Ed Reed Available

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Re: Ed Reed Available

If he signs here, he'll surely end up on injured reserve......see John Lynch, Adrian Wilson but it couldn't hurt..........hurt......hahahahaha    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Contract is an issue for teams with cap problems.  I also wonder if a team that isn't a real SB contender in his eyes, forces his retirement.  Cincy? Indy?  I wouldn't be shocked if he passed through waivers simply because he wouldn't want to just play for anyone.  

Cowboys are out.  NOs did lose Vacarro with a concussion which could be an issue.

Umm, anyone that makes the playoffs is a contender, doofus. Especially this year.

Bet you called Baltimore a non contender last year too Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

If the Saints dont claim him I think BB will sign him.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Sign him.  If it's BB, Reed will be happy to not play every down.  He'll be happy to minimize his injury risk AND he'll have a bigger impact making the clutch play when he's called out there. Add Reed to Talib, McCourty, and Dennard, it's good enough to give Gomer memories of 2003-4

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

If we sign Reed, maybe he can talk Ray Lewis out of retirement as well..................

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

My prediction is Reed will go to the Jets.

That would suck....

for him!  They won't be going to the SB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gregory out with the busted thumb . . . TWilson is a bust . . . we have 10 million under the cap . . . bring him in for a look-see for a few games . . . I'm sure he'd love a shot at another ring and you have to love a guy who is pissed at the team, coaches, and owners because he is not playing . . . the guy wants to be on the field.  A look-see does not hurt!

[/QUOTE]

Actually 4.1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

A team claiming Ed Reed would owe him $412k + $62.5k for each game he is active. Team would also owe Texans $824k for Reed's salary advance

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I agree kick the tires. Nothing to lose to have him come in.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

A team claiming Ed Reed would owe him $412k + $62.5k for each game he is active. Team would also owe Texans $824k for Reed's salary advance

Thank you TFB12...   I knew it wasn't as simple as paying him 412,000 as muzwell stated.  He signed for big money in Houston and that's the reason he's being dumped. 

It's also the reason he will clear waivers and be signed by BB.  Just have to break out the #20 jersey.  Isn't that the number he wore...?

belichick is sketching x's and O's right now , no doubt.  Putting "ed"  here, Putting 'Ed" there.  He's got a huge smile on his face.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Oh sh1t...   # 20  patriots jersey "retired" for Gino friekin cappaletti.   Hopefully not a deal breaker.

Hey Gino if you're still on top of it , how about unretiring your number for 1 season....?  It would be a great thing to do and you could get on TV again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The total cap hit for a team claiming Reed is the salary plus the 62.5 per game active roster bonus, which I had overlooked. Any previously paid bonus or other money stays entirely with the Texans. The total cap hit is a maximum of $849K (or less if he's not active in any games).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thank you TFB12...   I knew it wasn't as simple as paying him 412,000 as muzwell stated.  He signed for big money in Houston and that's the reason he's being dumped. 

It's also the reason he will clear waivers and be signed by BB.  Just have to break out the #20 jersey.  Isn't that the number he wore...?

belichick is sketching x's and O's right now , no doubt.  Putting "ed"  here, Putting 'Ed" there.  He's got a huge smile on his face.

[/QUOTE]

It's not a salary dump, Houston only saves $400K in cap by cutting him now - assuming a team claims him off waivers (they save nothing if he doesn't play). They're still on the hook for all of the bonus money he was paid, which will be dead money.

The Pats can afford him but they only have $3.9 mil available under the cap, not $10 mil that some seem to think. They're in the middle of the pack in that regard, but there are teams with much, much more.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thank you TFB12...   I knew it wasn't as simple as paying him 412,000 as muzwell stated.  He signed for big money in Houston and that's the reason he's being dumped. 

[/QUOTE]

It's not a salary dump, Houston only saves $400K in cap by cutting him now - assuming a team claims him off waivers (they save nothing if he doesn't play). They're still on the hook for all of the bonus money he was paid, which will be dead money.

The Pats can afford him but they only have $3.9 mil available under the cap, not $10 mil that some seem to think. They're in the middle of the pack in that regard, but there are teams with much, much more.

[/QUOTE]

OK granted.  Now who can pull this off.?   All the teams that Reed doesn't want to go to are just like houston....   Meaning if he don't wanna play there , they dont wanna pay him that money...  as if a million bucks means nothing.

The only way this works is Belichick.  Simple.  The 2 guys finally get together and it will be great to see.  Look for the announcement either later today or tomorrow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ed Reed is going to be a Pat.  Book it.

All the reasons that people have listed why not to take his contract means he will clear waivers.  Simple .  If it makes no sense to Pats, then nobody.  Pats have the money and glaring need.  Other teams don't. 

Once he gets past waivers tomorrow,   he is free to make his deal with the Patriots.  One year deal with options and incentives.   Happens tomorrow or thursday.  Develin will get moved to practice squad.  Probly 2 late to get him into carolina game but maybe not since monday nite gives them an extra day and a half.

[/QUOTE]

But that's just it,he won't clear waivers. His contract is not an issue. It's only a $1 mil salary for the full year meaning it will only cost $400K in 2013 cap dollars to claim him on waivers.

The Pats are 28th in the pecking order. I can't imagine any scenario where he gets by 27 teams, probably 23 of which can afford him.  I would say Indy and New Orleans are two that are no brainers. 

Re the Saints, he's a Louisiana guy, their safety just got hurt, they have cap space and they're a contender. If that's not a done deal, I don't know what is?

[/QUOTE]

NOLA won't snag him imo. Yes, they are dinged up and Vaccaro was just injured. But right now they have a number of competent safeties. Harper, Jenkins, Vaccaro, and Rafael Bush, along with a younger guy named Quduh. They need a spot starter, no way they would even carry another safety on that roster. The position, as dinged as it is this week, is a position of strength for them. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A lot of this has to do with Reed's comments, critical of the defensive coordinator, and the fact that Reed isn't/wasn't ready to play. He basically missed the entire pre-season and was slotted in 6 weeks ago. 

I won't venture to guess what he has left because Texas is not an exceptionally well coached team (I agree with him, they never mix it up on either front). 

I erring on the side of Wade or Reed ... I'd err on the side of the first ballot HOFer. 

That said .... I expect Reed to clear waivers. No one is going to pick up that check for Texas. Reed's just not a commodity until he can prove that his statistical/ depth chart decline had more to do with the injury, short practice, and the general disarray in Texas than age.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK granted.  Now who can pull this off.?   All the teams that Reed doesn't want to go to are just like houston....   Meaning if he don't wanna play there , they dont wanna pay him that money...  as if a million bucks means nothing.

The only way this works is Belichick.  Simple.  The 2 guys finally get together and it will be great to see.  Look for the announcement either later today or tomorrow.

[/QUOTE]

$850K is pretty much chump change in the NFL, provided there is adequate cap space. But anyway, Reed has no say in the matter. If the Raiders claim him he has to go there or retire. It's not a negotiation.

Contending teams that can easily afford to claim him are: SF, Denver (close to $7 mil in cap space), Carolina ($12 mil), Detroit, KC, Dallas, SD, Cinci ($8 mil), NYJ, Cleve ($24 mil), Philly ($17 mil). Indy and New Orleans can claim him as well, but they're both tight. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Reed most likely goes to some one that also offers him a deal that includes next year as well. I dont think the Pats do that...

Word to BB...watch the tape! Reed is not going to help this team, will complain if he is not playing, and will not play ST's

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If BB thinks that Reed can help the team then he'll bring him in for a workout and sign him if there's something left.  That said, Reed will probably be claimed before the Pats can get to him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

$850K is pretty much chump change in the NFL, provided there is adequate cap space. But anyway, Reed has no say in the matter. If the Raiders claim him he has to go there or retire. It's not a negotiation.

Contending teams that can easily afford to claim him are: SF, Denver (close to $7 mil in cap space), Carolina ($12 mil), Detroit, KC, Dallas, SD, Cinci ($8 mil), NYJ, Cleve ($24 mil), Philly ($17 mil). Indy and New Orleans can claim him as well, but they're both tight. 

[/QUOTE]

You make a good point on paper but that is not what dictates this situation IMO.   Oakland can claim him but they are known for throwing money at aging players (seymour) and getting burned.  So no go, since reed will clearly underperform in that situation.

The other teams are possibilities of course but as ZBellino points out there is the cost value/roster puzzle that faces these teams in conjunction with the unknown with what you're getting i.e. motivation.  Every team wants a motivated productive player .  At this stage of Reeds career he will elevate his game and performance in only one place for one guy ...  New England and Bill Belichick.

The only other possibility to consider IMO would be some kind of blocking strategy for some team (AFC perhaps) that makes the move to Block Belichick from getting Reed.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I wonder if a player is contacted prior to a team claiming him off the waiver wire to gauge their interest in joining that team?

In this case, would Reed say that his heart would be in it for one team and if any others select him, he'd chose to retire.  Could he do that and tell a team his preference is to play for a particular team?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

If he can play DT sign him up. That's where we need the most help. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if a player is contacted prior to a team claiming him off the waiver wire to gauge their interest in joining that team?

In this case, would Reed say that his heart would be in it for one team and if any others select him, he'd chose to retire.  Could he do that and tell a team his preference is to play for a particular team?

[/QUOTE]

That may be done through back channels, but I believe it would be tampering for a team to contact the player because until waivers are completed, he's still on the team that waived him - but I could be wrong on that.

But there's nothing stopping a player like Reed from going to the media and telling teams he won't play for them that way. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

So, Muz...  a team can't contact Reed UNLESS they claim him off waivers?

IE - let's say 26 teams have already passed and the 27th wants to gauge his interest in joining them if claimed.  They can't contact him before deciding to claim him or pass? I was not implying the Pats would contact him in advance to gauge his interest in joining them, for example.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So, Muz...  a team can't contact Reed UNLESS they claim him off waivers?

IE - let's say 26 teams have already passed and the 27th wants to gauge his interest in joining them if claimed.  They can't contact him before deciding to claim him or pass? I was not implying the Pats would contact him in advance to gauge his interest in joining them, for example.

[/QUOTE]

as of 3:00 PM Ed Reed not claimed on waivers, as predicted.  Also the reason predicted was likely money since ED WERDER reports any team taking REED off waivers would be responsible for 2 million dollars.  (in salary and dead money no doubt)...So Reed is about to be a free man to sit and chat with BB.    Sweeet.   Ravens have also turned their back on him,  satisfied with James Ihedhibo. 

So all you  people out there get ready for MR.ED REED New England Patriot.....  What he has left we are about to find out.  IMO,  more than his stats have shown.

Sections
Shortcuts