DVR review...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

DVR review...

Glad to see Leon Washington returning kicks now even though he got snagged at the ten on his first one.

Why is Bloount starting over Bolden?

Total miscue by the OLine on Brady's first sack, Mankins should have chipped Atkins, Solder couldn't reach him in time.  The Bengal's D might have to be ground and pounded to death before the play action works.

Good punt by Allen.

In the first defensive series it's evident why Joe Vellano can't start.  What made it possible for Wilfork and Kelly to run this four man front was that both could play a controlling gap or a shooting gap style of play. With Vellano he has to shoot the gap every time because he can't hold his ground, teams can now run through his gap any time the like and run away from Kelly.  He can be neutralized by one blocker.

Great play by Mayo standing Benny up ending the drive.

Patriots need to run more, until you've proven the intent to run the play action is ineffective. If you insist on passing, don't use play action.

Good to see ILloka starting for Cincy, I liked this kid coming out of college.

Another punt...

I'll stop the DVR to watch this Dodge ad, Ron Burgundy rules.

Our linebackers are really good.

Chandler Jones with a shoe string sack, clean up by Ninck, great play.

Running right at the Bengal's defense is working, keep at it.

Great shake by Thomkins for the first down.

Darn, if Bolden caught that screen pass its a TD.

Again good directional punting by Allen.

Over pursuit by Hightower.

Tightends killing us again.  Great play calling by Jay Gruden of Cincy.

Another good run by Benny, Vellano is a non factor falling flat on his face, Bengals are in the redzone.

Chris Jones enters the game, run D stiffens.

Great INT by Spikes in red zone, bend don't break.

Mike Mulligan has to be yelled at by Brady to know to go in motion.

Great end around by Edelman, finally some razzle dazzle by McDaniels.

Is Amendola in this game?

Another punt...

Another great play by Mayo, swallowed up the running back on a swing pass ending another Bengal drive.

Fumble by Blount

Spikes shoots the gap, great play.

Vellano, no push at all

Mayo stuffs Benard on what should have been a mismatch.

Chris Jones with the sack, this guy should start over Vellano.

Defensive battle in the first half.

Devin McCourty returning kickoffs before the half, Pats looking for a spark...

Amendola and Edelman back to back with a Bolden run in the middle, this is what our offense should look like.

Dobson on a screen play is poor play calling, the guy is 6'3"

Good punt by Allen dropping it on their five yard line.

Mayo sheds blocks, it's what he does.

Kick is good by Ghost, good to see his confidence is back.

Halftime.

Great play Talib to end the Begals first drive in the 2nd half.

Bolden out of the backfield is a good receiving option.

C'mon Amendola!

This third down offense is horrid.

Stunning punt by Allen, that he is the high point for the Pats to this point isn't ideal.

Mayo having an all pro game, great coverage.

Vellano is useless against the run, the guy is a midget. 

Tightends killing us still...

Mayo with a sack... Not surprisingly Kelly and Chris Jones were the D tackles.

Chris Jones holds up against the run on the very next play, get this kid more snaps.

Drag your feet Talib and you'd have an INT, that's why he's not a receiver.

The kickers for both teams have shown up.

Nice juggling catch by Edelman.

Third down offense is putrid, this Bengal's defense is very good.

Another great punt by Allen.

Tommy Kelly great sack.

Nice throw and catch by Cincy in their end zone.

Tommy Kelly grabbing his knee... are you kidding me?

Bring AJ Francis up from the practice squad.

Kelly back in the game, great news.

Kelly limps off again...

We're light up front.

Great catch and run by Dobson... hold onto the ball rookie.

Why are we bunching up in the red zone, spread them out for cripessakes.

Solder was held on that pass attempt, he would have caught a TD there, c'mon refs...

Terrible pass play, you don't run play action out of the shotgun, waste of time...

Field goal when you're down by two scores in the 4th... ok.

No nose tackle on our team, we're susceptable to the run, game over.

Kelly is still out there on the bike, good sign.

Great helmet on the ball by McCourty, great fumble recovery by Mayo.

Bengals just running the clock out but forced to punt.

The rain comes pouring down before the final drive, as if the universe itself doesn't want us to mount a comeback and win.

In summation; pray for Kelly's return, hope that Belichick gets over his love affair with Vellano.  The offense was terrible, they took no shots to Dobson downfield until the end of the game and it was already over, the play calling was erratic and poorly executed, there was no fire by the offense until the game was nearly done or in the two minute drill.  

The good news is Chris Jones can play some, hopefully Kelly is healthy enough to play next week and they bring Francis or Fortson up to replace Vellano, the defense was superb and hopefully the offense will improve.

This isn't the end, they had to lose at some point.  Negative Nancies please don't lose perspective.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: DVR review...

Yup, that's the way I saw it too.   I'll be disappointed if Vellano starts over Jones in the next game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Yup, that's the way I saw it too.   I'll be disappointed if Vellano starts over Jones in the next game.

Yeah it's not like Jones is overpowering but Vellano is a non factor, he gets blown off the ball and is only effective rushing upfield and even then he hasn't exactly been a sack master.  Jones can hold his ground, Fortson was better than Vellano, I don't know enough about Francis to say he's better but he is definitely bigger.

Over all the defense was great, I hope Kelly just got dinged up or we're going to be desperately thin at DT.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harvey-Wallbanger.Show Harvey-Wallbanger's posts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustchise.Show Bustchise's posts

I guess this won't be a very enlightening discussion for anyone...

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

Yeah it's not like Jones is overpowering but Vellano is a non factor, he gets blown off the ball and is only effective rushing upfield and even then he hasn't exactly been a sack master.  Jones can hold his ground, Fortson was better than Vellano, I don't know enough about Francis to say he's better but he is definitely bigger.

Over all the defense was great, I hope Kelly just got dinged up or we're going to be desperately thin at DT.

[/QUOTE]

Wozzy thank you for the write up. I agree with everything you saying about the D. Even though they did well yesterday, there is room for improvement.  

What do you think will help improve the OL?  Is personnel/ play-calling really hurting them.  It seems this year they are using a TE as another part of the line instead of chipping and having them in position to be an outlet pass. Same can be said about the RB.  It is frustrating to see other teams always getting big plays from using their outlet when the D has good coverage. 

I think this will help two fold, if you burn a team a few time will the outlet they have to keep a LB back in the middle zone.  

Yesterday TB barely did any checks at line compared to last year, is this all because of the new wr group?  TB bread and butter is short to mid timing routes mostly over the middle, why do you think Josh went away from that?

Thanks again for a great write up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Agreed on Vellano/Jones. Time to bring AJ Francis up from the practice squad. Kelly (when healthy), Jones, and Francis should be your top-3 interior DL, with Vellano being a last resort.

Not only was Jones better than Vellano, but he played particularly well. The guy has potential. Get him on the field more. I think AJ Francis could have a similar impact if he saw the field.

Let's go Pats!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

why is Washington on this team/ he has been hurt since the get go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have been banging this drum regarding Vellano for 3 weeks now. He isn't big enough nor strong enough to play the defense that BB wants to play. Yes, he will get lucky in a gap and make a play, but he is not ready for snaps and should be on the PS getting stronger...

Unfortunately, I was not anamored with Fortson this summer. This is his 3rd year in the system, and still a PS player...I have not seen enough of Francis to have an opinion....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I have been banging this drum regarding Vellano for 3 weeks now. He isn't big enough nor strong enough to play the defense that BB wants to play. Yes, he will get lucky in a gap and make a play, but he is not ready for snaps and should be on the PS getting stronger...

Unfortunately, I was not anamored with Fortson this summer. This is his 3rd year in the system, and still a PS player...I have not seen enough of Francis to have an opinion....

You bang A LOT of drums, which is why you're the boy who cried wolf around here, Mr Debbie Downer.

Also, it's "enamored", Mr MBA. You don't get MBAs when you can't spell middle school level words correctly.

I can see why you are disliked around here.  You don't have any friends, do you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Wozzy, I have noticed this about Thompkins all year and its really a lack of fundamentals. He lets everything into the body which is why he bobbles so many passes. I have also noticed this about Dobson although the one catch he had yesterday was all hands. Did you dvr reiews show this?

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:

Wozzy thank you for the write up. I agree with everything you saying about the D. Even though they did well yesterday, there is room for improvement.  

What do you think will help improve the OL?  Is personnel/ play-calling really hurting them.  It seems this year they are using a TE as another part of the line instead of chipping and having them in position to be an outlet pass. Same can be said about the RB.  It is frustrating to see other teams always getting big plays from using their outlet when the D has good coverage. 

I think this will help two fold, if you burn a team a few time will the outlet they have to keep a LB back in the middle zone.  

Yesterday TB barely did any checks at line compared to last year, is this all because of the new wr group?  TB bread and butter is short to mid timing routes mostly over the middle, why do you think Josh went away from that?

I don't see anything wrong with the O Line, the backs had a relatively easy time running the ball, especially up the middle, but only having one undersized tightend/oversized fullback in Huey on the field is definitely hurting the offense.  

Look at what the Bengals did yesterday, Andy Dalton couldn't get much going either but he had multiple tightends to fall back on to move the chains.  It also really hurt us down on the goal line, although I also think there were play calling miscues as well, bunching the entire offense up down on the goal after Dobson's long reception was terrible.  Even if you want to smash it in you have to create a threat out on the edge to give the illusion you might heave it up for a jump ball.  Also why not put Cannon or Connolly out there to play fullback if you insist on smashing it in.  

In short the offense never sustained any rhythm, they didn't get in a groove, and let's not take anything away from the Bengal's defense, they are great.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:

Wozzy, I have noticed this about Thompkins all year and its really a lack of fundamentals. He lets everything into the body which is why he bobbles so many passes. I have also noticed this about Dobson although the one catch he had yesterday was all hands. Did you dvr reiews show this?

I saw a lot of miscues in the passing game, some rainy day drops and not by the rookies but by Edelman and Amendola, also some passes that were behind receivers, I can't really point at one thing wrong other than rhythm.  

Thompkins and Dobson both have to get to the point where being on the field in the NFL isn't intimidating, once they get to a point where it is natural for them a lot of these bobbled balls will be catches.  Thompkins also almost made some circus catches on balls that had no business being caught so he will improve.

I don't thnik Dobson gets enough targets, we need to throw at him some more.  I really thought we'd see him on the field down near the goal line more also...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My guess is the quick, short timing routes aren't possible with inexperienced receivers or receivers who haven't practiced with Brady.  If we had kept Welker, we'd still be seeing those plays.  

Amendola seemed slow to me. Hope it's just temporary, but I'm concerned that groin is going to affect his agility all year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Agreed on Vellano/Jones. Time to bring AJ Francis up from the practice squad. Kelly (when healthy), Jones, and Francis should be your top-3 interior DL, with Vellano being a last resort.

Not only was Jones better than Vellano, but he played particularly well. The guy has potential. Get him on the field more. I think AJ Francis could have a similar impact if he saw the field.

Let's go Pats!

Jones is a late pick up.  Vellano may be starting now simply because he's had more time to learn the D.  Jones may play a bigger role as he learns the system.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

Yeah.  I said this during the game thread yesterday.  He needs to learn to catch with his hands. Too many of his receptions are caught on the rebound from his body. Maybe he should try being a hockey goalie the way he controls the rebounds Surprised

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Been saying this too long now, hate the shotgun. You need a mobile QB, for it to work properly. Play-action dont need it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Amendola seemed slow making circus catches and bailing Brady out? Isn't that convenient. Was he slow when he abused the Cincy secondary, wide open at the 3?

Funny. He made the catch Welker didn't make in SB 46.

Funny how this stuff comes around full circle, huh Prolate?

Slow may be the wrong word.  He didn't seem as sharp out of his cuts as he did before the injury. He also had one awful drop, though the catch near the goal line was nice.

What's truly funny is how you've completely reversed your opinion about the Welker drop in SB 46.  Back then it wasn't a drop by Welker, just a terrible pass by Brady. Now it's a Welker drop.  Don't think we don't remember what you said.  Heck, you say the same thing so much over and over again, it's impossible to forget.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

What's truly funny is how you've completely reversed your opinion about the Welker drop in SB 46.  Back then it wasn't a drop by Welker, just a terrible pass by Brady. Now it's a Welker drop.  Don't think we don't remember what you said.  Heck, you say the same thing so much over and over again, it's impossible to forget.

With these folks it's not hard to explain the change.  They have a strick narrative and never deviate from the talking points (think TASS news anchor under the USSR).  So, when you defend BB under all circumstances the talking points for WW change the moment he leaves the roster.  They have to because BB moved on without WW.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You bang A LOT of drums, which is why you're the boy who cried wolf around here, Mr Debbie Downer.

Also, it's "enamored", Mr MBA. You don't get MBAs when you can't spell middle school level words correctly.

[/QUOTE]

As I have mentioned on other posts, I have been very fair and complimenting of most every player and coach, except I didnt like what I saw from Ballard (injury related), Wilson (age) and Jenkins (age)...I was also unhappy with the roster decisions, feeling some decisions were made with an eye to the cap next year, not wins this year...other than that, I have not been critical in the least

My earlier criticism of how the Hern situation was handled was more ot the owner/GM level...not player/coach issues....

At Harvard, an MBA (30 years ago) required little to no writing Mr spellcheck police...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [/QUOTE]

Jones is a late pick up.  Vellano may be starting now simply because he's had more time to learn the D.  Jones may play a bigger role as he learns the system.

[/QUOTE]

Good posts here Prolate, hope you're right about Jones and that he gets more reps.  Also would like to see Francis so it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if Kelly had to miss a game but it wouldn't be ideal.

Sections
Shortcuts