Edelman and the Patriots are working on a contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Edelman and the Patriots are working on a contract

In response to APpats22's comment:

Hopefully it doesn't reach 5 mill per year. I like Edelman but we don't need him to be that expensive either.

It will be what Bill thinks is proper value and if Edleman doesn't take it, he will not be a PATRIOTS player. JE will be a PATRIOTS player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

01.00: RUMOR! Wide receiver Julian Edelman’s venture into the open market has sent him back to New England according to Ben Volk. The former Patriot has tested the free agency waters, but with some of his potential suitors making moves for wide receivers, it may be in his best interest to return to New England.

from profootballfocus.com

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I guess he is finding out he is not worth the money he thinks he is.  The offers from other teams, if made, are not significantly more than what the Pats have offered to make him want to move to another team with no playoff chances.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The market for WR was weak, he had a one year track record, plus Pats WRs often don't repeat elswhere.  The Pats are also really good at reading the market.  They no doubt knew what he'd get before free agency started.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would give him the same contract Amendola got, but with more guaranteed, and less on the books this year.  That way next year when Amendola goes bye bye, Edelmans cap hit increases. 

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't deserve what Amendola got...neither did Amendola.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that Baltimore has signed Steve Smith, and Cleveland has inked Hawkins, resigning with the Patriots may be the last, best opportunity for Jules.

[/QUOTE]

BB knew the market....again....oh no, it was Lombardi!!! LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

Which means BB also knows that Edelman really isn't that good.  

There's a reason why the market for Edelman is what it is and he can't get a big deal.  It's because most teams see him as just a back-up.

We need better receivers.  I have some hope that BB will address that need this offseason with something more interesting than Edelman. 

That said, I do hope we keep Edelman because he is good depth and he can return punts well. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Edelmans value is to the Pats. He know the system and Brady trusts him. Assuming he is back and as long as he stays healthy he will catch a good percentage of balls in this offense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

I have to wonder. If I know one think about Tom Brady, its that every year he picks his favorite target. He really does. Thinking Brown, Branch, Moss, Wleker, and Gronk when he is healthy. Last year it was Edelman. Brady is a once in a lifetime type of athlete. Thinking Russell, Orr, Bird type of mold.

Once in a lifetime athletes make others around them much more productive than they normally would be. Regardless of the money I wonder how much that plays into Julian's thinking. He is a very good play and if he went to these other teams he'd still be a very good player. But, if he stays here he's got real a change at being a great player.

Money is money and we can all aprrecaite that basic need, but they apportunity to play at his fullest level like he did last years got to play into his thoughts. 

I know I sure like his game. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Now that Baltimore has signed Steve Smith, and Cleveland has inked Hawkins, resigning with the Patriots may be the last, best opportunity for Jules.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's a reason why the market for Edelman is what it is and he can't get a big deal.  It's because most teams see him as just a back-up.

We need better receivers.  I have some hope that BB will address that need this offseason with something more interesting than Edelman. 

That said, I do hope we keep Edelman because he is good depth and he can return punts well. 

[/QUOTE]

+1, I don't know why other people can't see that if 31 othe teams don't want him and that's the reason we get him maybe you should see why. I've waited Edelman back for the right price so we'll see what that price is and hope he comes back (provided they can add some more weapons for Brady before camp opens) but that the guy had 1 healthy season of 5 and that Brady had no one else to throw to other than Edelman might be why teams aren't buying big on him to big with. He shouldn't be Brady's #1 target. 3rd or 4th target yeah sure, esp if you have someone just as good behind him in case he gets injured but not #1 like last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

^INCORRECT. What it means is that BB and JE's camps came to an agreement that JE would go out, get a measure of his actual value to other teams with the understanding that the PATS would negotiate with JE with the additional information. NOBODY said that JE didn't get a competative offer. We all know JE's first and best choice is the New England Patriots. Now he will get a solid deal all while knowing his true market value. WIN-WIN.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

PatsEng...   the issue with Edelman is he only "came out" AFTER Welker was gone.  Plus add to the fact there were really no other WRs, Gronk was injured most of the season, with no other TE threats really working out for the Pats last season, Brady went to Edelman time and time again.  I presume the question other teams may have been asking is: "If not for Brady throwing to you, are you that good regardless of the QB?"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He only took a one year deal? What a fool. He's the worst or second to worst(Thompkins) on the roster. He better pray for injuries, because if Boyce, Dobson and Amendola stay healthy, he may have just thrown away a ton of cash.

I doubt Edelman catches 30 balls, plays all 16 or if there is a market for him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

He onlt took a one year deal? What a fool. He's the worst or second to worst(Thompkins) on the roster. He better pray for injuries, because if Boyce, Dobson and Amendola stay healthy, he may have just thrown away a ton of cash.

[/QUOTE]

Really?  He played good ball last season and you think the Pats will just turn away from his production just because why?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

This contract with Jules will get done, not that Jules realizes that he's overestimated his value. But, signing Jules or five other WRs are not going to lead to a title. To win a championship, the Pats must strengthen their offensive and defensive line. They must upgrade at OC and at RG, add a rotational pass-rusher, and must find a rugged DT in the draft that can stuff the run, and collapse the pass pocket. 

I am expecting them to look to draft a DT in May.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Wakeup people, Edelman is not the answer to any of the teams receiving issues.  He's part of the problem.  

He's a very good punt returner and average at best Receiver.  Stop being Hoarders and realize when it time to throw out the junk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from guesmem2011. Show guesmem2011's posts

[QUOTE]

This contract with Jules will get done, not that Jules realizes that he's overestimated his value. But, signing Jules or five other WRs are not going to lead to a title. To win a championship, the Pats must strengthen their offensive and defensive line. They must upgrade at OC and at RG, add a rotational pass-rusher, and must find a rugged DT in the draft that can stuff the run, and collapse the pass pocket. 

I am expecting them to look to draft a DT in May.

[/QUOTE] Nice, succinct analysis....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutofTownPATS Fan. Show OutofTownPATS Fan's posts

In response to EastTraveler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Doesn't Amendola possibly deserve another year considering he played hurt all season for the most part? Are we too quick to dismiss his possible contributions to the team? Just thinking out loud here...

[/QUOTE]

thats the problem, he's hurt all season every season

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

dont waste the $ on him. 2year/8mil tops.

1year 3.5 mil.

im not kidding. if he has no market again why give him one?

save that $$ for a DE. maybe bring in James Jones for a visit too

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He onlt took a one year deal? What a fool. He's the worst or second to worst(Thompkins) on the roster. He better pray for injuries, because if Boyce, Dobson and Amendola stay healthy, he may have just thrown away a ton of cash.

[/QUOTE]

Really?  He played good ball last season and you think the Pats will just turn away from his production just because why?

[/QUOTE]

I bet Amendola gets more catches and yards than him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wakeup people, Edelman is not the answer to any of the teams receiving issues.  He's part of the problem.  

He's a very good punt returner and average at best Receiver.  Stop being Hoarders and realize when it time to throw out the junk.

[/QUOTE]

Yep. Preach it, bro. Edelman is offensive Ninkovich.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I don't get the lack of understanding when considering the importance of Edelman.  

He is without a doubt - a top 3 punt returner.

A trusted WR, friend of TB.

Locker room leader - always practices and plays hard.

Not to mention...

Highest Comp Pct by QB-WR Duo
    Last Season

Brady-Edelman 70.5%

Brees-Colston 68.2%

Manning-Welker 67.6%

Roethlisberger-Brown 67.5%

*Min. 75 att (41 combos)

Sections
Shortcuts