percentage of games than would a standard football mix of formations.  Prevents just ring up terrible yardage statistics. 

Finally, I think that the Patriots were jobbed by replacement refs in the Arizona game (the winning touchdown run was unfairly called back) and in the Baltimore game (everyone know that the Baltimore kicker missed the winning kick).  If the Pats were 8-1 only the regular boo-birds would be complaining.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I take two positions.   First, the defense is what BB wants it to be, up to a point, and what BB wants isn't what most fans and the media expect.  Second, the Patriots defense looks pretty sub-par compared to many years. 

The New England defense is usually built around stopping the Jerome Bettuses of the NFL.  A huge massive nose tackle or two huge defensive tackles, some 290 pound defensive ends and three extremely heavy linebackers can plug any hole up the middle. 

No defense does everything well.  Flyweight C.J. Spiller ran around the Patriots' ends way too much.  Also, the heavy-handed approach doesn't get as many sacks as the Indianapolis Dwight Freeny and Robert Mathis blitzing approach.  If it weren't for Chandler Jones New England would be getting almost no sacks at all.  This approach tends to leave the backfield exposed. 

Under Bill Belichick's rather specialized defensive system, the defense should be giving up primarily short passes up to the 50 yard line and should hold the opponent just shy of field goal range on third down, or shy of the goal line on third down.  I assign a fairly low point value on all individual first downs that don't move the football into scoring range, especially if the ball is thrown for short passes, and I suspect that BB does also.  As a result, we see lots of long opposition drives, a few interceptions and fumbles, a few punts, and rather low opposition scoring. 

Also, the defense's mainstay, if the offense has done its job and put them up 14 points or so, is the prevent.  New England ran the prevent all of the fourth quarter and it almost failed them.  If I had to make a suggestion I'd say get some life into the Patriots' absolutely colorless vanilla prevent defense.  Then again, New England is running rookies in the backfield so they have to go plain vanilla.  At the very last second the prevent worked, but only because a Buffalo rookie receiver finally blew his job. 

I think that about half of the public's criticism of this defense is earned.  BB is starting rookies, and then they're getting injured so BB is starting some real wild cards.  That's one good reason why BB is taking a shot at Aqib Talib.  The non-criticizing other half is BB loving his prevent.  Statistically, prevent defenses and prevent offenses win a higher percentage of games than would a standard football mix of formations.  Prevents just ring up terrible yardage statistics. 

Finally, I think that the Patriots were jobbed by replacement refs in the Arizona game (the winning touchdown run was unfairly called back) and in the Baltimore game (everyone know that the Baltimore kicker missed the winning kick).  If the Pats were 8-1 only the regular boo-birds would be complaining.

[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with your ideas in principle, but what does this defense do well? In a league, where only two teams run more than the pass (Seattle and Houston) does it still make sense to gear your defense towards stopping the run. Are there still big Jerome Bettis style running backs in the NFL anywhere?

Secondly, this idea that the Red Zone defense is good and that they hold teams to Field Goals is total fiction. They are 20th in the NFL in terms of Red Zone efficiency. They are 20th in the NFL in terms of touchdowns allowed. There are not holding teams to FGs. 

There are two rookies who have been starters all season on the defense, but the defense has not had major injuries. Chung is the only starter who was not out there on Sunday. 

I never accept the screwed by the refs argument either. The Bills could being saying the same thing about the game with week. The PI on a ball that went 5 yards out of bounds. There was a PI called on Gronk that should have been a defensive holding (that would have been 5 yards instead of 17). A couple of plays different in the Jets and Bills game and this team is 4-5.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emilycuba33. Show emilycuba33's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boy were they bad today. No way to sugar coat it or spin a positive out of it. Let's hope Talib can help. Today was their worst defensive performance maybe ever.

[/QUOTE]

What?

Look at your last sentence.  NE's D ALWAYS struggles with Fred Jackson. They failed today, but I still really like this Run D.

4 fumbles created an INT, some pressure and some sacks is not terrible at all, especially with 2 Safeties playing together for the first time.

The Cunningham strip sack set up some of this team's points in the 1st half.  

Every QB in this league throws for 300 yards, dude. No one cares about what happens between the 20s, it's what you do inside them that matter. Last time I checked, I saw TWO big turnovers inside the 20s today while our offense has its collective thumbs up their anuses in the 4th.

I refuse to blame Spikes and Mayo on awful calls nor do I blame the ball bouncing wrong for the Pats when Spikes absolutely knocked Jackson into next week.

Wake up. Everything in this league is stacked againt the Ds.

[/QUOTE]

The more time the D spends between the 20's, the less time the offense has the opportunity to score.  Time of possession not only gives us a chance of points, but gives the d a rest.