Drew Brees Is Pretty Small

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

Drew Brees Is Pretty Small

He's 6'1 200 lbs. Aside from Sanchize, most of the QB's we faced have been pretty tall.

Could this be a factor at all?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Re: Drew Brees Is Pretty Small

I'd say non-factor. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think if it were a factor it would have come out by now, he's been consistently good for several years.  It's one of the things that makes him so easy to like, the little guy who plays better than most of the big guys.

Football scouts like thier measurables and there is ceratainly evidence to back up thier reasons but there are a lot of examples of guys who outplay thier size.  Desean Jackson, Hines Ward (too slow), MJD, Montana wasn't that big either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

is he small for a qb?yes he is,but he plays like he is 8ft tall.this is part of the reason why they are 10-0.they also can put up points in chunks like the pats do.but one edge they have on us is there defense.they have only allowed 7 passing td,s this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Hand size could be a factor if he ever has to play outside in more inclement weather.  Given colder conditions where the ball would be harder to grip, a smaller hand would be at a disadvantage.  I wonder if this would still apply to Brees because I've mostly only seen him play in San Diego, in a dome, or in the warm weather of the NFC South.

I've also heard that 6'1" is generous - he's more like Braves' pitcher Greg Maddux and 49ers QB Steve Young at 5'11".

These two sayings stuck with me, though (paraphrased, not quoted precisely):
    -First thing that Bill Walsh said upon meeting Steve Young - "You're not 6'3"."
    -[Mark Mulder?] the significance of the prototype pitcher's body (tall, burly): "I'd rather be 5'10 or 5'11 and striking guys out than be 6'4 and backing up 3rd base (because the opposing team is getting extra-base hits) all the time."

I guess it doesn't really matter until proven otherwise, but keep an eye on Brees if he has to go on the road anywhere up north and play outdoors.  I'm curious to see how he does (although they'd probably just run the ball a lot).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston-assclown-police. Show boston-assclown-police's posts

SIR, INITIALLY I PLANNED ON CITING YOU FOR POSING SUCH AN UMINIFORMED QUESTION WHEN CONSIDERING OUR UPCOMING OPPONENT QB'S BODY OF WORK FOR THE PREVIOUS 3/4 SEASONS NOW. HOWEVER, I HAVE DECIDED TO LET YOU GO WITH A WARNING. YOU MAY GO NOW, BE NICE TO THE LITTLE PEOPLE. GOOD DAY...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Re: Drew Brees Is Pretty Small:
    SIR, INITIALLY I PLANNED ON CITING YOU FOR POSING SUCH AN UMINIFORMED QUESTION WHEN CONSIDERING OUR UPCOMING OPPONENT QB'S BODY OF WORK FOR THE PREVIOUS 3/4 SEASONS NOW. HOWEVER, I HAVE DECIDED TO LET YOU GO WITH A WARNING. YOU MAY GO NOW, BE NICE TO THE LITTLE PEOPLE. GOOD DAY...
    Posted by boston-assclown-police

What is an "uminiformed" question?  It must be associated with an area of Boston that I have not yet been blessed to visit.  Perhaps it comes fron the Assclown district.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

it is a mispelled word guido...there ya go smart guy...last time i stick up for your qb

Hey assclown, you misspelled mispelled, 2 esses not 1, go back to the dumb assclown academy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

well the plural form of "s" is not "esses" either dickwad...s*ck it sideways

Actually it is, esses is the plural of s but i am not responsible for your poor grammar skills. If your going to police spelling get it right, do your job. Get a dictionary dumb assclown.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"He's 6'1 200 lbs. Aside from Sanchize, most of the QB's we faced have been pretty tall."

You mean, Since Trent Edwards is 6-4 and we handled him Drew Brees should be easy for us? 

Hmm.....I'm gonna say no. Brees is the second best QB we have faced (I'll give Manning the nod for having more experience with the Pats and more ability to adjust at line of scrimmage to exploit our weaknesses). 

Perhaps there is a slightly better chance we'll swat a ball down. But gimme Trent Edwards anyday over this guy lining up against us.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I don't know.. He may be small but he's got a good arm.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

To quote the immortal Michael Scott:  "That's what she said..."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

Dear Assclown & others,

I'm sorry that you thought my question was so stupid. I was actually looking at a Saints messageboard yesterday and it was a something one of the Saints fans brought up. I hadn't thought of it, but it seemed like an interesting point. Next time I think about posting on BDC I will consider my question or commment more carefully before posting it. Sorry for any inconvenience or brain cells this cost you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

Dear Assclown & others, I'm sorry that you thought my question was so stupid. I was actually looking at a Saints messageboard yesterday and it was a something one of the Saints fans brought up. I hadn't thought of it, but it seemed like an interesting point. Next time I think about posting on BDC I will consider my question or commment more carefully before posting it. Sorry for any inconvenience or brain cells this cost you.
    Posted by KellieMB

To be serious, Brees' height should be a non-factor.  He is the second highest rated QB in the league and hasn't suddenly shrunk.  Brees has excelled despite this "handicap" for many years and there is no reason why it should suddenly become a factor this Monday.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Re: Drew Brees Is Pretty Small : To be serious, Brees' height should be a non-factor.  He is the second highest rated QB in the league and hasn't suddenly shrunk.  Brees has excelled despite this "handicap" for many years and there is no reason why it should suddenly become a factor this Monday.
    Posted by AsylumGuido

Asylum: Let me guess you are a little fellow??? Drew is the reason we win or lose Monday. If we can get to him and take him off his game we win, this will involve a successful pass rush and good coverage down field. If we do not we lose.

Leave the little man alone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

In Response to Re: Drew Brees Is Pretty Small : Asylum: Let me guess you are a little fellow??? Drew is the reason we win or lose Monday. If we can get to him and take him off his game we win, this will involve a successful pass rush and good coverage down field. If we do not we lose. Leave the little man alone.
    Posted by gmbill

Exactly why I'm worried since I don't really see ANY pass rush from the Pats. Watching the game on Sunday, it seemed like Sanchez had all day to throw. Now, his accuracy is, um a little suspect, so this wasn't a probelm, but this is what worries me the most about Monday night.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Re: Drew Brees Is Pretty Small : Asylum: Let me guess you are a little fellow??? Drew is the reason we win or lose Monday. If we can get to him and take him off his game we win, this will involve a successful pass rush and good coverage down field. If we do not we lose. Leave the little man alone.
    Posted by gmbill

Yup.  Only 6'1" myself.  If you are counting on pressuring Brees as the key to your winning you had better start preparing for a disappointing evening. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I don't know how many of you guys have watched the saints play this year but I have and i consider brees a top echelon QB despite his size. Sure he might average 4 or 5 more batted down passes in a year than a 6'4" guy, but that's insignificant.

What I saw is a guy with a rocket arm and peyton-like accuracy. the pats will have to play the full 60 minutes to come away with a W in this one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

If it was a factor he wouldn't have the stats he has. Enough said. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwsf4ever. Show wwsf4ever's posts

Hand size could be a factor if he ever has to play outside in more inclement weather.  Given colder conditions where the ball would be harder to grip, a smaller hand would be at a disadvantage.  I wonder if this would still apply to Brees because I've mostly only seen him play in San Diego, in a dome, or in the warm weather of the NFC South. I've also heard that 6'1" is generous - he's more like Braves' pitcher Greg Maddux and 49ers QB Steve Young at 5'11". These two sayings stuck with me, though (paraphrased, not quoted precisely): -First thing that Bill Walsh said upon meeting Steve Young - "You're not 6'3"." -[Mark Mulder?] the significance of the prototype pitcher's body (tall, burly): "I'd rather be 5'10 or 5'11 and striking guys out than be 6'4 and backing up 3rd base (because the opposing team is getting extra-base hits) all the time." I guess it doesn't really matter until proven otherwise, but keep an eye on Brees if he has to go on the road anywhere up north and play outdoors.  I'm curious to see how he does (although they'd probably just run the ball a lot).
    Posted by NickC1188

Drew went to School in Indiana- Purdue- A pretty cold weather college. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

It's slightly more significant when playing taller players such as 6'5" Ty Warren or 6'5" Pierre Woods who are anywhere in front of the QB.  Brees can obviously manage his height limitations pretty well against average-sized players, but every extra inch of difference (plus longer arms, plus jumping ability) creates potential tipped ball issues, which besides the added interception numbers, might reduce the QB's overall effectiveness because he needs more time to think. 

To take advantage, Pierre Woods needs to get used in a few more plays on Monday night.  Furthermore, Woods needs to stunt up the middle, not circle around to Brees's backside where his long reach won't help.  Warren needs to push a lineman straight backwards about halfway to Brees and then he needs to time his jump to bat a pass.  6'4" Mike Wright and 6'3" Wilfork can also help some. 

Brees's other short coming (I couldn't help splitting that word) is that statistically he doesn't run.  See if his aim is worse when flushed out of the pocket. 

Burgess (who has showed nothing so far, I hope it's a learning curve problem) is free to circle around to Brees's blind side and try to knock a fumble loose.  Brees's throwing hand is small and a good arm whack dislodges the ball from his hand pretty easily. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

It's slightly more significant when playing taller players such as 6'5" Ty Warren or 6'5" Pierre Woods who are anywhere in front of the QB.  Brees can obviously manage his height limitations pretty well against average-sized players, but every extra inch of difference (plus longer arms, plus jumping ability) creates potential tipped ball issues, which besides the added interception numbers, might reduce the QB's overall effectiveness because he needs more time to think.  To take advantage, Pierre Woods needs to get used in a few more plays on Monday night.  Furthermore, Woods needs to stunt up the middle, not circle around to Brees's backside where his long reach won't help.  Warren needs to push a lineman straight backwards about halfway to Brees and then he needs to time his jump to bat a pass.  6'4" Mike Wright and 6'3" Wilfork can also help some.  Brees's other short coming (I couldn't help splitting that word) is that statistically he doesn't run.  See if his aim is worse when flushed out of the pocket.  Burgess (who has showed nothing so far, I hope it's a learning curve problem) is free to circle around to Brees's blind side and try to knock a fumble loose.  Brees's throwing hand is small and a good arm whack dislodges the ball from his hand pretty easily. 
    Posted by Paul_K

Brees is one of the most mobile QB's in and around the pocket and will move to the passing lanes.  Do not think that he has never faced what you are suggesting.  If you try to bring pressure inside you will get burned by play action to the outside.  If it is a straight pass Brees adjust, along with his receivers, and roll out to the open lane.

Using your players outside of your normal defensive scheme will be more detrimental to the Pats than it will be to the Saints.  But, I do hope you are right.  After that 4th and 2 call I wouldn't put it past your play caller.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Here's the word from one of the potential blitzers himself:

“He’s on fire right now,” Banta-Cain said. “If you don’t have any water to put it out, he’s going to keep burning you up. Sorry for the analogy. But, yeah, any time you have a threat at quarterback like that, the only way to beat him is pressure.”  The article goes on to say that Drew Brees is excellent at beating the blitz and makes one extra yard per play when the opponent blitzes, but that difference apparently isn't going to deter the Patriot defense. 

One reason the Patriots might blitz Brees anyways is his light weight.  He simply isn't as heavy as the average NFL quarterback.  As an example, Brees is 209 lbs, Tom Brady is listed at 225 lbs.  When Brees gets knocked down (even if he gets off a great pass one instant before impact) he experiences higher gee forces than an average quarterback.  Given a standard hit, Brees pinballs backwards a bit faster than average and then he hits the ground a bit harder.  Seeing as how NFL players are already walking the edge of what muscles and cartilege can endure, even a little higher gee force counts for a lot.

If Brees barely completes a nine yard pass (his average when blitzing) but gets knocked down, and he barely completes another pass but gets knocked down again, and again, and again, his passing accuracy may start to suffer as the game wears on.  That may be the Patriots' plan.  Brees is key.  Brees's size makes him vulnerable to hits.  Knock him down and win? 

I assume that the Patriot players would be a bit too polite to come out and say exactly this, but they may well execute such a plan.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

Here's the word from one of the potential blitzers himself: “He’s on fire right now,” Banta-Cain said. “If you don’t have any water to put it out, he’s going to keep burning you up. Sorry for the analogy. But, yeah, any time you have a threat at quarterback like that, the only way to beat him is pressure.”  The article goes on to say that Drew Brees is excellent at beating the blitz and makes one extra yard per play when the opponent blitzes, but that difference apparently isn't going to deter the Patriot defense.  One reason the Patriots might blitz Brees anyways is his light weight.  He simply isn't as heavy as the average NFL quarterback.  As an example, Brees is 209 lbs, Tom Brady is listed at 225 lbs.  When Brees gets knocked down (even if he gets off a great pass one instant before impact) he experiences higher gee forces than an average quarterback.  Given a standard hit, Brees pinballs backwards a bit faster than average and then he hits the ground a bit harder.  Seeing as how NFL players are already walking the edge of what muscles and cartilege can endure, even a little higher gee force counts for a lot. If Brees barely completes a nine yard pass (his average when blitzing) but gets knocked down, and he barely completes another pass but gets knocked down again, and again, and again, his passing accuracy may start to suffer as the game wears on.  That may be the Patriots' plan.  Brees is key.  Brees's size makes him vulnerable to hits.  Knock him down and win?  I assume that the Patriot players would be a bit too polite to come out and say exactly this, but they may well execute such a plan.
    Posted by Paul_K

That could be a plan, but be aware that Brees is consistently one of the least sacked QB's in the league for a reason.  He may not be what you would call fast, but he has an amazing ability to avoid those hits.  By concentrating on making the hit the patriots may chaulk up a few costly late hit penalties.  Oh, and I am sure this strategy has been used before.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

That's what his girlfriend said.

Sections
Shortcuts