Dustin Keller Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Dustin Keller Update

From Twitter feed:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 15m

Not only is TE Dustin Keller visiting the #Patriots, but source tells me the physical on his knee went very well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Re: Dustin Keller Update

Hope they sign him...another box checked

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

If he is signed, I would hope they still draft a TE. However, I'd love this as a low-risk, high reward type signing that could potentially give us better depth at TE.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

yes, Keller was discussed 2 weeks ago regarding a visit. the understanding is he is coming in with no guaranteed $$, and if another team did offer a guarantee, the Pats would either have to match or pass. I also understood the Phins were contemplating offering the guarantee...not sure if the Pats changed their minds after his physical..
    I do believe if he is signed, they also do draft a TE, but I also believe they are not really in love with most any of the TE's available.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

This was an ESPN analyst's view of Dustin Keller three years ago.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/27473/ranking-the-afc-easts-tight-ends

He would probably not feel the same way with hindsight but shows you what people thought of his potential. From 2008 through 2011, he improved in every category (number of times targeted, passes caught, yards, yards/catch, touchdowns). 1st round pick by the Jets in 2008 (30th pick). He lost half the 2012 and all of 2013 with injuries. If he has fully recovered, he would be a steal at the kind of compensation being bandied around.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Thank you for the info.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thank you for the info.

[/QUOTE]

You are welcome. Hope we land him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This was an ESPN analyst's view of Dustin Keller three years ago.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/27473/ranking-the-afc-easts-tight-ends" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/27473/ranking-the-afc-easts-tight-ends

He would probably not feel the same way with hindsight but shows you what people thought of his potential. From 2008 through 2011, he improved in every category (number of times targeted, passes caught, yards, yards/catch, touchdowns). 1st round pick by the Jets in 2008 (30th pick). He lost half the 2012 and all of 2013 with injuries. If he has fully recovered, he would be a steal at the kind of compensation being bandied around.

[/QUOTE]

and that was with Sanchez as his QB...

every Pats comments these days is prefaced with "assuming health"..but an offense with Gronk, Keller, Amendola, JE and Dobson offers TB a lot of options.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Bustify's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he is signed, I would hope they still draft a TE. However, I'd love this as a low-risk, high reward type signing that could potentially give us better depth at TE.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Provided it's has no guaranteed money and it doesn't prevent them from getting a starting caliber TE through the draft instead of hoping he is game time ready on that knee by all means good move. It would be a 90 man roster spot that he can earn a spot with no drawback, unless it prevents them from hedging their bets.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

This would be a smart move, he's a vet. Next thing he is a TE that primary known for RAC yards. Kids out of College, seem to have a hole in their game one way or another. You Draft a kid that is already a good blocker, then work him into Offense. Less pressure.
    If Keller is healthy, he takes care of the Offensive side of it. He was Aaron Hernandez, before there was one. I would target Niklas if we sign Keller. Need a 2nd rounder, again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Provided it's has no guaranteed money and it doesn't prevent them from getting a starting caliber TE through the draft instead of hoping he is game time ready on that knee by all means good move. It would be a 90 man roster spot that he can earn a spot with no drawback, unless it prevents them from hedging their bets.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think a starting caliber TE for the Pats is available in this draft...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Agreed...maybe Ebron, but we're not getting Ebron...the others all have holes in their games or limitations...it's a bad year for TE's which is why some guys in rds 5-7 could work out as well as those being touted for selection in rds 2-3

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

This guy never had a real NFL quarterback throwing him the ball in his career, if his knee is healed up (no guarantee there), this is a no brainer.

I don't think Keller will influence our decision to draft (or not draft) a tight end this year either, these types of moves are what you see throughout the off season anyway.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Keller was the WRONG TE for the Jets. He is not what you want in a ground and pound as your primary TE. But he is a solid though not spectacular pass receiver if healthy. He would not replace as a number 1 TE but as that pass catching guy, sure. I do hope we sign him. It would dramatically improve us in that role.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

If the TE prospects in the draft were so bad, don't you think BB would have addressed that position in FA with Chandler, Dickson, Daniels etc? I think the fact that he passed in everyone means that he knows he can get a cheaper, quality option ie Keller, Draft pick

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

If Gronk can get and stay healthy, Keller would be an excellent compliment to him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the TE prospects in the draft were so bad, don't you think BB would have addressed that position in FA with Chandler, Dickson, Daniels etc? I think the fact that he passed in everyone means that he knows he can get a cheaper, quality option ie Keller, Draft pick

[/QUOTE]

he tried to address it with many of the guys available, but they wanted more $$$ than the Pats wanted to pay.

looking like the TE class is Ebron and a bunch of 3rd and 4th rounders. Pats wont reach for a TE and the board is short on talent. It the board doesn't fall that way, wouldn't surprise if the Pats don't come out of the draft with out a TE... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he tried to address it with many of the guys available, but they wanted more $$$ than the Pats wanted to pay.

looking like the TE class is Ebron and a bunch of 3rd and 4th rounders. Pats wont reach for a TE and the board is short on talent. It the board doesn't fall that way, wouldn't surprise if the Pats don't come out of the draft with out a TE... 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not sure I completely agree on the TE situation. I'm not enamored by ASJ or Amaro in any way but the Pats have done a lot of work on Fiedorowicz and with good reason I think. If they get him in the 3rd I'd think we'd all be pleasantly surprised. He won't be Gronk but do think he could be a top 20 TE in the league, which for a #2 TE isn't all that bad. Not elite but certainly a big upgrade over Hooman as a starter. Niklas is also a guy that if he stuck around for another year was on track to be a top 20 player in the mold of Ebron next year. He's still a bit raw but the talent and athletic ability is there. I wouldn't be shocked if they looked at Niklas as a possible long term solution but needing a year to develop and Keller giving them insurance if Niklas does need that extra year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not sure I completely agree on the TE situation. I'm not enamored by ASJ or Amaro in any way but the Pats have done a lot of work on Fiedorowicz and with good reason I think. If they get him in the 3rd I'd think we'd all be pleasantly surprised. He won't be Gronk but do think he could be a top 20 TE in the league, which for a #2 TE isn't all that bad. Not elite but certainly a big upgrade over Hooman as a starter. Niklas is also a guy that if he stuck around for another year was on track to be a top 20 player in the mold of Ebron next year. He's still a bit raw but the talent and athletic ability is there. I wouldn't be shocked if they looked at Niklas as a possible long term solution but needing a year to develop and Keller giving them insurance if Niklas does need that extra year.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think either player goes in rounds 1,2 or 3. If Available, perhaps Pats bite with the 4th...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I would be very happy with this signing assuming it's the expected low risk, incentive laden package - I think most of us would. He has been clutch against us for sure

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Spent more time watching video of Niklas and CJF. Both decent blockers, Niklas little better. Both decent receivers, both lack speed and quickness. ILB's could cover them pretty easily.

I think they'e both slight upgrades to Hooman, but not by much.

I would not use a 2nd on either, there should be other more impactful options @62.

In the 3rd, I would rather take one of the WR's or RB's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Spent more time watching video of Niklas and CJF. Both decent blockers, Niklas little better. Both decent receivers, both lack speed and quickness. ILB's could cover them pretty easily.

I think they'e both slight upgrades to Hooman, but not by much.

I would not use a 2nd on either, there should be other more impactful options @62.

In the 3rd, I would rather take one of the WR's or RB's.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, that's why I am saying maybe at 4 Pats go TE if available.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

A big question is whether the Pats are going to try to re-create the two-TE offence they had with Gronk and Hernandez or whether, given the dearth of available quality TEs, they go to more of a three receiver offence. Given the TEs available this year, I suspect the latter, which is one reason I think it's still quite possible they draft a WR fairly high.  WR has better talent in this draft than TE, and a good one may be available with a lower pick.  If that's the case, getting a veteran like Keller to be a fill-in for Gronk until Gronk gets healthy and then focusing on improving the WR group could be a good strategy.  I think the draft will emphasize defence first, but as much as we address offence, I see WR as a real possibility.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I adding Keller would be a great move.  The offense is good now.  Adding Keller give flexibility to the draft.  I would like to see Smith signed for the defense as well.  This would fill a couple of missing pieces to the puzzle.  The Patriots would be going into the draft with no holes and able to add depth with the best player available.  I see them drafting a couple of OL players, a running back.  If Keller is signed, there is not need to waste a top 3 round pick on a TE. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The thing about Keller is he's a joker TE who relied mostly on his speed. He was an even worse blocker than Hern was. More like a massive slot WR than a TE really. So, he'd be closer to adding a WR than he would be adding a TE even if healthy. However, that was a major, major injury to his knee and it's hard to tell if he'd be the same player again. Will he have the same speed and cutting ability? If it's even slightly decreased that was his major claim to fame. It's a big gamble to grab just him and say that's good enough. Esp, with the question mark if Gronk can stay healthy through a season. We saw the major effect having Gronk vs a Hooman/Mulligan combo had on the O we can expect similar if that same thing happens this year. To me, Keller would be adding an offensive receiving weapon (like adding a big WR) it wouldn't be like adding a more traditional TE that teams have to worry about releasing and staying in. Drafting a TE early would be more Gronk insurance than it would be about adding an offensive weapon as if Gronk goes down again having Keller would still make the TE position 1 dimensional (ie when Hooman is on the field they are running, when Keller is on the field they are passing)

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

Sections
Shortcuts