Duron Harmon (Part II)

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: Duron Harmon (Part II)

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

Pats d was never ranked 31st in points allowed.  Nice job trolling my thread, you miserable turd.

No they were ranked 31st in pass D and 3rd down D which is the reason they never left the field and squandered valuable possessions that the O could have used to score.

They have always been middle of the pack in points scored and that is even skewed by the limited possessions and the decreased amount of stops they have to make compared to other teams that have to make more stops per game., 

Giving up 19 points in 8 possessions does not = giving up 19 points in 12 possessions.  Even giving up 30 points in 13 possessions is better than giving up 19 pts in 8 possessions, statistically. the team giving up 30 points has a BETTER point per drive average.

Points can be low but game is not equal with 4 less stops to make.  Same goes for scoring.

Pats d has led the afc 3 years in a row in turnovers for our offense to work with here.  Do not talk like brady has been a victim of fewer possessions

That is preposterous.

e
    Actually they have been because of the poor defensive time of possession. 

The turn overs don't account to much if they are still losing possessions due to ToP and yes their ToP has been abysmal.

Right now  Denver's D is having to make one more stop per game.  The point per game difference is minimal.  Taking into account they have to stop more drives than the Pats do, they are actually better in points per drive and  are therefore, better..  Truth

Toodles...  got to run

You stats guys are a funny bunch. You quote all these really amazing stats that say what you want them to say to win your arguments. You tout them as the only real measure of how good a team is. But you always leave out the only stat that really matters. Wins and losses.  With BB's 31st (or top ten ranked defense,just depends on the stat you use to rank them) They won more games than anybody in the AFC. You portray yourself as knowing more about football but you refuse to take into account things like BB's D was designed to give up yards. Lot's of yards! But not let teams score.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Solid article on Collins, Ryan and Harmon

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/11/measuring-growth-patriots-draft-picks-jamie-collins-duron-harmon-and-logan-ryan-take-next-step-vs-broncos.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

The rookies in general are playing well. Except for Boyce, they have all had some contribution. 

Harmon is what he is....smart, sure tackler...Sanders is a good comp IMO. He is a step slow, and this will cost him in coverage against certain teams. 

as usual I am in the minority. I thought TWilson played reasonably well last year. I thought he had reasonable upside. I also thought he played well in camp this past summer. I have to assume his issues are between the ears. 

See I disagree on Wilson, I thought physically he was nothing special...nothing great in size and speed. There was quite a bit of film stuff on the Internet on this kid (for whatever that's worth) and if you watch it you'll see undrafted nobody's blowing right past him. The only thing I saw good about him was that he had what looked like really long arms.

Watching stuff on Ryan and Harmon (again for what it's worth) I thought they both showed more. Harmon looked more physical and although Ryan plays a different spot, looked like he could stick with someone. I will say I thought Ryan was going to get flagged a lot for pass interference...every time I watched him he was grabbing/holding on to someone, but so far so good.

I had not seen much of any of the 3 in college, other than the occasional you tube after they were drafted. I thought TWilson made plays last year, created turnovers, and was a sure tackler. He did have 4 INT's and 2 FR's. We could all see he was mistake prone, and never was able to clean those mistakes up. 

I see he is making plays this year on ST's. I cannot seem to recall him on the field other than ST's this entire season?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Pats d was never ranked 31st in points allowed.  Nice job trolling my thread, you miserable turd.

No they were ranked 31st in pass D and 3rd down D which is the reason they never left the field and squandered valuable possessions that the O could have used to score.

They have always been middle of the pack in points scored and that is even skewed by the limited possessions and the decreased amount of stops they have to make compared to other teams that have to make more stops per game., 

Giving up 19 points in 8 possessions does not = giving up 19 points in 12 possessions.  Even giving up 30 points in 13 possessions is better than giving up 19 pts in 8 possessions, statistically. the team giving up 30 points has a BETTER point per drive average.

Points can be low but game is not equal with 4 less stops to make.  Same goes for scoring.

Pats d has led the afc 3 years in a row in turnovers for our offense to work with here.  Do not talk like brady has been a victim of fewer possessions

That is preposterous.

e

The turn overs don't account to much if they are still losing possessions due to ToP and yes their ToP has been abysmal.

Right now  Denver's D is having to make one more stop per game.  The point per game difference is minimal.  Taking into account they have to stop more drives than the Pats do, they are actually better in points per drive and  are therefore, better..  Truth

Toodles...  got to run

You stats guys are a funny bunch. You quote all these really amazing stats that say what you want them to say to win your arguments. You tout them as the only real measure of how good a team is. But you always leave out the only stat that really matters. Wins and losses.  With BB's 31st (or top ten ranked defense,just depends on the stat you use to rank them) They won more games than anybody in the AFC. You portray yourself as knowing more about football but you refuse to take into account things like BB's D was designed to give up yards. Lot's of yards! But not let teams score.

Actually  the D isn't designed to give up tons of yards, that's ludicrous.  Any coach knows giving up yards takes time and when you want to waste time that's fine but when you want the ball back desperately, it's not.  It's designed to keep the play in front of them and not give up the long ball which they failed miserably at.  3rd down conversion failure leads to a ton of yards and this is where they have been abysmal for years.

Yes, they sure did win a lot of games but it sure as hell wasn't because of the 31st ranked D.  It was due to the quick strike, score as much as humanly possible because you can't trust your D to hold a 3 score lead, #1 offense.

When you score 34 points and your D  gives up a 3 score lead and 35 points, that sucks.

Of course you BB lover, apologist, blame Brady for not scoring 42, cuz that's what you do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

"Your"^^.  

Did you say something crusty? 

Oh,  Was it banned for vulgarity or just one of your patented, ridiculous insults, you fall back on when you are bludgeoned and have no retort?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

really enjoyed that article, thanks for posting!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

The rookies in general are playing well. Except for Boyce, they have all had some contribution. 

Harmon is what he is....smart, sure tackler...Sanders is a good comp IMO. He is a step slow, and this will cost him in coverage against certain teams. 

as usual I am in the minority. I thought TWilson played reasonably well last year. I thought he had reasonable upside. I also thought he played well in camp this past summer. I have to assume his issues are between the ears. 

See I disagree on Wilson, I thought physically he was nothing special...nothing great in size and speed. There was quite a bit of film stuff on the Internet on this kid (for whatever that's worth) and if you watch it you'll see undrafted nobody's blowing right past him. The only thing I saw good about him was that he had what looked like really long arms.

Watching stuff on Ryan and Harmon (again for what it's worth) I thought they both showed more. Harmon looked more physical and although Ryan plays a different spot, looked like he could stick with someone. I will say I thought Ryan was going to get flagged a lot for pass interference...every time I watched him he was grabbing/holding on to someone, but so far so good.

I had not seen much of any of the 3 in college, other than the occasional you tube after they were drafted. I thought TWilson made plays last year, created turnovers, and was a sure tackler. He did have 4 INT's and 2 FR's. We could all see he was mistake prone, and never was able to clean those mistakes up. 

I see he is making plays this year on ST's. I cannot seem to recall him on the field other than ST's this entire season?

I see T Wilson same you do, rkarp. Also caught a couple of special teams plays he made but don't think he's seen much of the field otherwise.  Physical skills seem to be there - the rest of it hasn't yet come along.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Harmon played all 90 defensive snaps vs The Great and Powerful Wizard of Peyton last week. He did his job and didn't get beat. Can't ask for much more than that out of a rookie starting at safety.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

Harmon played all 90 defensive snaps vs The Great and Powerful Wizard of Peyton last week. He did his job and didn't get beat. Can't ask for much more than that out of a rookie starting at safety.

yeah, of course. bottom line is wins and continued health. but if analyzing the game and individual play, while we dont know the game plan and each individuals assigments;

-can the Pats run the entire defensive playbook with rookies getting all the snaps? (here say, Harmon=yes. Ryan=no)

-are other players asked to do more than their usual responsabilities to compensate? (here say, Harmon=when in cover 2, McCourty has to cover more of the field when Harmon is playing)

I dont think it too far a reach to say BB has no confidence in Wilson playing S. BB prefers to not play Ebner unless absolutely needs to. BB is happy with McCourty, Gregory and Harmon as his S rotation.

I think it will also be interesting to see who lines up in the slot today, Arrington or Ryan as Dennerd is rulled out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I've been positive about Harmon (and Ryan too) since preseason.  These two are turning out to be nice acquisitions. 

Re: Trade Coming?

posted at 9/1/2013 8:20 PM EDT

I'm not so discouraged.  First of all, I don't think Gregory is the disaster some think.  Not great, but okay.  Talib and McCourty are both very good.  And I still feel confident that Dennard is not a one-year wonder (though the memory of guys like Butler and Wilhite--along with the possible probation violation--does make me nervous).  Arrington is really good in the middle of the field (just don't have him out on the corner with his back to the QB).  And quite honestly, I liked the way both Ryan and Harmon were improving through the preseason. I've said it before and I'll go out on a limb and say it again:  Harmon is going to be getting a lot of playing time as Gregory's back-up before the season is over.  T. Wilson will continue to play a role near the LOS and covering TEs.   Could they use another good corner to challenge Dennard?  Yes.  Will Ryan be that guy?  Not sure.   But barring injury, this is looking like a better secondary than last year's was until Talib got here.  So it's not panic time. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Good article, I expect to see a lot more of Collins, his burst up the middle on that sack was what we've seen so far all year, his speed and explosiveness jumps off the screen when he rushes upfield.  I was still more impressed by the stop on Welker on third down with no help, it was textbook coverage and breakdown on a player known for being the shiftiest in the league.

Ryan has been very good for a rookie, all corners get beat now and again, Talib got shook last game also, but Ryan now has two INT's in the last two games and he is not shy or tentative, he will continue to improve.

Duron Harmon is looking very good, he does what every other safety we've brought in after James Sanders couldn't, remain disciplined and do his job but his upside is greater than Sanders because he is a superior athlete. He was in on just about every defensive snap and the coverage was great, we would have given up substantially fewer points if the offense didn't blow for the first half and turn the ball over.  

By the way the James Sanders comparison was mine way back in April the day after the draft:

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/wozzys-draft-guide-2013/100/6597018?page=5

Rusty just plagiarizing from me AGAIN...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

That is preposterous.

e

Toodles...  got to run

Actually  the D isn't designed to give up tons of yards, that's ludicrous.  Any coach knows giving up yards takes time and when you want to waste time that's fine but when you want the ball back desperately, it's not.  It's designed to keep the play in front of them and not give up the long ball which they failed miserably at.  3rd down conversion failure leads to a ton of yards and this is where they have been abysmal for years.

Yes, they sure did win a lot of games but it sure as hell wasn't because of the 31st ranked D.  It was due to the quick strike, score as much as humanly possible because you can't trust your D to hold a 3 score lead, #1 offense.

When you score 34 points and your D  gives up a 3 score lead and 35 points, that sucks.

Of course you BB lover, apologist, blame Brady for not scoring 42, cuz that's what you do.

I think your spot on with this wild assumption that Bill Belichick is ok with giving up long drives (bend, but don't break!) type of defense. He's not.

He was talking about defense this week on the radio and mentioned a long drive the defense gave up (that they weren't scored on) and said how you never want to give up long drives. He didn't allude to why you don't want to give up long drives, but any moron with half a brain will be able to tell you that.

I'm surprised at the length people will make excuses for our poor defense over the last 5 years...even going so far to say BB wants/designs it that way. It's beyond ridicolous.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

2011 Passing Yards Allowed
    1 Packers  4,796 15-1
    2 Patriots 4,703 13-3
    3 Saints   4,157 13-3
    4 Giants   4,082  9-7 SB Champ

This is all ancient history now but I remember making this point in 2011 about how overrated the passing yards allowed stat is. Looking at the numbers you could argue that giving up beaucoup passing yards is a benefit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

" am sick and obsessed because I know football is a team game and other players besides brady help our team do good things."

What a transparent fool.  There have been 28,000 posts, this year alone, under 15 handles blaming a handful of losses solely on Brady and giving credit for every win to BB and everyone not named Brady.  Stop exposing yourself troll, no one wants to see your girly bits.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

2011 Passing Yards Allowed
    1 Packers  4,796 15-1
    2 Patriots 4,703 13-3
    3 Saints   4,157 13-3
    4 Giants   4,082  9-7 SB Champ

This is all ancient history now but I remember making this point in 2011 about how overrated the passing yards allowed stat is. Looking at the numbers you could argue that giving up beaucoup passing yards is a benefit.

An advantage?   Bwahahaha  You're funny!

In 2011 the league average for yards was 3675.  The teams allowing worse than average also included teams such as Tampa, Miami, Buff and Oakland.  Where did they finish?

The 4 teams you listed had one thing the others didn't.  Top rated offenses.

If you are giving up that many yards, you damn well better have an offense that is passing many more than you are giving up or you lose.   The teams you listed had 4700-5400 passing yards.  The losers didn't.

If you are giving up that many yards, you damn well better have an offense that can score quickly and jump out in to an early lead.  The 4 you listed could and the others could not.

The problem arises when you're top rated O actually plays a top rated D and you can't jump out to an early lead or score by the bushels.  You are still left with a D that is giving up the yards and the cause and the game.

It's a natural occurrence for teams with top offenses to allow some yards as they are often playing with leads and teams are throwing at them more.  Some of those yards are to be expected but a good portion were caused from being  burned.

When a team like the, 2-14 Colts can come back from a huge deficit, (with Dan Orlovsky) and almost win, you have a problem.  Those yards were not a result of sitting on a lead.  Those yards almost lost the game.

When you have a game like the Steelers and Gints played, who exploited the defensive weakness ( 3rd downs) and kept TB off the field with extremely low possession games, you have a problem.

There is a reason that teams with 92.7 defensive passer ratings don't win SB's.

It's a problem.

The team with the worst passer rating in history, (ironically) to ever win a SB were the 2011 NY Giants.  They were just fortunate to play someone whose D sucked more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Pezz, I didn't say it was an advantage just that you could make that argument. Stats are funny that way.

The Patriots didn't lose the super bowl in 2011 solely because of their pass defense. It didn't help but if the offense gets just one field goal instead of going scoreless most of the second half, it would have changed things.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Pezz, I didn't say it was an advantage just that you could make that argument. Stats are funny that way.

The Patriots didn't lose the super bowl in 2011 solely because of their pass defense. It didn't help but if the offense gets just one field goal instead of going scoreless most of the second half, it would have changed things.

Well of course if the O scored more it would have helped, but they couldn't and didn't.

Several dropped passes and an int, sealed their fate and unfortunately the team that makes the least errors in those low possession games, usually wins because there are less chances to try and make up for those.  But while the Gints D was busy forcing those errors, the Pats D did nothing to help the cause other than allowing scores on 3/4 and gave up an established 2 score lead in the second half.

BB had to gift a TD to get the ball back to the O for one more 38 second possession. 

Just one more possession!

I'm sorry but that's god awful.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Good article, I expect to see a lot more of Collins, his burst up the middle on that sack was what we've seen so far all year, his speed and explosiveness jumps off the screen when he rushes upfield.  I was still more impressed by the stop on Welker on third down with no help, it was textbook coverage and breakdown on a player known for being the shiftiest in the league.

Ryan has been very good for a rookie, all corners get beat now and again, Talib got shook last game also, but Ryan now has two INT's in the last two games and he is not shy or tentative, he will continue to improve.

Duron Harmon is looking very good, he does what every other safety we've brought in after James Sanders couldn't, remain disciplined and do his job but his upside is greater than Sanders because he is a superior athlete. He was in on just about every defensive snap and the coverage was great, we would have given up substantially fewer points if the offense didn't blow for the first half and turn the ball over.  

By the way the James Sanders comparison was mine way back in April the day after the draft:

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/wozzys-draft-guide-2013/100/6597018?page=5

Rusty just plagiarizing from me AGAIN...

Spot on about Collins. I thought that he stood out like a crocodile in church. He seemed so fast and all over the field, I was surprised to not read much about him after last weeks game. To me he looked incredibly lean, fast and powerful.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Well of course if the O scored more it would have helped, but they couldn't and didn't.

Several dropped passes and an int, sealed their fate and unfortunately the team that makes the least errors in those low possession games, usually wins because there are less chances to try and make up for those.  But while the Gints D was busy forcing those errors, the Pats D did nothing to help the cause other than allowing scores on 3/4 and gave up an established 2 score lead in the second half.

BB had to gift a TD to get the ball back to the O for one more 38 second possession. 

Just one more possession!

I'm sorry but that's god awful.

There were not "several" dropped passes until the last drive.  Brady threw an INT on 1st down early in the 4th!  That's easily 2 minutes of clock if you run on 2nd and 3rd and then punt!

2 minutes of clock!  Goofy, lucky Eli would never have had the time at the end!

And, that is before Brady's chance to ice it with the high throw to Welker, which Welkie couldn't handle.

Yes, Brady was god awful in the 4th.  13 points allowed by a D in a low scoring SB is fantastic, the best since the 2000 Ravens, well before the Goodell rules came in to favor offenses and QBs.

Our own HOF QB can't even take advantage of it in a SB!  Brady did not deserve any more possessions after his poor play in the 4th like that. Brutal  to watch unfold. It's like he doesn't care.

There were 7 dropped passes and the last drive was the one they needed to win the game, dope.  You know, the drive BB gave up the TD for.  Kind of hard to score when your receivers are dropping left and right.

And it's Fackin 19 points.  19!!!!!!!! Allowed by the D, not 13.  If they HAD allowed 13, they would have won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any idea how idiotic and pathetic you look repeating this lie over and over?

We all watched the game.  We all know how many points the D gave up.  We all know the D let them score on 3/4 and blew a 2 score lead in the second half.

Apparently you were watching something else.  Sponge BOB?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I couldn't really read the article due to the text being camouflaged in the graphics in the site, but I do remember that Collin's play...in fact I rewatched that second half to look at it again...amazing play. When you are 250 pounds and can move/explode like that, you'll be doing good things in the NFL. I want to see this guy rushing the passer more - I can't believe he was able to regain his balance on that play and not really lose any momentum. Awesome play. Good in coverage too...he doesn't look lost out there.

Sections
Shortcuts