DT Roy Miller

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: DT Roy Miller

NFL.com reports free agent DT Roy Miller will reach the open market. Talks "broke off" last week, and apparently won't restart before next Tuesday. Miller is gambling on himself after being a part of the Bucs' historically good 2012 run defense, but may find his market surprisingly cold. He graded out poorly in Pro Football Focus' ratings, and comes off the field in passing situations.     Proceed with caution...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Would he be an upgrade over say Love, well maybe more consistent in the run game but would he be an overall upgrade.... not really.

Given the players who were tagged already, our best shot to upgrade the spot next to Wilfork will come through an extremely talented and deep DT draft

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Would he be an upgrade over say Love, well maybe more consistent in the run game but would he be an overall upgrade.... not really.

Given the players who were tagged already, our best shot to upgrade the spot next to Wilfork will come through an extremely talented and deep DT draft

Exactly, and I honestly think Love is better in run support.  Pats need a pass-rush presence next to Wilfork. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pats have a given for a couple of more years with Vince. They have 2 solid rotational players in Deadrick and Lovie for one more year each. They have an unknown in Armstead. I think they have to sign or draft 2 more players to compete on the interior.

I like Cunningham and Francis both on the outside with Nink and Jones. I assume it then comes down to either Bequette or Scott resigning.

Top tier quality=Vince, but will start to decline as he is over 30

Great potential=Jones

Solid player (but did have some down games this season)=Nink

Rotational depth=Lovie, Deadrick, Cunningham

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Pats have a given for a couple of more years with Vince. They have 2 solid rotational players in Deadrick and Lovie for one more year each. They have an unknown in Armstead. I think they have to sign or draft 2 more players to compete on the interior.

I like Cunningham and Francis both on the outside with Nink and Jones. I assume it then comes down to either Bequette or Scott resigning.

Top tier quality=Vince, but will start to decline as he is over 30

Great potential=Jones

Solid player (but did have some down games this season)=Nink

Rotational depth=Lovie, Deadrick, Cunningham

I completely agree which leaves one glaring hole at DT next to Vince to start. If they plug in a starter, either via pick #29 or FA, I think the DL is good to good. They have solid players all around and good depth but none of that will matter if Vince gets doubled every game and they can't develop an interior rush to prevent QB's from stepping up/around the edge rushers

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Well, I didnt say the sky is falling. I also didnt say Vince would not retire a Pat. What I said is that at his age(32 years old to start the season) he most likely has 2 maybe 3 years left at his current performance level. If you want to count on Vince being dominant at 35 years old and older, go right ahead.

I also said Lovie and Deadrick were only signed thru this year

Lastly, I said Armstead was an unkown...

Clearly, to everyone but you, the Pats could use additional interior depth either via free agency or the draft, perhaps both.

You started this thread with "DT Roy Miller", so apparently you also feel there is a need...

Once again, you put words in someones mouth that were never said

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I wonder what Canty and Jenkins are finding in terms of money. They both probably have a few years of good performance left and if the money was right I could see some Pats interest. I doubt either are going to see big money and they might be good transition pieces while draft picks develop behind them. With the draft being thought of as deep in DTs I doubt there is much money being shown to FAs

The other player I am curious about is Dorsey - he is a 'bust' high round pick that might just suprise folks in a different situation. KC over the course of his tenure has been a mess with rotating coaches and systems. On a better team with stability he might be a bargain find and I think he will be cheap, and if he does blossom he is still young. Playing next to Wilfork on a 4 man line might up his production.

I want a 1st or 2nd round DT in the draft, but wouldn't mind a decent vet being brought in as well.

Sections
Shortcuts