Eagles Unhappy with Samuel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Re: Eagles Unhappy with Samuel

In Response to Re: Eagles Unhappy with Samuel:
    I don't think he is overrated. At all. Every time a NE players leaves, most fans act like the guy isn't that good.  He's easily a top 10 CB in the league. It appears he's gotten a big ego though. That, I do agree with.  This has hurt his consistency. But, when he's playing to his potential, he's a top 10 CB in this league, easily. He has amazing closing speed, is arguably the best at baiting QBs, rarely gets beaten straight back on deep balls and lays the lumber to WRs and RBs or even TEs (Jeb Putzier) about as good as I have seen a CB recently do. He also was very good at using the sideline to angle people out of bounds. Sameul is a game changer and can absolutely mess with QBs heads. We've seen it.  He comes big in the playoffs too. He had a BAD year last year for his standards, yes.  As for Bodden, I wanted him here last offseason and they got lucky. When he left without a deal, I was disappointed. Thank god they got him to sign and then to resign. It was a huge resign, in my opinion.  Severely underrated and has been for years.  Get the guy a pass rus and a good D to play on and watch him go to Pro Bowls.
    Posted by russgriswold

He is not overrated....he is overvalued.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

This is the same stuff people said about Asante when was here.  Said he was a selective tackler, gambled too much, was better at zone stuff rather than press coverage at the line of scrimmage.  When he was here, he wasn't being paid like a top flight CB so the warts were overlooked.  Now that he's one of the highest paid CBs he's supposed to change?  

Samuel is still a very good cornerback, if the Eagles are complaining they should've watched the 5 years of game tapes when he was here.  He's a playmaker who's always been average or slightly better in run support. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

That's the difference between an elite corner and a decent corner- which is what Asante is.

If a healthy (in his prime) Ty Law is playing in the 07 Superbowl instead of Samuel, I guarantee you the Pats win that game. And people seem to forget this about Samuel because it has become less of an issue as time has progressed, but he's always had the dropsies. I can remember him being on the bubble in his first couple of years and consistently dropping picks.

He is a solid corner. But that's my point- it would be crazy to pay him superstar money. As one poster pointed out, we could all live with his shortcomings when he was making short money. But he's not worth what the Eagles paid him,

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: Eagles Unhappy with Samuel : he also wasn't worth the money that he is getting....that is the reality.
    Posted by m1021us

Now this may or may not be true. 

Many Pats fans (at least many on this site) characterize any player that does not accept what your team puts on the table as nothing more than selfish and greedy.  Thus, one can never take a pats fan's word for who may or may not be worth the money.  

The fact is that Samuel is worth the money, because what he is currently paid is what he was offered and accepted.  It's situations like these (if some think a player has been overpaid) that remind us that contracts are contracts and if a player is willing to sign one then the team has every right to make that player abide by it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Don't blame the SB loss Asanti Samuel blame the loss on the most prolific offense in the history of NFL only scoring 14 points. If you knew before the game that the Giants were only going to score 17 points most of us would have said great because the Pats are gonna score 35. Believe me I hate AS for dropping that int. and for giving up on Tyree but please the blame lies on the offensive side from BB to Josh McDaniels to the line to Brady to the wr's and to not making the adjustments to the Giants defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Dogg~ you going to the game to root for your dogs?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Eagles Unhappy with Samuel : Now this may or may not be true.  Many Pats fans (at least many on this site) characterize any player that does not accept what your team puts on the table as nothing more than selfish and greedy.  Thus, one can never take a pats fan's word for who may or may not be worth the money.   The fact is that Samuel is worth the money, because what he is currently paid is what he was offered and accepted.  It's situations like these (if some think a player has been overpaid) that remind us that contracts are contracts and if a player is willing to sign one then the team has every right to make that player abide by it.
    Posted by underdoggg

One can not take anyones word on who is worth what. If you have a house that a bank appraises for $250,000 you still have to find a buyer. Free agents are always a gamble and I let the GM's judge that for themselves. The system of a particular team is often most responsible for the success of Free Agents. Look at what New Orleans did with all their free agents last year. I actually think Samuel would look like a better player if he came back and played here and as far as the cash goes, It isn't coming out of my pocket. I don't like using the $$$ as an excuse for not signing a guy that is an impact player. And Samuel was an impact player.

BTW..Please don't lump everyone into one on this board. It's kind of like calling us "You People". LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Harley - Would love to go to Saturday's games, but tickets are beaucoup bucks and (can you believe this) my wife committed to us having dinner with friends (who are not sports people) like 3 months ago.  I am s*ckin!!

E - I did not say ALL PEOPLE on this board.  I said MANY.  As for Samuel, I looked up his stats, and it looks like last year was his second best statiscal year of his career.  He led the league in Ints with 9, defended 17 passes forced a fumble and recovered a fumble. 

The fact is there are some pats fans (NOT ALL) that just won't give a player his due if he never was or no longer is a New England Patriot.  A person like that is a great Pat fan, but probably not a great judge of anything related to the NFL in general.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"The fact is there are some pats fans (NOT ALL) that just won't give a player his due if he never was or no longer is a New England Patriot.  A person like that is a great Pat fan, but probably not a great judge of anything related to the NFL in general."

Yup...Dogg, The ONLY thing 99% of us are sayin' is that Asante Samuel Does NOT have a complete all-around game...not 1 single bit.  Almost EVERY single year, AS is in the bottom 1/3 of ALL DBs in Total Tackles (starters and subs alike), Asante plays zone coverage, or off-man on 1 Side of the field ONLY-Next o NO press-man, bump-and-run coverage like Asomugha, and NO flanking a Teams #1 WR all-over like Revis...And god man, I ain't even talkin' about his gambles on routes to try o make a Huge INT and NOTHING else, and thus-giving up at times a Huge pass-play.  Sheez, IF you're sayin' AS is a true #1 shut-down CB, say so, but don't come with some total BS-elliptical rhetoric of, "Well, If someone gets paid with money, for their skills with money, those skills are CLEARLY worth that money, cause hey-even though each buyer's different, money's money and thus-skills=money, and 1 step further ALOT of that said money, MUST therefore equal-ALOTA skills," Case-closed then...simply outstanding logic right there. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Laz - I hear ya and agree but only to a degree. 

Per an earlier post and agreeing with Z - Samuel is what he is, and that is well known and what Philly paid for.  That they may be suggesting that he is not doing as much as he should is really BS, because they knew all along who they were getting.  Samuel had a good body of work from which to evaluate and that is exactly what the eagles paid for. 

Now, the Eagles may be regretting their decision because like so many other stupid coaches/personnel people they may believe they are so effing good that they can put a shine on sh*t, not to mention make Samuel a tackler.   

I never said pay equals skills.  I have said, pay equals worth, however.  If the Eagles paid Samuel to do things he'd never done before then maybe Samuel wasn't worth that money, but that's irrelevant.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

underdogggg   Thus, one can never take a pats fan's word for who may or may not be worth the money.

E   One can not take anyones word on who is worth what.

Underdogggg I did not say ALL PEOPLE on this board.  I said MANY

W T F ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

ok ok - my mistake.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Eagles Unhappy with Samuel : Now this may or may not be true.  Many Pats fans (at least many on this site) characterize any player that does not accept what your team puts on the table as nothing more than selfish and greedy.  Thus, one can never take a pats fan's word for who may or may not be worth the money.   The fact is that Samuel is worth the money, because what he is currently paid is what he was offered and accepted.  It's situations like these (if some think a player has been overpaid) that remind us that contracts are contracts and if a player is willing to sign one then the team has every right to make that player abide by it.
    Posted by underdoggg

I am not contesting the contract....he is being paid as a top 2 CB in the league, which he is not.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Don't blame the SB loss Asanti Samuel blame the loss on the most prolific offense in the history of NFL only scoring 14 points. If you knew before the game that the Giants were only going to score 17 points most of us would have said great because the Pats are gonna score 35. Believe me I hate AS for dropping that int. and for giving up on Tyree but please the blame lies on the offensive side from BB to Josh McDaniels to the line to Brady to the wr's and to not making the adjustments to the Giants defense.
    Posted by harleyroadking103

The Offense got the lead....it was the defense's job to hold them in the last 2 minutes...the D made many mistakes in that last Giants drive...all it took was for one of those plays to go the right way and Game over.....Samuel, Harrison, Merryweather and Green all f-ed up.....we lost.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Yes you are contesting the contract, because the contract defines what he is paid which you indicate he is not worth. 

Now contracts are an interesting thing.  At the time that Samuel signed his contract, he may have been paid as the top or top 2 db in the league, but the overall value of his contract today may not rise to that number.  USA Today has his total contract value as the 6th highest corner. 

Sure Darelle Revis is below Samuel in salary but may be better than him overall, but players don't seek one year contracts so that they may renegotiate at the end of each year.  Revis may be in the middle of a contract that he does not currently have leverage to renegotiate.

Samuel came off of stellar years at New England, did not take a lower offer before his contract was up (which was a risk) and parlayed his performance into a top paying contract which he deserved.  He took the risk and reaped the rewards. 

As I said (agreeing with Z) everyone knew the kind of corner that Samuel was and still is.  And he was paid for that.  He led the league in Ints this year which indicates he still does what he does very very well. 

All the Eagles are doing is publicly pushing him to do more, and you taken that as validation that he is not worth his money.  I disagree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

In Response to Re: Eagles Unhappy with Samuel : The Offense got the lead....it was the defense's job to hold them in the last 2 minutes...the D made many mistakes in that last Giants drive...all it took was for one of those plays to go the right way and Game over.....Samuel, Harrison, Merryweather and Green all f-ed up.....we lost.
    Posted by m1021us
    m, I agree the d choked on that last drive, but the o choked for 3 3/4 of the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

I1226n Response to Re: Eagles Unhappy with Samuel:
    In Response to Re: Eagles Unhappy with Samuel : m, I agree the d choked on that last drive, but the o choked for 3 3/4 of the game.
    Posted by harleyroadking103

But the O came up when it had to, the defense did the opposite....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Yes you are contesting the contract, because the contract defines what he is paid which you indicate he is not worth.  Now contracts are an interesting thing.  At the time that Samuel signed his contract, he may have been paid as the top or top 2 db in the league, but the overall value of his contract today may not rise to that number.  USA Today has his total contract value as the 6th highest corner.  Sure Darelle Revis is below Samuel in salary but may be better than him overall, but players don't seek one year contracts so that they may renegotiate at the end of each year.  Revis may be in the middle of a contract that he does not currently have leverage to renegotiate. Samuel came off of stellar years at New England, did not take a lower offer before his contract was up (which was a risk) and parlayed his performance into a top paying contract which he deserved.  He took the risk and reaped the rewards.  As I said (agreeing with Z) everyone knew the kind of corner that Samuel was and still is.  And he was paid for that.  He led the league in Ints this year which indicates he still does what he does very very well.  All the Eagles are doing is publicly pushing him to do more, and you taken that as validation that he is not worth his money.  I disagree.
    Posted by underdoggg

but he is still overpaid.....that is a fact.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

I1226n Response to Re: Eagles Unhappy with Samuel : But the O came up when it had to, the defense did the opposite....
    Posted by m1021us

Again I agree, but didn't you think going in to that game the Pats would score more 14 points. You are right though the O handed the D the lead and failed, much like the AFCCG against Indy....all water under the bridgeUndecided

Sections
Shortcuts