Drew Brees Is Pretty Small

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: Drew Brees Is Pretty Small

In Response to Re: Drew Brees Is Pretty Small:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drew Brees Is Pretty Small : That could be a plan, but be aware that Brees is consistently one of the least sacked QB's in the league for a reason.  He may not be what you would call fast, but he has an amazing ability to avoid those hits.  By concentrating on making the hit the patriots may chaulk up a few costly late hit penalties.  Oh, and I am sure this strategy has been used before.
    Posted by AsylumGuido[/QUOTE]

Yup.  If someone on a discussion board could come up with it, then someone in the NFL must have thought it out and tried it.

I still think it's important for defensive linemen to get their hands up and at least increase the level of difficulty for Brees.  While he might still do well, it's important not to let him have a free go at it - it'll make it just a little bit more difficult for him to execute on a regular basis and the one or two passes that he can't complete might be the difference in the game.

One thing I'd try to understand if I'm the Saints is the Patriots' safety blitz schemes.  Once every couple weeks, the Pats set up their gap assignments and pass rush lanes perfectly to get a safety or a slot corner a free run at the QB.  I don't think Brees can outrun McGowan/Merriweather/Chung/Wilhite and I don't think he could make McGowan or Merriweather miss.  Either way, if they can get a few guys after Brees early, it might delay his ability to get in rhythm.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drew Brees Is Pretty Small : Yup.  If someone on a discussion board could come up with it, then someone in the NFL must have thought it out and tried it. I still think it's important for defensive linemen to get their hands up and at least increase the level of difficulty for Brees.  While he might still do well, it's important not to let him have a free go at it - it'll make it just a little bit more difficult for him to execute on a regular basis and the one or two passes that he can't complete might be the difference in the game. One thing I'd try to understand if I'm the Saints is the Patriots' safety blitz schemes.  Once every couple weeks, the Pats set up their gap assignments and pass rush lanes perfectly to get a safety or a slot corner a free run at the QB.  I don't think Brees can outrun McGowan/Merriweather/Chung/Wilhite and I don't think he could make McGowan or Merriweather miss.  Either way, if they can get a few guys after Brees early, it might delay his ability to get in rhythm.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

That has been tried a few times this year, as well.  It usually resulted in a quick check down if not picked up and big plays when at least chipped.  Don't forget, a staple of Gregg Williams scheme are safety and corner blitzes.  Both starting safeties and two of our corners have been in on sacks.  The Saints offense practices against this every day.  You can expect to see it more than once every couple of games. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drew Brees Is Pretty Small : That has been tried a few times this year, as well.  It usually resulted in a quick check down if not picked up and big plays when at least chipped.  Don't forget, a staple of Gregg Williams scheme are safety and corner blitzes.  Both starting safeties and two of our corners have been in on sacks.  The Saints offense practices against this every day.  You can expect to see it more than once every couple of games. 

So, if I am reading you right, Brees has not thrown an incompletion, been sacked, thrown an INT, or even been hurried. And he can bench press over 2 metric tons.

You had better send the NFL a note to not even play this game. It looks like the Pats could get, to quote Emmitt, debacled.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drew Brees Is Pretty Small : So, if I am reading you right, Brees has not thrown an incompletion, been sacked, thrown an INT, or even been hurried. And he can bench press over 2 metric tons. You had better send the NFL a note to not even play this game. It looks like the Pats could get, to quote Emmitt, debacled.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

You are clearly not even attempting to read me right.  Of course he has been sacked, thrown picks and incompletions.  Although, the safety or corner blitzes have not been the reason for those sacks.  That was point of discussion.  Over the past two years Brees has been been amongst the least sacked QB's in the NFL.  Because of this fact he is blitzed less often than any other QB in the NFL next to Peyton Manning.

Most of Brees' sacks have come at the expense of the offensive line and those have been not too often.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AdrenalineJunkie. Show AdrenalineJunkie's posts

I have a question, it is probably dumb, but I'll ask it anyway:

When they practice, do they practice against their scheme or against what they think the other team will do? So, AsylumGuido, you say Brees practices against Williams' schemes, but what good does that do if he will not be playing against his defense?

I may have misunderstood when I listen to BB on WEEI or press conferences, but I always thought that although they practice against their D players (obviously), they don't actually practice against their own schemes, but rather the other teams, which is what makes the scout team so valuable. Is that wrong?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]I have a question, it is probably dumb, but I'll ask it anyway: When they practice, do they practice against their scheme or against what they think the other team will do? So, AsylumGuido, you say Brees practices against Williams' schemes, but what good does that do if he will not be playing against his defense? I may have misunderstood when I listen to BB on WEEI or press conferences, but I always thought that although they practice against their D players (obviously), they don't actually practice against their own schemes, but rather the other teams, which is what makes the scout team so valuable. Is that wrong?
    Posted by AdrenalineJunkie[/QUOTE]

They do both.  They have specific scout team practices, but the first team base offense regularly practices against the first team base defense.  Jon Vilma noted a couple of days ago on ESPN radio how this is helping both squads.  He said being able to face an elite offense such as the Saints' forces them to raise their performance.  It works the other way around as well.  Brees has stated how the aggressiveness of the Williams coached defensive scheme has help prepare the offense when facing those pressure packages.

The scout team work is implemented later in the week once the game plan has been more established.  I would assume most other team work about the same type of approach.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drew Brees Is Pretty Small : You are clearly not even attempting to read me right.  Of course he has been sacked, thrown picks and incompletions.  Although, the safety or corner blitzes have not been the reason for those sacks.  That was point of discussion.  Over the past two years Brees has been been amongst the least sacked QB's in the NFL.  Because of this fact he is blitzed less often than any other QB in the NFL next to Peyton Manning. Most of Brees' sacks have come at the expense of the offensive line and those have been not too often.

Brees has been sacked 13 times this year, Brady 14.  Brees has thrown 9 ints, Brady 6.  Oh and speaking of ints, the Pats lead the NFL in turnover differential.  I think we need to play this game on the field!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

The Pats should have resigned Terdell Sands, all 6' 8" of him and paid him $100,000 to jump up and down with his hands up in front of Brees.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I actually cannot believe this thread is still active. 

Someone please tell me how this man's height has had a negative effect on his team?  Otherwise, let the thread die.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats should have resigned Terdell Sands, all 6' 8" of him and paid him $100,000 to jump up and down with his hands up in front of Brees.
    Posted by harleyroadking103[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes, the Jumping Jack Flash defense.  Terdell Sands?  Sounds like something you would pour into a catbox.

Undecided

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

[QUOTE]I actually cannot believe this thread is still active.  Someone please tell me how this man's height has had a negative effect on his team?  Otherwise, let the thread die.
    Posted by underdoggg[/QUOTE]

I actually cannot believe someone would spell dog with 3 gs. And as the saying goes if you don't like it ignore it.