Ed Hochuli Throws a Late Flag After Watching Jumbotron?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bfletch56. Show bfletch56's posts

Re: Ed Hochuli Throws a Late Flag After Watching Jumbotron?

The officiating was terrible last night. Wilfork was flagged for a face mask penalty, which he clearly did, after being dragged down to the ground as his man held his shirt. Lots of bad calls that luckily didn't change the outcome for the Pats. Banta Cain's was bad. There was also a play involving a GB receiver that was clearly a pick (remember the Pats had one called against them a week or so ago), which went unnoticed as well. Mccourty made contact with his arms first. How can that be considered launching. If the NFL wants their players not to use helmets, play with none. It has gotten ridiculous. Refs need to put their stamp on the game. Dissapointing to say the least.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

Thats a great point , why were all of the bad calls only being called against the Patriots? The Packers didn't get their 1st penalty in the game until midway through the third quarter. It was obvious that they were keeping G.B. in the game.  I love football but when the ref's insert themselves into the outcome thats where I draw the line! This was the worst officiated game I.ve seen since that travesty in Indy in 2007 when that Pats were penalized 140 yds. to 20. To this day I.ve got the scars of Ben Drieth and the roughing the passer call in 1976 , the year we would have won our 1st Super Bowl.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

It was the little extra shove Tully that made the flag legit but it was clear the OL had his hands in Tully's face first and the ref let that foul slide.  I guess the new rule is you can put you hands on the other guys face as long as you don't shove to hard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Ed Hochuli Throws a Late Flag After Watching Jumbotron?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ed Hochuli Throws a Late Flag After Watching Jumbotron? : Well the OTHER thing that was wrong with the Sanders pass interference call is taht the ball was uncatchable.  It landed 5 or 10 yards out of bounds and there was no way it was getting caught anyway.  Uncatchable balls are not supposed to be pass interference. Now it would have been different if they called 'holding' as they were basically citing him for holding.  But they didn't ... it was called pass interference and that was by the rulebook wrong. I believe even if they wanted to call it holding it would have to be before the ball was thrown no ?
    Posted by Stupideeediot[/QUOTE]

It had a Samuel on Lelie 2005 divisional playoff feel to it in Denver when the ball was launched out of the end zone by Plummer and the flag came out 5 seconds after the play was dead.

Sanders had his hand on Driver for sure, but it was not enough to garner a flag, especially where the ball ended up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Let's rank the worst calls from last night:

1. TBC "illegal hands" as his facemask was almost ripped off. This, with 3 minutes left during a Merriweather INT.

2. McCourty Personal Foul. Textbook shoulder lead is flagged due to incidental helmet contact after initial shoulder to chest textbook hit.

3. Edelman Fair Catch with GB gunner acting like he was pushed, making contact.

4. Sanders Pass Interference within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage with minimal contact.

5. Wilfork facemask after being blatantly held, which caused the facemask itself to occur.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Hahahaha I got a little news for everyone....
    Take a guess where Ed Hochuli grew up????

Wisconsin

Guess where Green Bay is???????

Wisconsin

Born and raised a Packers fan!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ed Hochuli Throws a Late Flag After Watching Jumbotron? : I must have missed that. What did he say? He never even references anything remotely close to the refs.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Q:
    "Tully Banta-Cain had the hands-to-the-face penalty. Was it nice to then see him come back and have the sack to end the game?"

BB: "Yeah, I mean, it's good to win. It's good to win. We had a lot of penalties. Look, these guys call the most penalties of any crew in the league and they called them. We knew it was going to be a tight game and it was. We've just got to do a better job of that. I've got to do a better job preparing the team."

Now that within itself doesn't seem that bad, but if you had heard the tone in which he said it, you would easily be able to realize that he wasn't really pleased with the officiating.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ed Hochuli Throws a Late Flag After Watching Jumbotron? : I must have missed that. What did he say? He never even references anything remotely close to the refs.

Not a direct quote but something like this. 'This officiating crew is know for calling a lot of penalties and they certainly did that tonight.' I know it doesn't sound like much but as you said he never mentions the officials. I'm sure he knew Goodell was there too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Of course this all comes down to my rule...Never let the score be close enough for the officials to affect the outcome of the game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In the age of parity, cap era, creepy officiating influences with Rogie's PC NFL, that's far easier said than done.

Most all NFL games are within one or two plays of swining a game and many of those plays are swung on calls that make people wonder just how involved officials are in these games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Don't we all know it. It's why I get such a laugh when the stupid running up the score whining starts. It's the best way to make sure the zebras can't affect the game and why I cringe in the 4th quarter when the score is close and pass coverage tight. I'm just waiting for the shoe ( flag ) to drop.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ed Hochuli Throws a Late Flag After Watching Jumbotron? : Like the hand to Banta Cain's face that he returned in kind only to be flagged... thereby keeping the Packs hopes alive?  
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you should have watched the WHOLE play on TBC.... it wasn't the initial hand that got him in trouble, it was the shove at the end. I don't care how big a Pats fan we all profess to be, that was a No-No. It's like a fight... refs don't see the first punch, only the action therafter. Both TBC and teeh OLineman had their hands in the grills. All's fair at that point. Then TBC gives the shove and here comes the yellow hankies.

Sitting 2800 miles away from New England, last night's game unfolded like the Browns debacle.... no emotion, they had the "we'll show up and take the win" attitude. With two exceptions, Brady wasn't Brady-esque.... ether tossing teh rock OR in his "getting after the guys", on teh field or bench. Their last possession was abysmal at best.... o drive, no attitude... NOTHING. Not even a stinking first down! As the game progressed, it was like they got "perturbed" that the Packers weren't rolling over for them, and the D got chippy. The results? The flag on the helmet to helmet and TBC's boo-boo. Guess what? A 100% focused/poised team doesn't make those mistakes! Especially with the world focused on the attention such activity draws (Thanks, GOD-dull!). If they lost last night, it would have been very deserved. The Pats as a colective franchise should have hit their knees after the game and thanked The Almighty for allowing them to escape with a win. 

For my  Devin McCourty for DROY, did you see the fist TD pass? I believe it was thrown AT McCourty, it went OVER his head into the hands of an OPEN WR, who scored. Did you notice the throws/completions made against him? Then again, we alrady talked about that penalty...... BIG SURPRISE they call stuff like that, huh? Yessir! I could see from the comfort of my Lazy Boy that the Packers FEARED McCourty.  

The Pats won, they will more than likely have home field throughout the playoffs, but need to get their heads screwed on staight EVERY GAME. Last night was a warning.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mykey123. Show mykey123's posts

Hochuli seems to have it in for the Pats. That pass interference call against us was outrageous! Even if there was some interference, the pass was uncatchable as it sailed well outside the end zone. Then, let's not forget, the other 15 yd. penalty against the Pats a few plays before. Hochuli and his crew were GIFTING the Packers with a touchdown on a silver platter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Notice that every Packer drive included at least 1 15 yarder???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]Hochuli seems to have it in for the Pats. That pass interference call against us was outrageous! Even if there was some interference, the pass was uncatchable as it sailed well outside the end zone. Then, let's not forget, the other 15 yd. penalty against the Pats a few plays before. Hochuli and his crew were GIFTING the Packers with a touchdown on a silver platter.
    Posted by mykey123[/QUOTE]

Let's set this to music and you can play it at the annual Whiners' Ball.

Here's a clue: Hochuli's crew tosses the most penalty flags in the NFL. BB knows this and mentioned it in his post-game conference, and took responsibility for not having the team fully prepared to address it or the Packers. Yet, here comes the Pats with a hit that never should have been made and a hands to the face (no, THAT wasn't the penalty causer, it was the SHOVE at the end with the hand STILL inside the grill; perhaps you didn't see the OL guy with his hands on the grill but NO shove?). 

The Pats got caught with their hands in the cookie jar UNNECESSARILLY. Funny how you'll whine about two calls, but don't even begin to question how deplorable the Special Teams were, especially the opening onside kick. Didn't the Pats coaching/scouts mention the bad onside kicks that happened during the day? Evidently not.  Hmmmm.... consistently giving the opposition the ball inside the 25 or between the 35-40? Hmmmmm.... Yeah! Those two penalties on blatantly bad calls caused the "almost loss".  

Gimme a break! What ever happened to objectivity?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

The NFL is so keenly interested in parity, it wouldn't be surprising if they tried to nudge games one way or another, to further their interests.  They've already changed the game to add commercial time-outs. Think of this as the "National Football Advertising League", and imagine their dismay that the upcoming playoffs might include no teams from California, Texas or Florida. No teams in the Mountain or Pacific Time Zones.  But Pittsburgh, KC, St. Louis, Indy - will be represented.  Bad business.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ed Hochuli Throws a Late Flag After Watching Jumbotron? : Let's set this to music and you can play it at the annual Whiners' Ball. Here's a clue: Hochuli's crew tosses the most penalty flags in the NFL. BB knows this and mentioned it in his post-game conference, and took responsibility for not having the team fully prepared to address it or the Packers. Yet, here comes the Pats with a hit that never should have been made and a hands to the face (no, THAT wasn't the penalty causer, it was the SHOVE at the end with the hand STILL inside the grill; perhaps you didn't see the OL guy with his hands on the grill but NO shove?).  The Pats got caught with their hands in the cookie jar UNNECESSARILLY. Funny how you'll whine about two calls, but don't even begin to question how deplorable the Special Teams were, especially the opening onside kick. Didn't the Pats coaching/scouts mention the bad onside kicks that happened during the day? Evidently not.  Hmmmm.... consistently giving the opposition the ball inside the 25 or between the 35-40? Hmmmmm.... Yeah! Those two penalties on blatantly bad calls caused the "almost loss".   Gimme a break! What ever happened to objectivity?
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

It's not about the Pats at all. Hochuli is just a bad ref. He gets all kinds of publicity for his biceps, but really he is not good. He basically makes himself a part of the game. Ask San Diego?

Remember, this is the guy that called Suh for the 15 yard penalty for pushing Cutler after Cutler ran out of the pocket.

BB was right - they had to be on their best behavior for this pompous zebra and they weren't.

Hopefully he is not calling any more Pats games. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ed Hochuli Throws a Late Flag After Watching Jumbotron? : It's not about the Pats at all. Hochuli is just a bad ref. He gets all kinds of publicity for his biceps, but really he is not good. He basically makes himself a part of the game. Ask San Diego? Remember, this is the guy that called Suh for the 15 yard penalty for pushing Cutler after Cutler ran out of the pocket. BB was right - they had to be on their best behavior for this pompous zebra and they weren't. Hopefully he is not calling any more Pats games. 
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

Hochuli is SOOOOO bad that he continues to get plumb post season officiating gigs, which are awarded after grading each game by the league. I'll buy that, and throw in that swamp land in the Sonora desert, the snow capped mountain in Kansas, and that certain bridge in NYC that has been bought/sold millions of times over the years. 

The NFL is no different than any other professional league. Refs all have different ways of doing their jobs. Do you think batters in MLB don't know what a certain home plate umpire's strike zone is BEFORE the game starts (I beklieve it's called "scouting"). How about hockey refs that allow the teams to "play", while others button things down? NBA refs? If you want to find issues, THAT'S where you need to develop your conspiricy theories, especially seeing the imprisonment of the yahoo who admitted to throwing games.

If teh Pats draw Hochuli int eh pst season,a nd they probably will meet uo with him, they need to learn from last night's game. "Play stupid, be stupid, lose stupid."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

What's sad is Ceasar is correct.  If Hochuli did not work with the dumb bells, he wouldn't be as hyped as he is.

The media thinks it's cool that a lawyer with big biceps calls NFL games.

Frankly, I think NFL fans deserve better. I don't care if he is a lawyer or not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]What's sad is Ceasar is correct.  If Hochuli did not work with the dumb bells, he wouldn't be as hyped as he is. The media thinks it's cool that a lawyer with big biceps calls NFL games. Frankly, I think NFL fans deserve better. I don't care if he is a lawyer or not.

Give the vague nature of certain recent "points of emphasis," I think we should all be concerned that NFL officials are part-time guys who often appear as confused as the players are as to what the rules actually say. Complaining about officiating is a fool's errand, but I think consistency  shouldn't be too much to ask for. It's bad enough the the league has confused its players as to how and when (or even if) it is appropriate to tackle receivers and quarterbacks, but when officials themselves don't know what they're looking at, it should be a cause for concern.

Let's not forget that Hochuli is the guy who thought this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw6vxVVXWUM

was "unnecessary roughness,"  and the league actually upheld the call with an inappropriate fine . . .   not because it was actually a foul, or even a very physical play at all . . .   but because the league has to stand behind its officials . . .   no matter how idiotic their decisions turn out to be.

It's very likely we will not hear another word about Hochuli's crew conferring while watching a replay and then issuing a retroactive penalty on Devin McCourty last night, because it is not in the best interests of the league to admit that it's got a bunch of cowboy hobbyists working for it, many of whom have no more idea of what they're watching than you or I.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

AZ Pat:

Don't care what plumb jobs Hochuli gets. If you can name three inexcusable calls by a single ref, that ref is bad.

1. Cutler backwards pass ruled incomplete. Costs San Diego the game;
    2. Suh pushes Cutler from behind; and
    3. Throws flag after watching a replay.

Inexcusable. I know there is one that I am forgetting from last year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Keep in mind that the blown call in Denver cost the Chargers the game. The blown call in Detroit ended up costing the Lions the game. The blown calls last night almost cost the Patriots the game.

Now, obviously teams need to overcome that, which the Pats did, but an official should not keep making calls to decide games. Maybe if he put the whistle away, this wouldn't happen to him so much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Another week two, another blown call at the end of a game for Ed Hochuli. This year's, however, was far less significant than the game-changer that embroiled the NFL's most well-known referee in controversy last season.

With 12 seconds left today in the Packers-Bengals game, Green Bay wide receiver Donald Driver(notes) caught a deep pass from Aaron Rodgers(notes) deep in Bengals territory. The Packers rushed to the line to get off a final play and seemed to snap the ball in time. But a flag was thrown and whistles blew the play dead with zeroes showing on the clock.

The officials congregated before Hochuli made his announcement:

"The game was over before the ball was snapped. There was also a false start on the last play. If the ball had been snapped, there was a false start on the last play which would require a 10-second run-off. So, in either case, the game was over."

Hochuli got the second part right. There was a definite false start on the Packers (players must be set for at least one second and few of the players on the line were set at all) and the run-off associated with the penalty would have ended the game. But he and the other officials were wrong about Green Bay getting the snap off in time.

As the picture above plainly shows, Rodgers had taken a three-step drop as time still showed on the clock. The ball was actually snapped with two seconds left in the game.

With the false start penalty, it's irrelevant. Just like Hochuli said, the game was over either way. But it's interesting that he covered his bases this time just in case. Maybe last year's incident has caused Big Guns to become a little gun shy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

During tonight's Saints-Vikings game in New Orleans, Reggie Bushtook a handoff and was met near the line of scrimmage by Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway. Greenway grabbed Bush's facemask and pulled, jerking Bush's head toward him, and then knocked the ball out of Bush's arm.

The Vikings jumped on the ball, but that shouldn't have mattered. The Vikings would be called for facemasking, the Saints would accept the penalty, and they'd have the ball, first-and-10. Right?

Wrong. The officials missed the facemasking. How they missed it I have no idea: This was a blatant facemask, the kind of clip you'd show to someone who didn't know anything about football if you wanted to explain what facemasking was. There is absolutely no excuse for the officials not calling it.

But they didn't call it, and the fact that the crew that missed the call is led by referee Ed Hochuli is going to be another black mark on Hochuli's record. Heading into this season, Hochuli was probably the most highly respected referee in the NFL. But between his horrendous call on Jay Cutler's Week 2 fumble and tonight's blown call by Hochuli's crew, that reputation is gone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I guess we should give the refs credit for consistancy it seems like every crew at every game stunk