Dwight Freeney will not be back with the colts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Dwight Freeney will not be back with the colts

I think he wants big money...won`t be with the pats

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: Dwight Freeney will not be back with the colts

now where did i place my 10' stick?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'd take him over Nink, the guy had 5 sacks in 14 games playing OLB (A position he never played before). Give him a full offseason back at DE and watch out, I still think the Pats need a pass-rusher! 

I'm not a fan of Rob Ninkovich! He isn't a consistent pass-rusher, he makes a play every once in a while, but he doesn't require double coverage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

I'd take him over Nink, the guy had 5 sacks in 14 games playing OLB (A position he never played before). Give him a full offseason back at DE and watch out, I still think the Pats need a pass-rusher! 

I'm not a fan of Rob Ninkovich! He isn't a consistent pass-rusher, he makes a play every once in a while, but he doesn't require double coverage.

nink is the guy that makes big plays when needed.  he is exactly the type of guy we need! especially since he is a cheap hard worker.  very similar to vrable

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

if we get him we don`t have to spend a pick with a DE in the first round.IMO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

We shouldn't have to draft a DE in the first round, we have drafted two last season really high. We drafted Chandler and No Show Bequette, who people applauded as the steal of the draft on this board, in the 1st and 3rd round respectably. 

Chandler was touted as the guy who needed a year to get mass, but Bequette was supposed to be the NFL ready guy. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

We shouldn't have to draft a DE in the first round, we have drafted two last season really high. We drafted Chandler and No Show Bequette, who people applauded as the steal of the draft on this board, in the 1st and 3rd round respectably. 

Chandler was touted as the guy who needed a year to get mass, but Bequette was supposed to be the NFL ready guy. 

yeah I tought Bequette would make a little impact, please could u tell me why he didn`t play?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

nink is the guy that makes big plays when needed.  he is exactly the type of guy we need! especially since he is a cheap hard worker.  very similar to vrable

Chandler beat him in hurries, hits, and pressure last season and Chandler faced more double coverage. Ninkovich was a once in a game wonder, he'd show up and FF and everyone would act like he's the second coming of LT. 

He was mediocre, at best. 

I want someone who will eat up single coverage when VW and Chandler get doubled, Chandler is working with his brothers this offseason to add mass so we're sure to see that happen. He can't alway beat double coverage, someone has to help. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

yeah I tought Bequette would make a little impact, please could u tell me why he didn`t play?

That's a good question, I have no clue, but I hate him already. Sorry, Chandler beat out Ninkovich in week 1 of TC and never looked back. Rob Ninkovich shouldn't be able to keep ANYONE off the field. 

This is like when Wilhite kept Butler off the field, should've known Butler wouldn't make an impact. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kildog. Show kildog's posts

Nink has trouble setting the corner against a good running team - something Vrable never had trouble with - "Their not running here!"  used to be the Pat's defensive cry during SB years - not anymore.  Freeney any better at setting the corner?  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

as usual 49,

im in agreement

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

No one is honestly thinking we should sign a 33 year old defensive end, are they? I loved this guy in his prime - had the best spin move I've ever seen...it took Light years to learn how to defend it without massive help, but he's 33 now. I guess stranger things have happened, but I'd pass.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

No one is honestly thinking we should sign a 33 year old defensive end, are they? I loved this guy in his prime - had the best spin move I've ever seen...it took Light years to learn how to defend it without massive help, but he's 33 now. I guess stranger things have happened, but I'd pass.

A 33 year old to a 2 year 6 million deal? Heck yes I'm saying that, the guy may not be the guy who TB and Light had to worry about all the time, but we don't need him to be. We just need him to make teams pay when they slide protection to the left and leave the LDE/DT in single coverage. Freeny can still do that, as can Osi, but I think Dwight might come for a lot lower price. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

exactly why my offseason starts with a pass rusher. been saying that since we lost (and before)

that and talib 2 most important things.

tehn if you want to add a safety and or wr fine.

in draft we can then go rhodes and top big outside wr who can separate and has hands in rd 2 (or if hes gone, wr adn cb in 1st 2 rds)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

What are all those 10 foot pole marks on freeney ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

A 33 year old to a 2 year 6 million deal? Heck yes I'm saying that, the guy may not be the guy who TB and Light had to worry about all the time, but we don't need him to be. We just need him to make teams pay when they slide protection to the left and leave the LDE/DT in single coverage. Freeny can still do that, as can Osi, but I think Dwight might come for a lot lower price. 

I think you're making a couple of stretch assumptions here...one of them is that he is going to sign for 2 years 3 million. The other is that he is going to be productive and stay healthy to actually make a meaningful contribution at his age - I could also throw in what I think is the fact that he typically has always had success on the right side. If you put him on the left side you will be asking the guy to take on more of a power type of roll, and this is a undersized guy as it is, plus I can't see him wanting to change at this stage in his career.

I could be totally wrong - I haven't really followed the last two years of his career, but prior to that he was always a rusher from the spot that Chandler is now playing (right side). I can't see the 6 foot Freeny going up against massive right tackles and tight ends...it may give us the same problem we have with Ninc (not very strong in the run game when he is over there).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

maybe on freeny but I would rather see us invest on the interior of the line...we have a ton of de's on the roster...u could argue if they are any good. I am holding out hope that bequette steps up. I also think with fletcher back in the mix as a lb, we might see bb use Hightower more as de opposite jones. He is not an elite pass rusher but he can get pressure and set an edge. 

Anyway, we have options on the current roster. Freeny and osi are going to cost and I would rather invest in a DT next to vw that can penetrate and require doubles, or a safety next to mccourty that can sure up the backend...heck if Talib walks we have a whole new set of issues. De not a priority.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In the last decade, according ESPN's own John Clayton. No DE selected after the 10 slot in the draft has recorded a double digit sack total in his rookie season. So it's unlikely that the Pat's will be able to add an impact DE draftng at the end of the first round? As such, why waste the pick. This years draft is no different, since it's a premium position to begin with the Pats would basically be left with table scraps. My guess is they go big with thier first pick, an interior lineman (DT or a G). Belicheck might even trade out of the first round entirely and use the moneys slotted for a first rounder on a free agent or for multiple picks later after trading down.

It's all about how best to utelize the available roster slots and salary cap moneys...

Top free agents: Welker, Vollmer & Talib...suffice to say. I doubt the Patriots are going to give Welker 15M plus per...No disprespect to Wes, but he's a very replaceable asset in the slot. In fact we have a couple of in house guys at the ready to do just that in Woodhead & Edleman...Vollmer and Talib are both far more valuable in the big picture.

Team Needs: In order of importance 1) SS, 2) CB, 3) DT, 4) OL, 5) WR.

the good news is that this years free agent class is deep with options for the safty poistion...here's the link to the full article...below is the eval on each...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/15/3858582/2013-nfl-free-agents-safeties

The free agent crop of safeties is loaded with young talent, but there are also a couple of veterans who could have options if they decide to keep playing.

The 2013 crop of free agent safeties isn't lacking on talent, as three of the six Pro Bowlers are going to hit the market. Not only that, but there is a combination of veterans and rising stars. Here is a closer look at the top safeties who will hit the free agent market. Best Available

Jairus Byrd: Byrd isn't one of the three players who made the Pro Bowl, but that doesn't mean he isn't the best available free agent. The 26-year-old turned in another excellent season in Buffalo and is rated as the best free agent safety by Pro Football Focus, and it isn't close. Byrd finished the season with 76 tackles, four forced fumbles, five interceptions and five tackles for loss, proving he can play both the run and excel in coverage. He may not have the name recognition of others, but Byrd will be a big acquisition wherever he ends up.

Dashon Goldson: Goldson didn't generate a lot of interest when he was a free agent two seasons ago, but he will have a bigger market this time around. After making the Pro Bowl last season, the 49ers used the franchise tag to keep Goldson in 2012. He made the Pro Bowl again this season and it would cost the 49ers nearly $7.5 million to franchise him again. If the 49ers don't use the franchise tag, they may have to enter a bidding war to keep him.

William Moore: After playing in just two games as a rookie, Moore took on a much bigger role in his second year and has produced at a high level since. He's had injury issues the past two seasons, including missing four games this season for Atlanta, but when he's on the field he's proven to be a playmaker. He finished this season with 75 tackles, a sack, two forced fumbles and four interceptions.

LaRon Landry: After two injury-plagued seasons ended his career in Washington, Landry rebounded in 2012 with the New York Jets. He finished the season with 99 tackles and two interceptions on his way to earning the first Pro Bowl invitation of his career. While he may not be the best coverage safety available, Landry is known to be one of the more physical safeties in the NFL.

Stevie Brown: Brown has played for three different teams during his three-year career, but excelled as a starter for the Giants last season. He will be a restricted free agent this season, but could interest teams enough to be tendered an offer. Brown started 11 games this season, finishing with 76 tackles, 11 pass deflections and eight interceptions.

Ed Reed/Ronde Barber: Both Reed and Barber have spent their entire careers with one team. Both, however, will be free agents and could interest teams if they decide to test the market. Reed still has a knack for pulling the ball out of the air. He had four interceptions during the season and big one in the Ravens' Super Bowl win. Retirement could also be an option for both, though seems less likely for Reed.

Honorable mention

Chris Clemons, Patrick Chung, Glover Quin, Louis Delmas, Kenny Phillips

The full list

Jairus Byrd
    Dashon Goldson
    Ed Reed
    Ronde Barber
    William Moore
    Louis Delmas
    Chris Clemons
    Glover Quin
    Kenny Phillips
    LaRon Landry
    George Wilson
    Pat Chung
    Yeremiah Bell
    Jamarca Sanford
    Nate Clements
    Jim Leonhard
    Abram Elam
    Sherrod Martin
    Corey Lynch
    Craig Dahl
    Madieu Williams
    Chris Crocker
    Ryan Mundy
    Rashad Johnson
    O.J. Atogwe
    Matt Giordano
    Tanard Jackson
    Brodney Pool
    Michael Mitchell
    Gibril Wilson
    Deon Grant
    Melvin Bullitt
    Erik Coleman

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Best NFL free agents by position

Cornerbacks — However here's a spot where clubs will likely be more willing to invest. Aqib Talib, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Sean Smith, Brent Grimes, Mike Jenkins, Chris Houston, Derek Cox and Tracy Porter have a wide array of issues, but their talent is a common denominator.

Defensive tackles — Need a gap-shooting penetrator? Go after Chicago Bears Pro Bowler Henry Melton. Prefer someone who can two-gap and stuff the run? Randy Starks and Isaac Sopoaga fit that bill. Crafty veteran? How about Richard Seymour or Casey Hampton.

Offensive tackles — Ryan Clady might be the best left tackle in the league, which is why there's virtually zero chance he'll be leaving Denver. But Jake Long may not be staying in South Florida. Long is a four-time Pro Bowler, but his resume and ability may not quite align, especially given the arm injuries that have curtailed his past two seasons. Still, plenty of teams will probably line up to woo the top pick of the 2008 draft. Branden Albert, Sam Baker and Jermon Bushrod are all solid alternatives.

Guards/centers — Not much to be excited about here with the possible exception of Buffalo Bills guard Andy Levitre. Centers Dan Koppen, Todd McClure and Brad Meester are all near the end of the line.

Wide receiver — Greg Jennings, who's both a great guy and great player, may draw the most interest. Injuries have hampered him the past two seasons, but he appeared to be back in top form by the time the playoffs rolled around this season. Teams valuing size can court Dwayne Bowe; those who covet deep speed will pursue Mike Wallace; slot stars Wes Welker and Danny Amendola could also be options.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/11/best-free-agents-by-position/1909147/

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

maybe on freeny but I would rather see us invest on the interior of the line...we have a ton of de's on the roster...u could argue if they are any good. I am holding out hope that bequette steps up. I also think with fletcher back in the mix as a lb, we might see bb use Hightower more as de opposite jones. He is not an elite pass rusher but he can get pressure and set an edge. 

Anyway, we have options on the current roster. Freeny and osi are going to cost and I would rather invest in a DT next to vw that can penetrate and require doubles, or a safety next to mccourty that can sure up the backend...heck if Talib walks we have a whole new set of issues. De not a priority.

"if Talib walks we have a whole new set of issues. De not a priority."

as i see it, pass rush is #1 priority. wihtout it htis de will not accomlish its goal. our pass rush is brutal. witnes ravens game. even wiht good cbs we are nto gonna come up big against better o lines.

#1pass rush, #2 big cbs, #3 big outside wr who can separate. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

"if Talib walks we have a whole new set of issues. De not a priority."

as i see it, pass rush is #1 priority. wihtout it htis de will not accomlish its goal. our pass rush is brutal. witnes ravens game. even wiht good cbs we are nto gonna come up big against better o lines.

#1pass rush, #2 big cbs, #3 big outside wr who can separate. 

yeah you`re right, that`s why I think we have to draft a cb in the first round...we just need a safety too, about Elam his cover skills that concerns me we just have a good safety against the run in Chung but he can`t cover we don`t need another safety wich can`t cover...his size concerns me too, big TE and WR could beat him easily...we need to draft Rhodes, Trunfant or banks in the first round.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We have edge rushers, we don't win rings anymore because we lose inside the trenches.

Sections
Shortcuts