Dynasty is OVER

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Dynasty is OVER

The Team of the Decade is......well, last Decade. Done, gone, finis - the Dynasty is Dead.

This one didn't hurt as much as the superbowl loss vs. the Giants, but it was as frustrating as this years regular season game versus the Saints. We looked like the New England High School football team today.

I'm okay with that - it's been an awesome ride for the last 10 years or so - and definitely made up for all of our cellar dwelling teams of past.

The top 3 things the Patriots and fans need to get rid of:
    1) Trust In Bill
    2) Koolaid
    3) Rose Colored Glasses

Just kidding folks.

Seriously,

What are the top 3 things the Pats need to do to be competitive with the "elite" teams in the NFL?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

Re: What a relief - the season is over. Here's to the next decade....

These aren;t your older brother's Patriots! A lot of changes need to be made. Also, I am wondering if Bill Belichek is burned out. He has been driving this machine for what, 10 years. Maybe he should take a year off and renergize his battery. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: What a relief - the season is over. Here's to the next decade....

He has been doing this for a while - and I think he needs some help, coaching-wise. The Patriots may need to change some of their "schemes" - as opponents have already adapted to ours.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Dynasty is over. Here's to the next decade....ways to improve?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/01/11/end_of_an_era/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Dynasty is OVER

I don't know where the blame lies, there is plenty to go around.  I saw the O-line and D-line losing thier battles every down.  I don't think it matters what schemes are drawn up if they can't beat thier man.  The lines just crumbled, and it has been a problem for a few years now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

The dynasty has been over for a while.  Their last SB win was in 2004

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't think the Pats are done by any stretch. What they need to do is seriously load up like we did in 2007, and do it soon because without Brady, this team is average. Hell, even with the Brady of yesterday, this team is average, but I'll chalk yesterday up to a good Ravens D and our lack of playmakers to help Brady on offense.

The reload is going to be a tricky endeavor because we have a lot of wholes to fill and need to make some tough decisions. 

I'll start a post on "2010 Reload"....See ya' there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

This and next years draft will go far towards defining where we fall in the next decade.  We have 3 high to very high extra picks in those drafts.  We had a very good draft this year.  We need a couple of decent FAs to fill in gaps like 3rd WR.  We need some OL that are maulers and wont be manhandled so badly.  These lighter guys that move better are getting us killed.  So we pull less and just smash them in the mouth more, would that be so bad?  Can we clone Seabass?  We need a pass rush, prefer 2 OLBs that can really make the other QBs nervous, mess up, throw ints.  We need to extend BIG WILFORK, MANKINS, BODDEN, GHOST. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

"I don't think the Pats are done by any stretch. What they need to do is seriously load up like we did in 2007, and do it soon because without Brady, this team is average. Hell, even with the Brady of yesterday, this team is average, but I'll chalk yesterday up to a good Ravens D and our lack of playmakers to help Brady on offense.

The reload is going to be a tricky endeavor because we have a lot of wholes to fill and need to make some tough decisions. 

I'll start a post on "2010 Reload"....See ya' there." PatsLifer

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Dynasty is OVER:
    The dynasty has been over for a while.  Their last SB win was in 2004
    Posted by boomerst3

OK, I get what you are saying, but we did have a 16-0 season 2 years ago.  We at least made it to the dance 2 years ago.  We only missed the playoffs only once since our last SB win.  We were in 2 AFCC games since then.  Like I said, I get your point.  Winning the SB is what it's all about.  My point is that we've still had a pretty good run otherwise.  It's not like we won our last SB in 2004 and have been NFL doormats since then.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

The word that went through my mind most was "complacency."  There seems to be that "been there, done that" attitude pervasive in the organization right now. 

A fire needs to be lit under this team. Just what that will take, I don't know.  Is BB burnt out?  Brady has a real life off the field now.  Can his drive be rekindled?  Or is he more interested in raising his son?  There certainly is nothing wrong with that on a personal level.  It's probably even the right thing to do. 

But I want that running up the score mentality to return.  That SB loss to the Giants just keeps growing larger in the rear-view.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

2009 was a reload/rebuilding season. Why do you think B.B. traded away two third rounders for 2010 second rounders?

Why do you think he drafted Brandon Tate with a bum knee?

Why do you think he traded one of our best defenders for a top 2011 first round pick?

B.B. has been thinking about and addressing the continuity of the dynasty all along.

No other franchise comes close. Yes, B.B. sacrificed 2009, but he knew Brady wouldn't be in top form anyway.

Cherish these extra picks B.B. had the forsight to acquire. We'll be reaping what B.B. has sowed for the next decade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarylandFan. Show MarylandFan's posts

The Pats had a great run in the early 2000's, best team of the decade but a dynasty? The Celts who won 11 NBA championships in 13 seasons in the 50's-60's were a dynasty. As Joe Gibbs found out when he came back to coach the Redskins for a 2nd time, it's a different game then when he first coached. The head coaches in the NFL are getting younger and bring fresh ideas to the table. Gibbs had a good run like BB but the Redskins were never called a dynasty. The Pats are too predictible, they needs to can their OC and DC, put Vollmer at LT, draft or trade for a quality RB, WR, pass rushing LB and DE, acquire depth at OL and DL. This team is far from dead and w/3 #2 draft picks and w/comp picks will have a total of 11 or 12 picks, I'm sure the Pats will reload quickly. Keep the bottom feeding and acquiring retreads to a minimum.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"If they were truly in rebuilding mode, you don't sign guys in their 30s."

They were rebuilding on the run, still trying to compete while stockpiling extra (better) picks for the future.

Stockpiling extra (better) picks doesn't sound like any kind of strategy to you? Trading Seymour for a future franchise caliber prospect doesn't sound like any kind of strategy to you?

Enjoy the two extra second round picks this year, and the franchise cornerstone coming next year.

Reactionary ingrate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"How come I'm an "ingrate"?  Because I dare question the great BB?"

I'm not a B.B. cultist, and his ego has definitely been a drag on the franchise.

But to say there is no plan when he obviously shows more forward thinking than any other G.M. is annoying.

Signing Bodden and Seau to one year deals shows he's not thinking about the future and there is no plan, because those guys are old? Despite trading for all those high future picks?

I'll leave you alone with your logic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peabodyballer. Show Peabodyballer's posts

okay, so the team has been arrogant but it has earned the right to be.  This team is not done!  It just needs to retool and refocus.  The major parts are still there.  We still have the best coach, GM, and QB in the league.  I think the problems this year were more mental than anything else and teams came out gunning for us.  Beating us made their season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

So bn34 you have a new coaching staff lined up?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

"How come I'm an "ingrate"?  Because I dare question the great BB?  I'd rather be objective and critical than a kool-aid drinking yahoo who relies on "we won 3 in 4 years" and blindly "trusts in Bill". "

No, you're not an ingrate, you're an idiot. Do you really think you know more football than BB? You're not questioning the man, you're basically saying he's done everything wrong. But you think your few sentences on this board hold the keys to correct all the Pats' troubles.

The problem with know-it-alls like you is that you don't even know enough to realize how football ignorant you are.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I never said BB wasn't a good coach.  He isn't a good GM and needs to focus on coaching and developing players.  Leave the GM stuff to someone else."

this comment shows a fundamental lack of knowledge about how things tick in the real world. Belichick will NEVER give up his GM duties. So you either need to decide whether you want him in or out, because those are your choices.

As for me, I wouldn't mind seeing an excellent offensive and defensive coordinator under him. Not sure we have that on either side of the ball right now. Remember that we now have a new personnel guy and the most recent draft was actually pretty good - it was the previous drafts that weren't so special. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maninCA. Show maninCA's posts

It's over.  You all were chanting about hosting a possible championchip game against the Jets the other day, totally discounting the Ravens.  Someone should have told you that Baltimore played in the AFCCG last year while your team sat and watched it.

At least now you know.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I wouldn't say dynasty over. It's just at the proverbial "Fork in the road". The Pats make the right decisions over the next few off-seasons and it could be dynasty and Super Bowl appearances back on, but if they make some flop decisions it could be over.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

I still think there is a chance to reverse the current trend, but I would bet good $$$ that the Jets may run right by them next year.  That defense is rock solid.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR59. Show JAR59's posts

In the view of this impartial observer, the balance of power in the AFC East has shifted from the Patriots to the Jets and Dolphins.

Nothing to get bent out of shape about, happens all the time, and the Patriots had a much longer time at the top than usual.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Super Bowl 42, Pats score 14 points and the Oline was demolished. Wildcard game, Pats score 14 points and the Oline was demolished. Time for Oline coach Scarnecchia to go.

Sections
Shortcuts