Dwight Freeney will not be back with the colts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Dwight Freeney will not be back with the colts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

maybe on freeny but I would rather see us invest on the interior of the line...we have a ton of de's on the roster...u could argue if they are any good. I am holding out hope that bequette steps up. I also think with fletcher back in the mix as a lb, we might see bb use Hightower more as de opposite jones. He is not an elite pass rusher but he can get pressure and set an edge. 

Anyway, we have options on the current roster. Freeny and osi are going to cost and I would rather invest in a DT next to vw that can penetrate and require doubles, or a safety next to mccourty that can sure up the backend...heck if Talib walks we have a whole new set of issues. De not a priority.

"if Talib walks we have a whole new set of issues. De not a priority."

as i see it, pass rush is #1 priority. wihtout it htis de will not accomlish its goal. our pass rush is brutal. witnes ravens game. even wiht good cbs we are nto gonna come up big against better o lines.

#1pass rush, #2 big cbs, #3 big outside wr who can separate. 

yeah you`re right, that`s why I think we have to draft a cb in the first round...we just need a safety too, about Elam his cover skills that concerns me we just have a good safety against the run in Chung but he can`t cover we don`t need another safety wich can`t cover...his size concerns me too, big TE and WR could beat him easily...we need to draft Rhodes, Trunfant or banks in the first round.

i belive i was the first on rhodes on the bdc board. so i hear ya.

without a pass rush, great cbs wont win a sb imo.

so pass rush fa alows teh luxury of takign a rhodes in rd 1. or another idea i was dsicussing today was talib and a mid level fa cb, 

holpkins or top big speed wr in rd 1, carradine (pass rush de in rd 2), rd 3 o line, safety (ie baccari rambo), or speedy cover lb.

if we restructured brady, fork or mankins and got a talib, mid cb and pass rusher in fa,

we coudl go rhodes in rd 1, best remaining big wr in 2, ie woods, see above for rd 3

or

wr in 1 ie hopkins, best remaining cb in 2, and ditto on rd 3. 

purley on safeties im with you, i want longer safeties the likes of vaccaro. but i see several needs ahead of safety. having vaccaro wont win a sb like a pass rusher, big press man cb and big outside wr who can separate and snag. (cb as more valuable than safety on the field)>

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

We have edge rushers, we don't win rings anymore because we lose inside the trenches.

did you see the ravens game. our edge rushers cant beat man to man. having occupier bodies in teh middle wont change that.

now going into the playoffs i had dt as one of top 3 needs. no longer. its down at 6 or so now for me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

We have edge rushers, we don't win rings anymore because we lose inside the trenches.

did you see the ravens game. our edge rushers cant beat man to man. having occupier bodies in teh middle wont change that.

now going into the playoffs i had dt as one of top 3 needs. no longer. its down at 6 or so now for me.

I don't disagree that we lack an impact edge rusher. Part of our pass rush problem is also due to our secondary. "Coverage sacks" are few and far between. So if we can find an end that fits our system and profiles as a double digit sack guy, it's doubtful that we'll be able to draft that profile? so it'll likely have to be in free agency Could prove to be cost prohibitive...

The Ravens game was a tale of two halves our lack of pressure on Flacco was telling. Part of that is due to game planning. Our ends and LB, can't just pin back thier ears a go after the qb, with Rice a threat to take it to the house on a screen or as the check down.  In the first half with Talib on the field covering Boldin with McCourty and Denard bracketing Smith or Jones. We shut them down pretty good...After Talib went down Boldin and Pitta both killed us because we couldn't matchup either of them and continue to bracket Smith and or Jones to take away the deep ball. which is why for my money I'd spend all available resources on signing Byrd and Talib. Improve our ability to play man and press coverages and you then open up the defensive play book. which would then allow us to blitz multiple linebackers on obvious passing downs...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

With all due respect these last two posts don't make sense.

You build your team from the inside out.  If you can't beat defenders up the middle and occupy more than one defender with your defensive tackles inside than your linebackers and "edge rushers" are occupied by bigger, better blockers like offensive tackles; yes I saw the Ravens game and that's exactly what happened.

Coverage comes behind all of this^

We can't rank 15th or worse every year in sacks, lead the league or be top three in INT's and dismiss the interior rush as being good enough.  Edge rushers don't work in a vacuum, it starts inside. Period

It's no surprise we haven't won a championship since the days of Seymour, Warren and Ted Washington or Keith Traylor inside.  We need beef, we need toughness...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

the key to have a good defense is creating pressure with your defensive, and both games this season against baltimore we couldn`t do that, Flacco had time to have a breakfast than throw the ball, this can`t happen we need to create pressure with 4 or 5 rushers like we used to do.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

the key to have a good defense is creating pressure with your defensive, and both games this season against baltimore we couldn`t do that, Flacco had time to have a breakfast than throw the ball, this can`t happen we need to create pressure with 4 or 5 rushers like we used to do.

what ive been saying repetively.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to natesubs' comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

I'd take him over Nink, the guy had 5 sacks in 14 games playing OLB (A position he never played before). Give him a full offseason back at DE and watch out, I still think the Pats need a pass-rusher! 

I'm not a fan of Rob Ninkovich! He isn't a consistent pass-rusher, he makes a play every once in a while, but he doesn't require double coverage.

nink is the guy that makes big plays when needed.  he is exactly the type of guy we need! especially since he is a cheap hard worker.  very similar to vrable

Chandler beat him in hurries, hits, and pressure last season and Chandler faced more double coverage. Ninkovich was a once in a game wonder, he'd show up and FF and everyone would act like he's the second coming of LT. 

He was mediocre, at best. 

I want someone who will eat up single coverage when VW and Chandler get doubled, Chandler is working with his brothers this offseason to add mass so we're sure to see that happen. He can't alway beat double coverage, someone has to help. 

Hmm so Jones beat nink in hurries , hits, and pressures huh? I will take your word for it so nice but lets not forget Nink beat Jones in Sacks, Tackles, solo AND assisted, Forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, yards gained off fuble recoveries, stuffs/tackles for loss, as well as yards from tackles for loss.

Lets not let the rest of the stats get in the way of your argument though.

Jones disappeared late in the season not registering a sack in the final 6 games nor in the post season. Two tackles in the post season. He couldn't even stay healthy and on the field. Yes that counts against him.

Nink had 2 sacks in the final 6 games of the season. 2 more in the post season when it matters most. ...and 12 tackles in the post season, again when it mattered most. Nink also had 1 interception and 2 passed defensed in the post season. Jones had none of that stuff either.

Nink also has the ability to play linebacker if need be. No not even speaking outside either. Talking inside.

Doesn't Nink also plays speacial teams? Not sure but I think he does. I don't know if Jones does but I don't think so.

Jones may even find his 2nd year tougher than his first, who knows. Tackles may have more film on him and know what moves he has or prefers and handle him best. He surprised for half a season. We have to wait and see just how he progresses.

Nink has played consistent and his sack numbers have gone up for three years straight.

So why exactly are you so quick to want to jettoson Nink?

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

if he doesn't have too high of a price then Freeney could definitely help IMO. Passing situations where they need that outside rush. Hes from the same school as Jones and could probalby help mentor him too. Obviously not an every down player but he would be a nice piece to the defense. We need DT more than anything else IMO, and this is the year to draft them. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'd like to pick up Freeney if he's cheap, shore up the DBs.  Jones will develop, I think Nink is solid enough and has a nose for the kill shot.  Can't ignore that.  The Ravens beat the Broncos, Pats and 49er on the deep ball.  Yes, it takes time to throw that, but HOW MANY TIMES DID FLACCO DO IT ON THE RUN?  We need coverage.  This Ravens team found their Offense, and even if the D isn't as good, it's a pass happy league and they will HEAVE IT.  They found their happy place. Someone is going to have to re-route receivers and stay in coverage and JUMP FOR THE DAMN BALL when it's thrown high.