Duuude: Faulk, RB situation, and the draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Duuude: Faulk, RB situation, and the draft

So Kevin Faulk is healthy and pumped to continue playing as a Patriot. We have BJGE, revelation Danny Woodhead is locked up for the next couple years, and Edelman and Hernandez have shown the ability and potential to contribute even more out of the backfield. Plus Brandon Tate runs some nice sweeps. We enter the 2011 season with 5 rbs and 4 TEs. Releasing a capable Faulk seems like a waste of resources. Meanwhile, quality running backs remain undrafted free agents. I can't avoid coming to the conclusion that BB was a little too cavalier about this entire draft process, from drafting two rbs in the first three rounds, to overpaying for Oakland's 2012 2nd rounder (giving up a 3rd and a 4th rounder - a 3rd and 5th probably would have been plenty, to oak or some other mid-range team), to trading down with Philly in the 7th, to drafting a backup cb/safety in the 7th instead of just grabbing him off the undrafted fa scrap heap. Calling it a weak draft doesn't cut it. There will be standout performers that emerge from every round of this draft. I suppose the rb situation might work itself out after an injury or two, but hopefully not at the price of releasing a promising player at another position, like happened last year with that rookie guard who ended up starting for ATL. The impact of having 5 rbs on the roster will be felt somewhere else on the roster. That's a shame considering that both Edelman and Hernandez have the ability to contribute out of the backfield already. One RB would have sufficed in this draft. The question is who.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

Re: Duuude: Faulk, RB situation, and the draft

Heartless but true:

Faulk is old.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

You make a compelling point there rambone; We have an aging RB coming off of major knee surgery so he's basically a lock to make the team and we will have to release a good player at another position because silly BB drafted his replacement without checking with you and knowing that you gave him a clean bill of health and drops from the fountain of youth. Damn your shortsightedness Belichick!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

one additional point to consider: there is a good chance that rosters will be expanded because of the lockout. but the bottom line is that if faulk is healthy and can still play he will make the team and we will carry 5 backs. if he's not, he will be retired in training camp just like tedy and troy brown. BB has no sentimentality. hence the drafting of 2 young backs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

Put Faulk on IR till we know if any of the young RB are going to work out. All it takes is one injury and we'll be glad we have Faulk to fall back on. Plus, I think we forget how valueable his veteran leadership will be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Well a few sports sights say Woody was a one year wonder. If BB believes that and he decides VAreen can learn behind Faulk - does he trade Woody?

Or if Ridley is the answer would BB trade BJGE?

I only say that if they keep Faulk - I dont see BB keeping 5 RBs as they will need to keep 4 TEs unless Crump starts on PUP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jj-12day. Show jj-12day's posts

Faulk is still the best at what he does . Release him and watch him get picked up fast. He is the type of guy who will tell you when he is done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Dont understand why Faulk will teach Vereen (what to be a 3rd down back??)..MOst posters have Vereen a third down back and I dont get it..Hes quicker than BJE and and a better pass catcher..will at least push for a starting position.. Have enjoyed faulk for a long time but his time has come..his position has been taken by woodhead...Sorry but time passes and his has come.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Vereen is a FEATURE back. Not just a third down back. Where that comes from I don't know.

I'm not really sure what this thread is about. We have some running backs. The two we drafted, especially Vereen, will be impactful. The comment about BB taking the draft lightly is a really lame thing to say. So what is the point here?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to Duuude: Faulk, RB situation, and the draft:
    [QUOTE]So Kevin Faulk is healthy and pumped to continue playing as a Patriot. We have BJGE, revelation Danny Woodhead is locked up for the next couple years, and Edelman and Hernandez have shown the ability and potential to contribute even more out of the backfield. Plus Brandon Tate runs some nice sweeps. We enter the 2011 season with 5 rbs and 4 TEs. Releasing a capable Faulk seems like a waste of resources. Meanwhile, quality running backs remain undrafted free agents. I can't avoid coming to the conclusion that BB was a little too cavalier about this entire draft process, from drafting two rbs in the first three rounds, to overpaying for Oakland's 2012 2nd rounder (giving up a 3rd and a 4th rounder - a 3rd and 5th probably would have been plenty, to oak or some other mid-range team), to trading down with Philly in the 7th, to drafting a backup cb/safety in the 7th instead of just grabbing him off the undrafted fa scrap heap. Calling it a weak draft doesn't cut it. There will be standout performers that emerge from every round of this draft. I suppose the rb situation might work itself out after an injury or two, but hopefully not at the price of releasing a promising player at another position, like happened last year with that rookie guard who ended up starting for ATL. The impact of having 5 rbs on the roster will be felt somewhere else on the roster. That's a shame considering that both Edelman and Hernandez have the ability to contribute out of the backfield already. One RB would have sufficed in this draft. The question is who.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

Where to start?! I will assume you wrote this nonsense just for "shock value" and to get several responses. When you can't even get the facts right on your own argument, it really shows your an idiot.
     1) we didn't release any "promising player" that ended up starting for Atlanta! I assume you mean Ted Larsen who ended up starting 10 games for Tampa Bay?! I know it would have been a little to difficult to research your own argument before posting inaccurate facts.
    2) "Edelman and Hernandez have shown the ability and potential to contribute even more out of the backfield. Really!! when?? All I remember about Julian Edelman was him dropping a few wide open throws the very few times he was on the field as a reciever!! (7 total catches and 3 drops for the season!) As far as operating out of the backfield he had a grand total of 2 carries for 14 yards!! (1 carry for 13, 1 carry for 1 yard) AND THATS WHAT YOU CALL POTENTIAL TO CONTRIBUTE MORE?! Now Aaron hernadez did have 3 carries for 47 yards, but if you run Aaron hernandez (and his 4.58 speed) out of the backfield that is a gadget play you run once every 3 or 4 games, not every game or opponents will gameplan for it and shut it down. "Plus Brandon Tate runs some nice sweeps." 5 rushes for 62 yards. See above comment in reference to A. Hernandez.
    3) "Meanwhile quality running backs remain undrafted free agents." OK Name one!! Name one that can come in and contribute what Shane Vereen and Ridley will contribute?
    4) "overpaying for Oaklands 2012 2nd rounder (giving up a 3rd and a 4th rounder - a 3rd and a 5th probably would have been plenty" Are you kidding? A late 3rd and a late 4th for a 2?! I make taht trade every day especially when you have so many draft picks and they wont all make the team. And dont you think BB negotiated before the trade? or do you think Uncle Al said give me a 3rd and a 5th and BB replied No I;ll give you a 3rd and a 4th??!! Cmon man wake up!! Hell we couldnt even get two #2's for pick #33!! Believe it or no, BB probably knows a little more about football than you do!

Duuuuude, you either wrote this nonsense only for shock value, were totally stoned when you wrote it, or are an absolute IDIOT! I will give you benefit of the doubt and assume its #1 or 2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Settle down quaggy, you sound like tenacious t. Tampa Bay or Atlanta, whatever, we released an nfl starter caliber rookie to an nfc south team with red colors. Don't have a heart attack and let your day be ruined, while intentionally missing my point. That's pathetic and I don't deserve that degree of ridicule. 2. Edelman showed some really confident punt returning toward the end of the year, and excelled as a rushing quarterback in college. Since he seems to be buried on the depth chart behind Welker and Branch, it's not a stretch to say he has the POTENTIAL to fill in in the backfield for an injured player and make a decent impact. Edelman dropping passes last year as a wr has little to do with his potential to contribute as a backup rb, and given that he is a converted qb and caught passes quite well as a rookie, his dropped passes last year don't even have much to do with his potential as a wr. Word out of player practices last week was that he was very positive. Hernandez was talked about as a FB/HB option from day one. The limited stats you posted only re-enforce the idea that he has potential out of the backfield. We have 3 other TEs on the roster, two of which are proven reliable receivers, one of which is an emerging star. Lining up from the backfield more often would be a way to keep the talented Hernandez on the field more, and I'm not talking once every three games. Nothing radical or shocking in my thinking here, and you're borderline smart enough to realize that. Also not how I spelt "you're". Think back to 3rd grade and try to remember that it is a contraction of "you" and "are" - preferably before you next tell somebody, "your an idiot." Tool. Don't forget that Hernandez was the youngest player in the league last year as well. Projection is required to assess the potential of a 21 yo to do anything on the football field. Same goes for converted qbs like Edelman. Projection, and not the kind of projection where you take out your real life frustrations on anonymous internet posters to make yourself feel like a tough, smart guy. So far, that's the only projection you've shown any talent in, but I'm projecting that you have a bit of potential to project players' potential in the future. If you want to say that this projection of mine is idiotic...I can be convinced. 4. You finally make a valid point, after wasting so much time distorting my other arguments. Congrats man, it must feel good. Try to chill out a little more, even if that means getting stoned once in a while. Find your stress reliever and leave well meaning fellow Pats fans out of it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

One thing to keep in mind is the possibility of expanded rosters due to the lockout which I think would help Faulk stick around. I think if he wants to keep playing he will be on the team. Look at the roster...pretty much every position has that one veteran guy to mentor the young guys and show them how to conduct themselves:

QB: Brady
    TE: Crumpler
    WR: Welker, Branch
    OL: Koppen
    DL: Wilfork, Warren
    LB: Banta Cain, even Mayo could fall into this catagory as well
    S: Sanders
    CB: Bodden

Only position really missing is RB and Faulk is perfect for the job.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to Re: Duuude: Faulk, RB situation, and the draft:
    [QUOTE]Settle down quaggy, you sound like tenacious t. Tampa Bay or Atlanta, whatever, we released an nfl starter caliber rookie to an nfc south team with red colors. Don't have a heart attack and let your day be ruined, while intentionally missing my point. That's pathetic and I don't deserve that degree of ridicule. 2. Edelman showed some really confident punt returning toward the end of the year, and excelled as a rushing quarterback in college. Since he seems to be buried on the depth chart behind Welker and Branch, it's not a stretch to say he has the POTENTIAL to fill in in the backfield for an injured player and make a decent impact. Edelman dropping passes last year as a wr has little to do with his potential to contribute as a backup rb, and given that he is a converted qb and caught passes quite well as a rookie, his dropped passes last year don't even have much to do with his potential as a wr. Word out of player practices last week was that he was very positive. Hernandez was talked about as a FB/HB option from day one. The limited stats you posted only re-enforce the idea that he has potential out of the backfield. We have 3 other TEs on the roster, two of which are proven reliable receivers, one of which is an emerging star. Lining up from the backfield more often would be a way to keep the talented Hernandez on the field more, and I'm not talking once every three games. Nothing radical or shocking in my thinking here, and you're borderline smart enough to realize that. Also not how I spelt "you're". Think back to 3rd grade and try to remember that it is a contraction of "you" and "are" - preferably before you next tell somebody, "your an idiot." Tool. Don't forget that Hernandez was the youngest player in the league last year as well. Projection is required to assess the potential of a 21 yo to do anything on the football field. Same goes for converted qbs like Edelman. Projection, and not the kind of projection where you take out your real life frustrations on anonymous internet posters to make yourself feel like a tough, smart guy. So far, that's the only projection you've shown any talent in, but I'm projecting that you have a bit of potential to project players' potential in the future. If you want to say that this projection of mine is idiotic...I can be convinced. 4. You finally make a valid point, after wasting so much time distorting my other arguments. Congrats man, it must feel good. Try to chill out a little more, even if that means getting stoned once in a while. Find your stress reliever and leave well meaning fellow Pats fans out of it.

Duuuude I wont have a debate with someone who show so little regard for facts that he will say "Tampa Bay or Atlanta, whatever, we released an nfl starter caliber rookie to an nfc south team with red colors." lol As for the rest of your rant its as idiotic as your original post. But you did prove me wrong about one thing, you wrote this because of point # 3, not 1 or 2!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Riiiight. At least you kept it short this time. When you lose, say less, lol.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Maybe faulk makes the team, but does anyone really think he's better than woody at this point? I don't see how he does more than woody. Obviously Faulk is a great patriot, but woody has shown all the potential to be the same type of character player. Plus he's younger, quicker, faster, and stronger. I just don't see Faulk as adding value, especially after watching the first two games last year. You add a serious injury to that and I don't see how Faulk can be the same guy he was two years ago.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

A few sports sites said Woody was a one year wonder?

What does that even mean? Is that an attempt at an argument? What are these sports sites? Why the ridiculous trade scenario? I have many questions after reading your post.

[QUOTE]Well a few sports sights say Woody was a one year wonder. If BB believes that and he decides VAreen can learn behind Faulk - does he trade Woody? Or if Ridley is the answer would BB trade BJGE? I only say that if they keep Faulk - I dont see BB keeping 5 RBs as they will need to keep 4 TEs unless Crump starts on PUP.
    Posted by Patriots1970[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickforPresident. Show BelichickforPresident's posts

I kinda hate to agree with the Woodhead thing (not the BB mentally sipping Pina Coladas during this year's draft thing).  This is a league of adjustments, and last years wildcat formation becomes this years kitty litter.  Woodhead is athletic, does a bunch of things well, but it is a possibility that he will never have the success he had this past, surprising season.
    As for Faulk, love him, but he is old, was considering retirement last year.  Can't run on reputation.  He'll have to work hard to make the team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Here's an example of an undrafted rb who could have easily filled the Ridley role, and we could have grabbed him in the 7th or as a rookie fa. Many people had him ranked higher than Ridley anyway. You can argue that Ridley is better, but the positional depth at rb in this draft vs depth at other positions should have dictated waiting and taking the best bruising back to fall to the 6th, 7th, or undrafted status. a starting caliber guard in Moffit was taken right after Ridley and Mallet, a deep threat in Hankerson as well, and guys at other positions too. Vereen, Leshoure, or Thomas in the 2nd, then wait and take a complimentary back late. That should have been the obvious gameplan, if the draft had been better respected by BB. My opinion, so spare me the histrionics. www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/rb/darren-evans.shtml

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

If Hernandez is to have his role changed to some degree it will probably be him being setting as a WR or flexing off the tackle or even going in motion,effectively making him a WR.This depends to a degree on their fifth round pick,TE,Simth,out of Marshall.He was the best blocking TE in this year's draft(and a young man who has very good hands and a huge body and can be effective in third and short as an adjunct to the ground game)and a three TE end set with Gronk,Smith or Crumpler and Hernandez could easily become a double TE set with Hernandez splitting off the tackle or even going in motion.The Pats quartet of TE's may well be the deepest and most versatile in the game.Woodhead has a variety of skills and as B.B. game plans literally game to game I believe we'll see a lot in some games and less in others,depending upon the opponent,as will be the case for every RB on the team.As for Moffitt,I though higly of him but the Pats saw him at the combine and his proday and even brought him in for a visit prior to the draft and simply opted nopt to take him and it's any fans guess as to why B.B. took pass on him.Mallet amy simpl;y turn out to be the best value in the draft and remember B.B. met personally with him and said he felt comfortable drafting him.Goodness knows he has the physical tools to excel in the NFL,a serious work ethic when it comes to football and is in the best organization in the league(IMO)to turn around what attitude and behavioral problems he may have exhibited in the past.Vereen has the skill set(from running to catching the ball to pass protecting)to be a prime back and Ridley gives them a short yardage back who can also catch the ball and will hit dogging LB'ers.It should fascinating to watch how N.E. uses these backs on a game to game basis.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Faulk "was" a great player, but it's time to cut ties and pickup a player that can rush the passer.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

If the Pats decide to keep 5 RB's then Faulk will be on the team....Bill however may decide to start the season with Faulk on the PUP list & let him heal some more seeing how the other 4 work as a committee.....then he can either activate Faulk or give him the option to retire mid season....my guess is Faulk starts season on PUP then gets activated week 6....unless someone gets hurt in camp or preseason then that changes everything...

Bills pickup of Vereen was awesome & Ridley looks to be a great pick up as well....Bill now has a high character,young,fast.powerful, stable of players to use in an endless array of formations & packages....I have absolutly no problem with who & when he selected in this years draft, as a matter of fact I think it will turn out to be one of his best in a long time...the players he got fill both immediate & long term needs as well as adding depth to critical areas....I also love the fact he added 2 high round draft picks to next years draft....

I wouldn't be surprised to see bill trade away a couple DB's for either picks or players once free agency starts....Meriweather,Butler & Whilhite as well as Arrington may become barganing chips for teams that are hurting in that area.... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

That's the best solution I've heard so far DC. PUP for Faulk, get his leadership without counting a roster spot. By week 6 or whatever, chances are the situation will shake itself out somehow. One thing the backfield still lacks is a lethal homerun threat, but bjge, vereen, and ridley should all be able to carry a full load if ever needed to. 'Tis what 'tis.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonMex2. Show RonMex2's posts

Shane Vereen will be a stud..BJGE will be let go next year for FA...I saw good video on Vereen at http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath1.html 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Killa, you know I love you but I think you're wrong. What's with this 'Unless I see him do it two years in a row' thing. Did you say that for Tom Brady in 2001? Keep Bledsoe and wait and see on Brady? I'm glad BB didn't take hat route. That's an unrealistic time horizon in today's nfl.

In fact, BB was very impressed with how Woody was picking up the offense in his very first week of practice (which is why he played AND contributed).

I agree Faulk is a great leader, but leader's still need to play. Based on last year's first two games, Faulk looked old and slow. Add an injury and what type of player do you expect? 

[QUOTE]Does anyone really think Faulk is a better player then Woody at this stage? Answer: I do. Woodhead to me needs to be treated like a rookie, he had ONE good season in the Kevin Faulk role where as Kevin Faulk has had like 10 great seasons in a row playing that same role. So till Woodhead does it at least 2 seasons in a row I am not sold on him. Kevin Faulk is the BEST pass blocking RB in the NFL IMO. He reads a defense like a QB, he has two of the best hands of any RB in the NFL, and he is a veteran leader in that locker room who commands respect from the entire team. He is the Troy Brown of that locker room. Those are all things he brings to the table that Woodhead does not bring. The only thing thats in question is whether or not Faulk can still run the ball and make the cuts he used to make. So if he cant make those runs anymore thats where Woodhead and the other young guys come in handy but everything else Faulk will still be good at IMO. People want to write him off and I get that but I think he will make a lot of people look stupid for counting him out.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I'm sorry, but Woody is still their fastest back. I know it's sexy to talk about the new guys, but BJGE and Woody did a very good job last year. Perhaps BJGE is a bit limited in terms of being a home run threat, but I don't see why Woody is being thrown aside after many good plays last year. They didn't miss Faulk (a very good player for this team before last year) bc of woody, but now he's not even mentioned? That's silly. You people are missing something here.

[QUOTE]That's the best solution I've heard so far DC. PUP for Faulk, get his leadership without counting a roster spot. By week 6 or whatever, chances are the situation will shake itself out somehow. One thing the backfield still lacks is a lethal homerun threat, but bjge, vereen, and ridley should all be able to carry a full load if ever needed to. 'Tis what 'tis.

Sections
Shortcuts