Dungy Thoughts ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Re: Dungy Thoughts ?

In response to jjbag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ronk1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dungy is not the only one to express the distraction issues. It was speculated Sam would be drafted by BB because BB could handle the distractions.

I know camp is just getting under way, but have I missed something? Is Sam even a thought, never mind an issue, in Rams camp?

[/QUOTE]

The whole point of the post initially was to point out the hypocrisy / Bigotry of Dungy, when looking at his comments about Sam being a media distraction to a team, when he was all for the NFL/Teams giving Michael(dog killer) Vick a chance for redemption, when we all knew what a distraction and media circus that was going to be and was.

[/QUOTE]

but it is not hypocrisy if Dungy feels Vick would not be a distraction but Sam would be...which evidently that is how he feels.

I would have to agree with him on this. I would have to think NFL players would think the same way

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Dungy is not the only one to express the distraction issues. It was speculated Sam would be drafted by BB because BB could handle the distractions.

I know camp is just getting under way, but have I missed something? Is Sam even a thought, never mind an issue, in Rams camp?

[/QUOTE]

The whole point of the post initially was to point out the hypocrisy / Bigotry of Dungy, when looking at his comments about Sam being a media distraction to a team, when he was all for the NFL/Teams giving Michael(dog killer) Vick a chance for redemption, when we all knew what a distraction and media circus that was going to be and was.

[/QUOTE]

but it is not hypocrisy if Dungy feels Vick would not be a distraction but Sam would be...which evidently that is how he feels.

I would have to agree with him on this. I would have to think NFL players would think the same way

[/QUOTE]

I guess I look at the world different then, I personally think a gay player on a team would not be a distraction at least not after the first week of training camp, these players are way ahead of old folks on gay acceptance. I think we as fans are putting our insecurities on teams where there are none. When I speak with my children and my nieces and nephews I get a whole different sense of there priorities where sexual preference is not something they even consider a noteworthy event. Which makes me smile and gives me hope about the future.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Again the reason he(Dungy) deserve such scrutiny now is he was all for Michael(dog killer) Vic getting a chance for redemption even with that media circus and locker room angst. (trust me, I'm sure there were a lot of players who despise and despised him for being a dog killer , more so that worrying about some gay player) but yet he is saying he wouldn't do it because of the "media circus" someone's orientation would bring? The only reason anyone would do such an about face on taking a chance on a player is based of bigotry or prejudice. That's what this is about, calling out Dungy for what he really is.

IMO, Dungy's views on the two are different.

Vick was punished and served his sentence. Dungy felt he deserved a second chance - as did other fans, coaches, and other NFL owners. There were others who disagreed. Who cares?

What does that opinion have to do with  Sam? Nothing. His quote was simply misinterpreted by you and a handful of other readers who want to discuss an "ism"

Some folks, I'm sure, didn't want to deal with the media circus involving Tebow. What "ism" category does he fall under?  He was just a lousy QB is how I see it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I think Dungy is ignorant and hypocritical, and that is sad.  I'm not seeing bigotry at least in his comments.  

The facts are a few years from now, no one will lift an eyebrow over an openly gay whatever.  

"Can't we all just get along?"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Dungy is ignorant and hypocritical, and that is sad.  I'm not seeing bigotry at least in his comments.  

The facts are a few years from now, no one will lift an eyebrow over an openly gay whatever.  

"Can't we all just get along?"

[/QUOTE]

But he is a bigot by definition - Bigotry is the state of mind of someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust or hatred on the basis of a person's ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

His prejudices make him a bigot, when he needs to point out that the reason he wouldn't want him on his team is based off having to deal with the media circus, which he was just fine with that for Michael (dog killer) Vick. The only difference between that media circus and this one is based off someone's sexual orientation. Being prejudice = Bigot, though usually bigots keep it to themselves and there family, where those with prejudices usually are more public with it by there actions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Please! Those are your interpretations and extrapolations.  He says TTE Sam has the right to play in the league.  He wouldn't have drafted him and there would be issues - That's IT! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I haven't read this entire thread, but comparing Vick to Sam to crucify Dungy seems misguided to me.  The media coverage of Sam is way more intense (and unlike with Vick it is doubtful it is going away anytime soon).  More importantly you expose yourself to all sorts of questions if he doesn't make the team (whereas no one would have batted an eye if Vick was cut in 2009 by the Eagles).  I think what was implicit in Dungy's statement is that Michael Sam isn't talented enough to justify bringing in the media distraction (a sentiment that was probably shared by a lot of current NFL GMs).  If Clowney was the one who was gay he still would have gone 1st overall.  Vick for all his faults has way more raw football talent than Sam has (he did go 1st overall for a reason).  I don't think saying you would have brought in Vick in 2009 and not brought in Sam today makes you a bigot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I haven't read this entire thread, but comparing Vick to Sam to crucify Dungy seems misguided to me.  The media coverage of Sam is way more intense (and unlike with Vick it is doubtful it is going away anytime soon).  More importantly you expose yourself to all sorts of questions if he doesn't make the team (whereas no one would have batted an eye if Vick was cut in 2009 by the Eagles).  I think what was implicit in Dungy's statement is that Michael Sam isn't talented enough to justify bringing in the media distraction (a sentiment that was probably shared by a lot of current NFL GMs).  If Clowney was the one who was gay he still would have gone 1st overall.  Vick for all his faults has way more raw football talent than Sam has (he did go 1st overall for a reason).  I don't think saying you would have brought in Vick in 2009 and not brought in Sam today makes you a bigot.

[/QUOTE]

No offense, but you and others are missing the point of all of this:

Sam clearly went through some things as an openly gay player at Missouri, as have any players, male and female who were told not not be themselves and simply live their lives the best they know how.    Clearly, and I mean CLEARLY, he is a trailblazer like Jackie Robinson or the first female anything to be considered a male equal.

Got it?

This whole thing will make hundreds and thousands (decades later) of people's lives easier to get from high school football to college and into the NFL who just so happen to be gay.  It's just that simple.  Wake up and smell the roses.

Maybe you need some culture in Chicago? Are you in the burbs or the city? You never answered me. lol

Since you're a bit young, you probably just need some culture to realize there is more in this world than the simple things in front of you.

This isn't about him promoting himself in the NFL, it's about sacrificing himself to make it easier for people just like him to go through the process just like someone like a Jackie Robinson.  Jackie was clearly black and a minority and Sam clearly gay and an athlete trying to pretend to be something who he wasn't to comply with what the public thinks the NFL wants.

God forbid an American college athlete be a real, genuine person instead of feeling forced to pretend.

All men are created equal. Remember?

Please wake up. 

I commend jjbag for stepping forward and I am uncomfortable watching the obvious, creepy bigotry on display in this thread.     The people who are bigots don't even know they are.  Creepy.

Dungy can walk in front of a truck tomorrow and I celebrate his death.  People like that are absolutely disgusting and have no place on earth, and especially in this country.

Good evening.

PS Tony Dungy has re-arranged the definition of a hypocrite.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Michael Sam's combine was dreadful, people avoided drafting him because he is weak, immobile and has average speed.  

The only reason he was drafted at all is because he is gay. Guess who is #3 right now in jersey sales in the NFL; Sam the Ram.

The same way I told you Tim Tebow was a non-football story years ago I'm telling you this here now, Sam is a PR stunt.  He has no future in the NFL, will flame out, do the talk show circuit and end up on the Logo network as the gay Michael Strahan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

So our favorite Manning coddler Dungy, just made the statement that if he was a coach he wouldn't have drafted Michael Sam due to his Homosexuality would cause a media circus around his team. Yet he was all for bringing back a Dog killer and the media circus that brought. My thoughts are Dungy is a tool always was always will be, he was a good assistant as a D coach, but with all the talent he had in both Tampa then Indy and he could only win 1 super bowl shows you he was never a great head coach. Now with these statements shows you what a bigot he actually is.

Other Views?

[/QUOTE]

I dont have much of an opinion of the man personally. I dont pay attention to players off field, never mind a coach. What I do have an opinion on is why people still feel the need to give Ish to M.Vick for dog fighting. Folks talk about it like its the worst thing in the world and forget half the NFL players were attending, partaking and condoning it. People act like he went out and just killed dogs. He had dogs fight each other and they put the one that lost down most times. I dont fight dogs but last I checked, Pit Bulls like fighting and how they act is based on how the owner chooses to raise them. They had owners.

Ok so let me make my point. Why is it the worst thing ever that Mike Vick fought some dogs and some were killed YET there are plenty of non black people who go to places like Africa and Kill precious animals like Lions, Elephants and all that and pose with them in pictures and put their heads on mantels? So when a black person kills a dog, he goes to jail. When a white person kills a Lion, its called game and they praise that person??!!

Ok Got it.

Just because some people love dogs, kiss them, sleep with them and some perverts even have intimate relations with them does not make them any better than the next animal. That is my opinion.

I dont see how you guys dont see it. M.Sam coming out was just another agenda driven propaganda to influence future young blacks to be gay. Sounds crazy?!!  Well how many famous white folks you see coming out recently compared to blacks?  M.Sam, J.Collins, the list goes on and they are always praised on a national level.  There is a lot of F*ckery in place in this world. I know because I see the results in my community daily. Most the kids I see now a days are either hard core, wanna be gangsters or just Gay. There is no inbetween. I see the boys coming up now, they all seem to be feminine. Personally I am sick of people forcing their sexual preferences on people. You choose to be gay? Fine, keep it to yourself. Thats the difference in cultures I see. White folks can just be gay. Black folks have to be all dramatic and flamboyant and feel the need to "come out"

Its really sickening.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lion+killed+by+game+hunter&client=firefox-a&hs=sh1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=S7TOU-a_DMzMsQTapoLYBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1637&bih=668" rel="nofollow">https://www.google.com/search?q=lion+killed+by+game+hunter&client=firefox-a&hs=sh1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=S7TOU-a_DMzMsQTapoLYBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1637&bih=668" rel="nofollow">https://www.google.com/search?q=lion+killed+by+game+hunter&client=firefox-a&hs=sh1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=S7TOU-a_DMzMsQTapoLYBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1637&bih=668

Does everyone condone this behavior above? 

[/QUOTE]

No, I don't see any of the above. But I do see an entirely clueless, likely bigoted ignoramus. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Sam clearly went through some things as an openly gay player at Missouri, as have any players, male and female who were told not not be themselves and simply live their lives the best they know how.    Clearly, and I mean CLEARLY, he is a trailblazer like Jackie Robinson or the first female anything to be considered a male equal.

Got it?

This whole thing will make hundreds and thousands (decades later) of people's lives easier to get from high school football to college and into the NFL who just so happen to be gay.  It's just that simple.  Wake up and smell the roses.

Maybe you need some culture in Chicago? Are you in the burbs or the city? You never answered me. lol

Since you're a bit young, you probably just need some culture to realize there is more in this world than the simple things in front of you.

This isn't about him promoting himself in the NFL, it's about sacrificing himself to make it easier for people just like him to go through the process just like someone like a Jackie Robinson.  Jackie was clearly black and a minority and Sam clearly gay and an athlete trying to pretend to be something who he wasn't to comply with what the public thinks the NFL wants.

God forbid an American college athlete be a real, genuine person instead of feeling forced to pretend.

Please wake up. 

I commend jjbag for stepping forward and I am uncomfortable watching the obvious, creepy bigotry on display in this thread.     The people who are bigots don't even know they are.  Creepy.

Dungy can walk in front of a truck tomorrow and I celebrate his death.  People like that are absolutely disgusting and have no place on earth, and especially in this country.

Good evening.

Getting called a bigot by a guy that says he would celebrate the death of another person doesn't particularly bother me Rusty.  You should change your name to Strawman King because you are attributing all sorts of opinions to me that have no basis in reality.  Hitting the bottle a little early bud?

Things I never said:

• Gay athletes should have to pretend they are straight

• Sam came out as a publicity stunt

• Tony Dungy isn't a bigot

My only point was Dungy saying he wouldn't draft Sam, but supporting Vick doesn't make him a bigot.  Although I am sure given his religious views he probably is one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Got it?

Please wake up. 

Good evening.

[/QUOTE]

Getting called a bigot by a guy that says he would celebrate the death of another person doesn't particularly bother me Rusty.  You should change your name to Strawman King because you are attributing all sorts of opinions to me that have no basis in reality.  Hitting the bottle a little early bud?

Things I never said:

• Gay athletes should have to pretend they are straight

• Sam came out as a publicity stunt

• Tony Dungy isn't a bigot

My only point was Dungy saying he wouldn't draft Sam, but supporting Vick doesn't make him a bigot.  Although I am sure given his religious views he probably is one.

[/QUOTE]

Well, I believe the world is certainly better off without those in it who try to ruin it for others. So yes, if Dungy got hit by a truck today, I think the world would be a better place.  You keep showing how badly you're missing Dungy's hypocrisy here.

How can you not see him thinking Vick torturing dogs as a straight man as just fine and dandy and some cultural misunderstanding, while Sam, being himself and blazing a trail for others, bravely so, is not a phony like Vick and Dungy?

Each Vick and DUngy are in love with themselves and delusional.  Vick is a college graduate and he thought it was normal to have a concentration camp for dogs across many states a la Adolf Hitler? Really? So, while all his classmates take their dogs to the park, he goes off into the woods to watch dogs kill each other for entertainment and relaxation? Do ya think Dungy had his bible handy teaching Vick lessons before or after Vick realized he is a cuckoo bird?

It's all an act with them. Meanwhile, Sam is as real and genuine as they come.  And, he's brave.  He knows he didn't have to do that, but he didn't want those social barriers holding back others that come after him.

Life is about progressing, being a good person and moving forward. Dungy does NONE of that and hides behind a bible because he is an insecure loser.  To top it off, he uses his media platform to tell the public how it should be, which makes it worse.

You're completely daft if you think Dungy isn't a bigot along with some in this thread.  The fact Sam being gay is still an issue in society to this day enough for it to be an issue, should tell you all you need to know.

It's 2014 and we're still talking about this because of the Dungys and people like you who pretend Dungy is just fine confirming the idea that bigotry is alive and well and the fact Sam might be gay or confirms he is gay, is a way to discriminate for sanctimonius, religious tools like Dungy. Or, you clearly showing you don't get Dungy's hypocrisy with his son's suicide and taking more time to invest in Vick than his own son.

Are you kidding me here? He's a walking disgrace and should have nothing to say on the matter whatsoever.

His own son killed himself over it and Dungy still doesn't get it.  People like Dungy are the problem.  They live in these little scary bubbles and hide behind the bible thinking that is the end all be all of solutions to problems.

Living your life behind a bible is disturbing, especially when it's put above reality, truth and logic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

I have read each comment on this thread, and still feel people are misreading it..

Dungy thought Vick deserved a second chance. Period. That does not mean he approves of what Vick did

Dungy is supportive of Sam and sees him as a trail blazer. Dungy would be weary of other peoples misconception of a gay football player, including fans, media and NFL players, and as a head coach does not feel Sam is worth the distraction as a player to deal with OTHER PEOPLES issues with a gay NFL player.

that does not mean Dungy is a bigot. That does not mean Dungy is anti gay. That does not mean Dungy is anti Sam.

if they were going to tell the truth, I am willing to bet that at least 25 NFL coaches would say the same thing

that being said, if Clowney came out and said he was gay, I am also willing to bet that Dungy and every other NFL coach would have no problem dealing with the distraction

translation: everyone supports Sam, but his abilities as a player are not worth dealing with OTHER PEOPLES issues

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

I have read each comment on this thread, and still feel people are misreading it..

Dungy thought Vick deserved a second chance. Period. That does not mean he approves of what Vick did

Dungy is supportive of Sam and sees him as a trail blazer. Dungy would be weary of other peoples misconception of a gay football player, including fans, media and NFL players, and as a head coach does not feel Sam is worth the distraction as a player to deal with OTHER PEOPLES issues with a gay NFL player.

that does not mean Dungy is a bigot. That does not mean Dungy is anti gay. That does not mean Dungy is anti Sam.

if they were going to tell the truth, I am willing to bet that at least 25 NFL coaches would say the same thing

that being said, if Clowney came out and said he was gay, I am also willing to bet that Dungy and every other NFL coach would have no problem dealing with the distraction

translation: everyone supports Sam, but his abilities as a player are not worth dealing with OTHER PEOPLES issues

[/QUOTE]

You are not getting it either.  Dungy saying what he is saying, plays into this supposed "distraction" that he is talking about, which is clearly ironic, when the moron could not even accept his own son who then committed suicide over it.

The mere fact that Dungy thinks people respect him and his word is gospel is also a problem and has been for years.

I smell a major phony who is a religious tool first and foremost, and some buy into that and follow his every word like brainwashed idiots.

So, yeah, I think Dungy is playing into a "distraction" when there really shouldn't be one by MOST of the NFL and its fans.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I am particularly amused by the knee jerk reactions from those who so ardently oppose such reactions from others.  Of course, and in particular, we all know who I am talking about. 

Football's just around the corner. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Reading all the prior posts, I get confused by all the various issues covered that don't relate to what Dungy was supposed to have said.   I do agree with him that drafting a homosexual football player you have to expect the various distractions that comes with it.    Sam is a 7th rd pick and a novelty to the media.   31 other teams passed on him almost 7 times and I would guess that they felt the same way as Dungy. 

God loves you all even with all the crap that is said here

JustSaying

Always Right.....at least in my mind

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reading all the prior posts, I get confused by all the various issues covered that don't relate to what Dungy was supposed to have said.   I do agree with him that drafting a homosexual football player you have to expect the various distractions that comes with it.    Sam is a 7th rd pick and a novelty to the media.   31 other teams passed on him almost 7 times and I would guess that they felt the same way as Dungy. 

JustSaying

[/QUOTE]

To touch on this a little, why did the 31 other teams pass on him that many times, was it because he wasn't talented enough? Or was it due to him being Gay? Look this is the same NFL that took a QB that was known to be of little talent passing the ball but espoused the greatest of "Christian" qualities in the first round! I've seen a lot of people questioning the kids talent due to a bad Combine.

Do you know how many "Bad Combine" players there are out there in the NFL as great players! I'm glad the NFL is busting it up over an open Gay player right now, it needs to be busted up. And I'm also tired of how a SEC D lineman goes from SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year,first-team All-American, named a semifinalist for the Chuck Bednarik Award, the Hendricks Award, and the Lombardi Award.

But do to a bad combine he goes to being an untalented player who is only getting his shot because he came out. That Shows you how bigotry still rules this nation, now instead of it upon black people we are doing it to those with a different sexual orientation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am particularly amused by the knee jerk reactions from those who so ardently oppose such reactions from others.  Of course, and in particular, we all know who I am talking about. 

Football's just around the corner. 

[/QUOTE]

i have known dungy to be a hypocrite for a decade.  This is not knee jerk at all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

I really don't care about Michael Sam being gay however I will say this, it's a tremendous amount of attention for what i've seen to be a very average prospect and that's at best. I hope the guy proves me wrong but he's bound to be causing uneaseiness with some of the bigger names on the team....not because of his sexual preference but because there are some huge egos in the NFL. Fisher is a great coach and I honestly wouldn't doubt that they took a punt on Sam to take all of the media attention away from their "franchise" QB for one offseason at least!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

JustSaying

[/QUOTE]

To touch on this a little, why did the 31 other teams pass on him that many times, was it because he wasn't talented enough? Or was it due to him being Gay? Look this is the same NFL that took a QB that was known to be of little talent passing the ball but espoused the greatest of "Christian" qualities in the first round! I've seen a lot of people questioning the kids talent due to a bad Combine.

Do you know how many "Bad Combine" players there are out there in the NFL as great players! I'm glad the NFL is busting it up over an open Gay player right now, it needs to be busted up. And I'm also tired of how a SEC D lineman goes from SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year,first-team All-American, named a semifinalist for the Chuck Bednarik Award, the Hendricks Award, and the Lombardi Award.

But do to a bad combine he goes to being an untalented player who is only getting his shot because he came out. That Shows you how bigotry still rules this nation, now instead of it upon black people we are doing it to those with a different sexual orientation.

[/QUOTE

are you in another country??   Bigotry/ racism doesn't rule my country!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Tony Dungheap needs to review history.....some distractions are worth the effort for the betterment of sport and society...like say Jackie Robinson.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

To the few who said tonys son committed suicide cause he was gay and Tony didn't accept him.Where did you guys hear this source please or is this just a made up thing by people on bdc? The whole Sam thing is all blown , the Rams will be screwed in the media if they cut Sam.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Apparently belichick wouldn't draft him either because let's face it he's just not that good of a player. BB must be a bigot!

Leave it to the fine folks of bdc to blow something out of proportion about a rival coach/player again..smh

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

JustSaying

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do not agree here. Eric Couch won the Hesiman, and was not an NFL prospect

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are not getting it either.  Dungy saying what he is saying, plays into this supposed "distraction" that he is talking about, which is clearly ironic, when the moron could not even accept his own son who then committed suicide over it.

The mere fact that Dungy thinks people respect him and his word is gospel is also a problem and has been for years.

I smell a major phony who is a religious tool first and foremost, and some buy into that and follow his every word like brainwashed idiots.

So, yeah, I think Dungy is playing into a "distraction" when there really shouldn't be one by MOST of the NFL and its fans.

[/QUOTE]

I understood your point from all of your other posts. I think you are wrong.

There have been 50 people connected to the NFL that have mentioned the distraction issue. Dungy was the 51st.