Dungy Thoughts ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Re: Dungy Thoughts ?

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Tony Dungy has fundraised for the Indiana Family Institute. This may sound benign but the group is extremely anti-gay. So he has. at least in the past, used his celebrity to promote an anti-gay agenda.

he is against homosexual marriage as are about 30 states, have not heard about any other anti gay promotions.   

Always Right.....at least in my mind

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:

Tony Dungy has fundraised for the Indiana Family Institute. This may sound benign but the group is extremely anti-gay. So he has. at least in the past, used his celebrity to promote an anti-gay agenda.

he is against homosexual marriage as are about 30 states, have not heard about any other anti gay promotions.   

IFI believes they can "change" gay people. They also have actively campaigned against laws to prevent discrimination against gay people. That is about as extreme as you can get and Dungy is attached to them, or was at one point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The states issue: 53% in states don't have gay marriage support gay marriage, according to a poll in March. Also it is not like unpopular laws have never been passed before.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

In response to ronk1's comment:

In response to jjbag's comment:

Have re read all the responses and am not surprised by the name calling as sometimes that all y'all have in your heads.    

most people are bigots, homophobes, religious zealots, racists etc. I get that's what most people in the northeast and west coast think.  No body should be judged regardless of the issue and everything is ok as long as you are like minded.

TD is a religious man who has a belief system and he follows it.  Does that make him a bad man?? Heel no. Even if you think the same as he does. He has stated and clarified that IF he was drafting , he would have passed on Sam (regardless his being a homosexual) because of distractions driven by the media and if I had to guess maybe in the locker room because not all people are enlightened like the posters here.   What would/will happen when the f a g world is used in the locker room (or any other phrases used that May be offensive).  And please don't tell me they aren't used 

I think what your missing regarding this whole post concerning Dungy and why I personally am calling him out as a bigot is exactly what  your implying what he meant, that if he was a couch he wouldn't have drafted him because of the media circus that surrounded it. The reason I called him a bigot on homosexuality is the fact that 5 years ago, he had no problem supporting Michael(dog killer) Vick's return to football and that media circus that surrounded him. You can't in all honesty believe that a media circus is his only concern since he himself was part of the Michael Vick media circus. That's where the "bigot" factor of Dungy comes in. You can't support one media circus then be against another.

no. the point that you are missing is that Vick as a player was worth the trouble. Sam as a player, is not worth the trouble.

At the end of the day, Dungy was not commenting on Sam the person. He was commenting on Sam the player, and Sam the player is not worth the trouble

Thats not bigotry.

And Dungy is basing his fact on this players ability from what? His college career had earned him co-defensive player of the year in the SEC (not a slouch conference, the talent there fills the NFL's teams by large margin) or the fact he was a 1st team all American? Again, I'm saying straight out that Dungy is letting his prejudice and bigotry get in his way of looking at talent, along with 99.9% of the league did this year, look if this kid didn't come "out" even with his bad combine numbers, at most he would have dropped from a second round pick to a 4th. Just based off his college accomplishments and awards. So Dungy is not alone in letting his bigotry and prejudice get in his way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Did he fundraise specifically or did he accept an invitation to speak?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Curious would there be a difference? If you accept to speak at a fundraiser for a group wouldn't you therefor be condoning that groups stances?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

IFI believes they can "change" gay people. They also have actively campaigned against laws to prevent discrimination against gay people. That is about as extreme as you can get and Dungy is attached to them, or was at one point.

Too bad he has built such a web of homophobic people around him or else he could finally come out himself. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Curious would there be a difference? If you accept to speak at a fundraiser for a group wouldn't you therefor be condoning that groups stances?

I don't know.  He may condone the specific cause for which he and the association agree but nothing else.  I know, for example, that I generally vote a certain way, but I don't subscribe to that party's entire platform.  I don't agree with all things that some of my best friends think or believe.  I believe Gay people should be able to marry but I don't subscribe to many of their methods for seeking some form of social/political or financial justice from those who disagree them.  I believe blacks in many instances still are subject to discrimination, but that doesn't make me a supporter of Al Sharpton. 

There are a number of people on this thread who have chosen to label and embellish characteristics of Dungy upon him without really knowing whether or not they are true.  IMO, it just makes those people look dumb.  Some, like Rusty, don't care how dumb they appear.  Others do, but have gotten so caught up in their agendas that they've lost sight of reality. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

-------------- (insert name here) made up something thats completely untrue, what does it mean?

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

But, but I'm a good poster!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Exactly, what is a anti homosexual agenda??    Is it just about homosexual marriage??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

I'll say here what I said somewhere else:

I would at least respect Dungy somewhat if brought his true take, which is that he wouldn't draft Sam because he thought gays were icky and that he's a religious fanatic. Although it's not my stance, that's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

By saying he wouldn't take him due to media distraction but at the same time advocating for Vick, one of the biggest media distractions I can remember, that's what makes him a hypocrite, or afraid to say what he really thinks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Now understands the issue, Wozzy and NoMorePens are both closeted lovers and hiding behind a mask of bigotry, Bravo you 2, you had me going, let me know when you both decide to come out so I can come to the wedding.

So far this is still the most homophobic and bigoted thing said on this thread/topic... ironic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Maybe Dungy said he wouldn't draft Sam because of the media distraction issue because he meant he wouldn't draft Sam because of the media distraction issue....might...could...be possible...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Now understands the issue, Wozzy and NoMorePens are both closeted lovers and hiding behind a mask of bigotry, Bravo you 2, you had me going, let me know when you both decide to come out so I can come to the wedding.

So far this is still the most homophobic and bigoted thing said on this thread/topic... ironic.

Woz...you are dealing with the SPLC mentality.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

Pension and Woz, you 2 really should just go get a room. seems you 2 always come on the board together anyways.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Pension and Woz, you 2 really should just go get a room. seems you 2 always come on the board together anyways.

The shear brilliance of your well thought out rebuttal has left me speechless...you win..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

[quote] via Ronk1

...the point that you are missing is that Vick as a player was worth the trouble. Sam as a player, is not worth the trouble.

At the end of the day, Dungy was not commenting on Sam the person. He was commenting on Sam the player, and Sam the player is not worth the trouble

Thats not bigotry.

[/QUOTE]

This is the truth.  But this doesn't matter.....Not when there's another point to be made by drawing in other information, not related to this interview, in the name of Political Correctness.  No hypocrisy there. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Why didn't the Pats draft Sam? Because he isn't good enough, or because he is gay? 

Why did 32 teams pass on Sam 6 times? Because he is not good enough, or because he is gay?

Too many here are equating Sam's collegiate accomplishments with NFL success. That is simply wrong.the combine and NFL scouts pegged Sam as a fringe prospect. They could be wrong. He is getting his chance. 

If Sam is released, is it because he is not good enough, or because he is gay? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Why didn't the Pats draft Sam? Because he isn't good enough, or because he is gay? 

Why did 32 teams pass on Sam 6 times? Because he is not good enough, or because he is gay?

Too many here are equating Sam's collegiate accomplishments with NFL success. That is simply wrong.the combine and NFL scouts pegged Sam as a fringe prospect. They could be wrong. He is getting his chance. 

If Sam is released, is it because he is not good enough, or because he is gay? 

I agree, it will prove out, though personally feel he dropped to the 7th due to his "coming out", he had to many collegiate awards to warrant such a far drop due to his bad combine, but as I said its my opinion, we will all find out in about a month if he was good enough to play in the NFL and within a few years talented enough to an impact player.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

I had the misfortune to tune in to the herd show as he was discussing this issue and his point was that locker rooms are a tough place to be because of the types of music played and the language used.  He was so uncomfortable that he had to walk out (poor little fella).   I believe that this is the distraction or at least one of the reasons that teams past on Mr Sam .    Things would be said that May offend and hurt feelings (lol) would have to be addressed.  Why bother with that for a 7th rd pick??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to agcsbill's comment:

If there is anything that can be said, why what one does in their private life, legally, has anything to do with their ability to perform their "job", be it a CEO or NFL football player, needs to be kept separate. If Dungy can't make this distinction, he has a problem.

But, I will add, Michael Sam really should not have publicized his private life. For that matter, I just do not see why homosexuals feel compelled to do so.  I, personally, do not care about your private life and do not need it thrown in my face as a potential excuse why you may feel you would be treated differently than any other human being. In a way, one thinks Sam set himself up by doing this. He should have let his on field performance dictate his success or lack thereof and not because of what he does privately. Now, people will question the fact if he is cut, regardless of pronouncements he did not make the grade by the team, did his homosexuality have anything to do with it.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

The great thing about our country is that Michael Sam speak as he chooses as can Dungy.  Neither disrespected the other with their comments. 

Actually Dungy disrespected him but in an indirect way.

Say someone had said many years ago "signing a player of that race would be too much of a distraction" or "playing a player like 'that' at QB would be too much of a distraction".

Put that up against what Lombardi did at the beginning of his coaching the Packers. THe best star on the team was disrespecting African Americans on the team. And not just that player. Lombardi addressed the whole team and laid down the law. That was the end of it. It was 1959.

Dungy may have a religious excuse for his bigotry but religion was used a long time (and still is by some) to support their racial bigotry. He does not examine his bigotry. He just follows what he was "taught". All bigotry is taught. SO he hides behind it in the sense of having an excuse to not examine it fully.

Sad.

good considered and insightful thoghts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to agcsbill's comment:

If there is anything that can be said, why what one does in their private life, legally, has anything to do with their ability to perform their "job", be it a CEO or NFL football player, needs to be kept separate. If Dungy can't make this distinction, he has a problem.

But, I will add, Michael Sam really should not have publicized his private life. For that matter, I just do not see why homosexuals feel compelled to do so.  I, personally, do not care about your private life and do not need it thrown in my face as a potential excuse why you may feel you would be treated differently than any other human being. In a way, one thinks Sam set himself up by doing this. He should have let his on field performance dictate his success or lack thereof and not because of what he does privately. Now, people will question the fact if he is cut, regardless of pronouncements he did not make the grade by the team, did his homosexuality have anything to do with it.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

AGC - the reason some gays and lesbians publicize their sexual preference is exactly because we (our culture) has held that they are "bad" people and should hide their badness if they cannot stop being bad. They publicize because at THIS stage there is a need to change how many still think of them. There is still a lot of bigotry. 

You would understand if a jewish person had the courage to speak out in a country where antisemitism was strong - though you might wonder if you would have that courage. In this case there is so clearly still a lot of bigotry in this country (much of it using religion as an excuse to be bigoted - not wildly different than some racism in past centuries) and even more outside of this country.

So I hope you understand better if you can see it from their perspective.

and again thanks for insights

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Have re read all the responses and am not surprised by the name calling as sometimes that all y'all have in your heads.    

most people are bigots, homophobes, religious zealots, racists etc. I get that's what most people in the northeast and west coast think.  No body should be judged regardless of the issue and everything is ok as long as you are like minded.

TD is a religious man who has a belief system and he follows it.  Does that make him a bad man?? Heel no. Even if you think the same as he does. He has stated and clarified that IF he was drafting , he would have passed on Sam (regardless his being a homosexual) because of distractions driven by the media and if I had to guess maybe in the locker room because not all people are enlightened like the posters here.   What would/will happen when the f a g world is used in the locker room (or any other phrases used that May be offensive).  And please don't tell me they aren't used 

bigotry and homphobia have real concrete effects on peoples lives boht through internalied oppression and oppression form others that can destroy qulaity of life and even daily leads to battering and murder.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I just don't believe Sam is a very big distraction.  So, to me, Dungy's reason why he wouldn't draft Sam isn't credible. I therefore suspect he has some other reason than the one he stated. And that reason is, of course, that he's uncomfortable with gay people.  In my opinion, that doesn't reflect well on him.  I don't dislike Dungy in general as some do.  There are things about him I admire.  But I've never trusted his religiosity, and his statements only confirm to me that my distrust of his religiosity is well founded.

Sections
Shortcuts