Dwight Freeney, next year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Dwight Freeney, next year?

A league source tells Pro Football Weekly that OLB Dwight Freeney is unlikely to be back with the Colts in 2013.

The writing has been on the wall for this one ever since Chuck Pagano took over as head coach and installed the 3-4 defense in Indy. Freeney is in the final year of his contract and making a whopping $14.035 million. His transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB hasn't been a smooth one, as he's amassed just four tackles and one sack in five games played. Freeney, 32, has been battling an ankle injury for much of the year, too.

Nink is playing very well right now, but would you guys kick the tires on this idea?  He'll probably command too much money, but it's worth a thought. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

Re: Dwight Freeney, next year?

I'd bring him in, but i doubt Dwight would come cheap. Never hurts to try though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm not sure.  He will be 33 at the end of this season, hasn't done much this year so far..  A couple years ago for sure, next season ???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

It would mean you have to cut ties with eirther Cunningham or Bequette right?

Jones is obv. a future pro-bowler and Nink just a solid big-play guy that has a starting DE spot until someone takes it from him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Jones is obv. a future pro-bowler and Nink just a solid big-play guy that has a starting DE spot until someone takes it from him.

oh no not cunningham.........!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Damn, he's still playing in the league?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I mean it's always good to have pass rushers, but I don't know if Freeney can still play. Anyone seen him play recently? I haven't - if he still has that burst throughout that spin move that he uses then I wouldn't mind, but I think he only plays the right side (where Jones is). I guess you could move him, but I don't want to mess with our best player on defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Prolly will end up like Addai, Clark, and Gonzales...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

Next year he'll be older, with more wear and expensive. No thanks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Freeney knows his status in the league right now.  He knows his age and knows the money won't be there.  I don't think of him as stupid.  He got his big contract and now would probably like to go out a winner.  So I expect him to hook up with a team that's in the SB hunt.  Money always plays a part in these things but I suspect him to look for a win/win situation. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to rameakap's comment:

oh no not cunningham.........!

What's the deal with Bequette?  I think he was a 3rd rounder, supposed to be a high motor pass rusher....  I don't think he's even seen the field in the regular season so far.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

With current lack of draft picks in some rounds he might just be worth it. He also knows SB chances are dwindling and that generally changes some guys idea of worth and how to get their worth thru incentives.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

It might be interesting if he has something left in the tank.  He's got to have more than Ninkovich (speedwise) even now... It would be nice to rotate him and Nink at the DE spot...the putting Ninkovich exactly into the role that Vrabel mastered...he was that hybrid guy who could do everything. 

It'll be something to ponder going into the offseason next year, but depending on the contractual demands by Freeney, he might be productive in our system. (Never thought I'd say that about those smaller Colt DEs, but BB is going a bit smaller/quicker than in years past)

Sections
Shortcuts