Eagles Unhappy with Samuel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Re: Eagles Unhappy with Samuel

Interesting. Another high priced FA fails to live up to expectations.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I will say what I always say when the Pats let a guy go.
    They know what they are doing and usually are right.
    Since there are few former Pats to have had the same success elsewhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He isn't having less success. He is having the same success.

He is what he is.

He can play the ball in air. But like Hobbs, he couldn't press cover. And he couldn't tackle, and I don't really have high standards for Dbs there. Literally, Samuel would avoid trash. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Priceless. I was waiting for the honey moon to end. The guy was a good player, not great as he was portrayed. He always got destroyed by bigger recievers, was a poor tackler and hasn't shut his mouth since he left. I never put him in the Ty Law league and don't trust him to take away the opposing teams best reciever. Will he jump routes and make picks? Yeh. Can he cover well? Yeh. Just think he is not elite as he thinks he is. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Glad Pats never caved on this guy. i think the dropped ball in the SB sealed his fate. he'll probably get traded to another and will fade off into the sunset. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Eagles Unhappy with Samuel:
    Apparently, the Eagles are looking for more out of their big money investment.  They are frustrated with his inability to tackle and unwillingness to play press coverage.  Andy Reid was pretty outward about it: http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?&articleid=1242880&format=&page=2&listingType=pats#articleFull Samuel is a play maker, but he is able to make those plays partly because he gambles a lot, and consequently gives up a lot of big plays.  He is also useless in the run game. There is also this blurb from Breer yesterday about the PFF cornerback metrics that ranked Bodden as the 14th best corner in the NFL in 2009, while Samuel ranked 36th.  I liked Samuel while he was here but this stuff caught my attention.
    Posted by pyegian

Yeah Breer should know better to just post only one year from PFF. Player ranking fluctuate year to year for many factors. Supporting cast, strength of schedule, playing though injuries or ailments, etc.

In 2008 Samuels ranked 12th and Bodden was 108th. in 2007 Samuels was 30th and Bodden 33rd. Average the three years rankings together and  Samuels beats the pants off Bodden with a rank of 26th to boddens 52nd. Granted that is somewhat skewed by Boddens dismal ranking while playing in Detroit.

In 2007 Samuels allowed 56% of the passes thrown at him to be completed to Boddens 62% allowed. 2008 had Asante allowing 53% to Boddens 66%. 2009 was a big reversal of fortunes with Bodden only allowing 50% completions and Asante Samuels allowing 67%. Three year avg, 58.6% for Samuels and 59.3% for Bodden.

Considering something like 64% of all starting cornerbacks in the NFL were drafted in the 1st 2 rounds, they both have done very well for themselves with Asante being a 4th rounder and Bodden being undrafted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This is Asante Samuel with "Get Paid" tattooed on his arm. If you get injured you don't get paid.  If you make the easy tackles but run the other way from the hard tackles, you don't get injured much.  And Asante is never going to get another high-priced contract again.  So, Asante is going to tackle just enough guys that he doesn't get cut from the team, and then he is going to get paid for the entire length of his lucrative contract, really dogging it in that last golden get-paid year.  Then he'll be too slow, he's going to retire, and finally he's going to get that stupid tattoo off of his arm. 

What is Andy Reid's problem?  Didn't Reid read the tattoo?  BB read it and punted Asante straight through the goalposts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Eagles Unhappy with Samuel:
    BB read it and punted Asante straight through the goalposts.
    Posted by Paul_K

LMAO. When Andy Reid learn. McNabb is good as gone, and probably Samuel

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CharlestonDude. Show CharlestonDude's posts

Asante was good for the Pats.  Pual_K, the meaning of the tatoo has been explained on this board many times and doesn't mean what you're thinking it does.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Z - is right about this.  He is what he is.  and what he isn't, isn't anything new.  What he is, is a pretty damn good cover DB that, in the patriots secondary, would have made the pats pass D better than it was the last 2 years. 

If you are a pats fan cackling over this news, then you have difficulty seeing the forest for the trees or reality for your fandom.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

This is the same thing everybody was calling sour grapes when Samuel left here. I'm glad we're all on the same page now.

Samuel is a gambler- that's it. That and the lack of tackling is what lead to the Pats letting him walk- not the money. He is not an elite, shut down, cover corner. He never was and he never will be.   

The real shocker here is that the Eagles (or any team) would throw that kind of money at a player without doing due diligence. He is exactly what he was when he was here. Before they threw a boatload of money at him. Now is not the time to whine.

I wouldn't order a truckload of horse manure to be delivered to my house, pay for it, and two days later complain that it stinks. He is what he is. Get over it.    

And the only one that has trouble seeing the forest throught the trees here, is you underdogg. You are so obsessed with picking fights, you will argue with anything anybody says even if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes the Patriots defense would have been better in 08 with Samuel. But at what price? Paying shut down corner money to a guy who isn't a shut down corner would have hurt the team on a number of different levels.

But in 09 and beyond? Bodden wouldn't be here if Samuel was. And a lot of people think he's better. You know, Pats fans: people that actually watch more than one of the Patriot's games a year. Samuel might put up flashier numbers. But Bodden is generally where he is supposed to be on the field- not caught out of position trying to get a pick. He is actually a cover corner. He might not have the level of talent of a Champ Bailey. But he is a cover corner- which is what this team needs. We don't need our CBs roaming around like some sort of FS ten yards off the guy they are supposed to be covering. And apparently Bill Belichick agrees because Asante is on a different team.

Letting Samuel walk was the best thing for the long term health of this team. But you wouldn't understand that because you don't follow this team on a day to day basis. All you do is come in here with your know it all atitude, take trollish cheap shots and wonder why there is such animosity towards you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

lol
    Smart patriot fans already knew samuel was overrated. its all the media guys like felger who think samuel is one of the best corners in the league... I would take bodden over asante any day of the week... and twice on sundays... lol 
    Bodden can tackle and actually make big hits... We also saw him make catches like asante... all samuel did was jump routes for the picks, which got him paid big time... good for him... and good for the pats for letting him go..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

We got a third round pick for Samuels so it was like he walked for free....
    He played well for us and i don't blame him for taking the Eagles coin.
    Good luck too him he may need it in Eagle land

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I've hated him since he drop the winning INT in the SB. The nerve of the bum to want big money after he couldn't hold on to history. SMFH!

But, when it's all said and done, he was the second best CB on the Patriots' roster in the 2000s. My decade team would have both Asante and Ty Law as the starting CBs. Overrated, maybe. Does he deserve it, hells yea. He has hands of glue, except in the SB.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Asante Samuel doesn't believe in any of those aspects of playing the Defensive position of Cornerback, which might result in him having to buy a bottle of Tide in order to get a grass stain out of his jersey.  Overall, it's hard not to agree with A$: tackling and hitting people are such overhyped and minor aspects to the game of Football...and detergent's insanely expensive.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

DID EVERYBODY FORGET WE LOST THE SB BECAUSE OF HIM.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

What a joke, he blows.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Admittedly posting backslapping, "your right" posts is not my nature, but I stand by my feelings on this one.  Now you may be right that Samuel is a gambler, and that may not bode well in a secondary with limited safeties, which the pats had at the time they let Samuel go, but with strong safety play, he was great. 

Just ask Colts fans - or me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

all you need to know about samual is he missed the most improtant interception of his life...and only cares about "geting paid"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10fern. Show mar10fern's posts

all you need to know about samual is he missed the most improtant interception of his life...and only cares about "geting paid"
    Posted by jcour382

NOT ONLY DID HE DROP THE MOST IMPORTANT INT IN PAT'S HISTORY...TYREE WAS HIS MAN.  RODNEY PICKED HIM UP BUT IT WAS ASSANTE WHO GAVE UP ON THE PLAY BECAUSE HE THOUGHT ELI WAS GOING DOWN.

THOSE ARE RODNEY'S WORDS FROM SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL, NOT MINE!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I Like Rodney but I thought that statement was a little self serving... now as far as Asante and his play I like Boddens style because he might get beat occasionally but he makes the plays he should make where Asante makes the spectacular play and blows some of the ones he should have made if he was less of a chance taker.

Now there is room for both types on a football field but as your #1 Bodden will be my choice of the two every day and twice on Sunday.

I know Reid is a decent coach and all but there is something about that guy that I can't stand... I just can't put my finger on it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

February 3, 2008....

"Manning back to pass, he throws down the right sideline...oh, right through Samuel's hands".

The one thing he can do, he doesn't do. Enough said.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

give Asante credit guys. The man can play, he just isnt a superstar.  he is not worth the money by any means, but he is still a solid corner.

Another thing to consider he meant more to our defense than theirs.

However we know what he is. he is a mercenary who played big for his cash. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Z - is right about this.  He is what he is.  and what he isn't, isn't anything new.  What he is, is a pretty damn good cover DB that, in the patriots secondary, would have made the pats pass D better than it was the last 2 years.  If you are a pats fan cackling over this news, then you have difficulty seeing the forest for the trees or reality for your fandom.
    Posted by underdoggg

he also wasn't worth the money that he is getting....that is the reality.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

give Asante credit guys. The man can play, he just isnt a superstar.  he is not worth the money by any means, but he is still a solid corner. Another thing to consider he meant more to our defense than theirs. However we know what he is. he is a mercenary who played big for his cash. 
    Posted by btownteamsrking

This post says it all...he is a good player not a superstar...

and  "got overpaid"
    look at ty law in that game against manning...he made those plays(3 picks) theres the difference

Sections
Shortcuts