Edelman

Jones

Dobson

Boyce

Slater

Will have final comment after camp, but first observations;

Boyce=practice squad

Jones=still not cleared medically

Only Edelman caught a pass from Brady last year.

I did not say thin. I said thin, thin, thin.

First observations after what exactly? Boyce won't make it to the practice squad. I think Boyce has a shot of starting over jones. Have you watched Boyce play? What bout Moe? These guys are gamers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Ebert released

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

I see them keeping 6:

Amendola

Edelman

Jones

Dobson

Boyce

Slater

I see somebody being redshirted with a mysterious hamstring. Could be Boyce, or could be Moe. That guy seems interesting at 6' 204 and with great hands. I don't know if he'd make it to the PS?  

He won't, and, I think he will be better than jones .

i replace jones with moe on my list. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rkarp1. Show Rkarp1's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to Rkarp1's comment:

I see them keeping 6:

Amendola

Edelman

Jones

Dobson

Boyce

Slater

Will have final comment after camp, but first observations;

Boyce=practice squad

Jones=still not cleared medically

Only Edelman caught a pass from Brady last year.

I did not say thin. I said thin, thin, thin.

First observations after what exactly? Boyce won't make it to the practice squad. I think Boyce has a shot of starting over jones. Have you watched Boyce play? What bout Moe? These guys are gamers.

first observations after talking to 3-4 people whose job it is to know if these guys can play or not. no final comments until after camp, but both rookie WR's have a long way to go. Not to say they wont get there, but give them 2-3 years.

Tough offense to pick up. Tough QB to get on the same page with. Both rookies limited in college with routes. As with most rookies picked this low, they need a lot of work. 

the guy most obviously ready to contribute is Jones, but no one knows if he is medically cleared...

I also think Stallworth makes the team.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

We have Amdendola, Hernanez, A.Holmes, M.Jenkins, D.Jones, J.Edleman, M.Slater, A.Dobson, J.Boyce who are ALL better than he is, thats why

This is a thin group?

Not thin, but very inexperienced.  And I'm sure BB realizes there is no "Go To" WR on the team that will get you a crunch time catch when it's 3rd and 15.  In the past that guy might have been Troy Brown, Moss or Branch.  I don't expect them to bring Branch back but I'd be very surprised if they didn't bring in a vet who has actually caught some footballs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Catfish - Amendola doesn't qualify as a vet? 

And 3 or 4 people in the know sounds like the group around the water cooler or some guys that stayed at the Holiday Inn Express? Yes - rookies take sometime to get up to speed in the NFL no matter where they were drafted. Training camp helps. Coach and TB not having any choice in the matter but to play them helps. Drafting bright high IQ players helps too, and players who know how to put in the work and study the film. 

And it really doesn't matter if you are a top ten pick or a pick in the 7th round or a UDFA - no college player has run an NFL route tree - so the learning curve is the same for a Larry Fitzgerald type and T.J. Moe. BUT you can draft guys that have learned to run precise routes in college - know how to make sharp cuts, set up DBs, etc. And from the reports on the two draftees and the UDFAs the Pats got those kind of players as opposed to the perhaps more physically gifted guys like Patterson who reported doesn't know these things.

Remind me where Cruz was drafted? Didn't he have a pretty good rookie year?

So ... Do I expect Moss 2.0 or Fitzgerald-light? No. But given the roster I expect some pretty decent production and the potential for a lot more.

And maybe BB doesn't have a record on drafting WR, but he does now have McDaniels in the room who did OK out there in Denver of find valuable WR in the draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Rkarp1's comment:

Why? Given the health issues of Jones, Edelman and Amendola, and the fact that Jenkins is washed up, why not take it thru camp and see how it plays out? Smart WR. Great hands. Not saying he makes the team but lets see how it plays out in camp? No?

as long as it wasn't ebner..... Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Catfish - Amendola doesn't qualify as a vet? 

And 3 or 4 people in the know sounds like the group around the water cooler or some guys that stayed at the Holiday Inn Express? Yes - rookies take sometime to get up to speed in the NFL no matter where they were drafted. Training camp helps. Coach and TB not having any choice in the matter but to play them helps. Drafting bright high IQ players helps too, and players who know how to put in the work and study the film. 

And it really doesn't matter if you are a top ten pick or a pick in the 7th round or a UDFA - no college player has run an NFL route tree - so the learning curve is the same for a Larry Fitzgerald type and T.J. Moe. BUT you can draft guys that have learned to run precise routes in college - know how to make sharp cuts, set up DBs, etc. And from the reports on the two draftees and the UDFAs the Pats got those kind of players as opposed to the perhaps more physically gifted guys like Patterson who reported doesn't know these things.

Remind me where Cruz was drafted? Didn't he have a pretty good rookie year?

So ... Do I expect Moss 2.0 or Fitzgerald-light? No. But given the roster I expect some pretty decent production and the potential for a lot more.

And maybe BB doesn't have a record on drafting WR, but he does now have McDaniels in the room who did OK out there in Denver of find valuable WR in the draft.

Amendola has 17 career starts, or roughly one full season.   Obviously he's missed a lot of time due to injuries.   The same can be said for Edelman.   I didn't criticize Cruz or say that some guys don't have very good rookie years.

All I'm saying is BB won't go into the year without a more seasoned WR.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ToneKing. Show ToneKing's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Yeah, he doesn't have a chance here.  It was a curtousy to him.  I think TJ Moe, our new UDFA WR is a far better prospect as well.

This.^^

Deep WR draft.  Also, by the way, you won our friendly bet, obviously. I still say Mallett could be traded in the future, but for now, you were right on.

I still cannot believe EJ Manuel is worth a 1st rder when he isn't accurate, runs too much and can't read vanilla college defenses.  The Geno Smith pick was also horrendous.   Dumb as a bag of rocks and crappy accuracy. I felt bad for the guy. He goes into a crapy situation, will lose confidence early and often and RKrap's Jets will have wasted another draft pick.

Barkley appeared to have gone in the right spot, even though he didn't think so.  lol

These QBs will be in for a rude awakening because they just aren't that good. I was shocked Chip Kellhy signed off on Barkley.   1 year renting Vick and then Barkley? Ouch.

Thanks, Man.  About 3 weeks before the draft it looked like you were going to be right and Mallett might be a goner, but I guess the right deal didn't come around.  I agree that he could very well be traded sometime within the next calendar year.  Guess we will see.  One important factor there is that Cleveland still only has Weeden and Campbell.  Maybe they are hoping one of those two can be a stop-gap option for this upcoming season.  They didn't add a QB in the draft.  Also, they acquired 2 or 3 mid-round 2014 picks but trading away a few of their mid-rounders this draft, so they have a lot of ammo in 2014 picks if they were to choose to make a trade at some point.  Hmmm.....

Awfully strange they only have 2 QBs and it's crappy 29 year old Weeden and Jason Campbell.

I still say that doesn't add up to me, but you won.

Yeah, their draft wasn't that good. I was shocked Lombardi didn't trade back more, but it may have just been tough to do since everyone was trying to do it.

God bless BB.

From Lombardi's standpoint, I actually think it makes a lot more sense to make a trade for Mallett during training camp.  He could have a little time to evaluate the guys he has, and if they aren't good enough (which Weeden and Campbell likely are not) then he could trade for Mallett during camp and still have all of pre-season to get him up to speed.  I just felt the whole time that trading for Mallett before or during the draft was a little too early and too bold for a brand new GM.  It would look a lot less desparate if he waits a while.  It also wouldn't suprise me if BB didn't really want any more picks in the 2013 draft, since the class was considered weak.  He might be much higher on the 2014 class and more inclined to try and move Mallett for picks in next year's draft. 
    [/QUOTE]

Word has it now, that O'Brien wants Hoyer to create competition between Mallett next year and Hoyer down there.

Lombardi may or may not have wanted Mallett back when he took over. He probably did since he criticized Weeden on national tv in 2012, while saying Mallett was a "top 15 talent" in the 2011 draft, save for his maturity issues.

I am chuckling at how much exposure the BBW Guild has now being the frauds they are.

I actually forgot RKRap got banned and then the mods allowing to go back to his original name.

Sections
Shortcuts