Ed Reed Available

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

Ed Reed Available

@richeisen: This is doing him a favor. Hopefully, he can hook up with team with playoff chance RT @McClain_on_NFL Texans are releasing Ed Reed today.

I am sure BB will look into bringinf him in.  I have to think he is better than what we have.  Lets go get him for the playoff run!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

Re: Ed Reed Available-IGNORE I missed other thread

Ignore pls

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: Ed Reed Available

He got cut for a reason.  He is washed up.  No thanks.  Just another big name with nothing left.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

10 years ago it would have been a great move.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Gregory out with the busted thumb . . . TWilson is a bust . . . we have 10 million under the cap . . . bring him in for a look-see for a few games . . . I'm sure he'd love a shot at another ring and you have to love a guy who is pissed at the team, coaches, and owners because he is not playing . . . the guy wants to be on the field.  A look-see does not hurt!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

i say look at him and see what he can do. maybe with Gregory out you bring him in to teach Harmon some things

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Bring him in as a coach? Yeah I'm all for that. Bring him in as a player? No thanks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

Ed Reed would be great if his skills didn't erode after last year. BB will bring him in if only to gauge what he has left.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:

What have we got to lose?...Sign him up if he makes it through waivers...we've got both the Ravens and Houston coming up...he could help prep us for both...cheap cost for inside info!

+1 ..

400K is the price

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

Has he cleared waivers yet? Or is that tomorrow?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

If he clears all the way to the PAts it is likely they can get him post waiver and do not have to soak up the rest of the contract.

Question is how much has his decline been health related and how much age. With a few games rest can he make a big contribution later?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tenace4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gregory out with the busted thumb . . . TWilson is a bust . . . we have 10 million under the cap . . . bring him in for a look-see for a few games . . . I'm sure he'd love a shot at another ring and you have to love a guy who is pissed at the team, coaches, and owners because he is not playing . . . the guy wants to be on the field.  A look-see does not hurt!

[/QUOTE]

We have 4 million, not 10. Please stop.

If he passes through waivers, the odds go up that BB kicks the tires.  It's all about Reed's ego and desire. If he wants to check the ego and still play, then welcome. If not, no thanks.

I still question why he thought Schaub and Kubiak represented high odds to get to the SB from the AFC.

The answer is, that was the best team that offered him the most money which means his decision was money first, which is concerning at this point. Does he have the hunger?

[/QUOTE]

Right he did get his SB.

Think with his hip issue he might not want to be in every play but come in for key moments.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Tydog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Teams have 24 hours from a player being placed on waivers to make a claim. I doubt he gets to the Pats.  New Orleans, Indy, Cinci, Philly, etc. will all get a crack at him first and his contract is not an issue.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Could be interesting. He may be on the last leg.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Tydog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Teams have 24 hours from a player being placed on waivers to make a claim. I doubt he gets to the Pats.  New Orleans, Indy, Cinci, Philly, etc. will all get a crack at him first and his contract is not an issue.  

[/QUOTE]

Contract is an issue for teams with cap problems.  I also wonder if a team that isn't a real SB contender in his eyes, forces his retirement.  Cincy? Indy?  I wouldn't be shocked if he passed through waivers simply because he wouldn't want to just play for anyone.  

Cowboys are out.  NOs did lose Vacarro with a concussion which could be an issue.

[/QUOTE]

Most teams can fit his remaining 2013 salary, it's only about $400K. Some may not, but I just don't see him clearing waivers for that kind of money. He can retire but he can't refuse waivers.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I kind of doubt that BB would even be interested at this point.  Gregory should be back soon, it was just a thumb, and he and DMC have been a pretty good tandem, IMO.  Harmon has played pretty well in his limited time, so throwing Reed into the mix would only hurt his development.  I bet  NE will pass on Reed, even if they have a shot at him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I kind of doubt that BB would even be interested at this point.  Gregory should be back soon, it was just a thumb, and he and DMC have been a pretty good tandem, IMO.  Harmon has played pretty well in his limited time, so throwing Reed into the mix would only hurt his development.  I bet  NE will pass on Reed, even if they have a shot at him.

[/QUOTE]

I look at Reed as an upgrade over Ebner. To me, it's that simple.  Harmon has played well and Gregory will come back in a cast and be fine in  month, but if other teams pass, it's a no brainer to bring him in.

[/QUOTE]

When you compare him to Ebner, then I agree it makes a lot of sense.  It's kind of a head-scratcher to me why Ebner is on this team.  I know BB must love him as a special teamer, but I don't think he is that special, even in that department.  BB seems to like Ebs though, so I can't foresee him cutting him to add Reed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Ed Reed.. last hurrah?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'd be a little shocked if BB didn't kick the tires on Reed. He's been pretty straightforward ... Ed Reed is one of Bill's favorite players in the NFL ... end stop. 

I don't know about the fit here, given NE already has an excellent FS, but Reed is a big time vet who plays hard. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Ed Reed is going to be a Pat.  Book it.

All the reasons that people have listed why not to take his contract means he will clear waivers.  Simple .  If it makes no sense to Pats, then nobody.  Pats have the money and glaring need.  Other teams don't. 

Once he gets past waivers tomorrow,   he is free to make his deal with the Patriots.  One year deal with options and incentives.   Happens tomorrow or thursday.  Develin will get moved to practice squad.  Probly 2 late to get him into carolina game but maybe not since monday nite gives them an extra day and a half.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

coolada.... IF it happens, and it is a BIG IF, more power to BB and his ability to bring in the right players at the right time to help the team.  With the Ravens floundering, hooking up with the Pats gives him a good shot and to play with a coach who respects and likes him goes a long way.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

i love Ed Reed and really respect his career and really want the Pats to sign this guy i love his swagger as well though. he, Talib & spikes could give this D a real attitude

but i gotta say one thing: that guy looks stoned sh1tless all the time lol. its hilarious

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

coolada.... IF it happens, and it is a BIG IF, more power to BB and his ability to bring in the right players at the right time to help the team.  With the Ravens floundering, hooking up with the Pats gives him a good shot and to play with a coach who respects and likes him goes a long way.

[/QUOTE]

agree...  have a good feeling about this one.  Reed is the kind of player that can elevate his game.  As long as he's healthy ,  BB will sign him.  After that, let the magic begin.  BB and ed reed collaborating on defensive scheme,  showing MCC a few tricks of the trade along with Harmon, TWilson, Ebner.  Its a no-brainer. 

belichick is sketching x's and O's right now , no doubt.  Putting "ed"  here, Putting 'Ed" there.  He's got a huge smile on his face.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i love Ed Reed and really respect his career and really want the Pats to sign this guy i love his swagger as well though. he, Talib & spikes could give this D a real attitude

but i gotta say one thing: that guy looks stoned sh1tless all the time lol. its hilarious

[/QUOTE]

I remember seeing him play, as I am sure many have when he was with Miami, and thinking....this guy is a pro's pro and will go to the HOF.  

A good BC club was driving down the field to win the game in 2001ish in Chestnut Hill and this guy was in the perfect spot to field a hand off from an INT off a teammate, very similarly to how Troy Antwan Harris took that FG block in the 2001 AFC title game and ran it back. Not comparing those players, but that is the kind of stuff Reed did. He just was always in the right place all the time. It was uncanny.

Lott was the best I've seen, Reed second.  A close second.

[/QUOTE]

yeah thats Ed Reed a hard hitting ball hawk who just gets the friggn job done. a grinder. and honestly, a BB type of guy

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ed Reed is going to be a Pat.  Book it.

All the reasons that people have listed why not to take his contract means he will clear waivers.  Simple .  If it makes no sense to Pats, then nobody.  Pats have the money and glaring need.  Other teams don't. 

Once he gets past waivers tomorrow,   he is free to make his deal with the Patriots.  One year deal with options and incentives.   Happens tomorrow or thursday.  Develin will get moved to practice squad.  Probly 2 late to get him into carolina game but maybe not since monday nite gives them an extra day and a half.

[/QUOTE]

But that's just it,he won't clear waivers. His contract is not an issue. It's only a $1 mil salary for the full year meaning it will only cost $400K in 2013 cap dollars to claim him on waivers.

The Pats are 28th in the pecking order. I can't imagine any scenario where he gets by 27 teams, probably 23 of which can afford him.  I would say Indy and New Orleans are two that are no brainers. 

Re the Saints, he's a Louisiana guy, their safety just got hurt, they have cap space and they're a contender. If that's not a done deal, I don't know what is?

Sections
Shortcuts