DT Depth Chart

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

DT Depth Chart

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4764909/re-setting-the-patriots-dt-personnel" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4764909/re-setting-the-patriots-dt-personnel

Here's a look at the team's defensive tackle depth chart entering 2014 training camp (updated from a mid-June blog entry):

Vince Wilfork (6-2, 325): Captain and 11-year veteran is making progress in his return from a ruptured Achilles last September. Looks to be moving well.

Tommy Kelly (6-6, 310): Another 11-year veteran, he took another step in his return from a torn ACL by participating in 11-on-11 drills at mandatory minicamp.

Dominique Easley (6-2, 288): First-round draft choice is coming off two torn ACLs in a span of three seasons, suffered in college, and joined his teammates on the field for the first time on the final day of June's mandatory minicamp.

Chris Jones (6-1, 309) Second-year player was claimed on waivers last year and led all Patriots defensive tackles in snaps played in 2013. Best when penetrating.

Sealver Siliga (6-2, 325): After a slow start to his career, the run-stuffer looks like he has built some momentum as a developmental prospect behind Wilfork.

Joe Vellano (6-2, 300): Hard-working second-year player from Maryland is a lunch-pail type of guy who plays with top effort.

Marcus Forston (6-3, 305): Second-year player has spent multiple seasons on the practice squad and has filled in when injuries hit.

L.T. Tuipulotu (6-1, 305): Undrafted free agent from Utah is on the developmental track.

Seali'i Epenesa (6-1, 310): Undrafted free agent from UCLA is on the developmental track.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

Re: DT Depth Chart

The pessimistic part of me thinks half of these guys will be on IR by October. 

"I swear it upon Zues the most exceptional runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler"  Socrates

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hopefully they stay healthy. Really, the first 3 scare me as odds are we might only get 1 full season worth of a player out of that group total (what I mean is Wilfork and Kelly won't be 100% for the full season but maybe combined games will add up, 1 might never fully recover or get reinjured, and Easley is a rook recovering from injury so this could be half a red shirt season). If something happens to those front 3 we could see a repeat of last year which turned out to be one of the worst DT groups in the league. It's most likely why the Pats were still looking to add another vet DT presence the last month or so.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to Tydog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The pessimistic part of me thinks half of these guys will be on IR by October. 

"I swear it upon Zues the most exceptional runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler"  Socrates

[/QUOTE]

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Vince and Kelly get to the break without being IR'ed and freaking overjoyed if they make it through the year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Cut everyone below Siliga, play him heavy minutes in rotation with Vince and Kelly in the middle.  Easley will have to prove he can stand up vs the run at the NFL level, whether he was worth a 1st round pick is dependent on him either standing up to the run or sacking in double digits, if he can't do either he should have been a 3rd rounder or later.

Save Chris Jones for 3rd and long or rotate him at defensive end because he is only effective against the run when facing tightends and smaller blockers, guards swallow him whole.  If he can become respectable against the run and become a situational sacker it will give him a Mike Wright role with us.

Pray for health and draft a young stud next year. Our defensive prospects look dim without Vince and/or Kelly but we'll have a top three defense with them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Cut everyone below Siliga, play him heavy minutes in rotation with Vince and Kelly in the middle.  Easley will have to prove he can stand up vs the run at the NFL level, whether he was worth a 1st round pick is dependent on him either standing up to the run or sacking in double digits, if he can't do either he should have been a 3rd rounder or later.

Save Chris Jones for 3rd and long or rotate him at defensive end because he is only effective against the run when facing tightends and smaller blockers, guards swallow him whole.  If he can become respectable against the run and become a situational sacker will give him a Mike Wright role with us.

Pray for health and draft a young stud next year. Our defensive prospects look dim without Vince and/or Kelly but we'll have a top three defense with them.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think you pretty much nailed in Wozzy. I'm a bit concerned with Siliga playing heavy reps but in a Love type of role he'd be fine (wish for someone a bit more reliable though). I think you have it right about Jones. He's a pure perpetrator that could develop into an ok run supporter. Use him on 3rd downs only to get to the QB. What worries me is that he really only had 1.5 moves. Quickness was a big part of it so limiting his reps should help but he really needs to develop a couple more moves otherwise as in last year once teams got film on him he didn't sniff the QB. Maybe Easley can help him out with that. But really Siliga and Jones should be Love and Wright types. Good on 30-40% of snaps but if you over use them they will fall apart. Wish we had one more capable band-aid to hold us over till next years draft but I can see us moving forward with 5 guys and using Nink as an emergency rush DT if Smith or Moore steps up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

1/2: Kelly & Vince

3: Easley

4: Siliga

5: Chris Jones

cut the rest

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The five Wozzy picks are certainly the leading candidates for interior defensive linemen.  

It will be interesting to see what BB does with the front seven this year.  In some ways, you can't look at any front seven position in isolation, because who you keep at DT will depend on what schemes you are planning to use regularly and who you are therefore keeping at DE and even the LB positions.  Positions seem less and less rigid or relevant today given the flexibility and variation in schemes now used in the NFL. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Woz - Easley's value will be as a disruptor not an imovable object or every down pass rusher. His first step(s) will force offenses to think about how to handle him. If they can double team him it should significantly reduce his impact outside of drawing the extra man. But if next to a Vinny and or a Chandler Jones the cost of doubling him is MUCH more expensive. So his impact could be felt at times by the improved effectiveness of those on either side of him.

My point is dont assess him in just the way you suggest.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Woz - Easley's value will be as a disruptor not an imovable object or every down pass rusher. His first step(s) will force offenses to think about how to handle him. If they can double team him it should significantly reduce his impact outside of drawing the extra man. But if next to a Vinny and or a Chandler Jones the cost of doubling him is MUCH more expensive. So his impact could be felt at times by the improved effectiveness of those on either side of him.

[/QUOTE]

"Disruptor"... how do you quantify that?

Either he can hold up against the run the way other undersized DT's have in the past using leverage (Henry Thomas, John Randle come to mind) and/or he racks up QB hurries and sacks as an interior pass rusher.  

Otherwise we already have this player on the roster in Chris Jones and didn't have to expend a first round pick to acquire him.

Draft picks regardless of their position in the draft are like all young players, they have to make the team and prove their worth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Either he can hold up against the run the way other undersized DT's have in the past using leverage (Henry Thomas, John Randle come to mind) and/or he racks up QB hurries and sacks as an interior pass rusher.  

Otherwise we already have this player on the roster in Chris Jones and didn't have to expend a first round pick to acquire him.

Draft picks regardless of their position in the draft are like all young players, they have to make the team and prove their worth.

[/QUOTE]

Easley=ChJones last year moving inside on passing downs

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There was little to no disruption there, after Wilfork and Kelly went down there was no interior disruption at all outside of Chris Jones and only in flashes.  What I was asking Prolate was how do you measure success for a defensive tackle when he's already told us Easley won't stuff the run nor rush the passer?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There was little to no disruption there, after Wilfork and Kelly went down there was no interior disruption at all outside of Chris Jones and only in flashes.  What I was asking Prolate was how do you measure success for a defensive tackle when he's already told us Easley won't stuff the run nor rush the passer?

[/QUOTE]

I am agreeing with you, and I questioned Easley after the draft due to his size and was lambasted here. Wouldnt surprise me if Easley ends up at DE 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You mean portfolio, right?  I pretty much agree with you here.  Easley's not likely to be an immovable object, so he's going to have to prove his value with athleticism in both the passing and running games. He's going to have to penetrate in the passing game and get off blocks and tackle the runner in the gap. He's not going to two gap much, I don't think.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Vellano ain't going anywhere.  Not with both vince and kelly being older.  Plus, they love his work ethic and motor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You mean portfolio, right?  I pretty much agree with you here.  Easley's not likely to be an immovable object, so he's going to have to prove his value with athleticism in both the passing and running games. He's going to have to penetrate in the passing game and get off blocks and tackle the runner in the gap. He's not going to two gap much, I don't think.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, got my P's mixed up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Vellano ain't going anywhere.  Not with both vince and kelly being older.  Plus, they love his work ethic and motor.

[/QUOTE]

I see him on the PS.

5 DTs is quite enough... Kelly, Vince, Easley, Siliga and Jones.

6 DTs is a little much but we shall see

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I see him on the PS.

[/QUOTE]

Again, don't read into designation of the position, similar to how BB could list Develin as a TE even though he is a FB.

Or, Browner who is more like a Safety for example, but might be listed as a CB.

Easley could easily be listed as a DE here with Buchanon, Smith, Jones and Nink for 5 spots.

Easley is not a big guy.   He's more of a 3rd down DT and a possible 3 down DE in the future.  BB loves versatility, so don't read into the count of bodies at one spot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Reiss thinks 10 is the number;

DT Vince Wilfork
    DT Tommy Kelly
    DT Dominique Easley
    DT Chris Jones
    DT Sealver Siliga
    DE Chandler Jones
    DE Rob Ninkovich
    DE Will Smith
    DE Michael Buchanan
    DE Zach Moore

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I see him on the PS.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Vellano can't go on PS. Already played too many games on the 53man

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Reiss thinks 10 is the number;

DT Vince Wilfork
    DT Tommy Kelly
    DT Dominique Easley
    DT Chris Jones
    DT Sealver Siliga
    DE Chandler Jones
    DE Rob Ninkovich
    DE Will Smith
    DE Michael Buchanan
    DE Zach Moore

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

looks about right

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If that's the 10 (and I can't think of a viable alternative) I'm good with that (not that it makes a rat's a_ss what I'm good with).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If that's the 10 (and I can't think of a viable alternative) I'm good with that (not that it makes a rat's a_ss what I'm good with).

[/QUOTE]

Well it does. This board is for everyone's opinions, regardless how much they are shouted down by the moronic few

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am agreeing with you, and I questioned Easley after the draft due to his size and was lambasted here. Wouldnt surprise me if Easley ends up at DE 

[/QUOTE]

I can't see Easley at end, he's short and everything I've read says he can't play there. And I've watched him at end and I agree. Will he play end? I'm sure he will if we need him to, but that may take away from what he is so good at...penetrating inside. Belichick's been wanting someone to do that for a long time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can't see Easley at end, he's short and everything I've read says he can't play there. And I've watched him at end and I agree. Will he play end? I'm sure he will if we need him to, but that may take away from what he is so good at...penetrating inside. Belichick's been wanting someone to do that for a long time.

[/QUOTE]

Watching Easleys game tape, and the number he wore on his uni, I thought he looked like a big S!

Sections
Shortcuts