Ebert NEEDS to make this team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Ebert NEEDS to make this team

Signed

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Patriots-Sign-Seventh-Round-Draft-Choice-WR-Jeremy-Ebert/0add1c91-6652-43ce-9dfe-ffe15d16325c

The plot thickens at WR.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

BB obviously wants players who are flexible enough to play different positions. Does the signing mean that a 7th round WR draft choice will replace Gronk on ST? Depends, who tackles better? Gronk or Ebert. One is obviously a beast, can take or give a hit.  I  think the last thing BB worries about is whether a player will get injuried or not. Otherwise, he wouldn't have players like Hernanez playing running back....or Edelman as a DB.

Ebert is unlikely to make this team unless he can offer something else other than the WR position. More likely, he will be cut, make the practice squad, or will get some phantom injury for IR.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Ebert NEEDS to make this team:
    [QUOTE]I wonder if this signing means that Gronk comes off ST's? We shouldnt have our best receiver on ST's.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

thats my philosophy as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ebert NEEDS to make this team : thats my philosophy as well.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

How was Gronk hurt? Playing ST or TE?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Doesn't he have a brother named Siskel?!
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! That was my first though too, when I heard that the Pats drafted this guy. 

Like Edelman, he was a QB. He switched to WR in college. Here's what ProFootball Weekly had to say about him: 

Positives: Solidly built and durable (5'10", 194 lbs., 4.41 speed). Good two year production at Northwestern (2010: 62 catches, 953 yards, 8 TDs; 2011: 75 receptions, 1060 yards, 11 TDs). Nifty route runner. Gets his head around and works back to the QB. Has slot experience and will work the middle. Catches the ones he should. Good field awareness. Has special team experience. Solid character.  

Negatives: Short arms. Needs to get stronger. Average slot quickness. Struggles to separate vs. man coverage. Outmuscled in traffic - does not consistently haul in contested catches (who does?). Does not threaten vertically and struggles tracking over his shoulder. College production is inflated by short throws and bubble screens. Average burst and agility after catch.

Summary: Productive, competitive, relatively monotone slot receiver, lacking exceptional athletic traits. Needs room to operate and will have to stand out on special teams to stick.
    Draft prediction: priority free agent.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

When I first heard Ebert I thought Siskel, than I thought a new variation of peculiar 80s video game where your man jumps on squares. Then I realized that I was tired of watching Welker and Edelman get beheaded on special teams while Slater fumbled the pre-season kick off. That's when I realised that a 5'10 speed merchant might come in handy on special teams and eventually provide added depth for the receiving corps.  Then I realized he's a 7th round pick and thus expendable in a good way. Dennard might actually be the better 7th rounder when he's not incarcerated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In the land of the worlds' most famous late round draft choice, we are well aware that it matters not what round a player was selected. What matters is whether he can play. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Ebert NEEDS to make this team": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ebert NEEDS to make this team :      LOL!!! That was my first though too, when I heard that the Pats drafted this guy.       Like Edelman, he was a QB. He switched to WR in college. Here's what ProFootball Weekly had to say about him:       Positives: Solidly built and durable (5'10", 194 lbs., 4.41 speed). Good two year production at Northwestern (2010: 62 catches, 953 yards, 8 TDs; 2011: 75 receptions, 1060 yards, 11 TDs). Nifty route runner. Gets his head around and works back to the QB. Has slot experience and will work the middle. Catches the ones he should. Good field awareness. Has special team experience. Solid character.        Negatives: Short arms. Needs to get stronger. Average slot quickness. Struggles to separate vs. man coverage. Outmuscled in traffic - does not consistently haul in contested catches (who does?). Does not threaten vertically and struggles tracking over his shoulder. College production is inflated by short throws and bubble screens. Average burst and agility after catch.      Summary: Productive, competitive, relatively monotone slot receiver, lacking exceptional athletic traits. Needs room to operate and will have to stand out on special teams to stick. Draft prediction: priority free agent.    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE] I don't see the Edelman comparison here. Edelman played QB in college, Ebert was a WR for all 4 years of college- that's a big difference. Lots of guys played QB in HS, HS football is a totally different animal. NFL caliber players were the best and most dominant players in their respective HIghschools and coaches line them up all over the place to keep the ball in their hands. It's not until college that most players have their positions defined because they aren't elite enough to dominate every position like they could in HS. Every late pick is a long shot but Ebert does not have to pick up anything he hasn't been doing for years.